Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching TV bracket to 50mm plasterboard

Options
  • 05-12-2012 1:50pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads
    Have the 12mm plasterboard backed with 38mm insulation, whats the best way to attach a tv bracket for a 40" tv to that?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Is this an internal or external wall?

I'd be nervous of hanging this on an internal wall

If an external wall, get down to your nearest DIY shop and buy yourself some 120mm bolts and a good masonry drill bit...

It isnt worth risking your expensive investment falling off the wall..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

homer911 wrote: »
    Is this an internal or external wall?

I'd be nervous of hanging this on an internal wall

If an external wall, get down to your nearest DIY shop and buy yourself some 120mm bolts and a good masonry drill bit...

It isnt worth risking your expensive investment falling off the wall..

External wall. Blocks outside :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

yop wrote: »
    External wall. Blocks outside :)

100-120mm frame fixers or else some 100mm self drive concrete screws an an 8mm SDS drill bit.:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

paddy147 wrote: »
    100-120mm frame fixers or else some 100mm self drive concrete screws an an 8mm SDS drill bit.:)

Cud do the trick. Keep me busy for a while during this budget speech!

yop wrote: »
    Cud do the trick. Keep me busy for a while during this budget speech!

Yep,0.18% property tax for allmost all of us here.:mad:

Id love to slap the smirk off Howlins face right now.:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Yep,0.18% property tax for allmost all of us here.:mad:

Id love to slap the smirk off Howlins face right now.:mad::mad::mad:

I'm on the higher rate the fker!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you are a bit handy at the DIY you could do what I did and cut away the plasterboard 1 1/2" bigger than the tv all-round and recess it in fixing it straight to the block wall you would then have to plasterboard the sides,top and bottom or you could do it with a wooden trim it's a bit more work but looks good in the end, you should also be able to get your cables down between the blobs and bring them out at ground level :D

20121205_181036.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

jas fergal your lucky with 2 tvs in your room:D

fergal.b wrote: »
    If you are a bit handy at the DIY you could do what I did and cut away the plasterboard 1 1/2" bigger than the tv all-round and recess it in fixing it straight to the block wall you would then have to plasterboard the sides,top and bottom or you could do it with a wooden trim it's a bit more work but looks good in the end, you should also be able to get your cables down between the blobs and bring them out at ground level :D

20121205_181036.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

20121205_181036.jpg

There's a tv that's not going to last too long

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Lasted over 4 years so far thats a Dimplex plasma bellow not an open fire.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Plus one for the conrete screw. Best invention ever.

Fergal... I love your boats, but not what you did with the telly, although it does look like you did a nice job.

20121205_181036.jpg

The OP has 50mm insulated slab on the block wall,,cutting it out to make a recessed area for a TV just creates one big cold spot on the wall.;)

Not a good idea at all.

My chimney is on an internal wall and in quite a small room, the heat of the 50" is good enough that I never have to turn on the radiator if fact I can't even close the door in the room or I'll melt :D:D it works for me but I know where you guys are coming from :)
    Another option might be chemical fasteners, these would also help with the 50mm of bolt that has very little support from the plasterboard by spreading out the load a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

My chimney is on an internal wall and in quite a small room, the heat of the 50" is good enough that I never have to turn on the radiator if fact I can't even close the door in the room or I'll melt :D:D it works for me but I know where you guys are coming from :)
    Another option might be chemical fasteners, these would also help with the 50mm of bolt that has very little support from the plasterboard by spreading out the load a bit.

I have 100mm boards and I used the screws another guys said above. Just put a good few in and it will be grand to support the tv.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

20121205_181036.jpg

That looks terrible, TBH. Cut a big hole in your wall to hang a TV? A bracket would actually have worked (and looked) better IMO + easier access to the cables. What if you want to change TV? And if you're going to bother to try and recess it, at least make it flush. Plus you can see the edges of the plasterboard - too big a gap. Should put a bit of trim around it to make the edges look tidier. There shouldn't be more than a 1mm gap between the plastebopard + TV so it looks snug, but you have a couple of cm.

Just my opinion... looks a mess...

The TV is on a bracket that I can move in and out and tilt so no problem getting at the cables, a 1mm gap would not allow for the ventilation that the TV needs and the resin I recessed it was to allow the projector screen to come down over it. Fair play to you if you can see the edge of the plaster board as I put angle bead all around the cutout.

Just my opinion, I love the way it looks and with the surround sound on the way it sounds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

That looks terrible, TBH. Cut a big hole in your wall to hang a TV? A bracket would actually have worked (and looked) better IMO + easier access to the cables. What if you want to change TV? And if you're going to bother to try and recess it, at least make it flush. Plus you can see the edges of the plasterboard - too big a gap. Should put a bit of trim around it to make the edges look tidier. There shouldn't be more than a 1mm gap between the plastebopard + TV so it looks snug, but you have a couple of cm.

Just my opinion... looks a mess...

I think it looks rather sexy. It blends with the electric fire below.

Just my opinion, lads.

How about now :D I had to tell the kids that Santa can now travel down HDMI cables so it's ok to block up the chimney;)

20121210_091029.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

How about now :D I had to tell the kids that Santa can now travel down HDMI cables so it's ok to block up the chimney;)

20121210_091029.jpg
    Dude make sure you put some sort of shelf between fire and bottom of tv , it needs something to deflect heat from fire away from underneath of tv . Just put ours in and installer says he always advises people to put in something (for gas or solid fuel fire) as any heat will eventually buggar up the tv . We have a 4" deep one in and it looks pretty snazzy :-)

• Advertisement

I don't use the heated panels on the fire it's just for effect, you get warm just looking at it :D or if I want to cool down.

20121210_103308.jpg

TV over fireplace
    classy

would those santa socks not be in danger of catching fire on that electric fire????

would those santa socks not be in danger of catching fire on that electric fire????

That made me LOL :D

As far as I know, its against fire and building regulations to have a skirting board under a fire (danger and possible source of ignition/fire.

You should idealy take out the wooden skirting and install a granite or marble plinth instead

Just read that its an electric fire for show only and no heat from it.

Sorry for asking this...but whats the point of it then,if you dont get any heat from it??

Sorry for asking this...but whats the point of it then,if you dont get any heat from it??

I suppose he has it just for show, it does look really nice and has just gave me an idea for my room.

Central heating etc.. could heat up the room otherwise.

There are ceramic tiles each side of the fire that radiate heat if you want it. The fire is a repetitive sound and image and you can pick from a selection of others like the fish tank, waves crashing on the beach,river running and so on.

There are ceramic tiles each side of the fire that radiate heat if you want it. The fire is a repetitive sound and image and you can pick from a selection of others like the fish tank, waves crashing on the beach,river running and so on.

Ah right,so you can have the heated panels on or off...what ever floats your boat (excuse the pun).;):D

Fair play to you so......does look nice.:)

• Advertisement

The fire is a repetitive sound and image and you can pick from a selection of others like the fish tank, waves crashing on the beach,river running and so on.

The same things a TV could also do? :confused:

Advertisement