Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New website Design & Development Costs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

I cant help with a quote but one bit of advice when considering someone to design a website for you check out sites they have already done and make sure they are capable of giving you what you want. There are a lot of people/companies doing websites after a few days of a course but arent capable of much more that filling in a few templates.

The site you linked has a lot in it and is a lot more than a typical "€500 job"
    like everything you get what you pay for, once the company can do it that is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

looks like a large brouchure site Any ecommerce on it I cannot find any

the design looks good, as in really good, As in the designer seems really know what they are about they have alot of parts to it and it all comes together really well

that could easily be a €10k plus site

70+ pages, well laid out, nice colours etc, alot of design and layout time gone into it let alone the actual uploading of the content. (weeks of work id imagine)
    Cant see any e commerce on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

probably talking about 800euro theres about 70+ pages

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

tramoreman wrote: »

A lot there - maybe even €815-820's worth...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

sheesh wrote: »
    looks like a large brouchure site Any ecommerce on it I cannot find any

No eCommerce, but would need a CMS that can handle products of some kind.

Having done some similar sites in the past, this would easily fall into the €10k+ region, could easily double that depending on how involved the bespoke work is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There's probably much truth to 'you get what yoyu pay for' but prices ranging from € 500.00 to € 10k or even € 20k is ridiculous. So far this is clearly revealing that it proves the point it pays to shop around. Not just for fair value but to find somebody who might confidently assure you that he/she knows what they're talking about?:confused:

What would you pay then? I'm just basing my prices on my experience, I work with plenty of clients too. then again, we provide a full software and support suite, not a mickey mouse drupal install so you might find some monkeys to pay peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 redhills

We recently did a survey on this very topic, big range of prices are the norm, this might give you a steer: http://www.redhills.ie/2012/03/06/breakdown-of-web-survey-results/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Trojan wrote: »
    A lot there - maybe even €815-820's worth...

Easy now

OP, I'd second the 10k plus estimate, I'd say closer to 15k than 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

So what do you think it's worth OP?

€200? €350? €499?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I have no idea what digit is missing from this estimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

interesting survey results.

You'd really need to see the correlation between cost and what was asked for.

did some research on web design prices 1 or 2 years ago thats what it costs why dont you put up the spec or an example spec what ever the case may be. prices range for 70 pages range from 800euros - 10649euros

cheapest abroad is 2750euros

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

did some research on web design prices 1 or 2 years ago thats what it costs why dont you put up the spec or an example spec what ever the case may be. prices range for 70 pages range from 800euros - 10649euros

Ok. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

There's probably much truth to 'you get what yoyu pay for' but prices ranging from € 500.00 to € 10k or even € 20k is ridiculous. So far this is clearly revealing that it proves the point it pays to shop around. Not just for fair value but to find somebody who might confidently assure you that he/she knows what they're talking about?:confused:

Who said €500? This is clearly not a €500 job...
    You're not likely to stay under 10k IMO unless you find a really good freelancer who can cover everything from site planning/UX through design to CMS coding and is a very quick worker; but it would be extreme value for money if you were successful in finding such a person.

Giblet wrote: »
    What would you pay then? I'm just basing my prices on my experience, I work with plenty of clients too. then again, we provide a full software and support suite, not a mickey mouse drupal install so you might find some monkeys to pay peanuts.

If I were a web developer/designer and was asked to provide a quote for a specific site, I think I would be able to quote within a narrower range of € 10k +/- 100%. Someone else has already quoted €20k for Drupal platform and € 15k for Wordpress, which according to your logic would suggest there are plenty of Mickey Mouse characters out there.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    So what do you think it's worth OP?

€200? €350? €499?

As you haven't/unable to make any meaningful contribution, I'd prefer to ignore your childish remark.

• Advertisement

Sorry but I would prefer to focus on Irish based service providers.

mhge wrote: »
    Who said €500? This is clearly not a €500 job...
    You're not likely to stay under 10k IMO unless you find a really good freelancer who can cover everything from site planning/UX through design to CMS coding and is a very quick worker; but it would be extreme value for money if you were successful in finding such a person.

It was my post that included the €500, but the price was quoted out of context.

TPM wrote: »
    I cant help with a quote but one bit of advice when considering someone to design a website for you check out sites they have already done and make sure they are capable of giving you what you want. There are a lot of people/companies doing websites after a few days of a course but arent capable of much more that filling in a few templates.

The site you linked has a lot in it and is a lot more than a typical "€500 job"
    like everything you get what you pay for, once the company can do it that is

If I were a web developer/designer and was asked to provide a quote for a specific site, I think I would be able to quote within a narrower range of € 10k +/- 100%.

Really? Well I am one, and It's 10K + Extra for bespoke work (A lot of bespoke work would require a lot of money obviously). Not +/- anything. (especially not -). Maybe if you had a better spec, I could help you better, but I would charge you for consultancy. Maybe you should shoot an email off to Bord Na Mona and ask how much they paid.

I'd be more than happy to let you talk to our biz guy if you are interested.

Someone else has already quoted €20k for Drupal platform and € 15k for Wordpress, which according to your logic would suggest there are plenty of Mickey Mouse characters out there.
    My logic is sound then!

what is the website for
    if you have a budget why dont you put it up

Giblet wrote: »
    Really? Well I am one, and It's 10K + Extra for bespoke work (A lot of bespoke work would require a lot of money obviously). Not +/- anything. (especially not -). Maybe if you had a better spec, I could help you better, but I would charge you for consultancy. Maybe you should shoot an email off to Bord Na Mona and ask how much they paid.

I'd be more than happy to let you talk to our biz guy if you are interested.

My logic is sound then!

Maybe it would be better that quotes are left to the business end of the operation? I'm also involved in a design related discipline, and it would lack credibility to say to a client, well a clearly quantifiable piece of work would cost €10k - € 30k. A ridiculous range.

From my own research plenty of criticism around Drupal and many offering plenty of Wordpress for < € 15k.

I had expected it to be > € 5k but anyone saying € 20k well they're living in a different world, eg Semi-States = Fee x 2. Typical of the idiotic thinking that's are out there.

If you want to pm a weblink I'll look at your portfolio before deciding what direction to go.

what is the website for

and the relevance is...?:confused:

Budget is realistic for a professional input.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

it would lack credibility to say to a client, well a clearly quantifiable piece of work would cost €10k - € 30k.
    You have not shown a clearly quantifiable piece of work. You've shown a website with no idea of what's needed on the backend. You might as well show someone a picture of a car and ask how much it would cost to buy it, with no idea of whether there's an engine inside

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    You have not shown a clearly quantifiable piece of work. You've shown a website with no idea of what's needed on the backend. You might as well show someone a picture of a car and ask how much it would cost to buy it, with no idea of whether there's an engine inside

Exactly. If you were to ask for a custom SAP integration for products or content, how much extra do you think that would cost? The spec isn't clear, any costs are estimates, and they vary wildly due to my knowledge that while they might look similar, one site might sit unmolested for years, while another has daily automated updates and requires integration with some custom interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

well a clearly quantifiable piece of work would cost €10k - € 30k. A ridiculous range.

Nope, not easily quantifiable at all.

Costs for design and images could vary wildly. A few examples:
    • cost of photos and other rights-based items could vary depending on how and who took them or if they existed before the site, what kind of licencing is required.
    • the design could be based on existing print designs and exisiting branding or done up from scratch or anything in between.
    • external versus internal developments of items.
    • semi-state sites can have huge overheads when it comes to things like getting sign offs, excessive design input/design by committee, revsions, re-revisions, unlike the kind of operation we worked together in, many years ago, where we mainly just rolled up our sleeves and got the sh1t done, sometimes with a quick nod from Paddy or Jess.
    • more stuff like training, documentation and so on.

Without any info on the likes of the above, the estimate range is huge from maybe as low as 5k to as high as 40k. Just can't tell without the info.

• Advertisement

and the relevance is...?:confused:

Budget is realistic for a professional input.

you want people to quote for the job but you wont tell them whats it for no one will be prepared to take it on unless you give a proper design brief you need to specify the brief

is this a redesign of you web site or a brand new one

Advertisement