Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

@Dayz/Arma 2 server

Options
  • 17-05-2012 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

€58 quid a month for a 40 man, located in Dublin with www.clanwarz.com

Thats who Yitsack pays for the mumble server.

BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to Non-Dev run servers!
    - IT MAY NEVER BE PASSWORDED
    - NO EXCESS KEYS OR MODS
    - NO KICKING TO MAKE ROOM FOR 'FRIENDS' OR CLANMATES
    - IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SERVER TO THE LATEST VERSION OF DAYZ

I would suggest paying 3 months upfront and seeing how it fares, BUT we may pay for a server that we cant actually play on.

Rent a server? 41 votes

I will pay (leave name)
    0% 0 votes
    i wont pay
    68% 28 votes
    BRAIIINNNSSSSS
    17% 7 votes
    Atari Jaguar...
    14% 6 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd definitely throw a few bob at it. Would be nice to be able to reserve spots, but a regular server would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Yeah I'd pay too, be nice though to have more control if it though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

What's the point in paying for a server that you may not get to play ?

You could "restart" the server if there were quite a few people who wanted to join :)
    I've also seen a few servers that had been passworded!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fawkon

Ponster wrote: »
    exactly... +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Correct, i agree with this.

Personally i got Arma 2 on day 1 and i am astonished at how many people are playing it. I dont know if this "fad" will continue with Arma. Dayz isnt a mod tho its a full blown gaming idea thats never been done before......just uses the Arma 2 Engine.

People are flocking to it and rightly so its simply an amazing idea.

2nd option 55 for a 50 man in germany would have IR1 as the name.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You could "restart" the server if there were quite a few people who wanted to join :)
    I've also seen a few servers that had been passworded!

I suppose you could. There's a thread on the official forums for server management with a little backlash from the community against the rules in place.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1429

I think we should hold off until there's a whitelist system in place or reserved slots.

I suppose you could. There's a thread on the official forums for server management with a little backlash from the community against the rules in place.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1429

I think we should hold off until there's a whitelist system in place or reserved slots.

There is a way of doing a whitelist, frowned upon by dayz but imo if someone pays for a server they are quite entitled to play on it whenever they feel like it.

I will go with the majority, so if we got one for a 1 month i just dividing the amount required by the the amount who vote yes. The Olut servers are decent if you can get onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Yeah put me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I could put something in every month.
    But as others have said, its likely going to be exactly like every other server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It may be an idea to set the time to GMT-6 or something, so it's bright on the server in the evenings...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭longwhitecross+

I could help with that price.

Im of two minds with the rules.

I like the fact it leaves it in no state that itd get a reputation that would mean randoms won't join, and lets face it it'd need randoms to keep it going and interesting... but then if i'm stuck waiting why am I paying for it?

Tho even still i think having one would win out, if only that it'd be a common places for the boards fellas.

I could help with that price.

Im of two minds with the rules.

I like the fact it leaves it in no state that itd get a reputation that would mean randoms won't join, and lets face it it'd need randoms to keep it going and interesting... but then if i'm stuck waiting why am I paying for it?

Tho even still i think having one would win out, if only that it'd be a common places for the boards fellas.

yeah uhhh the bottom line is would you pay for a server you cant get on.

think i was pretty clear about that in the 1st post :)

Kicking of Players for Clan members
    Please note: this post is meant for the 5% of server owners who are being dicks, not the 95% who are awesome.

Kicking of Players for Clan members:

This has been requested. While we do want to have some "reserved slots" this effectively requires either a lot of scripting or changes to the base game code.

It is something that is being worked on but it is not finished

Originally we trialed allowing servers to kick out players who had either donated money or were clan members of the owner, to allow space for someone else. Abuse of this became RAMPANT.

Server owners need to start wising up. We are only processing about 20 to 30% of server requests for hosting due to the massive volume of offers. The clan servers need to realize they cannot just do whatever they feel like because their actions affect the rest of the game and the servers.

Think about it, if we let server owners do this, what is stopping them from kicking someone who just killed them? What is to stop them kicking people for arbitrary reasons? Who polices this? The policy is in place because it makes sense.

We've been pretty lenient so far, but it is causing us a lot of work to deal with these people being difficult and it has delayed development. Please try and think how hard our job is to balance everything, and realize that if your clan/group is asking for exceptions then there are hundreds of other people probably asking too. Also realize that we have been burned several times, resulting in the need for costly and time consuming backups to be restored.

The current rules weren't picked out of nowhere, we know they aren't perfect. We're just trying to make the best of the situation and keep things going.

Apparently it's still being worked on... good to see they are looking at it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I have no problem currently to support a server and donating some money towards it, even if at the current time we cannot white list players etc. That's no problem to me as I know that there is still alot of development ongoing and issues with databases and servers.

However in the future when the mod get's more stability, better databases and more master servers etc are in place, if we cannot still have freedom to modify our server to allow whitelisting or essentially unable to allow reserved slots for our own members then I wouldn't be willing to support that further.

However it looks like the dev is saying that this will be ok but will take time so hopefully so and we can only see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I was ready to get a server going but the fact that I may never get onto the bloody thing put me off. Still looking at maybe getting one going though once I get my bloody DSL sorted and I can actually play the game again!

Ok I can get a server going for this in Ireland for say 40 slots but it will cost about €90 a month to host it in Ireland, anyone else want to share the cost?

Villain wrote: »
    Ok I can get a server going for this in Ireland for say 40 slots but it will cost about €90 a month to host it in Ireland, anyone else want to share the cost?

Was the OP getting one for €58 a month for a 40 man :confused:

€55 for 50 is the best price i got (german)
    €58 for 40 (clanwarz)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

I'd be willing to throw some money at this. Haven't managed to hook up with anyone in-game yet but will be hopefully on it a good bit over the next couple of nights!! :)

• Advertisement

I was talking about an Irish Server hosted in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Lads, I've exams the week after next, and haven't installed it yet. Once my exams are done. June 2nd. My birthday, my present to myself is to install this and get involved. At that point, I'd be happy to share the cost.

...but I'd be a lot happier if you could have 8-10 reserved slots or priority for people who are actually paying.

Yeah, if we only could reserve 10 spots that would be good enough even.
    The other 30 spaces could just go to any random players.

I was talking about an Irish Server hosted in Ireland.

Who is it with? i couldnt find anyone hosting servers in ireland.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Who is it with? i couldnt find anyone hosting servers in ireland.

Its just a cloud server from an Irish provider, the DayZ admins have confirmed Web edition will work so its just a 4 core server with with enough space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Also throwing out. If alot more people are going to get involved (already nearly 40 people on the Dayz group) maybe we can expand the server capacity even more? (maybe 50 or 60?). I know not everyone will pay, but id a good chunk of people will contribute and will only cost a small bit more for extra space.

Yea 50 or 60 would be good but that will involve a higher spec obviously, with the server I want to use its pretty easy to upgrade to more power.

So OP are you going to get one going or will I? I can get the server OS sorted in about 1 hour from order

So, what would it be, like 10euro each a month?

If we can get 20 people €5 a person a month would be enough

• Advertisement

If we can get 20 people €5 a person a month would be enough

From experience it will be 5 or 6 paying 10 each :D

Is your server remote desktop or control panel managed? Would prefer irish tbh and if it has Remote well its a much better offerring.

Windows 2008 is best for Arma servers.

Advertisement