Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT community exhibitionism

Options
  • 12-02-2012 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wanted to get views from you guys/gals regarding LGBT people being too "in your face" in public acts of affection which, in my experience become acts of exhibitionism. I think its in bad taste regardless of whether its from straight couples or gay couples but I think that a lot of the gay community engage in this behaviour to provoke a response. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭James W

What do you mean, exactly? Give an example.

Why should it provoke a response unless public decency is at issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

James W wrote: »
    What do you mean, exactly? Give an example.

Why should it provoke a response unless public decency is at issue?

In the pub - wearing the faces off each other, heavy petting etc.
    It gets noticed and is frowned upon (straight couples too) so the motive, in my opinion is deliberate seeking a reaction

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Emmmm yeah. Go to any night club and you'll witness any straight couple wearing the face off each other. I wouldn't have a problem with a gay couple doing the same. Unless you're talking about full on dry humping.

Emmmm yeah. Go to any night club and you'll witness any straight couple wearing the face off each other. I wouldn't have a problem with a gay couple doing the same. Unless you're talking about full on dry humping.
    I mentioned the pub but you change the venue to a night club and express your support.
    Any chance you might comment on the actual conversation? "Emmmm yeah" -??????????????????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi all,
    Just wanted to get views from you guys/gals regarding LGBT people being too "in your face" in public acts of affection which, in my experience become acts of exhibitionism. I think its in bad taste regardless of whether its from straight couples or gay couples but I think that a lot of the gay community engage in this behaviour to provoke a response. Your thoughts?

I don't think it's a big problem

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I am nearly 30 years old, and I have never in my life seen a gay couple doing anything more sexual in public than your average straight couple. Ever. I have, however, seen straight couples getting FAR more sexual than anyone ever should in public.

I am nearly 30 years old, and I have never in my life seen a gay couple doing anything more sexual in public than your average straight couple. Ever. I have, however, seen straight couples getting FAR more sexual than anyone ever should in public.
    Murphys law I guess - maybe you notice straight exhibitionism more than the gay variety ( an vice versa for me I guess). The "Ever" part of your post makes me think you need to get out more!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Hi all,

It depends on what you mean by exhibitionism. If it's a simple kiss or holding hands in public, it should be viewed with the same contempt as a straight couple doing the same. Personally, it doesn't bother me (though I'm gay) but I don't see why a straight person should be so bothered with it either. Similarly, I'm not bothered by a straight couple kissing or holding hands in public.

If, by exhibitionism, you're talking about public sexual acts, then I think that most of us would condemn that - it doesn't matter if you're straight or gay, it's downright indecent.

I don't think it's a big problem
    No big problem for you or just in general? Or its ok for such exhibitionism?

Can you define what sort of exhibitionism you're talking about - just to be clear. Do you mean sexual acts, or just a mere kiss and holding hands? Please enlighten us.

• Advertisement

It depends on what you mean by exhibitionism. If it's a simple kiss or holding hands in public, it should be viewed with the same contempt as a straight couple doing the same. Personally, it doesn't bother me (though I'm gay) but I don't see why a straight person should be so bothered with it either. Similarly, I'm not bothered by a straight couple kissing or holding hands in public.

If, by exhibitionism, you're talking about public sexual acts, then I think that most of us would condemn that - it doesn't matter if you're straight or gay, it's downright indecent.
    Yeah regular kissing/holding hand is ok in my book - the heavy petting is not for me - I agree with you - I don't care if its straight or gay - I posted here because, in my experience, its more common in gay couples

It depends what you mean by exhibitionism

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Murphys law I guess - maybe you notice straight exhibitionism more than the gay variety ( an vice versa for me I guess). The "Ever" part of your post makes me think you need to get out more!;)
    I've genuinely never seen two members of the same sex, in the flesh, kissing each other. The fact that I've never seen this would mean I would be a hell of a lot more likely to notice it should it ever actually happen.

Mods: I think you should do yourselves a favour here and check out i8jnzg4lkvdchs's posting history regard LGBT issues and just close this thread now.

Can you define what sort of exhibitionism you're talking about - just to be clear. Do you mean sexual acts, or just a mere kiss and holding hands? Please enlighten us.
    I was pretty clear in my earlier posts - please read them;)

Yeah regular kissing/holding hand is ok in my book - the heavy petting is not for me - I agree with you - I don't care if its straight or gay - I posted here because, in my experience, its more common in gay couples

what is?

Terry Pratchet

How is my opinion Murphy's Law? You asked a question, I answered it, and yet because my answer isn't what you're looking for, you scoff at it?

I think I'd echo baby and crumble here, I've never witnessed any excessive acts of "exhibitionism" by gay couples in public places - more so by straight couples though. Did you decide to post here based on a recent experience, or is it just a general observation?

I was pretty clear in my earlier posts - please read them;)

Ok - so in your opinion heavy petting in public is much more common amongst gay/lesbian couples than heterosexual couples and you think that they only do this to get some sort of reaction?

Terry Pratchet

How is my opinion Murphy's Law? You asked a question, I answered it, and yet because my answer isn't what you're looking for, you scoff at it?
    No. I didn't scoff but your "Ever" comment was a bit rich - I would scoff at that!
    My Murphys law comment was explained in the rest of that post - please re-read

Ok - so in your opinion heavy petting in public is much more common amongst gay/lesbian couples than heterosexual couples and you think that they only do this to get some sort of reaction?
    Bingo!

• Advertisement

I think I'd echo baby and crumble here, I've never witnessed any excessive acts of "exhibitionism" by gay couples in public places - more so by straight couples though. Did you decide to post here based on a recent experience, or is it just a general observation?
    Yes, recent experience prompted my post but lifetime experience informed my post

No. I didn't scoff but your "Ever" comment was a bit rich - I would scoff at that!
    My Murphys law comment was explained in the rest of that post - please re-read

My 'ever' comment was to drive my point home. I also fail to see why my not seeing gay couples in exhibitionist behaviour engages Murphy's Law. Murphy's Law is stated as "If anything can go wrong, it will", which frankly makes no sense in this context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭peter barrins

This post has been deleted.

Ok well

In my lifetime experience I have noticed some "exhibitionism" of gay couples and some of straight couples - So I would have to say in my experience I don't think that this is a major problem - I really don't believe that it's more common for gay couples to engage in "exhibitionism" than for straight couples to do so

Terry Pratchet

recent experience

Elaborate please.

Clearly the OP has never been to Temple Bar (excluding the area near George's Street) on a Friday/Saturday nights.

Elaborate please.
    Will do but only in a limited way - 2 girls snogging and feeling each other up. It was an exhibition and yes, it got my attention and I looked - but soon as they saw me looking I got the hairies!

Ridiculous LOL. care to debate the issue or just engage in name calling like a child?

Will do but only in a limited way - 2 girls snogging and feeling each other up. It was an exhibition and yes, it got my attention and I looked - but soon as they saw me looking I got the hairies!

Have you never seen a guy and a girl doing something similar? and also were you assuming these girls were doing what they were doing just to get a reaction?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Have you never seen a guy and a girl doing something similar? and also were you assuming these girls were doing what they were doing just to get a reaction?
    if a straight couple did the same I would question their motivation, just like I am regarding gay couples and the amount of them who engage in such behaviour

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement