Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barman with tattoos

Options
  • 10-06-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has both his arms tattooed ( full sleeves ) and works as a barman. He started a new job and was told t shirts , polo shirts or long / short sleeved shirts were allowed to be worn. He informed the manger about his tattoos and was told he would only be allowed to wear long sleeves as the manager didn't think tattoos gave the right impression to customers.

He has stuck to this rule even when its been really hot and a t shirt would be more suitable but tonight the staff have been told they can wear Ireland jerseys or t shirts for the match. He has all the Ireland jerseys and tops but all short sleeves so unless he's prepared to go and buy a long sleeved jersey he has to wear a regular shirt.

My question is , would a barman with tattoos wearing short sleeves put you off the pub or change your impression of the member of staff. I know tattoos are a personal thing and everyone has their own thoughts on them but seeing as he has been working there for over a year and all the regular customers would know him very well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

As long as he gets the right pint for me and doesn't make it like muck I couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Tats aren't my thing but they definitely wouldn't be a factor in my deciding whether or not to go to a pub or to go to another. Should be a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

As much as I love tattoos, and plan to get many more in addition to my current ones, some work environments just don't go well with full sleeve tattoos, or even visible ones.

Depending on what style bar he's working in, then visible tattoos may not look great or suit the tone of the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Definitely shouldn't be a problem for anyone in a pub environment, pubs are meant to be relaxed not formal.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Karen23 wrote: »
    My question is , would a barman with tattoos wearing short sleeves put you off the pub or change your impression of the member of staff. I know tattoos are a personal thing and everyone has their own thoughts on them but seeing as he has been working there for over a year and all the regular customers would know him very well.

I can't stand tattoos but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the barman's arms were covered in them. I'm only buying a drink off him, what difference does the look of his arms make? None.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Im disapointed, I thought the thread tital was "Batman with tattoos" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I could sort of understand if it was the bar in the Shelbourne or something but how classy can a place that lets its staff wear soccer jerseys be?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

You're right Sonics2k , he never objected to having to wear the long sleeves knowing that serving the public didn't suit tattoos and knowing from day 1 so he has stuck with the rule but he thought the manager might have made an exception for him during the Euros because all the other staff are wearing their jerseys and now that he's been there for over a year and regular customers would have already formed their opinions of him.

He doesn't object to the rule , just looking for a customers view on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Depends on the nature of the work/environment, and the nature of the tattoos.

None offensive tattoos on a barman would not bother me. As said already, as long as he serves me up a good pint that's all that maters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

JPA wrote: »
    Definitely shouldn't be a problem for anyone in a pub environment, pubs are meant to be relaxed not formal.
    thats true to certain extent but what,say,he's pulling pints in the 4 seasons hotel or some other overpriced kip?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Why not just wear a long-sleeved top under his jersey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Depends entirely on the venue.

In your average pub, it would not matter one iota to me.

But say in your average 4 star hotel, where you're paying more for allegedly better service and surroundings, nothing against tattoo’s at all, but I would expect most staff to be in long sleeves and dressed smarter etc. anyway.

Sonics2k wrote: »

Depending on what style bar he's working in, then visible tattoos may not look great or suit the tone of the bar.

Its just a local pub where customers would be regulars but would have passing trade and match crowds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Woulldnt bother me at all as long as he looked fairly tidy himself and not like a total scumbag. If he did then they would just add to the effect.

Why not just wear a long-sleeved top under his jersey?

He tried this before going to work but decided if it got busy he'd be sweating in two tops. No one wants to be served by a sweating barman , tattoos or not.

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Woulldnt bother me at all as long as he looked fairly tidy himself and not like a total scumbag. If he did then they would just add to the effect.

I agree but he's always clean shaven , no piercings or hand / neck tattoos and looks very respectable while wearing his regular working clothes ( shirt & trousers )

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

I agree but he's always clean shaven , no piercings or hand / neck tattoos and looks very respectable while wearing his regular working clothes ( shirt & trousers )
    Why do people pigeon hole themselves with conspicuious tattoos on face neck arms etc. Why deface your self permanently..surely a henna tattoo will have the same effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

I could not give a flying **** as long as the tattoo is not something offensive like IRA or something like that which I doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

. He started a new job and was told t shirts , polo shirts or long / short sleeved shirts were allowed to be worn.

T shirts is a very relaxed policy from management

Many places would not have their staff in t shirts

It's just a local pub, I don't see the problem with the tatoos in a place like this

rKossi wrote: »
    I could not give a flying **** as long as the tattoo is not something offensive like IRA or something like that which I doubt

No , tribal design on one arm and the right arm is a version of the second pic on this page http://www.ragamuffinsoul.com/2007/07/la-ink-update-7-the-art/
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    T shirts is a very relaxed policy from management

Many places would not have their staff in t shirts

It's just a local pub, I don't see the problem with the tatoos in a place like this

Not just any t shirts , but t shirts given by breweries and sponsors with alcohol names on them. Same applies to the polo shirts.

• Advertisement

As long as they got my bar orders right and didn't skimp me on the change then I couldn't care less if they are tattooed or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Tools who cover themselves in tattoos deserve all the flak they get, imo a bar an with visible tattoos covering his arms would lower the tone of an establishment, if I was presented with that I would consider the bar a ****hole for future reference, there's plenty of people out the who the management can hire that haven't idiotiicly branded themselves as one of the scumbag classes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Depends on the bar. I personally don't like tattoos one bit and I would be in agreement with them not being on show in the pub..unless it was a very casual place or something. I don't think tattoos look very good or 'clean cut' to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Tattoo's running way up the neck and on the face are a bit vulgar for my liking, though I wouldn't exactly expect someone with tattoo's there to work in a "high society" bar anyway, but even full sleeves on the arms wouldn't bother me as a customer at all. But then again I tend to favour dives and rock bars.

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Tools who cover themselves in tattoos deserve all the flak they get, imo a bar an with visible tattoos covering his arms would lower the tone of an establishment, if I was presented with that I would consider the bar a ****hole for future reference, there's plenty of people out the who the management can hire that haven't idiotiicly branded themselves as one of the scumbag classes

The manager personally doesn't like tattoos , both of them knew the story from day one and the manager hired him anyway because he had worked with him before so he knew he was good at his job regardless of his tattoos. Can you honestly say everyone with a tattoo is a scumbags , I think that's a harsh comment to make about someone that you don't even know.

He works in this job and staff and customers like him without knowing about his tattoos because he wears long sleeves. If you knew him in this way too then discovered he had tattoos would you change your opinion and think I used to like him but now I think he's a scumbag now even though nothing about his personality or behaviour had changed.

Tattoo's running way up the neck and on the face are a bit vulgar for my liking, though I wouldn't exactly expect someone with tattoo's there to work in a "high society" bar anyway, but even full sleeves on the arms wouldn't bother me as a customer at all. But then again I tend to favour dives and rock bars.

I presume that's because you think they wouldn't be hired in the first place because of visible tattoos.

My friend would be well able to hold his own in a '' high society '' bar , he's very well spoken and articulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

So, tell me, what kind of bars do you like going to? Places that make you feel special that you can get in?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Can I drink tattoo's? No.

As far as service goes, couldn't care less. Now, if the tattoo's were dreadful...

The manager personally doesn't like tattoos , both of them knew the story from day one and the manager hired him anyway because he had worked with him before so he knew he was good at his job regardless of his tattoos. Can you honestly say everyone with a tattoo is a scumbags , I think that's a harsh comment to make about someone that you don't even know.

He works in this job and staff and customers like him without knowing about his tattoos because he wears long sleeves. If you knew him in this way too then discovered he had tattoos would you change your opinion and think I used to like him but now I think he's a scumbag now even though nothing about his personality or behaviour had changed.

Yeah it would alter my opinion, I would make the snap judgement that tattoos = scumbag

• Advertisement

So, tell me, what kind of bars do you like going to? Places that make you feel special that you can get in?
    I wouldn't go that far, but places that make me feel comfortable, staff with tattoos or facial piercings lower the tone

Advertisement