Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesters first Marathon & HIM attempt's.

Options
  • 04-01-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

As the heading says i will be attempting my first marathon in Connemara and hopefully will move on to Triathlon season and attempt a half Iron Man. Most probably the one in Swinford at the end of July. So i've Decided to keep all my training in a log and feel it would be great to look back over and also get some advice.

So a bit of background.

Decided to give Triathlon a go last April so trained for the Super Sprint in Athy. Great fun and fell in love with it, but most of all i fell in love with running so decided to do the Dublin Race Series. Did a 12 week training Programme for the Half Marathon and completed it in 1.44.37 i was very happy. Back in June i had contemplated doing the Marathon but somone on here advised against it and said to get a bit of running under my belt first which was some of the best advice i ever received. Did a few more Duathlons and Triathlons also throughout the summer.

I've gone from 18 stone at the start of last year to 15 1/2 now, i feel i can get myself down to 14 - 14 1/2 for the Marathon so thats another small target. I'm 6'3 by the way.

So time to kick on and hopefully this will is a great year for me. I'm currently on my 6th week of a training Programme and start back swimming this week after a months break.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nice one Jester, I did something similar in 2010, Connemara and then Swinford - make sure to not think the running is sorted after Connemara as it came back and bit me in the ass, you need to keep it going.

I will be doing Swinford myself so I will keep an eye on this log

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Thanks Catweaze, have a decent half Ironman Programme that's supposed to start the week after Connemara, but ill obvioulsy have to rest up a bit. How long did you take off before beginning training for Swinford?

Well have given up the booze for a while, wouldnt drink that much anyway but said i'd come off it for a while. Day 2 and Liverpool are on TV, would have loved a bottle :D

Monday 2nd
    Decent start to the week with a 10 k paced run, felt good and strong and was good to sweat out all the New Years booze.

Tuesday 3rd
    First day back in work, pain in the hoop and all i wanted was to hit the sofa when i got home about 7.00 but went out for a 8 k run, slow enough but that was the plan.

Wednesday 04th
    Another 8 k today and did a paced run again. No complaints.

jester1980 wrote: »
    Thanks Catweaze, have a decent half Ironman Programme that's supposed to start the week after Connemara, but ill obvioulsy have to rest up a bit. How long did you take off before beginning training for Swinford?

I took Shag all time off if I remember - but what I did was concentrate on the swimming and cycling that I had been neglecting up till then. I stayed away from the running for ages and I got caught on the day - however getting too excited and going too hard on the bike in Swinford was my main mistake i had nothing left for the run.

Thursday 05th

Running
    Had hoped to get a quick 5k in before my swim session but was quite late getting out of work so just went straight to the gym and to the treadmill, i havent used a treadmill since April when i started running and now i remember why, i hate the bloody things, got 2.5k in at strong pace.

Swimming
    Swim Fit class started back tonight, has been off for two weeks and i missed this two week previously also, i do this class Tuesday and Thursdays for 45 mins in a 20 Metre Pool.

6 Lths Warm up - 2 front, 2 back, 2 Br Stroke.
    6 Lths Pace
    12 (6*2) Sprints with 20 second rest. 40 secs max target.
    6 Lths leg work only with float, (This killed me last night for some reason)
    6 Lths Front Crawl Arms only.
    12 (6*2) Sprint Races
    2 Lth Cool down.

FRIDAY 06/01
    Rest Day - YAYYYYYYYYY

• Advertisement

Sat 07th
    Running
    Long run day today and the program had a nice short one so 14.5 km done at mid pace. Wife came with me and cycled beside me which was nice for a bit of company.

Sunday 08th
    Bit of a disaster this morning, had planned on a nice 30 km cycle this morning and i'm usually very well organised but i never checked the tyres and they were flat enough as have not cycled for a few weeks, went to pump them up and the pump was broke, "Are you kidding me", how does a pump break. Had missed the spin class in the gym by 20mins too so went running instead.

Running
    Nice 10 k run with a bit of pace, nice and cool out.

Swimming
    Still easing myself back into the swimming so nothing to difficult.
    Warm Up - 5 * 20 Freestyle - 100 m
    Build Up - 1 *20 Breath left, 1 * 20 breath right, repeat 5 times - 200 m
    Core - 6 * 100 m, rest 20 secs - 600 m
    Warm Down - 5 * 20 Freestyle Push & Glide, rest 10 secs - 100 m
    Total 1000 m

Good week in running with 53 km done, my most since began running last April, feel good as well which helps. Eased back into swimming and will be back in the flow next week with two swim fit classes and 2 of my own sessions. No cycling done so will sort that next week.

To keep track on my weight i decided to weigh myslef every Monday, have done lots of excercise last week and really tried to eat very Healthy so was expectingto shed a few xmas pounds but was better than i could have imagined.

WEIGHT IN
    02nd Jan - 15.8
    09th Jan - 15.3
    Loss 5 Pounds

So great start to the week gave me an extra spring in my step and moves me closer to my goal to be under 14.7 for Connemara.

RUNNING
    Week 7 of my programme and all is going well, i should have ran 203 KM in 6 weeks and i've done 196.5 so very happy with that. 12 weeks to go so the next 10 weeks i plan on doing a bit of hill work. Up to Howth last night and parked in Sutton Cross and ran to the summit and then back down through Howth town before back to Sutton Cross. All in was 10.5 KM. Really enjoyed it and was my favorite run in the last 6 weeks, Hills were not too bad and had no difficulty with them, obvioulsy alot easier doing the hills in a run like that then 38km into a marathon.

Running
    Just an 8k done tonight, nothing too fast, got awful stitches during the run for the first time ever so hopefully that was a once off.

Swimming
    Swim Fit class tonight, about 1000m done, 40 % of the class was leg work which was tough going and then another 40 % was short sprints with 10 seconds rest. Was knackered after it.

Took the plunge and joined Fingal Tri club this week so have my first session with them tonight, running session so looking forward to it while a bit nervous also.

First night with the new tri club and have to say i really enjoyed it, last night was just the run training. Wont be able to cycle with them this weekend so will hopefully get out the weekend after.

Running
    2.5 k - 3 k Warm Up
    25 mins of Sprint drills uphill (Have not done anything like this in a hell of a long time, was tough enough but felt like i did okay)
    2.5 k - 3 k Warm Down.

All in all was an enjoyable night and was nice to run with other people, looking forward to next week already.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shaviebeby

Hi Jester, what training programme are you using? Do you recommend speed sessions over shorter distances, ie 800 m timed?

• Advertisement

Hi, i'm using the Hal Higdon Novice 2 programme. His site is fantastic and he has prgogramme's catering for everything and every level. I'm defo not the right person to advise you on speed sessions as the one i did on Wednesday with the Tri club was my first ever. But they are defo needed and i really want to improve my 5k and 10 k times for Triathlons.

Stick a post in the general ATR section and people will give you better advice than me. What race are you doing?

Thursday 12th

Cycle
    Finally got back on the bike tonight, didn't have much time as had swim training at 7.15 so did a nice 15KM spin, have to say really enjoyed it but it's been well too long. Will go out this Sunday for a longer spin and then going forward from Sat week ill be cycling with the tri club so will move my long slow weekend run to the Sunday.

Swim
    Bit of a boring class tonight, 5 min warm up and then 15 mins working on Breast Stoke technique and speed, then 15 mins on back stroke speed and technique as well. That left 10 mins for Front Stoke and just a speed session trying to get as many lengths in as possible. Hope to do a long session one of the days the weekend and maybe if i have time fit in a speed session as well.

Friday 13th - REST DAY

Sat 14th

Running
    My long slow run today and it was the longest run i've ever done, was a little nervous (stupidly) but all went great. Run was 22.5 km and went up to the phoenix park and did the half marathon route with an added 1.5 km at the end. Wife came cycling with me to keep me company while i ran which was nice. Needed a change from the roads around Swords / Malahide so thought it would be nice to change the scenery. Up to 24.5 km next week which should be fine as felt still had a bit in the tank.

Sun 15th

Cycling
    Went cycling with the brother today, will go with the Tri club next weekend. Did 40 km and went through Skerries and up the famous Black hills for the first time. Felt alot more tired finishing the 40 km on the bike than i did yesterday after the run, really need to put more time into the cycling if i'm to attempt a half Iron Man, first thing that went through my head when finishing was i'm attempting a HIM and it's way out of my league. Will see how things go over the next few weeks.

Swimming
    Back to the pool in the afternoon, and had a really good swim.
    200 M Warm Up, front, breast and back.
    200 M - 5*20m Front with 1 min rest and another 5*20m 1 min rest
    1000 M - 50 lengths Front
    100 M cool down, front and breast

Was very happy with the swim and was just what i needed after the cycle i suppose, I feel my swim fitness is back to where it was in November before the December break so it's onwards and upwards now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Just read through your log, i'm coming from a similar place weight wise and if I can get down to a 'fighting' weight of 15.5st I'll be very happy. Only an inch taller than you and 2 st at the moment.

On the cycling front, just keep at it and add to the km week by week. Plan the route so you can add on extra km if you feel up to it too.

I think it's much easier to add km's to cycling than running but might be worth not venturing too much outside of 10% extra per week.

My brother in law is in Fingal Tri Club but I don't think he's ever ventrued out with 'The herd'.

Cheers for the post, going to go out cycling with the Herd this Saturday and see how it goes. Hopefully it doesnt take too much out of me the day before my long run (24.5k) but im sure ill be fine. Going to try get two small cycles in a a week as well and may start cycling to work once a week on my rest day(36km there and back), just go at a leisurley pace. So i defo have time to fix the cycling and build up some confidence.

No weight change today, trained more and ate the same as last week when i lost 5 pounds but no change.

Running
    Had a little niggle in my leg above the ankle yesterday, but felt like it was okay and wouldn't affect my running, just thought it was from cycling and swimming on Sunday. Went to Howth again and parked at Sutton and ran to the Summit and back down through Howth town on the other side, 10.5km in distance and felt the improvement from last week already. Lots of stretching after and by the time i got home the leg was very sore, iced it up and put various creams on, still sore today but feel like it will pass so will just take a rest day today so i wont miss run training with the tri club tomorrow, supposed to have an 8km tonight and swim fit so will move the 8km to Friday. Fingers crossed the leg feels better tomorrow.

As i only started running and Tri last year every race was a PB as only raced each distance once.

5 K - 23.25 May 11
    5 M - 39.1 July 11
    10 k - None
    10 M - 1.21.21 Aug 11
    HM - 1.44.37 Sept 11
    FM - CONN 2012

Tri Sprint - 1.21.31 July 11
    Aquathlon - 35.42 June 11

What i'd like from this year would be to hit under 21 mins on 5k, doubt i'm too far from that at present.

Would love to break 1.15 on tri sprint, swimming and running have got much better so this is achievable.

Lastly hope to do Dublin Marathon as well as Conn and would love to break 4 hours on one of them.

All has been going so well in my marathon programme and then i decide to get back to the cycling and i pick up a little knock. Leg is still a little sore today but is getting better. Tried running on it last night just a tiny distance and felt it would do no good to go running with the tri club as was a little painful. Main focus is to have it back in good nick for the LSR this weekend which is 24km.

The one good thing i can take from this is the change in myself the last year, the knock has me utterly bored and feeling down because i can't go out and excercise, be it run, swim or cycle. This time last year would have been the other way round and would have being feeling down knowing i had to get myself to the gym. So very happy the way things have changed in a year.

Good half marathon time, deffo shows you can get under 4 hours if you have the training in - Conn will be a lot harder than Dublin. But if you get close in Conn you will break 4 in Dublin

Cheers, suprised myself with that time, when startng out the 12 week training programme for the Half I would have been happy with 2 hours. I've stuck to the new Training programme like glue the last 8 weeks so hopefully it will stand me in good order. Main thing is to finish my first one in one piece i suppose. Really looking forward to the buzz of the whole weekend.

• Advertisement

Have been doing by brains in the last few days not being able to train so come Friday evening i felt the leg was alot better and decided to go and do some training.

Friday 20th

Running
    Just did a very slow 5KM to make sure the leg was better, went well so full steam ahead again.

Swimming
    Straight up to the pool after the run and while swimming i found out how i hurt my leg last week, while tumble turning after a length and kicking away from the wall the leg got sore and realised this was what caused the niggle so have to be careful doing this going forward, crazy or what. Good session last night and felt had more in me, longest swim to date i think.

Warm up (400m) - 60 M Front, 40 mixed, 60 Front, 40 mixed and 200 front, 30 secs rest between each set.

Build Set (300m) - 5 * 60M fc - 30 secs rest between each set

Main Set (1000m) - 100 M, 200 M, 400M, 200M, 100M again with 30 seconds between each set.

Cool Down (300m) - 5* 60 M FC slow strokes working on technique and breathing.

Total 2000M

Saturday 21st

Running - Up to the phoneix park today for my 24km. Slow run at 9 1/2 min miles, from about 10 miles on i struggled this week, had pains everywhere and head wasn't in it at all, second time this has happened to me, other time was half way through my HM programme last year so hopefully thats it over, stupidly and carelessly i drank no water on sat morning and forgot to bring water with me so this prob didnt help as am used to needing water at about 10 miles. Main thing is the niggle is gone and didnt miss too much running this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Best of luck jester, I have similar times as you so will watch for your conn run with interest. Cork will be my first marathon in june

Running
    Just 5 miles tonight but done at pace and ran at 7.45 Mile pace which was decent enough for me

Swimming
    Similar set to the othe night but a little less distance.

Warm up (400m) - 60 M Front, 40 mixed, 60 Front, 40 mixed and 200 front, 30 secs rest between each set.

Build Set (300m) - 5 * 60M fc - 30 secs rest between each set

Main Set (800m) - 100 M, 200 M, 400M, 100M again with 30 seconds between each set.

Cool Down (100m) - 5*20 M FC slow strokes working on technique and breathing.

Total 1600M

Running
    Back up to Howth for my weekly 10.5K hill run, checked the hill earlier on map my run and it seems a little bigger than Conn which is good, hopefully Conn doesn't shock me now knowing that. Run took bang on an hour. 30 mins to the top and then 12 mins down the other side before 18 mins flat loop back to other side.

Swimming
    Swim fit class tonight and had a stand in trainer for the week so was nice to do some different workouts.

Warm up - 6 Front, 4 back, 4 breast 280 M
    Leg Work - Holding a board the whole time, 6 front leg, 6 back legs, 6 breast legs, 6 dolphin kicks 480 M
    Arms - Float in between legs 6 front, 6 back and 6 breast 360 M
    Class finished here
    Continued on myself with 20 lengths front 400 M
    Warm Down - 4 slow front 80 M
    Total 1600M

Happy with two decent days in a row there, run training with Tri club tonight.

Wed - Run training with the Tri club, only about 2.5 KM run, rest of the class was all circuits, was very tough, alot of squats involved and really felt it Thursday.

Thursday - Rest Day - Went for a meal and a drink with the wife as I have been very good in Jan :)

Friday - Brick session, Did 20 km on the bike and then straight off into a 5 km run, run was about 2 mins slower than me running a normal 5 k at speed so wasnt too bad. Legs felt stiff after though.

Went out to the NAC today to use the 50 M pool for the first time but they said it was only 25 M pool for a few days so gave it a miss, will swim in my local place the weekend and hopefully hit the NAC next Fri again.

Long run today and was a half marathon, went to the phoneix park and did the half marathon route backwards. Ran it very well and ran it in 1.50 so just over 5 mins slower than my half time, prob a bit fast but felt i was going slow enough and was comfortable. Tried a gel for the first time today and took it with about 5 miles to go, not sure how it worked. But finished strong and felt i had alot in the tank which was good compared to last weeks slow Run.

Sunday - Swimming

WUP 60 FC, 100 FC, 40 FC, 100 MIXED, 200 FC
    BUILD - 5*60 FC
    MAIN - 12*100 FC
    CD - 5*20 FC

2100 M

Monday - Got home late from work and had no motivation to do anything at all, needed a goot kick up the hole really but collapsed on the sofa for the night.

What started out as a bad week on Monday quickly improved.

Weigh in today and was 15'1 so down 2 pounds. 7 pounds lost in Jan so, thought would be more but trying to get towards my goal of under 14 '7 is harder than i thought.

Tuesday RUN
    Weekly hill of Howth 10.5 km Run, went with a friend and we went a good clip and finished in 55 mins which was 4 mins faster than my faster time, usually go slow on my own but was nice to try the hills at a fast pace.

Tues Swimming
    Got up before Swim Fit to get some extra lenths in.
    100 M -20 FC, 20 BR, 20FC, 20 BR, 20 FR
    400 M - 4 * 100 M 20 secs rest
    Swim Fit
    240 M Warm up - 80 Front, 80 Back, 80 Breast
    960 M Main - 8 * 120 M Front, 30 secs rest
    120 m - 3 * 40 M sprints

Just over 1800 M total

Wednesday
    Running with tri club, LSR of 8 km

Thursday Running
    8KM fast pace of just under 8 minute miles

Thursday Swimming
    Swim Fit
    240 M Warm up - 80 Front, 80 Back, 80 Breast
    240 M Front - Arms only float betwen legs
    120 M Back - Arms only float betwen legs
    120 M - 3 * 40 M sprints
    120 M - Front legs only holding Board
    80 M - Breast stroke legs only.

Just over 900 M total

Cramped up to bits during last set, had to drag myself out of the pool.

Running - 197.5 KM
    Swimming - 14.7 KM
    Cycling - 75 KM (OH DEAR)

• Advertisement

Sat - Woke up today and the leg was a little sore where i cramped up in swimming on Thursday, so instead of doing my LSR i went for a cycle instead and did 27.5 KM. Nice route from Swords to Baldoyle and then back through Portmarnock and Malahide.

Sun - Felt much better today. LSR was 27.5 KM this week so parked at the inlaws house in Clontarf and ran from the Yacht in CLontarf to the Summit up the Sutton side and then back the Howth side, wanted to see how hills went when running for a bit already instead of starting on a hill. So went fine, went trhough a hell of alot of water. Pace was 5 1/5 min per KM.

Up to the pub after for the match and a coke.

Advertisement