Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardattin 200 - 01/04/2012

Options
  • 13-03-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Details of the next 200k audax which will follow rottenhat's Virginia 300 and precede the Fleche...
    Organiser: Paul O’Donoghue

Address: 12 Tinnapark, Kilpedder, Co. Wicklow

Entry Fee: €5 (download Event Entry Form). CI license required.

Start Point: Bray Wheelers Clubhouse, Bray, Co Wicklow

Start Time: 8am, Sunday 1st April 2012

Closing date for entries: Thursday, 29th March. (No entries on the line)

Facilities: Parking available at start. All controls will be manned. Soup and sandwiches in Ardattin Inn for approx. €6.
    Showers available at finish line.

CI one day license available at start for €1.

The return route will change slightly from last year's to take people into NewtownMountkennedy avoiding the N11 which will make the finish harder but a bit more pleasant. Those details will need to be firmed up a bit and will be passed on to entrants nearer the time.

Map of last year's route

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Am very tempted to attempt this.

Haven't done any more than 115km so far this year though.

does the usual "rule" of being able to complete your total weekly distance in a single spin hold true for something like this?

Cue another "would I be fit for it question"!

What do you audaxers think?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

G rock wrote: »

does the usual "rule" of being able to complete your total weekly distance in a single spin hold true for something like this?

Generally speaking I reckon that for an "event" most people can double what they're used to without too much trouble. The Ardattin is one of the flattest Audax events on the calendar, and usually gets a good entry. There will probably be a group you can tag onto, which makes life easier. Make sure you take in enough fluids and grub and you should be fine. Go for it ! LG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Double might be generous - I'd usually say half as much again as you're comfortable doing - but you've got a couple of weeks to get a few more miles in the legs and as LastGasp says, it's fairly flat. By Wicklow standards anyway. The biggest problem is always resisting the temptation to stuff your face at the Ardattin Inn...every year I find myself waddling out of there and dying on the way back to Shillelagh.

Previous threads - 2011, 2010 and 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

You will be fine.

I did 209km at the w/e having done at most 100km in the 6 months preceding.
    In the two weeks before the event I was suffering from a chest infection and ended up on a cocktail of steroids and antibiotics. I got around just fine.

A few things help
    If the weather is good it will be easier.
    If you are in a suitable bunch it will be easier than being on your own or with a very small bunch.
    If you don't hammer around, it will be easier.

200km as a one off for someone that is doing 115km is very achievable.

Pending the granting of a weekend pass, and potential logistics, I'm gonna sign up. Once signed up I'm committed to it!

Like rottenhat said,i have two more weekends to get long long rides done. If I get a chance to do a 150 or so beforehand I'll feel a bit more positive about being able to complete it.

Tentatively looking forward to it, and I hope I get the opportunity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i think im going to do this. Im an audax virgin. Is it just like a longer, more relaxed sportf? hopefully the weather will be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

lennymc wrote: »
    i think im going to do this. Im an audax virgin. Is it just like a longer, more relaxed sportf? hopefully the weather will be nice.

I think the link on the Audax Ireland website sums it up best...

Audax is non-competitive and we actively promote a sociable, inclusive, co-operative atmosphere on the rides. To match the minimum average pace, there is a maximum average pace (to discourage racing) and finishing times are not published – all finishers are considered equal and it’s widely recognised that the achievement is all the greater for those who struggled to finish within the time limit. In general, audax tends to attract independent-minded, experienced cyclists who enjoy long hours in the saddle.

http://www.audaxireland.org/audax/

lennymc wrote: »
    In addition to other comments there a few other aspects which differ from Sportives. Much smaller numbers - the Ardattin might have 60 to 70 riders, some longer 300's etc might only have 10 to 20 taking part. Each rider gets a route sheet and "Brevet" card, indicating obligatory Control points at a few places on the route. These may be manned, when someone will sign your card to confirm you were there (and feed you if you're lucky), or otherwise you can just pick up a shop receipt, ATM receipt etc. Assuming you complete the route you have an option to order a medal (for an extra fiver) for the event which is issued by the ACP in Paris who govern Audax worldwide. The medals are in a series with a different one for 200, 300, 400, 600km events, and an additional one for 1 of each distance, which makes up a Super Randonneur Series. The medals are really very nice, and much better quality than anything you would get at a Sportive in Ireland. I just have to decide what to do with them all now ! The designs change after each Paris Brest Paris (every 4 years) so this year is the start of a new design.

So i think I have four people for this - me, colm_gti and two other guys. Do i just send an email to Paul, at the address below, and send off the form?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

One entry form per rider, plus the entry fee (€5), to Paul, by the 29th. If you want lunch at the Ardattin Inn (usually €6), you pay that on the day. See you there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

Just a reminder that entries for this event close this Thursday 29th. There'll be no entries on the line.

imposting my entry today. Due to being sick i didnt get a chance to post it at the weekend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

In.

Likewise.

Posted last night. Any takers on towing me home?

bit nervous about it!

ive been sick since last saturday and still havent sent my entry off yet. Havent eaten properly since last saturday, and havent been on the bike either, so i think im unfortunately going to have to give this a miss. Its a long way home to Drogheda if i cant complete it.

a brilliant day out on the bike: great route, great organisation and great company!

a fantastic introduction to the world of audax, although i reckon you wouldn't be as well looked after on any others!

great to meet planet x, lastgasp, rottenhat.

got in just under 7hr 20mins, lucky with the weather too

a brilliant day out on the bike: great route, great organisation and great company!

a fantastic introduction to the world of audax, although i reckon you wouldn't be as well looked after on any others!

yes indeed, very nice day out, thanks to Paul, Clare, John and David for looking after us all so well. Good to meet you too G rock, I don't know what you were worrying about, you were flying along no bother all day !
    Cheers, LG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

great day out - missed you guys and the main bunch after arriving a bit late, but no biggie. +1 on the hospitality from Paul, Claire, John and David...cant remember being as well looked after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

+1 on the above comments but very surprised to see one guy do this in a pair of jeans. Thought initially he was someone on the way to the shops the bunch happened to pick up but then saw him at the first control and later at the finish and he was powering along. Might have a sore behind tomorrow if the crotch of the jeans aren't worn away, I've had to stop my short commute in my jeans as I've worn away the crotch of 3 pairs to much annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

yeah, heard that. That had to be a uncomfortable after a while..

• Advertisement

Was that actual "moving time" on the bike?
    I clocked 8:41 on my stopwatch, leaving the clubhouse to returning to clubhouse.

Planet X wrote: »

Was that actual "moving time" on the bike?
    I clocked 8:41 on my stopwatch, leaving the clubhouse to returning to clubhouse.

Yeah definitely moving time!

don't have stopwatch on the bike computer. probably didn't phrase that correctly yesterday

PX & G rock.

416294_419824834697796_100000108494519_1791708_882078694_o.jpg

Advertisement