Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is sexism such a difficult topic?

Options
  • 15-02-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the male feminist thread, why is it so hard to discuss the topic in a clear reasonable manner?

Just to be clear, if you wish to express an opinion here it must be done in a non confrontational manner. You will not be given the benefit of the doubt.

Any use of "man hater, mansplaining, feminazi, and all other negative descriptions will see you thread banned.

If you want to discuss the topic, you are most welcome. If you want to troll and flame. You will be banned. This is the only warning.

Let's see how it goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

What happens in those threads is never discussion but open hostility based on preconceptions which are consistently unproven. FWIW, I won't be contributing to another one in AH for a good long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

It's difficult because everyone is sexist, it's human nature. There is no point in debating it on a message board, no conclusions will be reached, it'll just go around in circles, ever decreasing circles until people either get bored or the topic needs to be closed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

because

- i dont experience it so it cant exist
    - my problems are worse than yours
    - are you on the rag
    - i find it funny and thats what matters
    - so what if someone was sexist why didnt you magically make it stop it's all your fault
    - you obviously just hate the other gender

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Millicent wrote: »
    What happens in those threads is never discussion but open hostility based on preconceptions which are consistently unproven. FWIW, I won't be contributing to another one in AH for a good long time.

I can absolutely understand where you are coming from Millicent - after the psychobabble I was subjected to in the previous thread I felt the same.
    However, do we want to allow the critics to silence us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pissblast

Its inherit. Mens minds are unstable towards women. And women dont have male organs so cant really understand the pressures of been male. Lack of sex for a long enough period is like a a heroin addict with no heroin they just go mad.

Sexism is mainly directed towards women however I think Ireland can be proud of our equalisation of making women equals in everyday life should they so choose. the positions in my job are gendure based ie 50% of posts must be filled by both sexes. such things like this have helped no end in giving women an equal standing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

People like to argue.
    As this is the internet people can ramp up the arguing intensity without fear of the consequences you could get in real life - like get shouted at or punched. 90% of stuff people say here isn't actually their real opinion nor even something they care about, its just a point to argue about. Especially with a topic like sexism where they know exactly how to wind everyone up

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I can absolutely understand where you are coming from Millicent - after the psychobabble I was subjected to in the previous thread I felt the same.

This doesn't help much. I'd love to hear more from Millicent but the above is already starting to circle the wagons and what we don't really need here.

Bannasidhe wrote: »

For the moment, yes, unfortunately. This isn't my first showdown in AH and other posters who used to engage in the threads with similar viewpoints have largely stopped. It's not worth the stress for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Why is sexism such a difficult topic?
    Because there's a difference between sexism and women's/men's rights. People can fight for their rights all they want, and they're entitled to. But when sexism comes into it, it's a different ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I think sexism is always going to be around. You're very rarely going to see women pay for the first date. It's usually the male, or it's a 50-50. Some people see it as being a gentleman. I personally wouldn't expect a women to pay for the first date,so I'm probably sexist in that manner. You're also very rarely going to see women working in construction. I Don't think either of those are going to change any time soon.

Although, comments on 'women get back to the kitchen' 'make me a sandwich' are just fooking stupid.

But the comment 'That time of the month' is sometimes correct. I know plenty of women who just completely change when it's that time and snap at every little thing. I'm not saying all women do it, but I know a lot that do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

What's wrong with being sexy? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

What's wrong with being sexy? :confused:

Absolutely nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's instinct and men agreeing with feminism goes against instinct. Men strong, women weak. We have testosterone sloshing through our bodies that cuts dead any fancy thinking about women. I do believe in equal rights for women btw, the above is not an excuse, but women do not understand men and think we're doing it to piss them off.

My ex used to think I got erections deliberately. That's what men are up against.

bluewolf wrote: »
    because

- my problems are worse than yours
    - are you on the rag
    - i find it funny and thats what matters
    - so what if someone was sexist why didnt you magically make it stop it's all your fault
    - you obviously just hate the other gender

This post is spot on. Describes it down to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

This is AH, right? Go to Humanities or some other dark corner of Boards if you want to discuss such issues sensibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's not just sexism, it's any other ism that is difficult to discuss when there are people posting their personal experiences and viewpoints there always going to others who counteract it in whatever way they wish as it doesn't suit their preconceptions or agenda.

The reason why sexism gets more heated is because people are not posting from an abstract stance, like racism for example. Any thread on racism, you will have people saying why they think X is wrong or racist, rather than a select group who actually experience it everyday.

And in so, challenging people who actually experience it often leads to snide remarks etc. On both sides.

Unfortunately if the rational posters kept cool heads and didn't rise to being challenged in such a fashion, but instead just replied to the posts worth replying to there wouldn't be such a mess.

Although it is difficult when someone's words are manipulated, paraphrased wrongly and they defend themselves and then get called the playing the martyr / victim for doing so.

My advice is do not rise to it. Being defensive will only go so far. Move on and reply to the posts worth replying to that make for decent discussion and report the strawman / flame / provocative derailing posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

People generally speaking strongly identify with their gender, any implication of a bad word said about their gender becomes a personal insult because gender becomes part of their ego.

Add to that the fact the people don't seem to be willing to change their opinion so it becomes pointless really as neither party listens to the others arguments. A lot of people seem to think they are somehow a lesser person for being wrong so won't even entertain the idea that they are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Following on from the male feminist thread, why is it so hard to discuss the topic in a clear reasonable manner?

We are all human and have different opinions, it's easy to get caught up in the heat of the debate.
    There will usually be a few who are more vocal than others and the argument just goes round in circles.
    If you don't agree with the majority then no one cares or values your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Confab wrote: »
    My ex used to think I got erections deliberately. That's what men are up against.

I see why shes you're ex, I Lol'd reading that.

This is AH, right? Go to Humanities or some other dark corner of Boards if you want to discuss such issues sensibly.

Why? Other social issues get discussed here all the time. Why should sexism be shunted off to some "corner" of Boards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Because sometimes people find it difficult to step back and look at the bigger picture.

In this thread a poster asks would you propose to your OH, only 25% of women polled said that they would. That's 75% of women that would prefer if their boyfriend would, yet everyone wants equality. (I'm not for one moment suggesting there's anything wrong with women wanting the guy to propose either)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

pissblast wrote: »
    . the positions in my job are gendure based ie 50% of posts must be filled by both sexes. such things like this have helped no end in giving women an equal standing.

Gender quotas are inherently sexist, yet you claim it makes things more equal? Do you not see a cognitive dissonance here? This is the type of stuff that gives feminism a bad name and why it's thought to be discriminatory towards men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Men as the power in the dynamic do not understand or see anything is wrong, they are understandably conservative because they hold the power. So anyone challenging that position is a man hater, because what other reason would they challenge the status quo.

I wonder was it the same during the Civil Rights struggle in the US when the African Americans challenged the separate but equal legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

No, we'll discuss it here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

This doesn't help much. I'd love to hear more from Millicent but the above is already starting to circle the wagons and what we don't really need here.

That is not how it was intended. Millicent expressed the view that she saw no point in participating in this discussion as it would be just history repeating itself. To me that means those who, she felt, attacked her personally, would have succeeded in shutting her up. Encouraging someone like Millicent, who have proven herself to be both reasonable and fair, to continue to voice her opinion is not 'circling the wagons' - it is supporting a poster one admires to continue to speak her mind sure in the knowledge she will do so rationally and with respect for those who rationally debate with her.

You assured us the flaming and name calling prevalent previous threads on related topics would be swiftly and decisively dealt with, if that is the case I see no reason for wagons to be placed in any formation whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

There's bits of Boards that aren't AH :confused::confused: ?

Any who, it's mostly because of what Bluewolf said, and the inability / unwillingness to see things from a different viewpoint. You see that sh!t all the time from both sides of the fence. Both got it bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yes, this is AH. It is more of a reflection on what you perceive AH to be as opposed to what AH actually is. We are a community, we should be adult enough to discuss any subject in a respectful and open environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

bluewolf wrote: »
    because

"I don't experience it so why should I care" is a probably a bit more accurate, if less socially acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

TheZohan wrote: »
    Because sometimes people find it difficult to step back and look at the bigger picture.

In this thread a poster asks would you propose to your OH, only 25% of women polled said that they would. That's 75% of women that would prefer if their boyfriend would, yet everyone wants equality. (I'm not for one moment suggesting there's anything wrong with women wanting the guy to propose either)

I'm sorry. How is that poll a bigger picture? And what is it a bigger picture of? :o
    Women prefers if their special someone proposed to them, that means women.... ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Because in order to contribute to a debate thread you're obliged to take a side, even if you don't necessarily feel all that strongly about the subject.

Because most people are essentially looking for a row, regardless of the subject matter.

Because people tend to take offence when none is meant, mostly for the above reasons.

Because people prefer to throw about pointless definitions, statistics, studies and jargon rather than say what they really mean in plain English.

Because people are perfectly willing to discard everything they know about other posters, about men, about women, about life and about reality in the name of scoring points. Points that can't be traded for anything.

Because you're either with us or against us.

Advertisement