Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardi to tackle cycle menaces

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Are they also going to crack down on drivers and pedestrians who break the law and act recklessly around roads?

It seems bizarre to just focus on cyclists when all road users are capable of stupid behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Ya, never mind the gang war thats going on in dublin, lets get the cyclists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Are they also going to crack down on drivers and pedestrians who break the law and act recklessly around roads?
    They target drivers 24/7...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

The “casualty reduction” plan, launched yesterday, will see “the full rigours of the law” applied to cyclists who go through red lights, cycle on footpaths or travel the wrong way on a one-way street facing increased levels of Garda enforcement.

A press release and initiative to announce that they are actually going to enforce the law. Congrats.

This thread however - is going to get out of hand :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Why they even allow people play with those toys on the same road as motor vehicles in the first place is puzzling. This is good news for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

It seems bizarre to just focus on cyclists when all road users are capable of stupid behaviour.
    They already do crack down on other road users, hence the numbers of people on penalty points etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Will they inspect the treacherous junctions and roads and excuses for bicycle lanes that cyclists face on their hazardous journeys?

Will they ticket the cars that park in the bicycle lanes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

Chinasea wrote: »
    Will they inspect the treacherous junctions and roads and excuses for bicycle lanes that cyclists face on their hazardous journeys?

Will they ticket the cars that park in the bicycle lanes?
    It aint illegal to park on a cycle lane in many cases.

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Ya, never mind the gang war thats going on in dublin, lets get the cyclists
    Don't know why anyone thanked this. It's not the job of traffic corps and the average cop on the beat to track down gangland scumbags!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

On yer bike slurry face.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Kurz wrote: »
    Why they even allow people play with those toys on the same road as motor vehicles in the first place is puzzling. This is good news for everyone.

As a cyclist attitudes like that genuinely concern me. A bicycle is classed, by the law, as a vehicle. While on the road I behave just like that. I position myself on the road as a car, I don't skip red lights, I don't cycle on footpaths and I don't weave in-between traffic. I'm not alone.

I treat everyone who uses the road with respect and only have a problem when someone acts out of line. I don't automatically decry any class of road user simply for the means that they use to get around.

As I said, an attitude like that displayed above genuinely concerns me for my welfare while on the road and others like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Delighted with this news, cyclists are mostly clowns who have nothing but a blatant disregard for the rules of the road.

Here's an idea, raise some much needed govt money but making ever take a written exam to get a bicycle license. €5 a pop. And fine people €500 for not wearing a helmet. I cannot understand why a person would get on a bicycle without a helmet. And yea sure feck it, same fine for not wearing a seatbelt in a vehicle & talking/texting on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

As a cyclist I agree that this needs to be addressed however I'd like to see the Gardai up their efforts to combat bike theft. Even with the best locks it's not safe to lock your bike in the city centre.

smash wrote: »
    Don't know why anyone thanked this. It's not the job of traffic corps and the average cop on the beat to track down gangland scumbags!

Yes it is

Delighted with this news, cyclists are mostly clowns who have nothing but a blatant disregard for the rules of the road.

Here's an idea, raise some much needed govt money but making ever take a written exam to get a bicycle license. €5 a pop. And fine people €500 for not wearing a helmet. I cannot understand why a person would get on a bicycle without a helmet. And yea sure feck it, same fine for not wearing a seatbelt in a vehicle & talking/texting on the phone.

Those helmets are deadly

fedor.2. wrote: »

Yes it is
    No, it really isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Slurryface wrote: »
    Good to see that at last the gardai are going to tackle the menace that are cyclists who think that the rules of the road only apply to other road users, hopefully plenty of bikes will be confiscated and summomes issued. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1002/1224324727714.html

Bitter driver is bitter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

you obviously are an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I've been cycling and had other cyclists shout at me for obstructing their path because i have had the audacity to stop at a red light.
    I would estimate that, if the road ahead is clear, about 85/90% of cyclists in Dublin will break the red light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The argument that the Gardai should abandon all other duties to focus exclusively on catching gangland criminals is a silly one. Proper road safety, and the policing of same is a function of the police force of any stable and mature society.

As someone who cycles regularly I fail to see how the bike lobby can start moaning about the implementation of such laws, while also decrying the actions of motorists. The 'don't be a dick' rule should apply regardless of what vehicle you use to get about.

No, it really isn't.

What have you got against cyclists?

Sergeant wrote: »
    The argument that the Gardai should abandon all other duties to focus exclusively on catching gangland criminals is a silly one. Proper road safety, and the policing of same is a function of the police force of any stable and mature society.

As someone who cycles regularly I fail to see how the bike lobby can start moaning about the implementation of such laws, while also decrying the actions of motorists. The 'don't be a dick' rule should apply regardless of what vehicle you use to get about.

Who was making that argument??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

TBH, bad cyclists are an irritation, but a motorist drives a lethal weapon. I think that before they are targeted, the complete lack of quality cycle lanes etc needs to be dealt with. EVERY person I know that cycles to work has had serious injury due to motorists and lack of good cycle infrastructure. I'm not a cyclist neither btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I've cycled, walked and driven in Dublin city centre and from each vantage point I have given out about the other two doing stupid things and endangering others.

TL; DR -People are stupid, not bikes or cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I blame Lance Armstrong. As soon as "poor me, little Mr.Johnny One Ball" got pulled for doping, I knew that'd be the end for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

. I cannot understand why a person would get on a bicycle without a helmet. And yea sure feck it, same fine for not wearing a seatbelt in a vehicle & talking/texting on the phone.

They clearly save so many lives why stop at cyclists? Given that more drivers and pedestrians die each year on the roads than cyclists and I imagine head injuries are prevalent amoungst those deaths (and I guess non fatal accidents as well) surely it should be mandatory for everyone to wear a helmet!

You implied it fedor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

It is odd but I have never heard on the news or by word of mouth of anyone being killed or seriously injured by a cyclist even though some of them speed on footpaths like fcuking nutters. I would nearly rather tke my chances being hit by a car at 40mph rtaher than a bicycle- at least with a car the roll over the bonnet/ boot might actually save your life, with a bike you get completely pummeled.

At the risk of needing a projecter and a poor attempt at subliminal "Not a Racist" messaging, I used to work around an area back home where most of the staff in the industrial estates were foreign, and tbh the cyclists are even more dangerous than the drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I'm a cyclist, motorist and pedestrian by turns and yes there are reckless people using all forms of transport. I actually look forward to sensible enforcement of the law, as it reduces idiot behaviour, however the notion that I should be using the cycle lane on the foot path from Finglas down to the Tolka valley is insane, I'm doing 50->60KPH on that stretch and the cycle lane has a bus stop in it, there is no way I'm going to obey the current law that I should use the available cycle lane where it endangers myself or others. That's one example and there are a few, but overall I welcome this move, I assume other road users breaking lights etc... will also be targeted at the same time.

Advertisement