Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS Now - Playstation Streaming Service

Options
  • 07-01-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭

Sony announced PS Now will start in the Summer for the US, no date yet for Europe. On either purchasing a game or paying for a subscription, you can stream and play PS 2 & 3 games straight to your Bravia tv, sont tablet, vita or PS 4. Sounds excellent but will be interested in hearing about sub prices and bandwith requirements.

Not sure how the ds joypad comes into it but journalists are playing last of us, beyond and god of war at that CES event at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

^ is this gaikai?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

jenjenten wrote: »
    ^ is this gaikai?

yes...............

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp, all 380 million dollars of it. Beta is opening this month for the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

268582-newqaqqp.jpg

Maybe premature... but if this really works.. surely it is the end of sony as a console manufacturer?

You would assume the PS4 life cycle will be 5-7 years long. By then, this should be in retail for quite some time and I imagine will have PS4 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

PS4 life cycle will be 7-10 years. The PS3 was 7 years old again the PS4 came along and still has new releases and exclusives coming.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying right now. But if this technology was to work... tweaked and improved. Could one see a PS5?

I will say that the broadband infrastructure still won't be at a sufficient level in 7 years time but you would imagine it will be a lot better in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

In Ireland? It'll probably be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm not saying right now. But if this technology was to work... tweaked and improved. Could one see a PS5?

I will say that the broadband infrastructure still won't be at a sufficient level in 7 years time but you would imagine it will be a lot better in general.

i belive we will see a shorter ps4 lifecycle....i think five years and then the ps5. 16GB RAM and an awesome APU.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Maybe premature... but if this really works.. surely it is the end of sony as a console manufacturer?

You would assume the PS4 life cycle will be 5-7 years long. By then, this should be in retail for quite some time and I imagine will have PS4 games.

I really really dont think so. I will always want a physical box to sit in my room to play games. They tried to go full digital, they tried going with onlive full streaming and it all came around back to a box under your TV or under your Pc.

Maybe someday Sony will have a new console hardware integrated in TV, but its not going to be very soon.

I really really dont think so. I will always want a physical box to sit in my room to play games. They tried to go full digital, they tried going with onlive full streaming and it all came around back to a box under your TV or under your Pc.

Maybe someday Sony will have a new console hardware integrated in TV, but its not going to be very soon.

Surely that's debatable. There are people playing The Last of Us on a Bravia TV as we speak.

I thought previously that this could be the last proper generation of consoles. I feel like this is another step towards that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Surely that's debatable. There are people playing The Last of Us on a Bravia TV as we speak.

I thought previously that this could be the last proper generation of consoles. I feel like this is another step towards that.

I dont really think its the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Sony announced PS Now will start in the Summer for the US, no date yet for Europe. On either purchasing a game or paying for a subscription, you can stream and play PS 2 & 3 games straight to your Bravia tv, sont tablet, vita or PS 4. Sounds excellent but will be interested in hearing about sub prices and bandwith requirements.

Not sure how the ds joypad comes into it but journalists are playing last of us, beyond and god of war at that CES event at the moment.

I can't imagine you would require high download/upload speeds, but most certainly you'd need very low ping/latency. The lower it is, the quicker your on screen action will occur. If its high, then there will certainly be a lot of input lag making games somewhat unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Surely they will have a week free our something like that to test out. How much is an Origin sub at the moment?

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Surely they will have a week free our something like that to test out. How much is an Origin sub at the moment?

Well they are starting to Beta it at the end of the month... I think we'll be waiting a while before we hear anything on price or promotions.

That said I think it's hard to justify a subscription model for this unless it's very cheap.. the equivalent of 2-3 euro a month.

The reason I say this is because a lot of people make a big deal regarding Backwards compatibility etc but I would imagine only a small percentage would actually use that feature.

The idea of going back and renting a game for a week or whatever seems more appealing then having a whole back catalogue of games when you don't really need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I have an Onlive account and I would suspect a similar approach from this. You can rent a game for 1/3/7 Days for reasonable enough prices. Or the subscription gives you access to a rolling library of games (Onlive have 200 you can play for your tenner)

Renting games is actually quite good for games that are 6 hours long it costs only a few Euro to rent it for the weekend and complete it.

If they have the majority of PS2 and PS3 games not just Sony ones it could be worth it.

It won't suit any fast online games but single player games will work well on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This all sounds horrible.
    I have a considerable collection of PS, PS2 and PS3 games, and now they trumpet that we'll be able to play these formats on new Sony hardware via this system?
    Except we'll only rent the time with the games and this games will be from a library of Sony's choosing.
    Sounds like a nightmare to me.
    Outside of whatever Sony decide is worthy, the rest won't be available, never mind that I bought them all already.
    The releases on PSN/PS3 of older games will be a thing of the past as we are told what we will have the opportunity to play.
    Imagine iTunes decided that your past purchases are no longer valid in your new ipod and if you want to listen to your favourite album you'll have to purchase a fixed period licence to do so, that's assuming you are fortunate enough that your preferred taste is matched by the albums on offer. There would be an uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'd probably use this service. Sign up for a month and play a load of PS4 exclusive games I'd not get a see otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a considerable collection of PS, PS2 and PS3 games, and now they trumpet that we'll be able to play these formats on new Sony hardware via this system?
    Except we'll only rent the time with the games and this games will be from a library of Sony's choosing.
    Outside of whatever Sony decide is worthy, the rest won't be available, never mind that I bought them all already.
    The releases on PSN/PS3 of older games will be a thing of the past as we are told what we will have the opportunity to play.
    Imagine iTunes decided that your past purchases are no longer valid in your new ipod and if you want to listen to your favourite album you'll have to purchase a fixed period licence to do so, that's assuming you are fortunate enough that your preferred taste is matched by the albums on offer. There would be an uproar.
    Keep your old games and consoles then. Perfect.

Jesus, it's hard to please people isn't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Having to pay for R&D and access to an expensive server farm and not to mention having to pay each game dev license fees! How dare they!

On a serious note I would pay 50 euro a month if I had access too a ps2 backlog and ps3 backlog and there was no lag / quality issues. Infact I would pay more if the catalogue was extensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not sure if that was intentional or not considering how ludicrous using music as an example is with the multitude of competing and replacement mediums over the years.

• Advertisement

I don't see how this is a bad idea. If people are being given access to a load of games that's a good thing.

The example you have given isn't exactly what is happening to be fair.

If you already have the game on another system then you don't need to worry, that's still there for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't think it'll be a console killer too soon. There's a lot of regions that won't be able to support the networking requirements, yet their business is quite alright selling the consoles themselves.

My one concern around this would be regarding data usage. How much would be required to regularly play games on the service, or have they not released that kind of details yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

aN.Droid wrote: »
    Having to pay for R&D and access to an expensive server farm and not to mention having to pay each game dev license fees! How dare they!

On a serious note I would pay 50 euro a month if I had access too a ps2 backlog and ps3 backlog and there was no lag / quality issues. Infact I would pay more if the catalogue was extensive.

600 euro a year? You could buy a PS2 and 80% of its catalogue for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol.

Surprise surprise. Sony won't mess this up, it's basically going to be netflix for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

268582-newqaqqp.jpg

Streaming PS1,2,3 games might be doable now(they said on atleast a 5mb connection), but the bandwidth for PS4,5 games would be more.. it will all depend on the progress of broadband networks around the world by the time the next PS console releases (or doesnt release)

One things for sure, at some point in the future, booting up any game you want could be as easy as going into netflix and starting up a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

grizzly wrote: »
    I'd probably use this service. Sign up for a month and play a load of PS4 exclusive games I'd not get a see otherwise.

Currently, the only games that will be added are PS3, PS2 and PS1 games - no PS4 titles.

Though, I would like if they included PSP and Vita titles as there are some gems out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Streaming PS1,2,3 games might be doable now(they said on atleast a 5mb connection), but the bandwidth for PS4,5 games would be more.. it will all depend on the progress of broadband networks around the world by the time the next PS console releases (or doesnt release)

One things for sure, at some point in the future, booting up any game you want could be as easy as going into netflix and starting up a movie.

The hard part isn't the bandwidth (there wouldn't be any difference between most PS4 and PS3 games), and after CES where netflix was speaking on steaming 4K which by there system is doable on DSL (~20Mb)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I like the idea of this, hope it works out as well as it can/should.

I'm not bothered about already owning games, sure I bought them to play on the ps2/3 and still can, so Sony are not screwing anyone.

As someone above has said, it sounds like Netflix for games, I just hope it works as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The concept of "Netflix for games" is one that appeals to me massively. I'm not sure I'd fork out €50 a month as above, but if they matched the Netflix price of €7 a month, it'd be a no brainer. I imagine it will be more than this but to be honest, I'm pretty sure, under €20 a month, I'd pay for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Varik wrote: »
    The hard part isn't the bandwidth (there wouldn't be any difference between most PS4 and PS3 games), and after CES where netflix was speaking on steaming 4K which by there system is doable on DSL (~20Mb)

Surely your aware of the troubles some online games have at launch (BF4!)
    Bandwidth needed on sonys side would be massive for the launch of an entire new console in netflix form to replace the PS5. On sonys side, not only in the home. Can you imagine trying to connect to the sony servers to play TLOU 5 on launch night ? :eek:

Besides, sony would have to rely on some other 3rd party device for the "PS5 app" to be streamed through, if they choose not to deliver the PS5 in hardware form themselfs.
    Although, they could very well set up partnerships with abunch of TV manufacturers.

Who knows ?, maybe PS5 will be a steaming service, that can be accessed through the Sony VR mark 2. The sony VR headset being the only hardware (along with the DS5 controll)

Advertisement