Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards A/R Xmas Beers Saturday 7th December 8pm Palace Bar(optional pub crawl)

Options
  • 13-11-2013 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭

Which venue?

I am including the yelp.ie page for each of the bars in question, so you can read some reviews.
    I think they are all fine pubs. Just bear in mind that Against the grain is all craft beers as I think is JW sweetmans? The others have a mixture of both craft and commercial beers except Mcgrattans which stocks no craft beers.....

Anyway get voting. I'll make the vote Multiple choice so you can pick a few different venues if you like.

Against the Grain

McGrattans

The Long Hall

Palace Bar (Fleet St, not Camden St!!)

Mulligans

JW Sweetman (formerly Messrs maguire)

Voting closes in 1 week!!

Venue for the A/R beers on 7th December 36 votes

Against the Grain
    0%
    McGrattans
    13%
    tHE vAGGABONDecolidrquirkyHelenAnneblockic 5 votes
    The Long Hall
    11%
    CleanmanRedRunnerOsosloAuldManKing 4 votes
    The Palace Bar
    16%
    drquirkyPacing MuleMurph_Dgerard_65AuldManKingmorceli 6 votes
    Mulligans
    33%
    menoscemodrquirkyThePiedPiperPacing Muletheboyblunderpconn062MarthastewCleanmanKielyUnusualblockicRedRunnerTRR 12 votes
    JW Sweetman
    25%
    drquirkyPacing Mulepconn062MarthastewCleanmanRedRunnerMurph_DTRRAuldManKing 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Mulligans
    I associate McGrattans with the marathon so gonna leave that one off.

Like the look of the Palace bar and the craft choice in Against the Grain so went either of those two. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

JW Sweetman
    blockic wrote: »

Like the look of the Palace bar and the craft choice in Against the Grain so went either of those two. :cool:

Don't forget you have to apply for a Dublin visa! We need to closely monitor the numbers of langers on the streets of our fair city ;)

Mulligans
    TRR wrote: »
    Don't forget you have to apply for a Dublin visa! We need to closely monitor the numbers of langers on the streets of our fair city ;)

I'll have the cork passport in tow! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

JW Sweetman
    blockic wrote: »

If you have 1 in both, that'll be your lot for the night...........

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

JW Sweetman
    I don't really mind where we go.....all are in walking/stumbling distance from me. Training is going really well although I've not got into the craft beers yet. Been doing a bit of running too:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

JW Sweetman
    Not going to vote cause I don't know any of these places. Don't mind where we go, happy to follow the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mulligans
    pconn062 wrote: »
    Not going to vote cause I don't know any of these places. Don't mind where we go, happy to follow the crowd.

Ah come on, we need someone to break the tie. Click each of the venues for a little review and pick accordingly...

JW Sweetman
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Ah come on, we need someone to break the tie. Click each of the venues for a little review and pick accordingly...

Yes boss. I like old fashioned pubs so went with the Palace Bar and Mulligans.

Mulligans
    Yes boss. I like old fashioned pubs so went with the Palace Bar and Mulligans.

Fecking Culchies :D

JW Sweetman
    Fecking Culchies :D

I demand at least one aul boy sitting in the corner with a pipe!

• Advertisement

Mulligans

You'd love the Palace so, plenty of aul lads downstairs sipping on whisky.
    About 10 years ago I was there till late and we had a nice old style lock in (not sure they'd get away with that anymore :rolleyes:). Great boozer, been in the same family hands for the last 100+ years ( I think it was featured in a recent docu/film about traditional Irish pubs).

Edit: That's it at 41 seconds!!

Mulligans
    ( I think it was featured in a recent docu/film about traditional Irish pubs).

Edit: That's it at 41 seconds!!

Haha! :D

"Name, Address and Creamary Number before you even get a drink!"

Classic!

Mulligans
    Wow, Messrs maguire is not proving too popular!!
    I also see a distinct lack of people who want to go to a 'craft beer only' pub :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Wow, Messrs maguire is not proving too popular!!
    I also see a distinct lack of people who want to go to a 'craft beer only' pub :pac:

Are you trying to influence the outcome? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

JW Sweetman
    Why don;t we just crash the Sportsworld X-Mas party, get trashed, wreck the place and tell everyone that we are from the "Knockloyn Joggers Athletic Club"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

JW Sweetman

Digger has promised to bring his pipe;)

Cue barrage of pipe inuendo jokes:rolleyes:

Mulligans
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Are you trying to influence the outcome? ;)

No I am totally impartial ;)
    I'd actually prefer a craft beer place myself but the 'people' have the right to decide.

drquirky wrote: »
    Why don;t we just crash the Sportsworld X-Mas party, get trashed, wreck the place and tell everyone that we are from the "Knockloyn Joggers Athletic Club"

You'd need to have wet grass on your feet to appear authentic ;)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Digger has promised to bring his pipe;)

Cue barrage of pipe inuendo jokes:rolleyes:

My pipe innuendo? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

drquirky wrote: »

you can't mention 'athletics', they'd get all confused :rolleyes: :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Mulligans
    The only thing that's confusing me is why we're not starting in the afternoon just after the jingle bells race? Anyone else up for that?

JW Sweetman
    The only thing that's confusing me is why we're not starting in the afternoon just after the jingle bells race? Anyone else up for that?

I was just thinking that, we're going to be in Dublin anyway so I'm definitely in. Bit of lunch and a few pints, be grand!

Mulligans

We could deffo go to Ryans after the race...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Mulligans
    Nice one.. I think there's more of a chance of me just hanging round for a couple of afternoon pints, rather than the whole day and night.. see how it goes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bit of lunch

Eating is cheating for god sake:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Mulligans

I think the drinks after the race were assumed. Of course you have to have a bite to eat and a few pre-drinks in the afternoon. Then we can start drinking drinking at 8 o'clock in the Palace, or wherever the voting public chooses.

JW Sweetman
    tang1 wrote: »
    Eating is cheating for god sake:P:P:P

Believe me, it's prettier than the alternative! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Oh i know, i was at a GS do years ago had drank my body weight in red wine. Went to toilet and done the gentlemanly thing and got sick in the toilet not urinal. Now red wine puke looks a bit like blood if you dont look to close, one of my mates went to toilet not to long after me and had a fit(not drink related) in same toilet i got sick.

Next man to go to toilet was a high ranking investigator in the guards, seen my pal & puke, place was shut down quicker than a whoors knickers. The same man was loooking for promotion big time. Sirens, blue lights everywhere. He came out and said " Unknown is after gettin stabbed in the toilet" . He wasn't best impressed when i told him it was my red wine puke:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

have a prior engagement in the evening but can throw the head in for an afternoon pint, certainly.

• Advertisement

Mulligans
    This has lost momentum, have we peaked too early??

Advertisement