Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed checks in temp speed limit area (Sarsfield rndbout)

Options
  • 03-10-2012 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭

Not sure how many of ye noticed but I see there is a speed check van (Safety cameras:rolleyes:) parked in the middle of the construction vehicles around the Sarsfield roundabout for the past 2 days.

The temporary speed limit is 60kmph. I reckon I was caught, doing about 68kmph.
    I'm trying to be optimistic here but do standard rules apply in relation to temporary speed limits and speed checks?
    I'm annoyed with myself really but if they are the rules fair enough. I'm just wondering what is other people's experience with temporary speed restrictions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Is it enforcable? According to this map on the Garda website, the N25 (N40 as it is now) is not to be covered by these vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

Oh no. I would have been caught there too. Yes, temporary speed limits have to be abided by legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Just to clarify, the van is facing west so if you are coming from the Bishopstown roundabout (or joining from Wilton) heading towards the Kinsale rd. flyover you could be nabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I saw that too - real fish in a barrel situation. very few cars pay attention to the limit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Saw it on the roads forum yesterday and forgot to post here, passed the van yesterday and was ready for them. Sorry for not sharing!

Link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055853085&page=44

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

opti76 wrote: »
    Well the N25 hasnt exisited for a while now, i have had this discussion on the thread following the roadworks project and to sum it up we came up with this.

1. The county/city managers would of had to apply to the NRA to change the speed limit for road works on this route. They probably did apply.

2. They would of applied to change the limit on the N25 . This is no longer the N25 its the N40?

3. Yes its a technicality , but as we all know lawyers and judges seem to leave people off on such things.

Reasearch would have to be done to see if a new order was applied for when it changes to N40

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I passed there yesterday at around 4:00pm and saw the flashing sign about speed check 60kph, but didn't see any van or cameras, just some workers cars parked further up under bridge next to CBP.

I may have been slightly over 60 ;) in the left lane, but with people storming past me on the right. That area would be a gold mine if they are there all the time.

I passed there yesterday at around 4:00pm and saw the flashing sign about speed check 60kph, but didn't see any van or cameras, just some workers cars parked further up under bridge next to CBP.

I may have been slightly over 60 ;) in the left lane, but with people storming past me on the right. That area would be a gold mine if they are there all the time.

well there is a van there today and it was there yesterday too. I passed it this evening at 19:30 and it was still there. I'd say they are making a nice few quid on it...but hey, safety cameras are where accidents happened...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Lads, have a bit of cop-on. This isn't about making money, it's about your safety and the safety of the workers on a construction site. The traffic management at the site is based on the assumption that traffic is travelling at 60kph or less.

At least you have your steel box with airbags, crumple zones and all that. On the other hand, some poor schmuck who's just doing his job isn't going to get much protection from a hi-vis vest and a hard hat when you plough into him at 100kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nah it's a revenue generating exercise alright. The van is on the lanes heading away from the Sarsfield Road roundabout where cars are obviously accelerating and speeding up as they head away from the main construction area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Pretty sure I got caught on this today at 7pm (when all the workers had gone home for the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

Yea, I am sure i was caught this evening at about 7.15pm. Fxcking shower of bollocks if there every were. Hope de Fxck they cut their allowances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Nah it's a revenue generating exercise alright. The van is on the lanes heading away from the Sarsfield Road roundabout where cars are obviously accelerating and speeding up as they head away from the main construction area.
    I wasn't stating an opinion. The purpose of the speed traps at this site is to slow people down and create a safer environment for motorists and workers.

I suggest actually obeying the speed limit. You can't be fined if you're not speeding.
    Pretty sure I got caught on this today at 7pm (when all the workers had gone home for the day).
    The works are carried out at all hours of the day. Literally. Just because you didn't see someone there doesn't mean that they weren't there. For example, from one of the recent updates:
    Night-time working, including duct installation, surfacing works, relocation of traffic lanes etc. will be a feature of the Scheme for a number of weeks from next Monday, 17th September 2012.
    In view of the scale of the upcoming works, motorists are again asked to observe the temporary speed limits in place throughout the works area and to pay particular attention to road signage advising of any changes in the road layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

rcdk1 wrote: »
    I wasn't stating an opinion. The purpose of the speed traps at this site is to slow people down and create a safer environment for motorists and workers.

"Shooting fish in a barrel" springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

They could pay for all the roadworks with the amount of people speeding through there:)
    I was going towards wilton at 70km/h the other day and every car behind me was flying past, i felt like an old lady driving along:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

If you do get caught by one of these, is it a letter in the post sort of thing?

In anycase, it should be used to clock people coming towards the roundabout (toward construction), not driving away (from construction).
    Even the sharp bends they put in are more dangerous imo.

rcdk1 wrote: »
    Lads, have a bit of cop-on. This isn't about making money, it's about your safety and the safety of the workers on a construction site. The traffic management at the site is based on the assumption that traffic is travelling at 60kph or less.

At least you have your steel box with airbags, crumple zones and all that. On the other hand, some poor schmuck who's just doing his job isn't going to get much protection from a hi-vis vest and a hard hat when you plough into him at 100kph.

sounds lovely in theory, but why don't they place it on the other side of the road (where an accident occurred on Monday)? We know why, you can't build up the speed on that side due to the bends in the road, but the other side is handy for them.

I've also seen the dangerous driving from some of the construction workers themselves, suddenly swerving through the cones to access the site without using indicator lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

namloc1980 wrote: »
    "Shooting fish in a barrel" springs to mind.

If people obey they law they won't get caught. It's a simple as that.

evilivor wrote: »
    If people obey they law they won't may not get caught. It's a simple as that.

fixed that for ya ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

If people obey they law they won't get caught. It's a simple as that.
    Would you have said the same to someone who bought condoms in 1979?
    The law needs to be constantly challenged in forums like this one. Otherwise how can we be sure the law is right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I was passing there last Saturday about lunch time and there was a Garda there with a camera standing out in the middle of the construction site facing Sarsfield Rd Roundabout. Just wondering were they doing some surveillance, or trying to catch ppl too without using the van.

Either way, he nearly caused more crashes with the amount of ppl slamming on the breaks when they saw him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It's good to see this being enforced as very few drivers are obeying the temp. speed limit, the construction workers are in a very vulnerable position in the area of the road works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

If its a revenue generating van ill get a photo and post it here, thanks for the warning
    Did you see a speed camera? Ireland
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Did-you-see-a-speed-camera-Ireland/168014059897337?ref=ts&fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Gone today wasn't it? Or did they just move it?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Its garda gatso van can park anywhere they want the location on garda website is for the Go Safe vans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

bogman wrote: »
    If its a revenue generating van ill get a photo and post it here, thanks for the warning
    Did you see a speed camera? Ireland
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Did-you-see-a-speed-camera-Ireland/168014059897337?ref=ts&fref=ts

There was a fatal RTA on that road last week. It's not a revenue exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

There was a fatal RTA on that road last week. It's not a revenue exercise
    that wasnt on that road , that happend on sarsfield rd, halfway up the hill, that accident was nothing whatsoever to do with the roadworks, the N40 or anything discussed on this thread.

The only reason i know so much is i live within a few hundred meters of where that accident happened and cycled past it the following morning when the road was still closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

If its Gatso im staying well clear, revenue generating camera's, thats another matter, accident was well up in Sarsfield road (unfortunately)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Lads can someone please confirm for me whether its Go Safe (marked van) or Gatso (unmarked white transit) that is out there.

Advertisement