Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardattin 200, 13/3/2011

Options
  • 01-03-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

Next up on the audax calendar, the Ardattin 200, a nice easy one with the customary top quality support on a Paul O'Donoghue event. Start from Bray, down the coast road to Brittas Bay, then across the flatter bits of south Wicklow to Carnew and Ardattin, stuff yourself at the Ardattin Inn and waddle home through Shillelagh, Rathdrum etc.

More details including map, entry form etc. on the Audax Ireland website.

I will be doing this one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Thought this was on a Sunday. Being on a Saturday means happy days!

EDIT: it is on a Sunday, not so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

I thought this was on the 26th. Wont be able to do as im away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

No, the 26th is the Pink Elephant, down in Cork (also quite a pleasant 200, but a little tougher than the Ardattin).

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭2x4

Website says Saturday 13 March. Can you clarify the date?

The 13th is correct, I'll change it on the website (creeps away quietly to hide embarrassment)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭2x4

Thanks for that. Paul O'Donoghue's Ardattin 200 has to be the best value event on the calendar. The feed stops, friendliness and all round hospitality are second to none. You also have the satisfaction of knowing you have a "handy" 200 done early in the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm in for this one as well, should be a nice spin, also +1 on the support from Paul. From all the events that I was at last year ran by Paul, the support was top notch.

I promise I will wear tights this time instead of shorts so no one has to say any prayers for my knees :D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

i'm in. see yis in bray

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

Think I'll do this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

Do you have to be a member of a club to do these runs might be able for the marble city 200 if my training stays going strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Rallymad wrote: »
    Do you have to be a member of a club to do these runs might be able for the marble city 200 if my training stays going strong

No you don't need to be a member of any club to take part.
    The only requirement is that you have a Cycling Ireland licence. If you don't have one a one day licence is available on the day at sign on. Rottenhat might confirm this and the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

The only requirement is that you have a Cycling Ireland licence. If you don't have one a one day licence is available on the day at sign on. Rottenhat might confirm this and the price.
    Thanks Tax man (never said that before lol)

The Tax Man is right, you can get a yearly CI license for as little as ten euro if its your first time or you can pay for day insurance. AFAIK its 5euro for the event, but I'm not sure if its gone up at all this year.

Last I heard, one day licenses this year will be 10% of the entry fee for the event, which seems insane (or else a hell of a bargain) to me...should be 50-60c for most of our events. Paul O'D was going to check it with CI prior to the Ardattin but I don't know if he got any response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I'm provisionally in for this. Anyone heading over from Kildare direction to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

honkjelly wrote: »
    i'm in. see yis in bray

I'm out. Hands still thawing out after clonard.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

Completed the Ardattin 200 today, great day, my first audax. Early in the year for me to do 200km but glad now.

A really well run event, especially considering the low entry fee, the total received would barely fill a couple of cars with petrol. Lunch was good as was plenty food and drinks provided before and after.

The organisers and other people who work to make events like this happen are the unsung of heroes of cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Headed out from Bray around 8.30 yesterday for the second Audax event of the year, the Ardattin 200. It’s billed as flat, but actually fairly rolling up and down a lot of the time. I hung in with the pack down the coast past Wicklow, then a few of the gang wanted to up the pace and everything broke up a bit. As we got nearer to the first stop, after Woodenbridge, I realised that my bars were loose in the stem as I had only finished building up the new bike the previous day, and had a quick one hour spin to see would anything fall off. The bars got progressively looser as I got closer to the stop, but I finally made it just before the bolts fell out altogether !
    Once I got things screwed back together I grabbed a few liquorice allsorts and dashed off with a gang of Orwellers, but they were a bit too quick for me so I ended up on my own most of the way to Ardattin. I overshot the pub and went on through the junction before deciding it must be back up in the village, and then when I came back I spotted all the bikes right by the road – don’t know how I missed them the first time. The Orwellers headed off shortly after I arrived, and then Eddie, Rottenhat, Andreas.Voigt, Frank , Nick and a few more rolled in. I was quite cold by now, so soup, tea and a feed of sangers were very welcome. We relaxed for a while and then headed off with Rottenhat, Andreas.Voigt, Cadex and Frank for the next stop in Rathdrum. Between Rottenhats routesheet and Aidans Garmin we managed to navigate ok. My Garmin had been navigating OK too, but mysteriously stopped completely around 100km. As we got closer to Rathdrum Frank and myself dropped off the back a bit, and we really felt the drag out of Ballinaclash – it seemed to go on forever. Finally we got to the top of the hill at Rathdrum and flew down the other side to join the others at the checkpoint at the bridge. I was feeling pretty tired by now, but another cup of tea and a few tuna and cheese wraps, and fruit cake helped to perk me up a bit.
    We headed on again down to Glenealy and across the wiggly bits to Ashford and on to the N11. From there it was a fairly straightforward lash up the main road at a reasonable pace, taking the road through Newtownmountkennedy which seemed to avoid one of the bigger hills on the N11. After that there was a bit of a slog up through Glen of the Downs before the final run through Kilmacanogue and back to the Bray Wheelers Clubhouse at 6.00pm, where we enjoyed another superb feed of tea, sandwiches, cake, biscuits and pancakes to top off the day.
    Thanks as usual to Paul, Clare, John and the guys at the Checkpoints for a great event, and for looking after us all so well.

I'll second that thanks to Paul, Clare, John and Andy. Fantastic support as always, Paul would want to be careful or people are going to forget that Audax is meant to be self reliant the way he runs such events :D

I think it was you guys packing up as I rolled in, sorry I didn't say much of a hello but I was just eager for a cuppa.

Great day overall, struggled between the first and second control quite badly but other than that, it was fantastic, Brittas Bay is a fantastic site to see on a clear calm day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 need4speedy

Many thanks to Paul and the crew, great event, really great fun and a great vibe on the road with my fellow participants. I can speak for the Orwell crew who all enjoyed the challenge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement