Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indecent Proposal?

Options
  • 13-02-2012 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭

Apparently February 29th is the one time every four years when it is acceptable for a woman to ask a man to marry her.*

Fellas, would you be put off if your girlfriend proposed to you? Or would you be delighted (assuming you wanted to get married, lol :p).

Ladies, would you ask your man to marry you, or would you prefer for him to ask you?

As for me, well, the OH and I were joking on the couch one day about why one should marry the other, and then we both popped the question at the same time. But I couldn't really imagine myself getting down on one knee or anything like that.

*This, of course, if you live in Daily Mail land

How do you feel about the woman proposing? 90 votes

I'm a guy and I would prefer to propose
    0% 0 votes
    I'm a guy and I'm open to her proposing
    23% 21 votes
    I'm a girl, and I would prefer for him to propose
    35% 32 votes
    I'm a girl, and I'm open to proposing
    31% 28 votes
    Marriage is for chumps!
    10% 9 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If there's BJs steak and beer involved I'll pretty much say yes to anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

But I couldn't really imagine myself getting down on one knee or anything like that.

So it's not an indecent proposal then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

and then we both popped the question at the same time.

Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'd like a woman to ask me to marry her. I'm house trained, tidy and I can ride my bike real fast. Any takers?

I'd prefer him to ask, but I keep telling him to watch out at the end of the month, just to freak him out. It keeps me entertained. Can't wait to see how he manages to dodge me for the entire day on the 29th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

If there's BJs steak and beer involved I'll pretty much say yes to anything.

Blow me and I'll give you a steak and a beer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Blow me and I'll give you a steak and a beer.

Where's my ring?
    This milk ain't free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

What sort of dowry are you offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 birdlake

Would I propose? No way hose!! I'm holding out for a down-on-one-knee, as cliched as possible, sparkly ring, emotional, tears in my eyes kind of proposal. Why would a girl rob herself of that?! (Yes, I'm a hopeless romantic) On a related note, what's the story with the ring if a girl does decide to pop the question? Do you buy your own? Worse still does the guy get it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Where's my ring?
    This milk ain't free.

You tell em, sist-, er, um, yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Run Dougal, run quite fast. Quite fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

This threads discriminates against gays.

I'd be open to her proposing, whoever her is, :( *sighs forlornly*. But I'd probably end up panicking if someone seriously asked me to marry them. Just wouldn't have a clue what to do and I'd probably seize up. Someone basically asking me to spend the rest of their life (wishful thinking) with me.
    I wouldn't be able to process it.

I thought about that. Following the logic of the Daily Mail, does that mean that lesbians can only get engaged in a leap year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Only in the same way that the Lesbian & Gay forum discriminates against straight people, ie. not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Where's my ring?
    This milk ain't free.

*sigh*

This better be some BJ.

*bends over*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Sindri wrote: »
    I'd be open to her proposing, whoever her is, :( *sighs forlornly*. But I'd probably end up panicking if someone seriously asked me to marry them. Just wouldn't have a clue what to do and I'd probably seize up. Someone basically asking me to spend the rest of their life (wishful thinking) with me.
    I wouldn't be able to process it.

If things get really bad there's always that sheep in the field outside your house you were on about a few days ago ;)

I thought about that. Following the logic of the Daily Mail, does that mean that lesbians can only get engaged in a leap year?

They can get engaged in anything they want to....as long as they put it on the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Any takers?
    I bid

Five Trillion Dollars!

Apparently February 29th is the one time every four years when it is acceptable for a woman to ask a man to marry her.*

Fellas, would you be put off if your girlfriend proposed to you? Or would you be delighted (assuming you wanted to get married, lol :p).

Ladies, would you ask your man to marry you, or would you prefer for him to ask you?

As for me, well, the OH and I were joking on the couch one day about why one should marry the other, and then we both popped the question at the same time. But I couldn't really imagine myself getting down on one knee or anything like that.

*This, of course, if you live in Daily Mail land

Congratulations:)

It wouldn't be for me personally. I'd only be interested in the tax aspect of marriage I'm afraid. I would marry a girl if it was some sort of ultimatum, but frankly the idea of marriage seems frightening and un-neccessary to me.

If things get really bad there's always that sheep in the field outside your house you were on about a few days ago ;)

In the field?

She's in my house now.;)

• Advertisement

So it's not an indecent proposal then?

Oh, crap, I just got this. :o

No comment.

;)

later10 wrote: »
    I bid

Five Trillion Dollars!

Congratulations:)

It wouldn't be for me personally. I'd only be interested in the tax aspect of marriage I'm afraid. I would marry a girl if it was some sort of ultimatum, but frankly the idea of marriage seems frightening and un-neccessary to me.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Oh, crap, I just got this. :o

No comment.

;)

'cos you have something in your mou....no, no, I can't do it. Congratulations on your engagement.

In the field?

She's in my house now.;)

Two full weeks till the 29th mate...all the best!

Cosy night in by the fire tomorrow for Valentine's, you with your wooly jumper on....she with her, eh, wool. Sounds romantic.

EDIT: just make sure its not lamb chops in the oven, might dent hopes of getting the ride :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Could I do a reverse engagement on the 29th ? If I was engaged already and wanted to get out of it ? just sayin '

later10 wrote: »

So if a girl said "You're the love of my life - will you marry me?" you would freak out, but if she said "Hey, if we get married we can save 3K a year on tax bills!" that would be less scary?

birdlake wrote: »
    Would I propose? No way hose!! I'm holding out for a down-on-one-knee, as cliched as possible, sparkly ring, emotional, tears in my eyes kind of proposal. Why would a girl rob herself of that?! (Yes, I'm a hopeless romantic)

I think I would die of embarrassment, tbh. Plus I don't like diamonds, or sparkly things in general.
    birdlake wrote: »
    On a related note, what's the story with the ring if a girl does decide to pop the question? Do you buy your own? Worse still does the guy get it? :confused:

Apparently engagement watches are a thing now? Although I do remember some horrid article on 'man-gagement rings' from a few weeks ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

So if a girl said "You're the love of my life - will you marry me?" you would freak out, but if she said "Hey, if we get married we can save 3K a year on tax bills!" that would be less scary?
    Precisely!

If she wanted to help me with taxes (which actually turns me on a little bit as it happens) that would show that she is using her brain. This is hot.

If she wanted to trap marry me out of love/ affection, this would tell me she was thinking with her heart. This is terrifically frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

Well, she knew that I was never going to ask her (we were already living together, so I didn't see any point), so she told me when we were getting married, then went out and bought her own engagement ring.

• Advertisement

Wedgie wrote: »
    Well, she knew that I was never going to ask her (we were already living together, so I didn't see any point), so she told me when we were getting married, then went out and bought her own engagement ring.

:eek:

Did you have any say in this at all, or did you just show up at the appointed time?

Advertisement