Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I give more? The answer is usually yes

Options
  • 07-03-2014 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭

I'm a married 35 yr old father of one, started running in late 2010 to accompany my Dad on a race and done nothing again till March 2011. Ran the Clontarf Half that year in under 1.45 and again done nothing for 3-4 months. Started taking it more seriously in 2012 and hoped to run DCM that year but a bout of plantar faciitis put an end to that.

Started back again in October 2012 and from then till May 2013 i was in my best form since i took running up. Ran all my PBs in that period. Cue June last year i went in for a supposed simple operation that would see me off running for max 6 weeks, two knee ops later i'm back running since mid February and back chasing my old self. List of my PBs below:

5k - 18.47 (May 13)
    5mile - 31.43 ( April 13)
    10k - 41.10 (February 13)
    10 mile - 67.39 (March 13)
    Half Marathon - 1.31.39 (May 13)

Any input/advice/abuse greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Best of luck Tang, great to see the log up and running (pun intended).

Any goals for the year, apart from staying injury free?

Hope to see you again at a race in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Cheers AMK, goal as you say is stay injury free for 12 months at least. Hope to run Clonmel Half in August and things going well do Athlone Half month later. No aspirations for a marathon this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Chips or hill st blues??!!

Good idea to skip the marathon this year.

All going well I'll see you in clonmel

Gavlor wrote: »
    Chips or hill st blues??!!

Good idea to skip the marathon this year.

All going well I'll see you in clonmel

The Professionals all the way, Bodie & Doyle are legends!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great to see you back on boards tang and logging also!

Here's hoping you'll be injury free for the long term as there is plenty of potential there to reap!

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Great to see you back on boards tang and logging also!

Here's hoping you'll be injury free for the long term as there is plenty of potential there to reap!

Cheers J, if i could get 12 months injury free i'd be a happy man. At least with the log here ye can keep me honest. Hows the toe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Best of luck. Great to see you back running :)

Best of luck. Great to see you back running :)

Thanks c_m, your dabbling in multi-sport events i see, only one to add to the list and you'll be over on the tri logs!!

Mon - 3.2 miles
    Thurs - 4.5 miles
    Fri - 2.3 miles

Total - 10 miles for the week, pace of no importance currently. Will do 3 runs a week for next while and try to push it to 4 times in 3-4 weeks time. Currently weighing 90kgs, thats 12 kilos heavier than i was starting the Enniscorthy Half last May, the last race i ran. On another note and taken from Tom Joads log, i'm a non-smoker 5 yrs as of this day last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Best of luck man, good to see you back.

• Advertisement

3.5 miles in 33min 40sec (9.38 min/mile) yesterday evening. Comfortable run breathing wise but my legs are like a new born childs, zero strength in them at the minute. On another note we were in Donegal on Sunday for dinner with my wifes family. Her folks are 52 YEARS married, fook me if i live till 52 i'll be happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Welcome back mate. Delighted to see you out running again.

Welcome back mate. Delighted to see you out running again.

Cheers PM, superb result at the weekend, keep it going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Welcome back tang - hope you stay injury free and well done on the smokes too. :)

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Welcome back tang - hope you stay injury free and well done on the smokes too. :)

Thanks TJ, good to see that achilles injury didnt keep you off your feet for to long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good to see you back tang, you've been through the ringer with injuries. Hope you can put it behind you and put down a good spell of training.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Good to see you back tang, you've been through the ringer with injuries. Hope you can put it behind you and put down a good spell of training.

Cheers pconn, hope things brighten up injury wise for yourself to.

Went for a cycle this afternoon, 25.50km in 52min 38sec including once up the Hill of Tara. This was tough going & i pushed myself to my current limit. Sweated bucketloads doing it in what was a lovely day for exercise. Knee gave no adverse reaction to it to thankfully.

4.5miles in 41min 23sec(9.13min/miles)

Legs felt ok after yesterdays cycle and again no negative feedback from the knee. My hips are seriously tight since i started back running, can anybody advise on a stretching exercise to do to help loosen them out. Its not an area i've had problems with before, my left hip feels locked out at times and movement in it can be stiff at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

tang1 wrote: »
    4.5miles in 41min 23sec(9.13min/miles)

Legs felt ok after yesterdays cycle and again no negative feedback from the knee. My hips are seriously tight since i started back running, can anybody advise on a stretching exercise to do to help loosen them out. Its not an area i've had problems with before, my left hip feels locked out at times and movement in it can be stiff at times.

I'd be interested in a few of these stretches too.

I've often wondered why there isn't a sticky thread on the main page with the most effective stretches in it which could include embedded youtube videos. Perhaps some of the guys in the know like ecoli, Stazza, etc. would be able to advise on it best.
    Mods: Any thoughts on this?? [/hijack]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

RayCun (when he was a mod) posted up a document with stretches and strenghtening exercise on it which was very good and I still follow it. Can't find the post as I printed it down at the time - will have another look for it and see do I have it electronically - was probably about 18 months ago or so.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056782192&page=2 Post #27 is the one!

Hope this works - doc I was talking about - agree though that would be a great thread (preferably stickied) on the main A/R page.

4miles in 35min 16sec(8.49 min/mile)

Ran this to fast to be honest, this is the first time my knee has given me pain since i started back running. It wasn't pain to stop me just dull pain at the front of my knee. Hopefully its a once off, double figure miles wise 2 weeks running for first time since i cant remember, YAHOO!! Have been on a run of 5am starts work wise since Tuesday find them a killer, last one in the morning for while thankfully.

WTD - 12
    MTD - 22
    YTD - 55

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good to see you back in action! Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

hiya tang1 - happy to see you logging. will be following. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just spotted your log now. Good to see you back. Best of luck with the comeback!

Cheers RR, nice running in Balbriggan 2day.

4 miles 37min 21sec(9.20 min/miles)

Done on the treadmill at work, hate it, but needs must. Feel like you have to work alot harder running on a treadmill than on the road. Done loads of stretching after.

WTD - 4miles
    MTD - 26miles
    YTD - 59miles

5.04miles 44min 29sec(8.50min/miles)
    Breathing wise this was the most comfortable run i've had since starting back. Legs wise still lacking strength and i thought my hips were going to seize up towards the end of this, i have noticed that since returning to running my stride is more of a shuffle like i'm in need of a $hite all the time. Maybe that has something to do with the hips, not overly concerned about it at the minute as i'm only 3 weeks back into it.

WTD - 9.04miles
    MTD - 31.04miles
    YTD - 64.04miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

tang1 wrote: »
    Maybe that has something to do with the hips, not overly concerned about it at the minute as i'm only 3 weeks back into it.

Maybe now is the ideal time to be concerned about it?

You dont want poor form / hip compensation causing some other issue with the knees??

Worthwhile looking into it before you increase the miles.

• Advertisement

Maybe now is the ideal time to be concerned about it?

You dont want poor form / hip compensation causing some other issue with the knees??

Worthwhile looking into it before you increase the miles.

Maybe your right, i know from past experience carrying extra weight doesn't help my form and hoping this might be affecting the hips. I'll give it another week of running but if it doesn't improve by then i'll be taking your advice.

Advertisement