Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Baseball: Keeper League (Open to new entrants)

Options
  • 16-02-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

We are setting up a new Fantasy Baseball Keeper League, to run for 2012 season... and beyond.
    We have 9 people interested so far, minimum of 10 to set it up and can have up to 20.

*If you want to join up, just post in this thread or send me a PM. The more the merrier.

Interested
    1. UCD AFC
    2. Iang87
    3. WallyWanka
    4. BigBadRob83
    5. Masked Man
    6. brilliantboy
    7. 8-10
    8. lankythecamel
    9. summerskin

EDIT: 9th person added to league

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

I have also set up a poll for people to vote on what the rules, makeup, etc. of the keeper league should be: http://www.surveytool.com/s/SB292AF116

Any suggestions on stuff to be added to the league, drop me PM to let me know. Anyone who is partaking in Keeper League 2.0 should complete the poll so we all have a say in how it is structured.

Going to use ESPN for this league, have used a few sites over the years and from what I can tell it's the best free one out there (customisation options are immense, free App will be out in time for season)
    http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/baseball

You can see what a standard league looks like at bottom of this page: http://games.espn.go.com/flb/resourc...e=league-types

Interested
    1. UCD AFC
    2. Iang87
    3. WallyWanka
    4. BigBadRob83
    5. Masked Man
    6. brilliantboy
    7. 8-10
    8. lankythecamel
    9. summerskin
    10. bit of red72

We have the minimum number needed for the league, so we're good to go.

Plenty of room for new members to still join

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gciddy

Hi,

Long time fantasy baseball player - american living in Ireland for last 8 years, and would love to join a league with other managers over hear.

Thanks!

G

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

1. UCD AFC
    2. Iang87
    3. WallyWanka
    4. BigBadRob83
    5. Masked Man
    6. brilliantboy
    7. 8-10
    8. lankythecamel
    9. summerskin
    10. bit of red72
    11. gciddy
    :D
    where in america you from if you don't mind me asking?

Grew up in Vermont, then spent 7 years in Chicago. Grew up a Yankees fan, and then started to also follow the Cubs after going to many of their games. Thanks for adding me!

G

• Advertisement

Welcome to the league gciddy.

Am away this week lads, so will send around the league invites when I get back next week now that we had the minimum (and growing)

Okay guys, I will start sending around invites to the league so you can all join up on the ESPN fantasy baseball page, and start setting draft boards, research, etc. and my priority at the moment; coming up with a good team name.
    EDIT: Invites sent to everyone list above in post #5

Have created the league, but I will still be able to change league settings until right before the draft, when we have finalised the number of owners and the league rules via the poll.

In relation to the poll, am still waiting on two guys to fill it out:

bit of red72
    gciddy

Can you guys complete it when you get a chance: http://www.surveytool.com/s/SB292AF116

Thanks

P.S. Keep spreading the word to anyone you know who may be interested. Have also noticed there is an option to share ownership of a team with someone.

Sorry guys, invites I sent out seemed to be valid for one team only as it's a private league.

Re-sent PM's to ask for your email addresses. Will send out correct individual invites when you PM me address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

done signed up.

Just wonderin could the draft be changed to the evening time on the 26th

or is it set for 7pm

Iang87 wrote: »
    done signed up.
    Just wonderin could the draft be changed to the evening time on the 26th
    or is it set for 7pm

Just put in a draft time because needed to enter one. Once the league is filled up, I will do another poll and see what time best suits everyone and go for that.

• Advertisement

Okay guys, now that everyone is signed up, I have setup a poll to decide our draft date:
    http://www.doodle.com/tv8r3qhwudirhdce

So go to the poll, and click on the times you can or can't make and we'll have the draft on the day/time that suits the most amount of us so we can have maximum participation.

Also, until draft day, we will still be open to new entrants.

Have set last draft day as Tuesday 27 March, as 28 March is Opening Day (albeit in Japan)

Okay guys,

Draft date has been provisionally set for Tuesday 20 March at 21:00.

Still awaiting a couple of responses to the draft poll, but so far this day is the clear leader, everyone who has responded is able to do this date.

So get your draft prep going; watching Spring Training, reading copious amounts of articles, drill down into the stats and set your draft boards....

Also, after randomising the teams, ESPN has come up with our draft order:

1. GOT THE RUNS
    2. Liberty City Swingers
    3. Seattle Seamonkeys
    4. Dublin Turtles
    5. Judean Peoples Front
    6. Limerick Hotballs
    7. Cloverhill Cavaliers
    8. Summer Skins
    9. GCiddy's Biddies
    10. Exiled Red Sox
    11. Team Connolly
    12. Tolka Wrens
    13. Ballinlough Bottlers

We are drafting snake style, so the above will be the draft order for round 1 and all odd-numbered rounds.
    That order will be inverted for round 2 and even-numbered rounds

Hope everyone is ready for draft tonight, looking forward to it.

for no apparent reason I decided the draft was tomorrow night. Ok study time

Iang87 wrote: »
    for no apparent reason I decided the draft was tomorrow night. Ok study time

Must be the bank holiday throwing you off. Does feel like a Monday today alright

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Yeah, jesus, it really crept up quick. Looks like I'll be hitting the books for the rest of the evening too :D See you there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Okay guys,

Draft date has been provisionally set for Tuesday 20 March at 21:00.

Just saw this now, hope everyone else realises it's 8pm, not 9! (USA already moved their clocks so 4pm Eastern = 8pm here until next week)

;)

Best of luck everyone....see you in 9mins!!

Has the draft started? No idea the US moved their clocks?!

Lots of no-shows! I think the time difference messed up some people. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Ugh knew I forgot to subscribe to this thread :(

Sorry about the no-show, I'm there now but tbh I'd be as well off leaving it on auto-pick.

• Advertisement

**** just arrived home. missed the draft but ended up with a mighty team

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I wonder how much better my team would have been had I not been there for the draft!

Anyway, happy enough with my team. I think I have good balance without being strong in any one point. Let's see how it goes from next week!

Good luck everybody! Looking forward to an active and competitive league.

So the trades begin, I love my pitching staff. Judean peoples front I'm mulling the offer over I will let you know

Whoever took Bryce Harper, I had my eyes on him for my last pick. Little did I know someone was gonna take him that early (couple of rounds to go iirc)

I got my prospect in Lavarnway though - might have too many Sox with

Lester
    Bard
    Bucholz
    Bailey
    Lavarnway

:)

Id an army of sox last year at one stage it was crazy. Basically it read Gonzo, pedroia, youk and ortiz.

was fun when the sox were putting up 10 and 12 runs a night, not so fun with one or 2 runs a night

I also have a thing where I'm not a bigbfan of pitchers from the AL east, cos of the yankees, rays and sox but I believe that rule has been broken thanks to auto draft

Yeah the 4-hour time difference completely threw me, only got in from the 13th round on. Was annoyed at first (stupid US daylight savings time) until I had a look at my team.
    Had tinkered a lot with my pre-draft rankings, so was very happy with team drafted for me, especially Upton & Reyes in first two rounds. Very happy with top of my rotation (Strasburg, Wainwright & Johnson), and am a bit surprised at the number of Nationals I have on my team.
    Will be updating the trade block, mainly to see if anyone wants my Yankees, and may look for a closer as its the one position I may need help in.
    Had my eyes on Harper late too, was interesting seeing Trout and him both go in the 22nd round.

This is what ESPN though of our draft, with league standings based on their projections:

BoardsKeeperPrediction.JPG

Congratulations Team Hughes, you won the draft!
    Unlucky Ballinlough Bottlers, you have the wooden spoon. I guess ESPN doesn't believe in Paul Konerko as much as you do.

*I have also put some trophies up for the league (http://games.espn.go.com/flb/trophylist?leagueId=70828&seasonId=2012)
    Any suggestions on trophies to add are welcome, the more ridiculous/fun, the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

I guess ESPN doesn't believe in Paul Konerko as much as you do.
    On the contrary, ESPN auto-drafted him for me in round 1!! God knows how they justify having him there.

I was caught on the hop by the time difference too, only missed about 15 minutes though.

Congoose wrote: »
    On the contrary, ESPN auto-drafted him for me in round 1!! God knows how they justify having him there.

Wow, that is weird he's only ranked 36 in their standard rankings. Harsh.
    Must have been a pick based on position rather than ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

Wow, that is weird he's only ranked 36 in their standard rankings. Harsh.
    Must have been a pick based on position rather than ranking.

I think what happened is that when I set up my account a few weeks ago I messed around with pre-draft settings and I must have put 1B first.

Not a good move I know! But I knew I wouldn't be auto-drafting so I didn't look at it again.

I guess a couple of the teams before me drafted 1Bs in the first round and he was the next "best" available.

I'm actually not too unhappy with the rest of my team though, despite the bottom ranking. Got a few sleepers I wanted and plenty of stolen bases so with a bit of luck I might hit above my weight! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

reasonably happy with my team, even though i missed the live draft due to work. a couple of trades to be made, and i'll be even happier.

Advertisement