Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewal of firearms licence

Options
  • 26-03-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

HI,
    Could you please tell me has anyone renewed there 3yr firearms licence yet??. If so how is this done??.

1. Do i get a renewal reminder form in post from garda to renew same again for 3yrs??

2. Our do i have to fill out the FCA1 form 9pages all over again??

Thanks!

Kill Joy

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No-one yet.

I was in the first batch of re-applications in 2009. This means my licenses expire this year around Sept/Oct. Meaning i must have my FCA1's in 3 months prior to the expiry of the first license. I say first because i have gotten a couple of new licenses since 2009, and they expire in 2013.

As to reminder. I'm not sure. This is the first time the new 3 year licenses expire so it's all new ground. One thing to point out though is these are NOT renewals. There is a section for you to declare you have been licensed on the firearm previously and while it may seem a renewal you infact have to re-apply every 3 years for your firearms.

Yes you will have to use the 9 page FCA1, unless they change it within the next couple of months which i cannot see happening as they have already "updated" the FCA1 in the last few weeks.

If the Gardai do issue reminder letters i would hope they are sent in June (at the latest) to allow us the 3 months needed to process the application(s). So basically it's a "wait and see". However i personally will be submitting applications no later than the end of June whether a reminder has been recevied or not to ensure i am within the time frame.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Do you think they would do the same as the 'old' licenses where they sent out a letter and you went and paid it in the station except this time it will be done through the post office and your new/renewed license sent out?

dev110 wrote: »
    ........ and your new/renewed license sent out?
    The thing to remember, as said above, is these are not renewals.

While i have no doubt that the majority will simply be granted their license again you are infact re-applying for the firearms you possess. This is why the applications must be sunbmitted 3 months prior. One reason is because this is the timeframe the Gardai have to process it, but also your current licenses will still be in effect meaning you do not have to surrender the firearms while awaiting word on your new applciations.

As to them sending out reminders well i really have no idea. They could, and it would save alot of grief with lads forgetting, re=applying late, having to store guns because of delays, etc. IOW be pro-active rather than trying to deal with the mess that can result.

Fact is we have had these new licenses for over three years now. There is a great amount of info here on how to fill out the forms, timeframes, how to, etc. However this first re-applciation is new ground. So if you do not get any reminder DON'T WAIT. Send in your applciations 3 months (miniumum) before the expiry date of your licenses.

Also make sure you do the appropriate license. By that i mean do not re-apply for all licenses if only some need done. By that i mean i have 6 licenses. 2 are "original" from 2009, 2 are subs, but carry on from the original license in 2009. All 4 of these need re-applied this year. However i got two new licenses in 2010, and they expire in March of 2013. So i would apply for these iby no later than November 2012.

Hope that makes sense.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Do you know why we have to reapply instead of just renew?

It would make life easier on us and them if they issued a new form where we just fill in our Name, Address, Cert No., etc

I was lucky as I got a year extension on my licenses when the new system came in so hopefully all the glitches are cleared up by the time I have to go through the process next year.

dev110 wrote: »
    Do you know why we have to reapply instead of just renew?.
    The FCA1 is an application form, not a renewal. Plus every 3 years when your license expires you must re-apply, and show that you still have a "good reason" for retaining/wanting the firearms you have.

For example if you have an F-Class rifle. For 2.5 years you shot targets. Then through whatever personal issue you can no longer shoot F-Class, and you do not renew your membership to the range then in the eyes of An Gardai you have no reason for having an F-Class target rifle. Also if you were not into deer stalking then you canot even claim the rifle is for this.

So when you re-apply and cannot provide a good reason for having the rifle An Gardai can revoke the license or in the case of re-applications simply refuse to issue the new license for lack of good reason.

The same applies to all firearms for various reasons. It is also the reason all ranges are required to keep up to date records of members that renew their membership each year. If you get a license, through membership of a range, for target shooting with a rifle, and do not attned the range then you have no reason for having the rifle.

Remember the application asks for the reason for wanting the firearm/license. If this reason no longer exists then you may provide another reason. If you cannot provide another reason then as said above you have no need for the firearm in the eys of the law/Gardai, and the license can be refused/revoked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

So does that mean people will have to go re-ask farmers for signatures and wait for their deer licences to come before they can re-apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kill Joy

Thanks for replys. It would make alot of sence for the Garda to just send out reminder renewal form and sumit that and fill out same and pay at post office. Sure they have your FCA1 form on file and all the details on pulse. Having to sumit a new FCA1 all over again with new photos again at more expence dont make sence??. If they made up a Reminder/Renewal form a short version of the FCA1 no need for photos again, just fill in your details and firearms details and numbers sure they have the rest on file. The way it is set up to me now when i renew this year for my deer rifle i will have to wait for the NPWS deer licence and submit that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

yes this is all true lads sadly no more renewels any more as within the three years you have a falliing out with the farmer or trouble with the gardai as well your licence will be gone as well also you will have to reapply every three year there lad as well as have to go to mr famrer get all your permission as well as deer permission as well but i think just give your previous deer hunting licence from there last year but you will have to get your deer permission i was told ok lads best of luck filling out the 9 page forms all over agin there lads

garv123 wrote: »
    So does that mean people will have to go re-ask farmers for signatures........
    Yes.
    garv123 wrote:
    and wait for their deer licences to come before they can re-apply?
    Kill Joy wrote: »
    ............ when i renew this year for my deer rifle i will have to wait for the NPWS deer licence and submit that also.
    Don't forget lads. Your NPWS deer license runs from year to year (September 1st current year - August 31st the following year). They do not end in February. It's just that the deer are out of season, but your license stays valid until the new one is issued. So this ............;
    ......... but i think just give your previous deer hunting licence from there last year ...........
    ......... is spot on. If your re-application falls between seasons you provide the details of your current deer license. If it falls during the current season then you provide the details of that license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I changed my stalking rifle between seasons before. I gave them a photocopy of my current license and a photocopy of the application for next season's license filled in and signed. Give them as much info as you can and the licensing will likely be quicker and easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Kill Joy wrote: »
    Thanks for replys. It would make alot of sence for the Garda to just send out reminder renewal form and sumit that and fill out same and pay at post office. Sure they have your FCA1 form on file and all the details on pulse. Having to sumit a new FCA1 all over again with new photos again at more expence dont make sence??. If they made up a Reminder/Renewal form a short version of the FCA1 no need for photos again, just fill in your details and firearms details and numbers sure they have the rest on file.
    As I understood it, that's precisely what the AGS want to do with renewals and we might see them turning up this year - renewal forms get populated with data from PULSE, sent out to you in the post, you take it to the An Post office and pay the fee and that's it done and dusted.
    (And people think the FCP got nothing done...)

Now, back to nappy changes...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sparks wrote: »
    Now, back to nappy changes...
    or another form of shít fight.:D

This kind is slightly less whiny and infinitely cuter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

Might be relevant to a few lads here ,in the process of subbing a shotgun at the present got a phone call the week-end gone to resign a NEW amended FCA-1 from March 2012,minor changes to the form but anyone changing or subbing make sure you use FCA-1 amended March 2012 otherwise expect a call to resend relevant forms.The FO didn't know about the changes & I would respect the man as very knowledgeable on Firearms Licencing.Form can be downloaded on Garda website .So heads up everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

Constab2 wrote: »
    Might be relevant to a few lads here ,in the process of subbing a shotgun at the present got a phone call the week-end gone to resign a NEW amended FCA-1 from March 2012,minor changes to the form but anyone changing or subbing make sure you use FCA-1 amended March 2012 otherwise expect a call to resend relevant forms.The FO didn't know about the changes & I would respect the man as very knowledgeable on Firearms Licencing.Form can be downloaded on Garda website .So heads up everybody.

I had to do the very same thing this evening. Had to resign a few forms but no major hassle.

Advertisement