Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helix [SyFy - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Let's go completely nuts today, and add some information about the show.
    SYFY REUNITES WITH RONALD D. MOORE GREENLIGHTS NEW SCRIPTED SERIES “HELIX” FROM SONY PICTURES TELEVISION FOR 2013

MOORE AND LYNDA OBST SERVE AS EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS

NEW YORK – March 7, 2013 – Syfy is giving a 13-episode greenlight to Helix (working title), its newest original scripted series for 2013, it was announced today by Mark Stern, President of Original Content, Syfy and Co-Head Original Content, Universal Cable Productions. Helix is Executive Produced by Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica), Lynda Obst (Sleepless in Seattle, Contact), Steven Maeda (Lost, CSI: Miami, The X-Files) and Cameron Porsandeh, who wrote the pilot, will serve as Co-Executive Producer. The series will be produced by Sony Pictures Television.

Helix is an intense thriller about a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control who travel to a high-tech research facility in the Arctic to investigate a possible disease outbreak, only to find themselves pulled into a terrifying life-and-death struggle that holds the key to mankind’s salvation or total annihilation.

“With its well-drawn characters, taut drama, and incredible production team, we couldn’t be more excited to see this intense thrill-ride of a series come to life,” said Mark Stern

Helix is expected to begin production early in 2013 to debut later this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Looks interesting, and with that production team it'll definitely be worth a watch.

Sounds a lot like his The Thing prequel, assuming there were some ideas he liked in his draft that he decided to develop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It does have a strong vibe of X-Files and The Thing coming off it; the latter is only inevitable I guess, monsters and paranoia in the Arctic is only ever going to invite comparisons with John Carpenter's classic. The premise still seems a little thin for a 13 episode show, could do with a bit more detail.
    Still, looks promising and dark, horror-tinged Sci-Fi is rare enough these days so will keep an ear to ground about this one. That said; "we're not just breaking international laws, we're screwing with the laws of nature". :rolleyes: I guess I better not hold out hope for decent dialogue, or that they might avoid the 'science is amoral and invariably runs amok' clichés...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's an extended trailer out, giving a little more backstory to events; dialogue still comes across as very schlocky but still fairly intrigued by it all:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so it's kind of like The Andromeda Strain mixed in with The X-Files "Ice" episode

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Interesting article on this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Good to see Billy Campbell back on tv again, likeable actor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

anyone check out the two part opener?

• Advertisement

It's no BSG, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not sure there is enough story to fill 10 episodes (in Antarctica anyway), but we'll see.

Mr E wrote: »
    It's no BSG, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not sure there is enough story to fill 10 episodes (in Antarctica anyway), but we'll see.

I believe each episode in the season of 13 will cover a 24 hour period, so hopefully that'll keep the stakes and tension high throughout.

It was a decent enough pilot & second episode anyway, and while the pacing wobbled there was enough tension and atmosphere to keep me watching. It also passed the 'ick' test, which is important if your story is based around a horrible disease. Going by the promotions it looks like they won't spare any blushes so that'll help sell the threat if nothing else.

That said, the dialogue was very perfunctory, full of the kind of exposition you'd expect early in a show's lifespan, and the less said about the needless relationship complications, the better; a really lazy and tired way to create conflict. It might also help if the actors had any chemistry together, but they flatline. Some of the other characters need work too - the company director being the most egregious example; I guess to hook the viewer they've gone for the most overly villainous portrayal, so I hope over the coming episodes the lines are blurred a little.

Pretty enjoyable opening two episodes. If it does keep with the 24 hour period per episode then it could fill out the entire season. This kind of show would suit a style similar to American Horror Story, with each season being different to the previous.

Episode 3 is out and was superb! Much better than the first two. I'm well and truly behind this show now.

Excellent third episode. Really reminiscent of 28 Weeks Later, especially the outbreak scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Wtf is with the ridiculously incongruous Title card music ?

Wtf is with the ridiculously incongruous Title card music ?

juxtaposition of horror with whimsy; the playing of 'do you know the way to san jose' throughout the first episode was for the same effect. It can highlight the macabre nature of horror if its set to the tune of something inappropriate...

pixelburp wrote: »
    juxtaposition of horror with whimsy; the playing of 'do you know the way to san jose' throughout the first episode was for the same effect. It can highlight the macabre nature of horror if its set to the tune of something inappropriate...

I get that and I'm all for its use in that scene you mentioned and tv shows in general so long as it is not overused, but as title card music ???

• Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The bad reviews have swayed me off this, but I'm tempted now that the third one seems to have gotten good reviews.

Might give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Basq wrote: »
    The bad reviews have swayed me off this, but I'm tempted now that the third review seems to have gotten good reviews.

Might give it a shot.

It's worth watching imo, better than a lot of crap on TV now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

saw the third....interesting choice of cast....but billy campbell is terrible....it relies alot on enviromental sounds to add dread, but fails imo. it alsorelies on choppy editng and out of sequence edit to add dread and horror, again fail.

these tropes imo are poorly executed and gimicks imo.....not sold on this show at all. that theme music is the most WRONG thing on tv for many years!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

So I'm the only one who loves the music? It's been stuck in my head all weekend.

And I'm not sure why, but I have a feeling they're going to do something more with it, like it has some kind of hidden meaning.

I get that and I'm all for its use in that scene you mentioned and tv shows in general so long as it is not overused, but as title card music ???
    stevenmu wrote: »
    So I'm the only one who loves the music? It's been stuck in my head all weekend.

And I'm not sure why, but I have a feeling they're going to do something more with it, like it has some kind of hidden meaning.

No, I kinda liked it myself; it really jarred, in a good way, after that creepy and mysterious first scene - it was quite unsettling.

Glad to hear the third episode improves on things, I think I'll hold off on indulging 'til the it airs though. It's easy to be overly harsh on the first clutch of episodes in any series, and while the first two episodes have their problems, I saw enough good points to think the show could develop in a positive direction - in any case, very few shows ever manage to knock it out of the park on the first attempt.

Overall I quite like the show but I came across this review of episodes 1 & 2 that picked up on a lot more plot holes then I had initially.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/helix/28833/helix-episodes-1-2-review-pilot-vector

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Mr E wrote: »
    Episode 3 is out and was superb! Much better than the first two. I'm well and truly behind this show now.

Yeah i liked it, enough to keep you going, but i didnt realise the third one was out as its scheduled for the 17th http://epguides.com/helix/

Without going off topic i did see it in various places, but thought it was fake? which RSS site is a good one that's proven, as i use showrss at the moment

Overall I quite like the show but I came across this review of episodes 1 & 2 that picked up on a lot more plot holes then I had initially.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/helix/28833/helix-episodes-1-2-review-pilot-vector

I wouldn't class half of those points as plot holes, most of that 'review' reads like ridiculous internet pedantry - oh noes, their electric-prods are 2 foot long for polar bears, when evvveryone knows their reach is 5-foot. LOL! :rolleyes:

The main problems with this show are character-based, not the irrelevant minutiae around its setting. The Idiot Ball gets handed around just a bit too much, and the awful writing of the main female characters are the most offensive things here - not the presence of wind turbines. Dropping the love triangle would be a good start... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Coconut Joe

A great companion show for Spoils of Babylon, makes both funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I did like the start where they admitted the base was out of their jurisdiction. Its been bugging me when American shows have government agenies flaunt procedures and jurisdiction. I wad soon disappointed when they stopped this. Taking off protective gear and choices endangering everyone.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wouldn't class half of those points as plot holes, most of that 'review' reads like ridiculous internet pedantry - oh noes, their electric-prods are 2 foot long for polar bears, when evvveryone knows their reach is 5-foot. LOL! :rolleyes:

The main problems with this show are character-based, not the irrelevant minutiae around its setting. The Idiot Ball gets handed around just a bit too much, and the awful writing of the main female characters are the most offensive things here - not the presence of wind turbines. Dropping the love triangle would be a good start... :)

I agree the cattle prod and wind turbine thing don't bother me at all but he is spot on about the issue of there being a research base with 10(?) basement levels in the Arctic which even at its thickest isn't more then 12-15 feet thick. Thats a pretty big logic fail unless as the reviewer said it is giant sub(or an even more out there theory, a disguised Alien ship), why not just set it in the Antarctic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

brian_t wrote: »
    Helix starts on Channel 5 next Monday 20th January @ 10.00pm

Kinda thought SyFy UK would pick it up

Advertisement