Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dummys guide to DIY Calving Camera

Options
  • 30-08-2012 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I want a calving camera with the following functionality;
    1. View on my Iphone from anywhere.
    2. View on my TV / PC.
    3. Ability to rotate and zoom camera would be a nice to have.
    Im not a complete dummy when it comes to electronics but Im not an automation engineer either. Maybe I would be better off going to an export to install but I truely believe It cant be that hard....I might live to regret that statement!

With regards to cameras from my internet searches It appears I need a PTZ camera. "A pan–tilt–zoom camera (PTZ camera) is a camera that is capable of remote directional and zoom control." This appears to cover Item 3.

So my question is what other hardware / software do I need to get and how to piece it together?

I have no problem taking a risk and buying items from china / ebay etc.

Can I request that this thread not become a thread of recommending companies to do the complete install but a guide to DIY.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It might be worth re posting this over on the tech page
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=907

It's a good idea though, a cheapie chinese camera could be up graded by someone who knows more than us farmers.
    Watch out for customs though if you are buying outside EU, hope it works out for you.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

19driver83 wrote: »
    I want a calving camera with the following functionality;
    1. View on my Iphone from anywhere.
    2. View on my TV / PC.
    3. Ability to rotate and zoom camera would be a nice to have.
    Im not a complete dummy when it comes to electronics but Im not an automation engineer either. Maybe I would be better off going to an export to install but I truely believe It cant be that hard....I might live to regret that statement!

With regards to cameras from my internet searches It appears I need a PTZ camera. "A pan–tilt–zoom camera (PTZ camera) is a camera that is capable of remote directional and zoom control." This appears to cover Item 3.

So my question is what other hardware / software do I need to get and how to piece it together?

I have no problem taking a risk and buying items from china / ebay etc.

Can I request that this thread not become a thread of recommending companies to do the complete install but a guide to DIY.
    if you buy a ptz camera you will be able to view it on your normal web browser, you will just need to give it an ip address, on your browser for example your camera might be http://192.168.1.100
    so you wont need any special software.for your iphone it will also work on safari but there are some nice apps available for Ip cameras so its just a case of picking one to suit which ever brand yo buy, they are usually only a few dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Might be a silly questions...

But at nighttime do you have to leave the lights on in the shed or is there an infrared feature on these cameras?

Toplink wrote: »
    Might be a silly questions...

But at nighttime do you have to leave the lights on in the shed or is there an infrared feature on these cameras?

yes on some, if its a big shed you would be better with a light on i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

Check price difference with having few fixed cameras compared to one rotating. If cow facing towards you, fancy camera cant see behind her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭19driver83

if you buy a ptz camera you will be able to view it on your normal web browser, you will just need to give it an ip address, on your browser for example your camera might be http://192.168.1.100
    so you wont need any special software.for your iphone it will also work on safari but there are some nice apps available for Ip cameras so its just a case of picking one to suit which ever brand yo buy, they are usually only a few dollars

Are you saying that the PTZ camera is the only thing I need to buy? How does this communicate or is there a built in transmitter?:confused:

Are you saying that the PTZ camera is the only thing I need to buy? How does this communicate or is there a built in transmitter?:confused:

where wil camera be situated, farms sheds ? are they beside your house?
    basically if you go with an IP system you will either need a physical cable to connect your laptop to camera or you will need to connect wirelessly so you may need some wireless equipment..
    in most cases nowadays most houses have some form of broadband and have a little modem of some description already in their house, if your camera was close enough you could just run the network cable from your camera back to this little modem (they usually have 3 or 4 network ports in the back) and network them up (laptop and camera) that way..however most likely you would need a wireless link to your sheds, your wireless gear can also be cabled back to your modem to have all your equipment on 1 network..
    hope that makes some sense

where wil camera be situated, farms sheds ? are they beside your house?
    basically if you go with an IP system you will either need a physical cable to connect your laptop to camera or you will need to connect wirelessly so you may need some wireless equipment..
    in most cases nowadays most houses have some form of broadband and have a little modem of some description already in their house, if your camera was close enough you could just run the network cable from your camera back to this little modem (they usually have 3 or 4 network ports in the back) and network them up (laptop and camera) that way..however most likely you would need a wireless link to your sheds, your wireless gear can also be cabled back to your modem to have all your equipment on 1 network..
    hope that makes some sense
    Camera would be located in shed approx 400m from house.
    I have a wireless modem in house.
    Thus, can expand a little on what hardware is required to tansmit wirelessly from camera to house? Thanks in advance.

Thus, can expand a little on what hardware is required to tansmit wirelessly from camera to house? Thanks in advance.

http://www.irishwireless.net/192-nanostationm5-airmax-ap-cpe-.html
    you could buy 2 of these, easy to set up and will cover that distance no bother
    they can be cabled tied to down pipes or anything so easy to install, basically point them at each other, there is a strength indicator on back to tell you whether they are lined up..
    i only suggest these because i have similar (older model) and they have worked well for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I picked up a dirt cheap fleabay nightvision wifi camera with ptz to try use for this last yr, only cost me 40/50quid, which is well less then any of the proper cameras cost. The camera was a dud though, and wasn't worth returning. It's the risk you take, but well worth it instead of paying 300quid or so for a proper one! I still haven't got around to getting another one, but certainly will try another one again before the calving season next year. Its fairly easy to hook them upto the internet, as someone said they have theirown IP address so just fire that into the browser on your phone/laptop and it should work straightup!

If you find a decent cheap camera, and get it working could you please fire up a link to the camera and let us know how well you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

you could buy 2 of these, easy to set up and will cover that distance no bother
    they can be cabled tied to down pipes or anything so easy to install, basically point them at each other, there is a strength indicator on back to tell you whether they are lined up..
    i only suggest these because i have similar (older model) and they have worked well for me anyway

Two of these will work equally well and are just about 1/2 the price!

http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/ubiquiti-nanostation-loco-24ghz-p-992.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Timmaay wrote: »
    I picked up a dirt cheap fleabay nightvision wifi camera with ptz to try use for this last yr, only cost me 40/50quid, which is well less then any of the proper cameras cost. The camera was a dud though, and wasn't worth returning. It's the risk you take, but well worth it instead of paying 300quid or so for a proper one! I still haven't got around to getting another one, but certainly will try another one again before the calving season next year. Its fairly easy to hook them upto the internet, as someone said they have theirown IP address so just fire that into the browser on your phone/laptop and it should work straightup!

If you find a decent cheap camera, and get it working could you please fire up a link to the camera and let us know how well you get on!
    I hope you don't end up buying 6 of them (i.e. €300) before you get a good one ;)

you could buy 2 of these, easy to set up and A will cover that distance no bother
    could you use these to extend wifi access to another house 200m away? So if you got 3 of them could you link a camera at the shed and another house into one broadband connection?

just do it wrote: »
    could you use these to extend wifi access to another house 200m away? So if you got 3 of them could you link a camera at the shed and another house into one broadband connection?

ya i have 3, i have my house and the brothers house and the sheds all linked, also it means just 1 broadband connection so when the brother is home he can use my broadband down at his house,

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SoJoMo

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pgjk

SoJoMo wrote: »

DON'T DO IT!! :eek:

I definately would not recommend a Dericam, if you're going to buy a chinese camera then buy a Foscam, I've used a lot of them and have had very little problems.

Big difference in quality between Foscam & Dericam.

pgjk wrote: »
    DON'T DO IT!! :eek:

I definately would not recommend a Dericam, if you're going to buy a chinese camera then buy a Foscam, I've used a lot of them and have had very little problems.

Big difference in quality between Foscam & Dericam.

Thanks, I think ive came to the conclusion that Foscam is the way to go. Thinking of gettting the foscam fi8918w.
    Only thing is that it doesnt have a zoom feature but all the reviews are very good about this camera.

Which foscam camera would you recommend?

Thanks, I think ive came to the conclusion that Foscam is the way to go. Thinking of gettting the foscam fi8918w.
    Only thing is that it doesnt have a zoom feature but all the reviews are very good about this camera.

Which foscam camera would you recommend?

Yes that's the one I use for nearly all calving sheds, have one fitted for over 2 years in an open faced hay shed as a security cam and its still working perfect provided no rain gets to it.

The foscam app is very handy also and it's features have improved a lot recently.

Yes no zoom feature but can monitor 3 calving pens no problem.

Obviously with sheep a zoom feature is handy; optical zoom, not digital zoom.

Yes that's the one I use for nearly all calving sheds, have one fitted for over 2 years in an open faced hay shed as a security cam and its still working perfect provided no rain gets to it.

The foscam app is very handy also and it's features have improved a lot recently.

Yes no zoom feature but can monitor 3 calving pens no problem.

Obviously with sheep a zoom feature is handy; optical zoom, not digital zoom.

And were you able to pick up the camera from your house or how did you connect upto wifi?

And were you able to pick up the camera from your house or how did you connect upto wifi?

Yeah through wifi, hayshed to house is about 25-35 metres clear sight, as soon as someone drives into the house I get six pictures emailed to me and I can then check the live video with my phone and see whats happening :cool: , downside is dogs, heavy rain, fast moving shadows from sun & clouds etc set the camera motion sensor off a good bit too.

But if you need to bounce the signal further use wifi range extenders as mentioned earlier, I've used TP Link ones with larger antennas before to bounce wifi up to nearly 80m.

You can get bigger and better ones obviously depending on budget or else just run a cat 5 cable (not sure how far you can run a cat 5 cable though)

• Advertisement

Yeah through wifi, hayshed to house is about 25-35 metres clear sight, as soon as someone drives into the house I get six pictures emailed to me and I can then check the live video with my phone and see whats happening :cool: , downside is dogs, heavy run, shadows etc set the camera morion sensor off a good bit too.

But if you need to bounce the signal further use wifi range extenders as mentioned earlier, I've used TP Link ones with larger antennas before to bounce wifi up to nearly 80m.

You can get bigger and better ones obvioucly depending on budget or else just run a cat 5 cable (not sure how far you can run a cat 5 cable though)

Thanks again. Didnt realise that you would get notification if something passed under camera.

To conclude, the only thing I need to buy is the camera, which I plan to buy durectly from Foscam UK and if my wifi picks up the camera im laughing!

Thanks again. Didnt realise that you would get notification if something passed under camera.

To conclude, the only thing I need to buy is the camera, which I plan to buy durectly from Foscam UK and if my wifi picks up the camera im laughing!

Yeah basically, setting it up so that you can access it over the internet and recieve email notifications when you are away from the house is not that simple but achievable if you are relatively handy on computers :D

Chinese instructions are not very clear when translated to english, lots of info on Foscam.com's forum anyway to help you out.

Best of luck :)

I've been comparing specs on these two cameras. The indoor one has audio (is this much of a bonus?) and pan & tilt (obvious bonus) and has 8m night time vision (sufficient). But.... it is designed for indoors.

The outdoor model doesn't have pan & tilt (main disadvantage - or is it?) but has a "waterproof and weather proof outdoor housing" and has night time vision up to 20m.

My shed is open sided and whilst the camera won't get wet from direct rain it will get wet from dampness. Does this rule out the indoor model?

The main disadvantage I see with the outdoor model is the lack of pan & tilt. However it has a 67 degree viewing angle and greater night vision upto 20m so if it positioned well is this such a disadvantage?

One further question. If these cameras are located inside the shed, is the signal strong enough to pass out through the galvanise sheeting to a nano-station? I recall on a previous thread someone cut out a section on the galvanise so the antenna could be outside.

All in all a cheap system. Camera for €95 + postage and 2 nano-stations for €67 + postage. Throw in an extra nano-station for €34 and a neighbour gets free broadband :)

I've been comparing specs on these two cameras. The indoor one has audio (is this much of a bonus?) and pan & tilt (obvious bonus) and has 8m night time vision (sufficient). But.... it is designed for indoors.

The outdoor model doesn't have pan & tilt (main disadvantage - or is it?) but has a "waterproof and weather proof outdoor housing" and has night time vision up to 20m.

My shed is open sided and whilst the camera won't get wet from direct rain it will get wet from dampness. Does this rule out the indoor model?

The main disadvantage I see with the outdoor model is the lack of pan & tilt. However it has a 67 degree viewing angle and greater night vision upto 20m so if it positioned well is this such a disadvantage?
    i have a pan tilt zoom camera in the shed, ive had a fixed camera previously, believe me there is no comparison, ptz all the way. its worth spending a few quid and get a decent camera. even fully indoors though you would want a dome for your camera, you know the way all the steam and dust and ****e that seem to rise off cattle so you will find even high up the camera gets dirty enough

As vanderbadger said, Pan & tilt is the only way, 67 degree is not a great viewing angle, you will need the have the camera located a good bit away from the pen to allow you to see the whole area,

As I said I've had mine in an open hayshed for 2+ years and no problems, so it's up to you

The sound quality is OK but rarely needed anyway

Thanks lads, decision made. Going for the indoor ptz version.

Vander, what's the dome you refer to?

the dome is just the glass or plastic case that covers the camera

the dome is just the glass or plastic case that covers the camera
    Thanks van, I assume it comes with the camera? One final question, is it worth getting two? Springing cows will be in one of two calving pens or in the two slatted pens directly in front of them I.e. will need to cover a 9m x 8m area in total

• Advertisement

Thanks van, I assume it comes with the camera? One final question, is it worth getting two? Springing cows will be in one of two calving pens or in the two slatted pens directly in front of them I.e. will need to cover a 9m x 8m area in total

this is the camera I have
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Axis-215-PTZ-CCTV-Camera-With-2-Indoor-Housings-Power-Supply-/170907314612?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item27cadea9b4
    i got it a bit cheaper but was looking for a long time on ebay..its a super camera, you could cover a massive shed if you had it centrally mounted, massive zoom you can read ear tag remotely no prob. I think its worth buying a good camera when you see how well they work

Advertisement