Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-06-2012, 04:46   #1
jaydoxx

3DS XL

I feel like nintendo just trolled me, and I fell for it hook line and sinker. I must have one and I can't justify why. Have I become a fanboy?
Advertisement
22-06-2012, 05:39   #2
Mr E
Administrator

Pretty cool, but while updating the hardware, why not build in the CPP?

22-06-2012, 06:39   #3
RobbingBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E View Post
Pretty cool, but while updating the hardware, why not build in the CPP?

Looks good, any info on a release date yet or was this just a prototype image,damn I am getting it day one.
22-06-2012, 08:00   #4
Mr E
Administrator

You could probably trade in your 3DS and get it for under 100.
22-06-2012, 09:48   #5
DamoElDiablo
Lumpy Space Prince

Aside from the obvious size, and button changes, apparently the battery life is better too. Not by that much though tbh. And it doesn't come with a charger. And the second slider stick add on obviously won't work with it. I'll be sticking with my normal 3DS. It fits in my pocket. The bigger one probably wouldn't!

On the screens:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
The system's top screen is now 4.88 inches, while the lower screen is now 4.18 inches. Both screens will be 90% larger than on the original 3DS. The actual resolution on the screens is the same as the original 3DS.
[edit]
The Japanese one won't have a charger, but the American one will, so the European one probably will too.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-06-2012, 09:57   #6
wes

No 2nd thumb stick, so I don't really see the point. The bigger screen is certainly nice, but imho not worth an upgrade.
22-06-2012, 10:01   #7
Mr E
Administrator

You have to wonder how 3DS games will scale. Will they look jaggy/blurry on the bigger screen?
22-06-2012, 10:02   #8
CastorTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbingBandit View Post
Looks good, any info on a release date yet or was this just a prototype image,damn I am getting it day one.
July 28th in Europe and Aug 19 in America.

Looks good. Would be tempted but I like my nice Zelda 3DS so won't be trading it in. also I usually play it in bed so wouldn't fancy trying to hold that XL the whole time.

Think the reason for not including the second pad is because it would alienate those with 1 pad. Though they will need a new version of the CPP which would leave it massive.

Also I thought the idea of having a black surround for the top screen on the 3DS was because they had to for the 3D to work better. Looks like be colour coordinated now
22-06-2012, 10:03   #9
robman60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoElDiablo View Post
The Japanese one won't have a charger, but the American one will, so the European one probably will too.
I can't understand the reasoning for not providing a charger at all.

Anyway, I'll be keeping my original 3DS. Not a chance this thing would fit in my pocket.
Advertisement
22-06-2012, 10:59   #10
ShaneU

nintendo aren't going to alienate every one who bought a 3ds early by putting a second thumb stick on there and having games released that require it to work.
22-06-2012, 11:04   #11
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Shocking that it still only has one stick.
I'd also wonder how the 3D will fare on the bigger screen as there's no resolution change.
No bundled ac adaptor for JP beggars belief as it's a handheld.
Battery life increase isn't enough to warrant an upgrade.

You'd have to wonder, aside form the larger screen, what is the selling point here??
22-06-2012, 11:05   #12
SdoowSirhc

I don't know why but I feel a bit f#*ked over Really want one but there's no way I can pay for another basically same handheld except a bit too large to pocket. Would the bigger screen with same resolution not ruin the graphics, especially the 3D?
22-06-2012, 11:10   #13
Azure_sky
Closed Account

The battery isn't that much increased for 3DS games and according to Nintendo Life Europe won't get a charger either. I guess they want to discourage people trading in the original version for this. It does come with a 4 gig SD card but I bet most people would like a charger instead. Not tempting for me. I remember the days when a console came with a game, now we're lucky if we get the A.C. adaptor.

Nintendo 3DS XL
3DS software — Between 3.5hrs and 6.5hrs
DS software — Between 6hrs and 10hrs
Nintendo 3DS
3DS software — Between 3hrs and 5hrs
DS software — Between 5hrs and 8hrs.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...nsole_revealed

Thanks from:
22-06-2012, 11:10   #14
SdoowSirhc

Quote:
The revision will be available in Japan on July 28th (just in time for New Super Mario Bros 2) for 18,900 Yen
Never even heard about NSMB 2
22-06-2012, 11:13   #15
GTR63
Closed Account

Really annoyed at nintendo for this, the 3DS is on the market what 15 months and now has quite honestly a bit of a pointless revision, oh and didn't they deny a nikkei report this was coming 2 weeks ago.
Does the bottom screen still scratch the top screen a bit when it closes I wonder? I'd nearly bet it still does

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion