Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining 48 (Is it good value for money)

Options
  • 25-07-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone here joined 48?
    I myself am on prepay and would roughly spend €30 a month on credit...
    I saw this deal (The Don) which offers all calls, all texts to any network and 5gb Internet too! Getting this for paying €20 a month membership...
    http://www.48months.ie/deal

I would appreciated some feedback if any of are with them..
    What's the coverage like , membership , and is the deal good value?

Cheers...
    Ronan..

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm on the guido plan and apart from the retarded name it's great. They use the o2 network so coverage is great and you can see the value for money in the plans yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I'm with 48 six weeks now on the Don and I'm really impressed. Haven't dropped a call at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

jarvis wrote: »
    I'm with 48 six weeks now on the Don and I'm really impressed. Haven't dropped a call at all.

Do you get free calls to any network? Just looking at the ad, the free calls box doesn't have a check in it like the rest :confused:

Do you get free calls to any network? Just looking at the ad, the free calls box doesn't have a check in it like the rest :confused:

Yeah. All mobile networks is supposedly unlimited but fair usage is 3000 minutes. Only 60 minutes to land lines but surprisingly that did me.
    Also to note, you can't ring 0818, 1850, freefone etc.

jarvis wrote: »
    Yeah. All mobile networks is supposedly unlimited but fair usage is 3000 minutes. Only 60 minutes to land lines but surprisingly that did me.
    Also to note, you can't ring 0818, 1850, freefone etc.

3k minutes should be enough! You can't dial them at all?

• Advertisement

3k minutes should be enough! You can't dial them at all?

Just checked ther and I got through to 1901 eircom Freefone line. Don't know if it came from my credit or from bundled landline minutes or was free.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I'm with the €20 plan and it is fantastic.

There are a few gotchas, which I don't mind, but you should keep them in mind.

- You only get 60 minutes to landlines, want more and you have to buy it as an add-on package.

- The €20 goes towards the plan cost, it isn't credit. So if you want to make calls or texts that aren't included in the free amount, you have to add extra credit. Examples are:

MMS (picture messages), International calls, international texts, 1850, 1890, etc. numbers

Also the cost of these types of calls/texts tend to be the most expensive of any network.

- They don't have international data roaming at all (not necessarily a bad thing!)

- Your call will automatically be cut off after 60 minutes, you can always call back, not really a problem, but you might be surprised the first time it happens.

Having said all that, I think it is an incredible deal. Reception is rock solid on o2, far better then the awful 3 network I previously had and it is so liberating not having to worry about how long you are spending on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

bk wrote: »
    Yes, I'm with the €20 plan and it is fantastic.

There are a few gotchas, which I don't mind, but you should keep them in mind.

- You only get 60 minutes to landlines, want more and you have to buy it as an add-on package.

- The €20 goes towards the plan cost, it isn't credit. So if you want to make calls or texts that aren't included in the free amount, you have to add extra credit. Examples are:

MMS (picture messages), International calls, international texts, 1850, 1890, etc. numbers

Also the cost of these types of calls/texts tend to be the most expensive of any network.

- They don't have international data roaming at all (not necessarily a bad thing!)

- Your call will automatically be cut off after 60 minutes, you can always call back, not really a problem, but you might be surprised the first time it happens.

Having said all that, I think it is an incredible deal. Reception is rock solid on o2, far better then the awful 3 network I previously had and it is so liberating not having to worry about how long you are spending on the phone.

Sounds a lot cheaper than other sim only bill pay type options , but for 48 you top every month? As in its not a direct debt style?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Sounds a lot cheaper than other sim only bill pay type options , but for 48 you top every month? As in its not a direct debt style?

I think you can set up as a recurring charge on your credit card.

I think you can set up as a recurring charge on your credit card.

Is it not possible to purchase call credit in the shop?

• Advertisement

Is it not possible to purchase call credit in the shop?

You can buy credit in their website. I haven't seen any where that sells it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

You can buy credit in their website. I haven't seen any where that sells it yet.

You can buy it at any payzone agent.

Is it possible to register your card details and top up by text/phone like o2 allow?

Is it possible to register your card details and top up by text/phone like o2 allow?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

what are the internet speeds like? and how much data is included

what are the internet speeds like? and how much data is included

It's just okay. About 1.5 down. It's grand for browsing and even YouTube but not sure how it'd be for live streaming.
    The limit is 5gb on the Don

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Seriously considering giving 48 a shot. Just two quick questions:

1. I know for your membership you buy a package, so anything out that is extra. If I wanted to send an international text, it just wouldn't send then unless I had the add on or will an additional charge be debited from my account?

2. What's the mobile internet like with regards to apps like Whatsapp and Viber?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Seriously considering giving 48 a shot. Just two quick questions:

1. I know for your membership you buy a package, so anything out that is extra. If I wanted to send an international text, it just wouldn't send then unless I had the add on or will an additional charge be debited from my account?

2. What's the mobile internet like with regards to apps like Whatsapp and Viber?

Thanks!

1. It won't send unless you have the additional cash in your account to cover it. So say you top up by €11 and buy the €10 plan. The cost of the international text would be taken out of the remaining €1.

2. Perfect. No issues at all and I use them both regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

i,m on the vodfone network so would i be able to keep my number if i changed and would the 48 sim work in my phone or would i have to buy a new phone from 48?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

i,m on the vodfone network so would i be able to keep my number if i changed and would the 48 sim work in my phone or would i have to buy a new phone from 48?

As long as phone is unlocked, you can port the number over.

I don't think 48 sell phones...

• Advertisement

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    As long as phone is unlocked, you can port the number over.

I don't think 48 sell phones...
    cheers for that, just ordered my sim from them so see how it goes, seems a great deal for my 20euro per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

Hi there,

My son wants to join 48- he has an unlocked phone and the sim, but eants my credit card details to register?

My question is: if he can top up at pay zones (which I want him too), does he need to register credit card details at all to get going on the network? Basically, I don't want to link my details to his 48 account at all and am ordering is there anyway around it?

Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

miss_daisy wrote: »
    Hi there,

My son wants to join 48- he has an unlocked phone and the sim, but eants my credit card details to register?

My question is: if he can top up at pay zones (which I want him too), does he need to register credit card details at all to get going on the network? Basically, I don't want to link my details to his 48 account at all and am ordering is there anyway around it?

Thanks in advance...

Your young fella does not need to register a card to get going. Once he get's the SIM he activates it online and his account becomes active. To top up he can either use a card (not what you want) or go out and pay for credit via a shop.

So basically, no card details required.

From their website:
    "Don't have a credit or debit card? You can also buy Top-up from all the usual outlets and vending machines nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

Mezcita wrote: »
    Your young fella does not need to register a card to get going. Once he get's the SIM he activates it online and his account becomes active. To top up he can either use a card (not what you want) or go out and pay for credit via a shop.

So basically, no card details required.

From their website:
    "Don't have a credit or debit card? You can also buy Top-up from all the usual outlets and vending machines nationwide.

That's brilliant- thanks for that. All I needed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I'm on the €10 deal, and I can't fault them. The add-ons are decent too, 1GB of data for €3 should you need it.

Well i switched over and have been very happy so far with the service and the value for money, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

I just got the new iPhone on 3 but I'm thinking of switching over cause the €10 deal with internet looks like it would do me. i just have 2 questions...

1. Is the internet coverage good compared to 3? I was on 48 before i got a smartphone and the network used to crash every now and again and loads of people always complained to them about it. I'm just thinking cause they're a small network company the coverage might not be as good as 3

2. I got insurance for my phone when i got it and i think the insurance is associated with 3 in some way. If i switch over, will i still have my insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Undeadfred wrote: »
    I just got the new iPhone on 3 but I'm thinking of switching over cause the €10 deal with internet looks like it would do me. i just have 2 questions...

1. Is the internet coverage good compared to 3? I was on 48 before i got a smartphone and the network used to crash every now and again and loads of people always complained to them about it. I'm just thinking cause they're a small network company the coverage might not be as good as 3

2. I got insurance for my phone when i got it and i think the insurance is associated with 3 in some way. If i switch over, will i still have my insurance?

1. 48 use O2's network, so coverage is as good as O2.

2. If you bought the iPhone with 3, that means it's locked to 3 network. In order to be able to use the phone on the 48 network you will have to go somewhere to unlock the phone. And I daresay if you do that, then the 3 warranty will void.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

if you do that, then the 3 warranty will void.

The warranty would be with Apple not three I'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Bump!

Just a quick question. If I want to switch my number over. How long does it take to happen? Don't want to be left without a working sim for a few days

Advertisement