Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congestion in Eircom (or Eircom resell products) - Are you affected?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

robocode wrote: »
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: No but local technician checked the line from the exchange, blamed congestion

Congestion is not an excuse. One or more of the upstream elements (eg backhaul) is under-scaled in capacity terms. A broadband fiddle.

Not unlike a distillery producing say vodka. When the distillery is quiet, with not a lot of demand on production, the vodka has 40% alcohol. But at peak times, coming up to Christmas, the product might only have 10% alcohol. Due to the busyness of the distillery. Congestion. Rubbish vodka on the shop shelf.

While Ireland has the cheapest international connectivity to the rest of the world according to the OECD, it seems to me that non-Irish websites can be extremely slow when used from Ireland.

Irish broadband customers are being screwed by any network I have used. Competition isn't working. Neither Comreg nor the Government seems to be doing anything about it.

The market has been carved up by two companies who control everything (aside from mobile) - eircom and UPC.

Consumers who put up with this are also guilty. Of being idiots.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What's the alternative? Gather a crowd and storm Eircom HQ? At least UPC forced Eircom to get into the Fiber market

nuxxx wrote: »
    What's the alternative? Gather a crowd and storm Eircom HQ? At least UPC forced Eircom to get into the Fiber market

Neither eircom nor UPC has a real end to end fibre network. Therein lies the problem. Fiber in their case is a misleading marketing catchphrase. Both networks use copper in the chain, and a chain is as strong as its weakest link etc.

What is needed is a Government initiated, outsourced via well drafted tender, a single FTTP (fibre to every premises - home and commercial - nationwide) which is shared by all telcos, ISPs, content delivery services etc. The fibre to be in state ownership, privately managed.

The user could then change supplier if they are dissatisfied with their current provider, the same way as one can change from one electricity co to another. The same single grid plumbs the entire country.

It is a mark of the maturity of an industry - we have only one network of motorways, roads etc. But one can chose from dozens of makes and model of car, truck etc, not to mention public transport or even walk on the single public right of way system.

The country has a big problem providing decent coverage to rural areas - fibre is the cheapest solution for laying a new network. Ditto in urban areas where there is congestion in pathways (I don't mean footpaths! - rather ducts, mobile cellsites etc).

Solutions using copper are more than 100 years old and it is high time the system was updated. Vast sums of money are wasted by eircom and UPC tinkering with their network every few years in the ever losing game of trying to provide enough bandwidth for new applications that emerge on the marketplace. Literally billions for piecemeal "upgrades". Money that would pay for a new fibre network that would have a very long, very low maintenance cost, high speed network.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Impetus wrote: »
    Neither eircom nor UPC has a real end to end fibre network. Therein lies the problem. Fiber in their case is a misleading marketing catchphrase. Both networks use copper in the chain, and a chain is as strong as its weakest link etc.

What is needed is a Government initiated, outsourced via well drafted tender, a single FTTP (fibre to every premises - home and commercial - nationwide) which is shared by all telcos, ISPs, content delivery services etc. The fibre to be in state ownership, privately managed.

The user could then change supplier if they are dissatisfied with their current provider, the same way as one can change from one electricity co to another. The same single grid plumbs the entire country.

It is a mark of the maturity of an industry - we have only one network of motorways, roads etc. But one can chose from dozens of makes and model of car, truck etc, not to mention public transport or even walk on the single public right of way system.

The country has a big problem providing decent coverage to rural areas - fibre is the cheapest solution for laying a new network. Ditto in urban areas where there is congestion in pathways (I don't mean footpaths! - rather ducts, mobile cellsites etc).

Solutions using copper are more than 100 years old and it is high time the system was updated. Vast sums of money are wasted by eircom and UPC tinkering with their network every few years in the ever losing game of trying to provide enough bandwidth for new applications that emerge on the marketplace. Literally billions for piecemeal "upgrades". Money that would pay for a new fibre network that would have a very long, very low maintenance cost, high speed network.

There's already a full thread on this (Ill ad the link in a sec), but to summarize:
    • All telcos use Fibre to descrive FTTC, eg FiOS in the US
    • FTTH is too expensive, nobody can afford to roll it out right now, and if they could it would be urban only
    • Coax can do 1Gbps per subscriber, thats plenty for the next 5yrs +
    • Municipal Fibre IS the best solution, but our government could never run something like that effectivley. Rabbite wouldnt even know what you meant
    • The current upgrades that you are complaining about actually lead the way for FTTH in the future as it puts fibre within a KM of most homes

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

Your location/exchange:Tramore
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):8mb/s
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): .9mb/s
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?:yes
    Was there any fault found in your line?:no
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?:I have been on the phone over 5 hours no fix
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: December

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    There's already a full thread on this (Ill ad the link in a sec), but to summarize:
    All telcos use Fibre to descrive FTTC, eg FiOS in the US
    No they don't. There are dozens of FTTP networks in the EU and Asia. please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_premises_by_country (it is not up to date - ie there are a lot more than are listed on this page)

FTTH is too expensive, nobody can afford to roll it out right now, and if they could it would be urban only
    Fibre is cheaper to provide in rural areas than in urban because there are fewer barriers to laying the fibre. It can be run from pole to pole along phone or electricity poles / pylons - in cities there is more congestion, but there it benefits from more properties passed per km of fibre.

Coax can do 1Gbps per subscriber, thats plenty for the next 5yrs +
    While coax can do 1 Gbps/sec due to the layout of cable, that has to be shared on a cable that runs from door to door - causing uneven contention depending on the amount of usage at each premises.

For example you could run a copper pair phone line between yourself and your neighbour next door and it would no doubt do for the odd conversation or sharing a phone line. It might even work OK as a "party line" for two or three houses. But if the same line was shared between 50 or 100 houses (ignoring electrical engineering issues) it would be saturated and virtually everybody would be dissatisfied.

Municipal Fibre IS the best solution, but our government could never run something like that effectivley. Rabbite wouldnt even know what you meant
    Municipal fibre is a half-way house, Utah type situation, which would leave much of the country unserved. Not unlike the millions of people who can't get broadband in the US, of if they can it is under 1 MB/sec - if you call that broadband. A single national fibre platform allows the costs and benefits to be spread all over the place in a democratic manner, giving each service provider equal access to the customer base to sell their services.

The current upgrades that you are complaining about actually lead the way for FTTH in the future as it puts fibre within a KM of most homes

No it wont because the cabinets are based on 100 year old copper network layout, and will only service urban areas, and are not in the best physical position from which to run fibre to each premises. There is no net benefit in using cabinets as a "starting point" for FTTP from a national interest basis. I'm sure eircom would love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Your location/exchange: Navan (Kilcarn)
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 10MBS
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 1.5 - 3.0
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: No
    Was there any fault found in your line?: No
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: said they would investigate. That was a month ago
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: mid December

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Corach1992

Your location/exchange: Wellingtonbridge
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): ~5.5 Mbps
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): ~0/64 Mbps ,, 337ms is my ping!!
    Was there any fault found in your line?: Yes
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Escalated with Eircom numerous times, eventually told "it's congestion, there is nothing more we can do"
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: Months ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

What's the correlation between these traffic stats at INEX with the congestion we are experiencing? or is there any?

6QbB7.png6QbEA.jpg

What's the correlation between these traffic stats at INEX with the congestion we are experiencing? or is there any?

I don't believe there is any congestion at INEX. INEX seems to install new switches/capacity as/when is required. It is just a "sorting office" for intra-Ireland data packets. The problem is contention between the subscriber and the ISP core, and between the ISP and RoW (rest of world).

INEX keeps data flows that can be processed within Ireland, within Ireland - thus helping reduce the bottleneck between ISPs. A chain is as strong as its weakest link etc... So the issue of super-saturated ISP back haul and ISP core infrastructure still remains in the way. And the issue of accessing sites that are served from outside of Ireland that are not connected to INEX remains too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

I've mentioned this before but don't think anybody noticed. I can get 1.5mbs on a speedtest with poor pings at night time but if I download a well seeded torrent with utorrent with number 80 and encryption enabled etc. then I can get 13mbs.

I think eircom is throttling everybody on NGB for some reason. They don't want to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Larsheen

Your location/exchange:Lucan County Dublin
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):6.9
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s):1-3
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?:3 times
    Was there any fault found in your line?:No
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?:Still being "looked into"
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?:Some months ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

voderphone should have own boxes in the exchange

sky probably just rents eircoms

eircom is not going to give good service if it rents the switches to its competition

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Larsheen

What I have done is report my broadband dropping as a fault and seeing it was not sorted within ten days,I am entitled, according to Eircom's Charter, to a two month line rental rebate.I have made it patently clear to them that there will be no payment for the time that the service has not been provided not indeed will I pay for 1890 calls to Broadband Tech support.They didn't argue this point.I have screen captured all the readings from the speed test and if there is a problem we will go legal.Thanks for organising this information gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

voderphone should have own boxes in the exchange

sky probably just rents eircoms

eircom is not going to give good service if it rents the switches to its competition

Both vodafone and sky have LLU kit, though AFAIK thats the minority of exchanges.

Eircom wholesale rents to Eircom Retail, Voda, Sky, Gaelic, Pure etc etc but its the same net number of subscribers per exchange. Its not a case of piling extra sky users on top of the eircom users, they trade companies but load stays the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

vishal wrote: »
    I've mentioned this before but don't think anybody noticed. I can get 1.5mbs on a speedtest with poor pings at night time but if I download a well seeded torrent with utorrent with number 80 and encryption enabled etc. then I can get 13mbs.

I think eircom is throttling everybody on NGB for some reason. They don't want to talk about it.

If they're throttling on the sly, I'm getting rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭patrickc68

Your location/exchange:roundwood less than 1 kilometer from exchange
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): .500 mb
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): .200 mb
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?:yes,, 4 times ,,blame it on internal wiring in my house the first 3 times
    Was there any fault found in your line?:he siad no fault found ,but siad they changed the cable,made no difference
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?:no help what so ever,,siad eirom supplys up to 8 mb,upto means it can be as low as .0001
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?:service started to degrade after 3 months,since 27 /12/2013 it is very inconsistant,,to a point where it drops completley

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Your location/exchange:2.5km from Dunshaughlin exchange
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):8 mb/s
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): varies between 0.03 mb/s and 2.8mb/s
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?:no
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: I rang eircom broadband support they told me to check for spyware on my computer or to try a different modem.
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?:September

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

Your location/exchange:Tramore Less than 1km from exchange
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):2mbs - 8mbs
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): varies between 0.03 mbs and 2mbs
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?:no (im with Sky but told there is nothing that can be done problem with exchange)
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: I rang SKY broadband alot over the last 6 months finally been told there is nothing they can do and i can leave for a different company if i wish and wouldnt be charged if i was still in contract
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?:June/July

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MikeJK

Your location/exchange: Tuam, Galway
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 13.6 solid
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 1.5-4 generally, occasional bursts to 7.
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: No, although several local engineers have checked the line and one told me that there were 3-4 other similar problems in the area with no line faults and nightly congestion.
    Was there any fault found in your line?: No.
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Yes, after a number of calls with eircom tech support they escalated the problem with their SAC team who have "identified" a problem with the exchange where it has insufficient bandwidth, they have no eta for when this will be rectified.
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: January

Using MTR I can see massive packet loss and significant ping spikes in their network several hops in (*tenge*), apparently it's the bandwith in my local exchange though.

Edit: I just called tech support there and there's a new automated message there which I'm paraphrasing here "Looking at your line there is a problem with broadband in your local area, eircom engineers are working on the problem and will resolve it as quickly as possible, please note that technical support will have no additional information on this".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Eddieken

Your location/exchange: Ratoath
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):10mb/s
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s):0.5-2mb/s
    Was there any fault found in your line?:no, engineer confirmed congestion issue in area
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?:yes, Sky admitted congestion problems with Eircom and advised i could cancel contract or get a discount on the price of contract
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?:September 2013 but had previous issues with eircom in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Your location/exchange: Clonakilty
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):10.4mb/s
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s):0.5-3mb/s
    Was there any fault found in your line?:recent damage to nearby pole repaired.

3297077767.png

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

And has that fixed your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kiec Tigrc

Your location/exchange: Skibbereen, Co. Cork
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 14mb/s (supposed to be 24?)
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 1.5mb/s
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: No.
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Yes, no one contacted me afterwards.
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: Around Late December 2013. Have had issues for 2 months in September-November.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Vishal,
    Line is solid during the day but dips from early evening on. I am less than a km to the exchange.been through this with sky only to leave and have it now happen with eircom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

Your location/exchange: Ashbourne
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 10Mb
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 2.26Mb
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: No
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: October or November

3299615976.png

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Luk2502

Your location/exchange: Kells, Meath
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): between 15-20 depending on the time of day)
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): drastic drop to (currently) 1.75mb
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: No, Technician over phone said everything is fine....
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Yes, they say everything is fine.
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: about 5 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Your location/exchange: Dojnabate , Co.Dublin
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 8-14mb/s ( fluctuates dramatically)
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 3-8 mb/s
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?:Yes. Magnet have been extremely helpful with the situation and I've been contacted and regularly updated by the head of engineering and the head of customer support directly. The issue was coming from an Eircom owned exchange. Magnet advised me as they continued to escalate the issue with Eircom, they advised that there was no ETA for a engineering team to be assigned, due to resource constraints dealing with enabling the E-Fibre in other areas. Donabate has a 40% activation for e-Fibre and Eircom consider the area done.

Magnet were extremely helpful but as I advised I had a contract of service with them, not Eircom and was able to negotiate a new rate. I was originally paying €67 per month for a 24mb ADSL line, and I'm not down to about 35 a month. Still a ripoff for a broken service.

I was conacted last in December where the head of customer services advised me the issue was escalated to Eircom at an extremely high level, who advised that the probable time of resolution was mid-end January. Now in February and still not resolution.

When did the problems with the broadband speed started?:
    Issues started in April of last year. We are now in February with the issue still not resolved. Going on one year.....

This has actually prompted me to hand notice to my landlord and I'm relocating to an area that has UPC enabled. I dealt with them happily for years ina previous residence with bare to zero downtime. But this experience using Eircom infrastructure has been a nightmare.

I was one of Eircoms first internet customers in the late 90's, and after a few years cancelled having to go via a legal process, and swore I'd never deal with them again. Good to see that ten years later **** all has changed with their lazy attitude towards fixing infrastructure.

UPC or Magnets own dedicated infrastructure is the only useful ISP in the country at present...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

Anyone on Vodafone, going to Eircom solved the issue for me.

Your location/exchange: Aclare
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 6 Mbps
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 1.5 Mbps (50% packet loss and pings to Dublin were 500ms+)
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: Yes
    Was there any fault found in your line?: Yes, but fixing the fault did not fix the issue.
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Vodafone blamed Eircom. Moved to Eircom and the problem want away.
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Your location/exchange: Co. Galway (Ballygar)
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 3.0Mbs
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 0.4Mbs
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: No (am with Sky see below)
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Yes after investigations Sky determined it was congestion and nothing could be done. I was with Eircom until mid 2013 when I had the same speed issues in the evenings. They finally admitted it was congestion so I changed to Sky, would prefer to give someone else my custom even if it is the same crap speed.
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: End of 2012 and has gotten progressively worse to this point.

Advertisement