Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-populated Licence renewal forms announced.

Options
  • 26-04-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭

We mentioned this a while ago as one of the things the FCP managed to have some influence on, but it hadn't been confirmed. Now it has. By email just now:
    To All concerned,

Please find attached copy of the new Firearm Certificate Renewal Form (FCR). This form has been finalised to coincide with the first renewals of firearm certificates which will commence on 1st August 2012. We currently have 220,000 3 year firearm certificates issued since the introduction of the new legislation on 1st August 2009. The majority of these renewals will be due in 2013 as all old 1 year certificates were extended into 2010.

Each current holder of a firearm certificate will recieve a PRE POPULATED version of this form in the post approx 3 months before their current certificate expires. All of their details, including the firearm, referees, G.P, land etc will be detailed on the form. As you can see, corresponding boxes are included to facilitate any changes for example in referees, doctor etc. The firearm owner can fill in the changes, if any, and when the form is signed it shall then be returned to the local Station for forwarding to the relevant Superintendent (or Chief Superintendent if a restricted firearm application). If there are no changes, the applicant simply signs the renewal form and brings the FCR form to his/her Garda Station for processing by An Garda Síochána.

As you can see, this is a much simpler process for firearm owners. When signed off and granted by the Superintendent, then as before, the applicant receives a Grant Notice Letter in the post and when paid will recieve his new 3 year certificate. The current fee structure will not change for the renewals of firearm certificates. It is understood that the hunting endorsement issue will be addressed by the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.

It would be appreciated if you could advise your members of the renewal processes by whatever means available. Information will be placed on the Garda Website www.garda.ie but I appreciate that not all of your members will have access to the internet. Please note that only the PRE POPULATED FCR form will be acceptable to An Garda Síochána and that all amendments are correct prior to returning the FCR to the Garda Station. Finally, the FCR is only used for renewals of firearm certificates. Any new application or substitution for a firearm certificate shall continue to be made on the recently amended FCA1 application form.

Please bring to the attention of all your members. If I have omitted anybody by mistake, please forward on for their information.

Paul Greene Sgt,
    Firearms Policy Unit,
    Garda H.Q,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Nice one they managed to do something right!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Brilliant! Cheers for the good news Sparks! Had heard it alluded to but I'm very glad to hear this now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Pre-populated form
    No price increase
    Sorting the hunting endorsement

Where do I send my thanks, credit where it's due, that's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Vegeta wrote: »
    Pre-populated form
    No price increase
    Sorting the hunting endorsement

Where do I send my thanks, credit where it's due, that's good news.

The Firearms Consultation Panel (I think it came out of a conversation between the SSAI rep and the FPU rep, but I don't know that for sure). But I'd thank the FPU as well mind you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭clivej

YIPPEE :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

is it me or does it seem a bit silly sending out a form through the post with all your details on it, and what firearms you have, what if it gets lost,
    how will this new form speed things up, do they still not have to go through the same process as before, can someone explain what i'm missing as going by the rest of the responses its good news :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

yog1 wrote: »
    is it me or does it seem a bit silly sending out a form through the post with all your details on it, and what firearms you have, what if it gets lost,
    how will this new form speed things up, do they still not have to go through the same process as before, can someone explain what i'm missing as going by the rest of the responses its good news :confused:

The form will be pretty much filled in. All you will have to do is read it, decide if the details are still correct, fill in the odd blank box that needs to be ticked, and then sign it and return it to the Gardai. It will save us and the Gardai a lot of time. We won't have to fill in all the details and the Gardai don't have to type the full form into the Pulse system.

It also means that we don't have to go look for farmer's permissions, character references etc etc again.

Pretty much every other form is sent by post, eg. tax credits, p60, payslips, medical card, bank statements, gun licence etc etc and there is rarely a problem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Good to see this has come to frutition;) and a step in the bright direction alright.Kudos and thanks to both sides on this who hammerd this,for once sensible bit of paperwork out.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

That's a brilliant idea makes it simple and user friendly for people but if you wanted to increase your ammo amount where do right write it in on the form or do you write a letter and send it in with the application?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

‘GREAT NEWS’ Yes I am shouting, shouting for joy. Not only will this will put the 'rumour mill’ off line for a while but on a more serious note this will be very beneficial for individuals dealing with ‘part time’ Garda Stations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Hopefully this will speed the whole process up, at the moment the time waiting on your license is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Sounds like a big move in the right direction. Fair play to everyone involved. One point though, I assume the application will need to be acompanied by newly signed permission letters from farmers or evidence of gun club / range membership as per normal. I read in an earlier post that they may not be needed, but I cant imagine that they wont be required.

I don't think they would be required Mauser, it's not an application, it's a renewal. The permissions would be assumed to still be valid; if that's changed and you don't tell the AGS, the law says it's your neck, not theirs. And if the membership changed, the law puts the onus on the secretary of the club to notify the AGS as well as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote: »
    I don't think they would be required Mauser, it's not an application, it's a renewal.

Cool I didn't see the significance of that at first glance. So It's officially a renewal and not a fresh application?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Cool I didn't see the significance of that at first glance. So It's officially a renewal and not a fresh application?

Well, that email came directly from the Firearms Policy Unit, so I'd say yes.

(And as an aside, I think that it's neat that boards.ie is now being officially sent these things, instead of getting them as a side thought)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

hey there lads just seen this tat gaurds sending out renewel forms with all our data on them from before so all we do is sign it at the bottom to say there has nothing changed i was very happy when read this
    or maybe this is old neews so sorry if it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Thread in shooting already but your right its great news!

From the Garda web page on Firearms Certificates:
    Message For All Firearm Certificate Holders

The first renewals of three (3) year firearm certificates will commence on 1st August 2012. In excess of 220,000 (3) year firearm certificates have been issued since the introduction of the new firearms legislation on 1st August 2009. The majority of these renewals will take place at the latter end of 2012 and throughout 2013 and on into 2014 etc.

Each current holder of a firearm certificate (with the exception of a Firearm Training Certificate) will receive a PRE POPULATED version of the new Firearms Renewal Form (FCR) in the post approx 3 months prior to the expiry of their current certificate. All details relevant to the current firearm certificate, including the firearm, referees, G.P, land etc will be detailed on the renewal form. Corresponding boxes will be included to facilitate any changes for example a change of referee, doctor etc. The firearm owner can fill in the changes on the renewal form, if any, and when the form is signed it shall then be returned to the local Station for consideration by the relevant Superintendent (or Chief Superintendent if a restricted firearm application). If there are no changes, the applicant simply signs the renewal form and brings the FCR form to his/her Garda Station for processing by An Garda Síochána.

It is hoped that the renewal system will be a much simpler process than the original application phase that followed the commencement of the new firearms legislation on 1st August 2009. When a decision is made to grant the renewal by the Superintendent (or Chief Superintendent), the applicant will receive a Grant Notice Letter in the post (as is currently the case with a new application) and when paid will then recieve his/her new 3 year certificate by post. The current fee structure will not change for the renewals of firearm certificates.

Please note that only the PRE POPULATED FCR form will be acceptable to An Garda Síochána when renewing a firearm certificate and each application for renewal must be accurately completed prior to returning the FCR to the Garda Station. Finally, the Firearms Renewal Form (FCR) is only used for renewals of firearm certificates. Any new application or substitution for a firearm certificate shall continue to be made on the recently amended FCA1 application form.

If a situation arises where a firearm certificate holder does not receive a pre populated Firearms Renewal Form (FCR) prior to the expiry of their current certificate, please immediately contact your local Garda Station. Failure to do so may result in an individual being in possession of an unlicensed firearm. The co-operation of all firearm certificate holders will be essential in ensuring that firearm certificate renewals are properly managed and processed. An Garda Síochána wishes to thank all firearm owners in advance for their co-operation in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

mods please feel free to move

well lads the time is nearly here again for firearm renewels i just seen this thaught id share it as i was wondering this my self as my local firearm officer did not know what way it was going to go so i did my own research and this is what i came up with,
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=4144
    apologies if this has already been said in here lads

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

my gun license is out in date on the second week of September when should i be getting this form or should i be after getting it already?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Are you sure about the date?

The first "batch" (of which i was also a part) back in 2009 were submitted on/after Sept 16 IIRC, and were not processed/issued until October. There was a "false start" when the new licensing system kicked in.

I submitted my FCA1's in 2009 at the end of July, but never received my first license until October. I still have not received some of my renewals, and one is due in October, but it is just within the 3 month time frame.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Mine expires 31/10/12 so I should have my forms em, now........

I don't, why doesn't that surprise me. Will have to ring the cops I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

johngalway wrote: »

what place do you ring about it?

Conchurl wrote: »
    what place do you ring about it?

Not sure, I will irritate my local Garda tomorrow and see what he says back :D

Here we go:
    If a situation arises where a firearm certificate holder does not receive a pre populated Firearms Renewal Form (FCR) prior to the expiry of their current certificate, please immediately contact your local Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Was onto the FPU on this yesterday,as mine run out just around the time for me annual pilgrimage to Hungary for Phessies:eek:.
    They said the first batch should issue within the next 7/10 days.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    They said the first batch should issue within the next 7/10 days.

To bet the farm or not :D

Three years to get things in order and already for the 31/10/12 crowd their three months will be eaten into.

To bet the farm or not :D

I should have, my three pre populated forms arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I should have, my three pre populated forms arrived today.

Oh ye of little faith

Vizzy wrote: »
    Oh ye of little faith

Or much experience :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I received 2 today. Interestingly they no longer have Firearms dept on the envelope.
    Good to see that the PTB are copping on a small bit with regards to their own security protocol.

Advertisement