Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Le Petit Braquet - RIP

Options
  • 15-12-2013 9:15pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you all the Padraig passed away today. His sister, Brid, as been in touch with me to let me know and ask me to pass this very sad news onto the Boards community.

Padraig was an inspiration to us all in the way he faced his cancer. We obviously were aware that it had become a matter of time, but it is a shock nonetheless. I know some of you have been in communication with Padraig in recent days and he continued his efforts to raise awareness of his cancer and raising funds for cancer charities right up to the end.

I was proud to be there for our Cancer awareness spin at the end of October when I, along with many of you, were able to meet Padraig. I have no doubt we will make this an annual event in memory of Padraig.

Brid has asked me to pass on the family's thanks for the support the Boards community has given him in recent months.

Our deepest condolances go out to Padraig's family.

EDIT - Brid has forwarded the following funeral notice, and indicated all are welcome:
    Ó CONAILL Glenageary, Co Dublin December 15th 2013 (peacefully) at
    home with his family. Pádraig, beloved husband of Belinda, loving
    father of Darragh, Sinéad and Maeve. Very sadly missed by his wife,
    children, parents Jo and Pádraig (Snr), sisters Máire, Áine, Bríd,
    brother Éamonn, extended family, colleagues and many friends. Reposing
    Tuesday the 17th December in Quinn’s of Glasthule from 5pm to 7pm.
    Removal Wednesday to the Divine Word Church , Rathfarnham for 10am
    Mass followed by Cremation in Mount Jerome Crematorium. No Flowers
    please. Donations if desired to Our Ladys Hospice, Blackrock

RIP Padraig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Wow my heart just sank into my stomach reading the title! :( RIP to a great man

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'd been quietly following his posts for quite some time. The man was obviously an incredibly strong person and an amazing human being. I never met him but I'm grateful that he shared so much with the people of boards.ie. He remains an inspiration.

My condolences to his family. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

As with Zyzz.....heart just dropped.
    Only met him once but found him inspirational
    Glad to have been there for the cycle

RiP Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bcmf wrote: »
    As with Zyzz.....heart just dropped.
    Only met him once but found him inspirational
    Glad to have been there for the cycle

RiP Padraig.
    +1 RIP Padraig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

RIP Padraig

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

RIP Padraig, thanks for all your contributions.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was on the the October spin and having gone through something similar with my dad he was an inspiration doing what he did.

A great loss not just to here but in general.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

RIP, very sad indeed. Ive been in awe of how he approached this awful faith. His family should be very proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭red man walking

RIP Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

:(

Came across the various threads and posts relating to Padraig last week and had read up.

R.I.P Padraig. You were inspirational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Was away for the October spin but was hugely impressed by Padraig's efforts to raise money and awareness when he himself, sadly, wasn't going to benefit personally from it. There but for the grace of God go all of us.

RIP Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mp2012

RIP Padraig. Condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

RIP Padraig. A true inspiration, my condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Very sad news. I had the honour of meeting Padraig several times over the last 3 years through Boards and you could only describe him as one of life's true gentlemen.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

RIP LPB...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm so sorry to hear this... Rest in peace, Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

When anyone passes its terribly sad but when someone shows such courage and grace its particularly affecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ratracer

RIP Padraig. Hopefully his very sad story as told on here will endure as an awareness campaign to all. Condolences to his family, may they find strength in each other in this difficult time for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

My condolences to his family. I didn't really know Padraig other than through this community and in a call or two when getting some things from him. His stoicism and inner strength was inspirational and he bore his illness with great character and showed how to deal with the great burden that cancer caused to him. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Jesus, big shock.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

RIP Padraig...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

RIP Padraig

Very humbling to meet you on the Boards Spin. You were a brave man and an inspiration to many.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Oh no. Rest in peace, Padraig.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Went on the cork spin so never met him but it's a shock that he passed away so soon after the spin. My sympathies to his family

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

RIP

Cancer sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:(

No idea what to say. Padraig's dogged insistence on speaking frankly about his situation is an inspiration to me and a constant reminder that there is nothing about your health too minor or too embarrassing to have it looked at. I think that was his intention, and he has certainly reached me, and no doubt countless others.

I can only hope that Padraig's dignity and bravery in the acceptance of his fate serves as source of strength for his family in this most difficult of times.

RIP Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

RIP LPB

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

RIP LPB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Been following Padraig's posts for quite some time.

My heart was in my throat when I saw the thread title. Heartbreaking news.
    What a wonderful, thoughtful, caring, selfless man. I hope his fantastic nature and his determination to help others is some small comfort to his poor family.

He was only posting a number of days ago. Horrendous news.

Rest in peace, Padraig. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

RIP Padraig.

Condolences to your family.

You were an inspiration and hopefully gave some of us the nudge to get those strange lumps and bumps checked out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

RIP Padraig,

Met him the once via the Cycling Adverts section. We chatted in the rain in the car park of Tesco, Ballybrack, about all things and everything. A very decent man who even then shared the story of his original cancer.

A very nice man and, although not unexpected news, I'm nonetheless very sad to hear it

Advertisement