Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new building control regulations 2014

Options
  • 14-12-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

With the new regulations coming in February 2014
    How much of your house do you need to have started to be exempt from them

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just started is enough, on or before March 1st.

...just to add, they are not new building regulations...just new building control regulations. The actual building regulations will stay the same, it's, very basically, the process of demonstrating compliance that will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ShadDixon

Good Question & it seems it's been answered by Docarch.

-ShadDixon

• Registered Users Posts: 40 budgetbuilder

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just started is enough, on or before March 1st.

...just to add, they are not new building regulations...just new building control regulations. The actual building regulations will stay the same, it's, very basically, the process of demonstrating compliance that will change.
    I was told by Wexford building control that as long as my commencment notice is in (and my "contributions" are paid) by the 1st of March and I pour the foundations within the 28 post commencment notice time limit I will be exempt. But I'd double check with your local building control as I suspect this will vary from council to council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

I was told by Wexford building control that as long as my commencment notice is in (and my "contributions" are paid) ...

Wexford offer a payment over a period for contributions - I think year in monthly instalments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

Any body know what will happen as there is no register of contractors and no finalised amendment.

We are due our PP on the 18th of feb,if all goes well, in how short of time can we commence our build. We are applying through Kildare county council.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

cikearney wrote: »
    We are due our PP on the 18th of feb.

Notification of a decision or final decision/grant of permission?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Any body know what will happen as there is no register of contractors and no finalised amendment.

We are due our PP on the 18th of feb,if all goes well, in how short of time can we commence our build. We are applying through Kildare county council.

14 days

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BryanF wrote: »
    14 days

No, you are in under the new control regulations. Due decision on 18th February. 4 weeks from that you will get your final grant and then give 14 days commencement notice for sometime late march, early April.

In Dublin City, they are saying that the 14th February is the final date to lodge a commencement notice in order to get on site under the current control regulations with a start date of 28th February.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Madam41

My planning permission issued mid 2012. Commencement notice served prior to 1st of March 2014.

Do any of the changes to the building regulations(SI 8 of 2014) apply to me?

Do I just proceed with the traditional commencement notice? What about the Certificate of Compliance? if the house isn't finished until later this year, is a"traditional" format of Certificate of Compliance ok or does the new form have to be used?

Can I build by direct labour without needing any confirmations from builder/ tradesmen?

fclauson wrote: »
    Wexford offer a payment over a period for contributions - I think year in monthly instalments

Thanks for that bit of information. I'll speak to them tomorow about it. It would be great to finally get moving on the foundations, if only the weather would cooperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Madam41 wrote: »
    Commencement notice served prior to 1st of March 2014.

Do any of the changes to the building regulations(SI 8 of 2014) apply to me?

Do I just proceed with the traditional commencement notice? What about the Certificate of Compliance? if the house isn't finished until later this year, is a"traditional" format of Certificate of Compliance ok or does the new form have to be used?

Can I build by direct labour without needing any confirmations from builder/ tradesmen?

no
    yes
    yes/no
    yes/no

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Madam41

Thanks very much for your reply 4Sticks.

Presume then I don't need a chartered engineer, which seems to be needed under the new legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

fclauson wrote: »

My mortgage company won't release the stage payments unless proof that the council contributions are paid in full. Payment plan agreed with and signed by the council finance dept was provided to the mortgage company but they rejected it.
    Something for others to bear in mind.

Presume then I don't need a chartered engineer, which seems to be needed under the new legislation.

Ask your lender

kceire wrote: »
    ...they are saying that the 14th February is the final date to lodge a commencement notice in order to get on site under the current control regulations with a start date of 28th February.

I hear (from reliable sources) today, that this may not be the case.

Apparently the DoE are to clarify this matter by the end of this week.

From what I have heard, 'old' commencement notices will be accepted up to and including Feb 28th, as, the S.I. does not come into effect until March 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bartbu

What are the new regulations and what are the consequences of them to self builds? planning decision due tomorrow.. any hope of avoiding them?

ring the Coucnil and ask them what date will be on your 'final grant', and report back.

bartbu wrote: »
    What are the new regulations and what are the consequences of them to self builds? planning decision due tomorrow.. any hope of avoiding them?

What is due tomorrow?
    • Notification of decision to grant
    or
    • Final grant of permission

Self-builder/consumers: A silent majority self-builders account for over 60% of all homes completed in any year. As self-builders now need to employ a contractor as well as additional certifiers under SI9 they have to fork out an extra €23,000 per typical house for the privilege. Almost 13% extra on top of the construction cost. Every farmer who planned to build a house on his/her land for their children will be affected. Will become extinct after March 2014. Self-builders are no question the biggest losers.

source

• Advertisement

bartbu wrote: »
    any hope of avoiding them?

In a word - no . They kick in March 1st and you would need to be realistically ready to start before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭HoofRocks

Wow hold up 23,000!!

If you have your commencement notice in what defines commenced? Would diging out and clearing the site qualify?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

HoofRocks wrote: »
    Wow hold up 23,000!!

If you have your commencement notice in what defines commenced? Would diging out and clearing the site qualify?

if you can get your notice in, send it in.

HoofRocks wrote: »
    Wow hold up 23,000!!

Erect some signs and temp fencing etc place a site hut into position etc as a min.

1001_Site_Safety_Sign_4_23_big.jpg

sydthebeat wrote: »
    if you can get your notice in, send it in.

According to enforcement at the county hall in Wexford, in order for them to consider work to have commenced, you need to have poured the foundations. Don't know if it is different from council to council though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

According to enforcement at the county hall in Wexford, in order for them to consider work to have commenced, you need to have poured the foundations. Don't know if it is different from council to council though.

Who's to say when the foundations were poured it's not like they come out and inspect anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I hear (from reliable sources) today, that this may not be the case.

Apparently the DoE are to clarify this matter by the end of this week.

From what I have heard, 'old' commencement notices will be accepted up to and including Feb 28th, as, the S.I. does not come into effect until March 1st.

any update on this DOCARCH? thanks.

Will.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bryaj

will your certifier not have to record when founds were poured?

Will23 wrote: »
    any update on this DOCARCH? thanks.

Will.

Will,

I clarified this in another thread. All CN's lodged up to and including the 28th February are considered under the current system.

But bear in mind, if you lodge a CN on the 28th and there's something wrong with it, incorrect details, or wrong number etc you will have to rectify it and his push it into march and then you fall into the new regs.

So, if lodging with a tight deadline towards the end of February, make sure to double check it and that everything is correct on it.

Some BCO's will look for works that specifically cannot be done with planning. So if you erect hoarding and consider yourself started, I would class that as not started as all you've done is put up some site hoarding. They will look for ground been broken and clear signs of construction I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

kceire wrote: »
    Some BCO's will look for works that specifically cannot be done with planning. So if you erect hoarding and consider yourself started, I would class that as not started as all you've done is put up some site hoarding. They will look for ground been broken and clear signs of construction I would imagine.

thanks for the response.

in larger projects it would not be unheard of that foundations do not commence within the 14-day commencement window, but that works have commenced per se, i.e. hoarding is erecting (could be extensive), site huts are moved in, construction commences on the site compound and detailed programme review and planning is taking place. in this scenario most architect's would call this works having commenced. In fact the general approach is that this does not commence before the commencement period is activated.

the fact that this is being \interpreted' by some BCO's is the worry, surely a standardised approach, irrespective of project size, is what we should be expecting of our local authorities.

will the differing approaches, a la FSC's and DAC's up and down the country, still be commonplace?

Will.

Advertisement