Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Namedropper. I bet she even has a Bono story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Monday August 12th
    Rest
    Weight 63kgs:eek:
    I generally don’t bother posting my weight as it’s not something I worry about too much but I nearly fell off the scales when I stood on them this morning. I had weighed myself when we came home from holidays so I knew I was up a bit but I’m considering changing my username to VoluptuousVera;) I’ll have to bite the bullet and cut out the junk if I want to get back to my previous level of fitness. Mr Stew says he prefers me when I’m not too skinny but I know he’s only saying that as he knows the weight will slow me down;) and he can leave me for dust in the 10 Miler:eek:
    Hoping to be back next week with a more respectable weight.
    45 minute Body Pump class

Tuesday August 13th
    30 minute spinning class
    75 minute Hot Ashtanga Yoga class
    Club session
    Total 9.5 miles including warm-up and cool down, Fartlek session 6 X 5mins HMP + 2mins steady
    Pace for intervals (6.58, 7.01, 7.23, 7.24, 7.31, 7.24)
    A tough session where I just about hang on to the back of a group, the pace dropped as the intervals went on but I felt somewhat in control and although I didn’t really enjoy the session I was confident of completing it. Finished feeling relatively good so I was happy enough with that.

The session was followed with a talk organised by the club with John Foster from The Sport’s Surgery Clinic, a very interesting talk with a lot of information to take in. It was a brief talk where he discussed certain myths about running, the one that really stood out for me was his theory that stretching is not necessary for injury prevention:eek: I asked him if I’d been wasting my time in yoga classes and he said that although there were a lot of poses that involved strength not all of the poses would be beneficial for running. As with all new information/theories I’d take them with a grain of salt and first and foremost I’ll stick with what I know works for me but it’s never any harm to keep up with new ideas.
    http://www.informrunning.com/blog/

Wednesday August 7th
    12.11 miles @ 9 min/miles
    This run was tough and I really only enjoyed the last two miles when I knew I’d finish it. One of those character-building runs where you have to constantly stop those voices in your head ….. It’s too warm… I’m too old for this… Exactly why am I running?... Why aren’t I going any faster, this feels like 5K pace?.... Where is the chocolate?
    I arrived home bathed in sweat a little concerned but I’m assuming I was tired because I had had such a busy day on Tuesday, the club session obviously took more out of me than I thought. Also by the time I headed out the door it was 11am and I didn’t have anything to eat and only 2 coffees to drink so I might have fared better if I had some fuel on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

It was very humid yesterday O. I was running MP miles and felt more like LT effort so wouldn't let that one session weigh you down...(see what I did there?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Marthastew wrote: »
    ...theory that stretching is not necessary for injury prevention:eek: I asked him if I’d been wasting my time in yoga classes and he said that although there were a lot of poses that involved strength not all of the poses would be beneficial for running.

I have heard this a while ago on a webinar from the hospital here that does a lot of work with the pro sports teams. They said less focus on stretching and focus on strength. Now I suspect that this advice may vary with age - but what did he suggest as an alternative and why ? Btw, with your results and progress, I'd be very wary of changing anything. For us mortals however ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

[
    Weight 63kgs:eek:
    I generally don’t bother posting my weight as it’s not something I worry about too much but I nearly fell off the scales when I stood on them this morning. I had weighed myself when we came home from holidays so I knew I was up a bit but I’m considering changing my username to VoluptuousVera;) I’ll have to bite the bullet and cut out the junk if I want to get back to my previous level of fitness. Mr Stew says he prefers me when I’m not too skinny but I know he’s only saying that as he knows the weight will slow me down;) and he can leave me for dust in the 10 Miler:eek:
    Hoping to be back next week with a more respectable weight.

No way in hell are you heavier than me!

The session was followed with a talk organised by the club with John Foster from The Sport’s Surgery Clinic, a very interesting talk with a lot of information to take in. It was a brief talk where he discussed certain myths about running, the one that really stood out for me was his theory that stretching is not necessary for injury prevention:eek: I asked him if I’d been wasting my time in yoga classes and he said that although there were a lot of poses that involved strength not all of the poses would be beneficial for running. As with all new information/theories I’d take them with a grain of salt and first and foremost I’ll stick with what I know works for me but it’s never any harm to keep up with new ideas.
    http://www.informrunning.com/blog/

Don't stretch myself. Never get running related injuries either. Coach doesn't promote stretching while massage guy does. Lots of different ideas out there, coach doesn't drink water during training while most people think I'm crazy for not drinking or taking on nutrition during training. If stretching and yoga isn't doing you any harm, sure keep doing it.

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    It was very humid yesterday O. I was running MP miles and felt more like LT effort so wouldn't let that one session weigh you down...(see what I did there?!)
    :D
    See you in Athlone, hope the recovery is still going well.
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    I have heard this a while ago on a webinar from the hospital here that does a lot of work with the pro sports teams. They said less focus on stretching and focus on strength. Now I suspect that this advice may vary with age - but what did he suggest as an alternative and why ? Btw, with your results and progress, I'd be very wary of changing anything. For us mortals however ...

John Foster who gave the talk explained it quite well and it actually made sense at the time. I think he's Australian and they're always easy to listen to (well, maybe not Rolf Harris:D) and he wasn't at all preachy. Exactly what you say you've read; it's about more focus on strength, think Plyometrics but not with a different twist. Although we might not agree with all these new theories or they may not suit us it's fun to keep up with current thinking. If it weren't for Katherine Switzer people could still be thinking that women's insides would fall out if they ran a marathon;)
    But I'm sticking with yoga, I started doing it when I was injured but I actually really enjoy it now, I like the mental discipline required to hold some of the poses as well as the physical strength it brings.
    How are you? Is Mrs P running NY? I think you said you were giving it a wide berth? I hope the bronchitis has cleared?

No way in hell are you heavier than me!

Don't stretch myself. Never get running related injuries either. Coach doesn't promote stretching while massage guy does. Lots of different ideas out there, coach doesn't drink water during training while most people think I'm crazy for not drinking or taking on nutrition during training. If stretching and yoga isn't doing you any harm, sure keep doing it.

It's official, I am heavier than you;) I'm hoping another high mileage week will show results on the scales.

All fairly quiet with you.... any update on the digestion issues? Any nice races planned? Give me a shout when you're next out swimming in the sea and I'll come join you and we can laugh at how chubby I am:D:D

. Exactly what you say you've read; it's about more focus on strength, think Plyometrics but not with a different twist. Although we might not agree with all these new theories or they may not suit us it's fun to keep up with current thinking. If it weren't for Katherine Switzer people could still be thinking that women's insides would fall out if they ran a marathon;)
    But I'm sticking with yoga, I started doing it when I was injured but I actually really enjoy it now, I like the mental discipline required to hold some of the poses as well as the physical strength it brings.

Yes, interesting stuff. It's coming from very credible sources. For those of us dealing with persistent injury problems it is worth thinking about. I've tried yoga - I'd rather do a marathon any day.
    How are you? Is Mrs P running NY? I think you said you were giving it a wide berth? I hope the bronchitis has cleared?

Not so great - been no consistent running since January. Lateral ligament strain - very frustrating injury. You think it is cleared and then pull up after a quarter mile.

Mrs P is training for NY but it is not going well. She was rejected from giving blood this week as her iron was too low.

However ... I am upgrading my running gear .. namely a house in an area with 130 miles of fantastic canal towpaths to run by the Delaware River.:)

Thursday August 15th recovery
    5.26 miles @ 9.47

Friday August 16th LSR
    21.27, overall pace 8.25 min/miles
    I was running the first 10 miles of this on my own and meeting up with Meno for the last 10, I took the somewhat easy option of flat in along the coast and back home again and was happy to feel strong and well recovered after such a horrible run on Wednesday. Overall pace was a handy 8.10 when I finished the first 10 and then Meno suggested we head to Foxrock to stalk Claralara;) so that involved a few uphill miles:( I had a big glass of water and a half a banana so I presumed that would keep me going till the end of the run but by 17 miles I was parched with the thirst and luckily we passed a petrol station where the glorious yummy blue nectar of Powerade was smiling at me out of the fridge:D YUM!! I inhaled the bottle ( I was kind enough to offer some to Meno) and I swear that stuff is like rocket fuel, I was like a new person on the last few miles home and managed to really pick it up at the end. A great run that left me feeling strong and happy.
    Saturday August 17th Marlay Parkrun 23.33
    Another trip up to Marlay with Junior but with the weather not quite as nice as usual I warned him that it would be tougher. Another great warm-up from the DSD crew and we settled in a little closer to the front this time and headed off. First mile went well 7.54, as we overtook plenty of runners but I noticed he wasn’t too happy and he said he had a sore shoulder, he had been playing Frisbee the day before so I told him not to worry and to slow down. Next mile was 8.28, and then he caught sight of a young boy and his competitive streak took over, as we picked up our pace I noticed him looking at his Garmin and he said to me “How did I ever run a 20 minute 5k?”:) 6.50 for the last mile and I had to tell him to stop looking round (he was keeping an eye on the competition) and just run as fast as he could (.06, 5.36). We stayed around to help sort tokens again and despite the poor weather (which actually wasn’t that bad at all as the rain stayed away) there were 416 Finishers.
    :D We Heart Parkrun:D
    Total miles including warm-up and cool down 5.64 miles
    Sunday August 18th Recovery
    4.1 miles @ 10 min mile pace
    After the parkrun the Stew boys and I packed up the car and headed to Joe Dolan country (Mullingar)for our annual camping trip with friends. The diet went out the window as there wasn’t a hope in hell of me not having a few glasses of wine to help me sleep and it would have been rude not to toast marshmallows. Our neighbours for the night were enjoying their stay so much they decided to party until 4.30 am and I finally fell asleep for a few hours. I woke to sunshine and decided to escape for a few very slow miles around Lough Ennell. No sign of the ghost of Joe Dolan though;) My back was in bits and I was sore all over from sleeping on the ground but by the end of the trot around I felt much better.
    Total miles for week 62.01:D

Monday August 19th
    Rest
    Weight 61kgs (moving in the right direction)
    I spent the day cross-training in the form of washing massive amounts of campfire-smelling clothes;)

Tuesday August 20th

AM 4.33 miles @ 9.14
    30 minute Rip 60 class*
    PM Total 5.5 miles
    * the latest new thing in our gym http://www.rip60.com/ , apparently I’ll be ripped within 60 days:D Actually I really enjoyed the class as most of the work is the kind of strength work I should be doing to avoid injury anyway and the time flew by.
    Easy run at the club in the evening followed by a 400M relay race where I fear I let my team down but since there were so many people running round having fun nobody noticed (I hope)

Wednesday August 21st

10.10 miles easy @ 8.37 pace
    Nice easy run along the coast.

Thursday August 22nd

30 minute Rip 60 Class
    Junior2 had a head cold and I woke thinking I had it also, decided to be a hypochondriac and not run but feeling guilty I headed down to the gym. Luckily no head cold at the end of the day:D (but I’m hoping junior didn’t notice I wasn’t hugging and kissing him:))

Friday August 23rd

90 minute Vinyasa yoga class
    OHM:D:D:D:D

Friday August 23rd

90 minute Vinyard yoga class
    OHM:D:D:D:D

FYP :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

MarthaStew is going all Krusty on us with her "catch up" postings :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's official, I am heavier than you;) I'm hoping another high mileage week will show results on the scales.

All fairly quiet with you.... any update on the digestion issues? Any nice races planned? Give me a shout when you're next out swimming in the sea and I'll come join you and we can laugh at how chubby I am:D:D

No way are you heavier than me you're still like a stick I'm like a whale :pac:

Having a load of digestive issues over the last two weeks. I don't even notice it half the time now but am taking the plunge and going back to my old GP this week. He will actually listen to me and do a full review, rather than the local one who just told me I shouldn't 'just stop' eating wheat/gluten and sent me on my way. :) It's frustrating and if I'm going a little easy on myself it has been a fair contributor to my lack of training. I like to blame myself for being lazy though.

Great to see you and Mr Stew yesterday. You both ran well for two people who were aiming for a slower time than I was. :P

Hey at least everyone at the race knew that we all 'normally' run much faster than this!

Hopefully catch yee properly again soon. :)

MarthaStew is going all Krusty on us with her "catch up" postings :)

I even went running today in the hills in Wicklow (once the land of Krusty, before he moved to Alpine marathons;)). Unfortunately that's where the similarity ends although I did give him a run for his money in The Coal Hole after London marathon:)

No way are you heavier than me you're still like a stick I'm like a whale :pac:

Having a load of digestive issues over the last two weeks. I don't even notice it half the time now but am taking the plunge and going back to my old GP this week. He will actually listen to me and do a full review, rather than the local one who just told me I shouldn't 'just stop' eating wheat/gluten and sent me on my way. :) It's frustrating and if I'm going a little easy on myself it has been a fair contributor to my lack of training. I like to blame myself for being lazy though.

Great to see you and Mr Stew yesterday. You both ran well for two people who were aiming for a slower time than I was. :P

Hey at least everyone at the race knew that we all 'normally' run much faster than this!

Hopefully catch yee properly again soon. :)

Great to catch up with you also yesterday and I'm delighted to see you back running and even enjoying races.
    Definitely get the digestion sorted because until you do it'll mess up your training and even worse it'll mess with your mind. In the meantime give yourself a break and don't be so hard on yourself. You also had a great run under the circumstances, while it's important to keep working hard and chasing the PBs none of it is worth it if we're not having fun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey Marthastew, training looks to be going great, super 21+ miler last week! Catching up on your log, I can't believe you managed so many miles on holiday in Thailand. You're some woman :D

RubyK wrote: »
    Hey Marthastew, training looks to be going great, super 21+ miler last week! Catching up on your log, I can't believe you managed so many miles on holiday in Thailand. You're some woman :D

Good to hear from you RK:) I'm delighted to be getting back to myself fitness-wise and the summer has been wonderful

Any more pacing gigs for you? How is your training going? I presume you're doing DCM? you recovered very well after London and are in great shape, hope to catch up with you again soon

It’s been a while since I’ve written a race report so I’ve overindulged a little. If you’re not in the mood for waffles then the bold print will fill you in:)

Frank Duffy 10 Miler Phoenix Park
    I love, love, love the 10 Miler, back in 2008 it was the first ever mass participation road race I ran and I remember being blown away by such a large group of people all running towards the Finish line. Numbers must have been lower as the bibs had to be collected on race morning in Castleknock School. I didn’t own a Garmin and as far as I was concerned PB stood for Peanut Butter;) so I was basically running for fun, I ran a respectable 1 hour 18 minutes and chatted away to other runners drinking tea and eating brack in the school afterwards and when I arrived home I told Mr Stew I couldn’t wait to run another race. Not being a runner at the time he thought I was mad and couldn’t really understand my enthusiasm. That afternoon we watched Usain Bolt break the 100M world record in Beijing and the rest, as they say, is history:) Fast forward and I’m 5 years older, not much wiser and not much faster but I’m nevertheless delighted to be at the start line of this race as this time last year I was out with quite a chronic injury and gutted not to be racing. If you had asked me what I could expect to run a 10 mile race in in March of this year I would have proudly replied 67/68 minutes (I ran 89.XX in Bohermeen Half) but having overdone things a bit too much in the run up to London Marathon I’ve had to take a break and get back to fitness slowly. The Bay 10K 3 weeks ago was a stark reminder of how much fitness I’d lost but my training has gone well since. I quite honestly didn’t think I would be able to knock too much of my once soft PB 75.XXmins and after a tough speed session with the club last week I was somewhat worried I’d even manage a PB.
    A good night’s sleep on Friday and I woke feeling happy and nervous. Mr Stew and I collected Meno (no update of mine is complete without a mention of him;)) and another pal who was also racing and we arrived nice and early to a perfect day for racing. We managed to catch up with lots of pals before the race, did a warm up with some club mates and before we knew it it was time to line up. The start was delayed a little because the gantry fell down and we joked that the race was cancelled and we could all go home with PBs:) Then suddenly Boom, we were off…..

Miles 1 – 4

The announcer reminded us all that a big smile crossing the starting mat would knock 17 seconds off our time:D so I was beaming as I passed under the now upright gantry and pressed start on my Garmin. I usually find that I pretty much know how my race will go when I’ve taken that first step and I was delighted to feel strong and optimistic. Mr Stew and I settled in overtaking lots of people and also others overtaking us in the first mile but by the second mile things had settled down. Given my fitness loss over the last few weeks I wasn’t really sure what pace I should be running so I had set my Garmin to show time only, although I planned not to look at it for the race. I was pleasantly surprised when Mr S told me our first mile was 6.48 as I knew we had to bank a bit of time for the hills later. Mr Stew and I took turns leading and the second mile (6.49) was over before we knew it. I let Mr S gradually drift ahead of me as I reminded myself I’d need to sustain this pace for another hour. The next 2 miles (7.03, 7.07) were spent gradually overtaking and staying in line with a female runner from Clonliffe. She had a lot of support along the course but fortunately for us Crusader supporters were also out in full force so we were both lapping it up. I wasn’t sure what age group she was but I wasn’t letting her out of my sight in case she was F45 (turns out she was F35). All the time I could see Mr S up ahead and whenever he would catch sight of me when the course doubled back he’d shout “Come on O, come get me” and every time I’d push things up a notch I’d realise I’d just have to keep him in my sight and hope to catch him on the hills. I was lucky enough to pass a few female runners from our club and I told them I was trying to catch Mr S. The New York Dublin marathon last November had been run on parts of the course here and it was bringing lots of happy memories.

Miles 5 – 8
    Still feeling strong but working hard I was now starting to push out the negative thoughts that were telling me I should slow down and take it easy. I had resisted the urge to look at my watch and I was pleasantly surprised to see 35. XX when I looked at the 5 mile marker. (7.06 for my 5th mile) and I decided to pick it up on the nice next mile (6.53). At the same time I had to contend with the voices in my head telling me to slow down and save something for the hills and I kept reminding myself to stay in the mile I was in…… I am strong, I love this mile was my mantra and I could still see Mr Stew up ahead. The Clonliffe runner was still beside me and we told each other not long to go now. I was delighted to get a super shout out from Officer Digger (on camera duty, rumour has it he missed Claralara cos she went by so fast on her way to a massive PB;)) “That’s the national Irish 50K Champion” he shouted as I passed and the guy in front of me turned around and looked at me as if to say “No way”, “It’s true” I replied and then that became my mantra for the next mile... I’m the national Irish 50K champion…. (I have to make the most of it for now as Claralara has her sights set on it for next year:)) I hadn’t intended taking on any water but as I ran through the station there was a glass right beside me so I sipped a small drop and poured the rest on my head, lovely:D Mile 8 I was working really hard not to slow too much (7.14) The support from our club was fantastic here and I can honestly say they saved me a good few seconds.

Miles 9 - Finish
    Demons knocking on my brain again and I changed my mantra to I eat hills for breakfast…… This was quickly followed by the realisation that in fact I have been eating croissants for breakfast and the extra weight isn’t helping on the hills:eek: Luckily the Clonliffe runner is behind me and as I pass Meno who is marshalling he tells me Mr S is about 10 seconds ahead so I stay as strong as I can (7.17) even though my legs are hurting and I’m starting to fade. At some point along here a runner pulls up beside me, looking like he is out for a jog and happened to bump into me “Hi O” he says and I recognise him vaguely but I’m hardly able to speak, he introduces himself and I even manage “How nice to see you, how are you?” (If I hadn’t chatted with him after the finish I would have almost thought I’d had some lactic hallucinations;)) He asks me how I am and I reply “great, thanks” and then I say “Actually I’m f**ked” and I tell him to push on. I’m laughing to myself and trying to remember the last time I saw him years ago, I’m sure he wasn’t a runner then, I know I definitely wasn’t. And then I wake up when I see the 9 mile marker and think Come on O, no excuses for the last mile…. The last mile is pure hell, I keep pushing myself to try and catch Mr S (his last mile split was slower than mine (7.01) so I was gaining ground). I overtake a few runners (including my long lost friend) and one or two (not female) overtake me. The support along here was super with lots of people urging us on, a nice shout out from Belcara on the last straight (.05 @ 5.34) and I honestly cannot believe it when I see 70.51 on the Finish Line clock:D

Chip Time 70.39
    3rd F45
    505th overall
    10.05 miles @7.01 pace
    Total including warm-up and cool down 12 miles
    After the nausea passed I hugged Mr Stew and congratulated him on the family 10 mile PB (personal best, not peanut butter;)) 70.24 for him and he was naturally as happy as I was. It's amazing what a few weeks hard work can do! After catching up with lots of happy campers we jogged over to the visitors centre for a fab lunch with some wonderful club mates, everybody who had raced was happy and those who didn't race had definitely PBed in supporting:) All in all a great day

The Stews are back in town;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

As usual, super report........I'm just wondering if there is anyone you don't know!

See you in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Well done MS. Always love reading your reports

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

She's (and he's) baaaa-ack!!! Well done to the both of you. And as usual, a gracious, funny and inspiring report. You're pretty amazing, O! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Excellent....AND you're so pretty too... :D

Sunday August 25th
    LSR 21.04 miles @ 8.51 pace

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/364638351

I recovered well after the race on Saturday and a nice relaxing evening at home with the family followed by a great night’s sleep meant I was feeling good when I woke early on Sunday. Mr S also woke early feeling good so before we knew it we were out the door heading for the hills and Enniskerry. I had given him free rein with the route and my only stipulation was that we run 21 miles at the slow end of our LSR pace. We were both feeling the niggles as we started and since our route began uphill we had no problem keeping it slow. A perfect morning for a run, not too warm and a little misty still, we had the roads to ourselves and settled in for the task ahead. I love LSRs, a chance to relax, take in the scenery and burn off all the extra calories you've consumed eating toasted marshmallows. I’ve attached the Garmin link as there isn’t a hope in hell of me remembering where we went (Heart Rate is Mr Stew, we only have one monitor). Suffice to say there were hills (lots of them) elevation gain/loss was 1,500ft so we worked hard. On one particular climb I couldn’t even enjoy the scenery I was working so hard and I’m pretty sure I may have been going backwards at some stage. But what goes up must come down so it wasn’t all bad. In order to make the run more like a day-trip we stopped off for a coffee and a scone when we got to Enniskerry (in hindsight not a great idea, I spent the next few miles burping;)) it was a little tough to get going again but it’s always nice turning round for home. At mile 18 I started to get quite tired and wasn’t exactly feeling the love, Mr S was flying at this stage and I told him to push ahead but he wanted to stay with me and luckily I got a second wind and picked it up for the last few miles. Another great LSR deposited in the training bank and all before 10am on a Sunday morning:)

Did I mention The Stews are back in town?:D

Total miles for the week 52.28

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I think I heard somewhere the Stews are back in town! ;):)

Nice run. And I never even asked you - are you racing or pacing DCM?? And if pacing, which slot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice one O ... you (and Mr. Stew) are flying it :D

Your garmin link isn't working btw ;)

Congrats .. great effort as ever from the national 50k champion.
    wasn’t sure what age group she was but I wasn’t letting her out of my sight in case she was F45 (turns out she was F35)

If she's a poster here she'll be trilled with that :D !

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I think I heard somewhere the Stews are back in town! ;):)

Nice run. And I never even asked you - are you racing or pacing DCM?? And if pacing, which slot?

I'm very much looking forward to pacing DCM, 4 hour group is where all the fun is happening this year. Mr S is racing, the household PB needs improving:)
    Nice one O ... you (and Mr. Stew) are flying it :D

Your garmin link isn't working btw ;)

Thanks K, it really is a super route, not nearly as tough as your Wicklow Way trip but good fun
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    Congrats .. great effort as ever from the national 50k champion.

If she's a poster here she'll be trilled with that :D !
    :D I'm sure she was looking at me thinking I was in the F50 category;)

Monday August 26th
    Weight 59.5 kgs
    Rest Day
    An honest to goodness rest day with no activity apart from a quick nervous dip in the sea, these guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion's_mane_jellyfish have arrived in full force:eek::eek::eek:

Tuesday August 27th
    Yasso 800s session, total miles 13.04
    45 minutes Pilates
    One of the advantages of not following a training plan means I can pick and choose sessions. My next race is the Athlone Full marathon on Sept 14th but because I’ve taken a break over the summer I’m not racing it, I'm running it for fun:D it’s my home town and as I’m pacing DCM I’ll be upping the miles over the next few weeks anyway so it’s a win win situation. I’m hoping to run in or around 3.30 without taking too much out of me so I approached this session with that in mind. I had previously read about the magical Yasso 800s*(see excerpt below, taken from McMillanrunning.com) and while there isn’t that much (if any) science to back up the theory behind this workout I thought I’d give it a shot. I’m disastrous when it comes to counting reps etc so I took the easy option and programmed my Garmin so that all I had to do was hit start when I headed out the door and stop when I got home again. I ran the reps at The National Beer Mile Stadium, (Home of Krusty the Clown:rolleyes:) so after a nice easy warmup of 2.73 miles I settled in on the track. 2 things to note; the Garmin was set-up to run 10 X 800M with 3.20 seconds rest in between and I had no idea what pace I was running, I knew the results wouldn't be exact as the Garmin isn’t infallible but it meant I could switch off mentally and simply follow instructions. I ran each rep at a pace that I felt was comfortably hard and finished each one feeling good. Even if this workout was of no use to me physically I’m sure it was of use mentally; after about the 4th rep I wasn’t really enjoying myself. Luckily I was joined by 2 different runners for a few reps at the beginning and the end so it was fun chasing them. The occasional dog wandered onto the track to make it interesting but other than that it was just me and the pile of garbage somebody had left on the football pitch in the middle of the track. I couldn’t remember whether I was supposed to have active recovery or rest so I jogged for all the recovery reps except the last one where I walked. I was very happy to hear the beep, beep, beep signalling the end of my last rep and after a nice cooldown run home I was excited to see what my Garmin said (who said running isn’t fun?;)).
    Spilts for 800s
    3.39(missed the beep telling me to start cos I was watching a cute dog:o)
    :D Tune in on September 14th to see if Burt Yasso's predictions about Marthastew are correct:D

*Yasso 800s

The third prediction workout comes from the folks at Runner's World and is called Yasso 800s. Like the fast finish long run, I recommend that you read the detailed article on the Runner's World website (link below) for complete information on how to run the workout.
    The theory behind Yasso 800s is that your time in minutes and seconds for a workout of 10 times 800 meters (two laps of the track) with equal recovery time is the same as the hours and minutes of your marathon time. For example, if you can run 10 times 800 meters in three minutes and 20 seconds with three minutes and 20 seconds recovery, then this predicts that you can run three hours and 20 minutes for your marathon. Run 2:40 for the 800s and you can run 2:40 for the marathon.
    My experience, though, is that Yasso 800s predicts about five minutes too fast for most marathoners. Using the example above, my experience has been that 10 times 800 meters in 3:20 with 3:20 recovery yields closer to a 3:25 marathon for most competitive runners. Because this workout is easy to do, I try to include it two or three times in a marathon training cycle. It not only provides a good predictor of marathon pace but allows you to chart your increasing fitness - a big confidence builder.
    I typically use all three of these predictor workouts with each marathoner I coach and recommend that you do the same. These three workouts give you a great overview of your total capabilities - your endurance and durability (fast finish long run), your ability to run fast for a long period of time (long distance race) and your aerobic capacity (Yasso 800s). Taken together, I find them to be very, very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Good to hear from you RK:) I'm delighted to be getting back to myself fitness-wise and the summer has been wonderful
    You certainly sound like you are well and truely back :) Athlone will be a breeze, and the DCM 4hr gang will be in safe hands with you pacing them.
    Any more pacing gigs for you? How is your training going? I presume you're doing DCM? you recovered very well after London and are in great shape, hope to catch up with you again soon

No pacing gigs at the moment, trying to keep on track for DCM. Thought I had recovered well after London, but I had a really bad couple of months in June & July, every run I did was a pure slog, and it did cross my mind that this running lark wasn't for me. Thankfully, I seemed to have found the love again, and the last few weeks are going good.

Oh and don't take this personally, but I don't want to see you on the morning of 28th October ;)
    I'll be very happy to see you later in McGrattans though :D

*Yasso 800s

The third prediction workout comes from the folks at Runner's World and is called Yasso 800s. Like the fast finish long run, I recommend that you read the detailed article on the Runner's World website (link below) for complete information on how to run the workout.
    The theory behind Yasso 800s is that your time in minutes and seconds for a workout of 10 times 800 meters (two laps of the track) with equal recovery time is the same as the hours and minutes of your marathon time. For example, if you can run 10 times 800 meters in three minutes and 20 seconds with three minutes and 20 seconds recovery, then this predicts that you can run three hours and 20 minutes for your marathon. Run 2:40 for the 800s and you can run 2:40 for the marathon.
    My experience, though, is that Yasso 800s predicts about five minutes too fast for most marathoners. Using the example above, my experience has been that 10 times 800 meters in 3:20 with 3:20 recovery yields closer to a 3:25 marathon for most competitive runners. Because this workout is easy to do, I try to include it two or three times in a marathon training cycle. It not only provides a good predictor of marathon pace but allows you to chart your increasing fitness - a big confidence builder.
    I typically use all three of these predictor workouts with each marathoner I coach and recommend that you do the same. These three workouts give you a great overview of your total capabilities - your endurance and durability (fast finish long run), your ability to run fast for a long period of time (long distance race) and your aerobic capacity (Yasso 800s). Taken together, I find them to be very, very accurate.

I've heard of Yasso's 800s before but never got around to trying it. I might give it a go. just upped the intervals to 600m this week (but not consistant times) so should I build up to 10x800 via a 6x800 one week and an 8x800 the next week before unleashing a 10x800 (or would 3 weeks of 800m intervals be a bit hard on the legs and have an easier interval session every 2nd week?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It’s been a while since I’ve written a race report so I’ve overindulged a little. If you’re not in the mood for waffles then the bold print will fill you in:)

What a report, and what a race. Kudos. And well done especially on leaving the mysterious friend in the dust on the final straight.

Advertisement