Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭cullenswood

They will come back, and everyone will be disappointed.

People will be comparing back to the "good old days" and say its just not the same. They will end up not having the same cult following they had. It will peter out in a year or two.

It's just a pity they didn't stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

They will come back, and everyone will be disappointed.

People will be comparing back to the "good old days" and say its just not the same. They will end up not having the same cult following they had. It will peter out in a year or two.

It's just a pity they didn't stay put.

This is possibly the most Irish thing I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭cullenswood

This is possibly the most Irish thing I've ever read.

I guarantee you it is what will happen. I am not saying it will be me saying these things, but I think it will be how it will pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I guarantee you it is what will happen. I am not saying it will be me saying these things, but I think it will be how it will pan out.

Oh I don't disagree with just thought it sounded very Irish. Yeah they'll probably find it a lot harder if they have a competing show on Newstalk even if it is awful. Sure there's probably people still listening to OTB and not even noticed that the lads are gone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

ill support them whatever it is, i've found myself strangely less informed since they went off the air

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i've started this thread, just to separate from the OTB thread, since that's what happened a couple of months ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84436575#post84436575

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I guarantee you

I think it will be how it will pan out.

"guarantee"? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think Ger, Joe and Parkinson are getting it slowly back on track... Some of that stuff about "The Parkinson Cup" was funny tonight, and reminiscent of the old show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The most humble Graham Hunter ever sounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

I think Ger, Joe and Parkinson are getting it slowly back on track... Some of that stuff about "The Parkinson Cup" was funny tonight, and reminiscent of the old show...

Missed it tonight , what's this Parkinson cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Missed it tonight , what's this Parkinson cup?

they were talking about reorganising the GAA championship, and Colm Parkinson mentioned a (worthwhile) proposal to have the provincial championships earlier in the year to allow for club football etc to go ahead as normal. then link the all ireland championship to league format (this is where i got lost) so that the top half go for the All-Ireland and the bottom half go for the Parkinson cup... i think..

the jist of it was that since the back door system has come in, the provincial championship has been diluted from the all-ireland, so separate it altogether.

was that it???!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

ill support them whatever it is, i've found myself strangely less informed since they went off the air

I'm in the same boat myself. I find myself reading more newspapers. Hopefully there will be an announcement on their new show soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

I can still see myself listening to the Ger Gilroy off the ball when the 2nd captains lads come back, it is win win really.... another podcast to listen to, I am always looking for more good ones.

the podcasts I would listen to every week would be
    Football weekly, The Game, Off the Ball, Newstalk Saturday/Sunday, The Panel (shame the range of guests is so limited, would like if they got people like dara o 'se, Ken Mcgrath, Joe Deane.... instead of guys who like andreas doyle, colm parkinson over and over, honestly had to look up who andreas doyle was), Game on occassionaly when i have everything else listened too.

Another other podcasts that are worth a listen?

Ill definitely listen to the new show and the current off the ball lads. I'd listen to both Mary cooper and George Hook if he is on. Depending on topic being discussed. I really do hope it works out for Eoin and the lads. 2fm if that's their destination could ruin them or get them back to where they were. Very hard to see how it could be better than where they were on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Deedsie wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat myself. I find myself reading more newspapers. Hopefully there will be an announcement on their new show soon.

It's worse if you are away from home, once they're gone you realise how much you depended on them to let you know how Irish sport is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ill definitely listen to the new show and the current off the ball lads. I'd listen to both Mary cooper and George Hook if he is on. Depending on topic being discussed. I really do hope it works out for Eoin and the lads. 2fm if that's their destination could ruin them or get them back to where they were. Very hard to see how it could be better than where they were on Newstalk.

A memory man slot with Jimmy Magee.......or some light-hearted banter with Ireland's favourite sports journalist Dessie Cahill......of course they will need to get a cover on the RTE Guide to promote it.

It would actually be a laugh if they got Joe Duffy on to the show, given how he featured in the previous incarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭brick tamland

noiniho wrote: »
    I can still see myself listening to the Ger Gilroy off the ball when the 2nd captains lads come back, it is win win really.... another podcast to listen to, I am always looking for more good ones.

the podcasts I would listen to every week would be
    Football weekly, The Game, Off the Ball, Newstalk Saturday/Sunday, The Panel (shame the range of guests is so limited, would like if they got people like dara o 'se, Ken Mcgrath, Joe Deane.... instead of guys who like andreas doyle, colm parkinson over and over, honestly had to look up who andreas doyle was), Game on occassionaly when i have everything else listened too.

Another other podcasts that are worth a listen?

The football ramble is really good too.

Back on topic Ive stopped downloading the football show podcast, might stick in on if I'm in the car but not bothered by it either way. I like Gilroy and Molloy on the weekend show, just dont think it works as well on the football show

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The waiting is nearly over ...

THE SO-CALLED Off The Ball 5 will reveal, on Tuesday, where they’ll next work, TheScore.ie understands

Ken Early, Simon Hick, Mark Horgan, Eoin McDevitt and Ciaran Murphy left Newstalk suddenly almost two months ago citing a disagreement with station bosses on the direction of the popular nightly sports show. They have since been on gardening leave.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/off-the-ball-comeback-2-893973-May2013/?utm_source=shortlink

Skid X wrote: »
    The waiting is nearly over ...

THE SO-CALLED Off The Ball 5 will reveal, on Tuesday, where they’ll next work, TheScore.ie understands

Ken Early, Simon Hick, Mark Horgan, Eoin McDevitt and Ciaran Murphy left Newstalk suddenly almost two months ago citing a disagreement with station bosses on the direction of the popular nightly sports show. They have since been on gardening leave.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/off-the-ball-comeback-2-893973-May2013/?utm_source=shortlink

The site is down unfortunately... That's great news, something to look forward to after the long weekend. Will be great to have them back on air. We get two sports shows now, that's surely good news to anyone.

I'd say it is tough on people outside Ireland since they left, they were a great source of info and a link to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The site is down unfortunately... That's great news, something to look forward to after the long weekend. Will be great to have them back on air. We get two sports shows now, that's surely good news to anyone.

I'd say it is tough on people outside Ireland since they left, they were a great source of info and a link to home.

It was working for me a minute ago, try this link

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/off-the-ball-comeback-2-893973-May2013/

Here is the only other bit of information in the article ...

Speculation about their next home have ranged from RTE’s 2fm to 4fm and Radio Nova over the past weeks but the decision will now be outlined after the long weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

About time, I need something to jog to instead of Ke$ha!

About time, I need something to jog to instead of Ke$ha!

Fatboy slim, DJ Spiller (groovejet) & Daft Punk have jumped to the top of my 25 most played in the last couple of months.

A change would be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Well if it is 2fm they'll certainly be financially better off, which I'm sure was the root cause of all of this. But I think you're right, 40,000+ listeners is the most any radio show will get at that time of night. It will be interesting to see if their new station will give them a earlier start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I thought the current time slot suited the show tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BertMark

The time they go on air could be the most interesting aspect in some ways. If they go drivetime or earlier it will be very interesting to see how that works.

On the other hand, if they return in roughly the same format as an evening sports show it could lead to both them and the new OTB bleeding each other dry as they carve up an already small market into two small shares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

A radio show and maybe a TV show.
    With rumours that an announcement concerning the future of Eoin McDevitt and four colleagues is imminent, the Herald has learned that a slot on RTE TV and radio could be on the cards for the sports pundits.
    "The Off The Ball team have submitted a proposal for a new TV sports show to RTE, and it's being considered at the moment," said a station insider.
    The national broadcaster had originally indicated they did not have the finances to hire McDevitt, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy, Mark Horgan and Simon Hick, who all resigned en masse from Newstalk last March. However, a deal that would see them contributing to RTE TV and radio could be struck. The five are said to be also talking to station 2fm, whose new boss Dan Healy is a former Newstalk CEO.

http://www.herald.ie/news/off-the-ball-crew-aim-for-return-to-tv-and-radio-29242435.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Finally we get the chance to see Ken's luscious golden locks in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Btw for any of you guys on twitter, aside from the official group twitter handle @The2ndCaptains, the 5 lads all have individual accounts worth following.

@EoinMcDevitt

@saveciaranmurph

@Younghorgan

@kenearlys

@hicksimon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

This would be the am excellent outcome... As long as they are allowed do their own thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

noiniho wrote: »
    This would be the am excellent outcome... As long as they are allowed do their own thing

A TV show?

Like...Premier Soccer Saturday :-D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement