Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about time - IMAT12

Options
  • 10-10-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Iron Man Austria 1st July 2012

This log will be about time -
    In particular it'll be a reflection of my attempt at juggling Family time and Work Time and trying to make the most effective use of Training Time while aiming for my first Iron Distance Triathlon.
    It's also about other time issues - this time in my life, my target finishing time and about hopefully finally sticking to a 'proper' Tri training routine but mostly about time management.

A bit of background:
    Age 43, working on various projects that involve at least one trip per week to either Dublin, Carlow, Wexford, Tipperary or Kerry. These impact on my training as they're irregular and tire me out with driving, long hours, etc. I started doing Triathlons in 2009 with the Hell of the West (Oly) and Lost Sheep (HIM). I did them both again in 2010 and 2011 and my tri benchmark level for those who know those events is approx 3hrs/6hrs respectively. That means I won't be going to Kona anytime soon! Hopefully though it might indicate my IM range as 12-13:xx. (I also did DCM10 in 3:44)
    Married to MrsB who works p/t and does a bit of running herself, 3 active Kids aged 5-11 who're also active in GAA Football, Camogie, Hurling, Swimming, Athletics and Hockey as well as other afterschool activities such as Choir, French, Cubs and Piano! A very busy house at times as homework, food, gear, training, etc gets sorted.

I intend following the Don Fink Iron Fit Competive Schedule which is a 30 week plan. Its to start in December but I'll be logging my lead in here with his off season sessions too. The first 10 (Base) weeks involve 6-11 hours training per week which hopefully should be time managed ok. The next 10 (Build) weeks involve 11-16 hours p.w. which may make for a difficult time management period in the early part of 2012 but hopefully can be squeezed into that 'quieter' part of the year. Its the final 10 (Peak) weeks involving 16-20 hours p.w. where I expect it to get very challanging as Family life gets busier from April - June. Family life has to come first so my plan is that whatever time I put into Training, I put at least TWICE as much into Family life and that time has to be very visible and useful. I may have to limit my hours in the Peak phase and if so I anticipate following the Fink Intermediate Schedule if it comes to it. As this log progresses I expect that energy management will also become an issue and proper eating and rest habits become crucial. I typically don't get enough sleep and tend to drive on until I'm wrecked and then am forced to rest leading to bad training. Hopefully my focus on time management will improve that situation. Swimming would be my weakest discipline but that's relative as I'm not great on the cycle or run either :rolleyes:. While I'd have come from a running jogging background I'd usually be under pressure by the time I got to the run stage and struggle. I'd particularly like to be able to do a decent run off the bike as I regularly drop back in that area.

So, the nitty gritty - what finishing time are we talking about here?

Well in time honoured fashion I'm going to aim 'high' and set out my stall as follows:

Swim: 1:20
    T1: 0:10
    Cycle: 6:15
    T2: 0:10
    Run: 4:35
    Total: 12:30

Those splits are all ambitious for me but are doable with the proper training. I know they're not at the pointy end but given my time, energy and physical constraints these would be the best I believe I could do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I look forward to reading this, hopefully I'll be starting my IM training this time next year and it'll be good to observe/learn from others who are aiming for their first IM like yourself and Oryx.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I knew I spotted a steely determination in your eyes down in the Crescent on saturday :D

I disagree with your swim split - with a bit of time put into it and your usual raised swim level on the big days I reckon you will be closer to 1.10 than 1.20.

Good luck - I look forward to the once monthly monster updates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck RedB i will be interested in following your progress through the year although make sure you update more than once a month though:)

On the time management and the training/family/work juggling act it certainly is doable even in the peak phase. Just focus on good sleeps and early morning sessions when the family are still in their beds as it works a treat:)

I would say you could easily take 10 minutes straight off your transitions times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Nice one Red - looking forward to the log!

In terms of the DF program, I was generally trying to follow the time guidelines of the Intermediate program and mentally, it was more rewarding to be a little ahead, than constantly missing the time targets for the Comp level.

If you do end up doing the comp level of training, you'll make a mockery of your 12.30 target...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great stuff Redmond. Is this speculative or did approval land ? I'm looking forward to finally making one of the club races. Should be great craic altogether :) I've this one bookmarked beside Oryx's to follow ;)

Best of luck with the journey and I hope to catch up with you on a few cycles over the winter. Feel free to drop me a line anytime as I used DF's competitive plan up to March this year. With the posse training for this though I suspect those target splits will fall well within your zone soon enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good man RedB. Enjoy the journey. Be warned - IM's are addictive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I look forward to reading this, hopefully I'll be starting my IM training this time next year and it'll be good to observe/learn from others who are aiming for their first IM like yourself and Oryx.

Thanks although I plan on following the other IM logs (especially Oryx's :D) to observe / learn the nitty gritty of how its done. The schedule is one thing, but the time and energy management is the foundation for making it happen.
    catweazle wrote: »
    I disagree with your swim split - with a bit of time put into it and your usual raised swim level on the big days I reckon you will be closer to 1.10 than 1.20.

Good luck - I look forward to the once monthly monster updates!

It'll be trade off of time input versus return that I'll be keeping an eye on. Hopefully I can get into a suitable group as MCOS's fishes scare the bejaysus out of me! I need to get my swim fitness waaaaay up before I dip my toes anywhere near those lanes :)

Hopefully the updates will be at least weekly but Boards time will be part of my own 'reward' time management structure :p
    Best of luck RedB i will be interested in following your progress through the year although make sure you update more than once a month though:)

On the time management and the training/family/work juggling act it certainly is doable even in the peak phase. Just focus on good sleeps and early morning sessions when the family are still in their beds as it works a treat:)

I would say you could easily take 10 minutes straight off your transitions times!!

Cheers JB - I've been lurking on your log for a while and figure you've got more things to juggle than I have so what's my excuse! Good sleeps and early mornings will definitely be key issues for me so I'm looking forward to following your example.

The transition times might have a few minutes of padding in them alright but not 10! I'm coming off a 6hr+ HIM so I can't imagine shaving much more time off the bottom line. The make up may vary but I can't see the bottom line shifting down much at this stage. However, I'll no doubt be reviewing the numbers again over the next several months.
    Izoard wrote: »
    Nice one Red - looking forward to the log!

In terms of the DF program, I was generally trying to follow the time guidelines of the Intermediate program and mentally, it was more rewarding to be a little ahead, than constantly missing the time targets for the Comp level.

If you do end up doing the comp level of training, you'll make a mockery of your 12.30 target...:)

My initial limiter is the time. If the time management for the Comp Program doesn't happen consistently then I'll have to jump to the Intermediate program early rather than playing catchup for weeks. I'm aiming high now on the time input but hopefully throughout the schedule I'll develop the necessary habits, routines, etc to squeeze the most from the time I do have.
    Great stuff Redmond. Is this speculative or did approval land ? I'm looking forward to finally making one of the club races. Should be great craic altogether :) I've this one bookmarked beside Oryx's to follow ;)

Best of luck with the journey and I hope to catch up with you on a few cycles over the winter. Feel free to drop me a line anytime as I used DF's competitive plan up to March this year. With the posse training for this though I suspect those target splits will fall well within your zone soon enough...

Being honest - approval is a touchy subject. Lets just say I've my entry in and am taking it from there :) This is a big thing for me but I have to be able to carry other loads as well. Its a matter of priorities and I'll just do the best I can.

Worst case scenario - I don't go or its a painfest on the day struggling to break 15hrs :( Either way I'm going to give it my best shot and enjoy the process as much as possible :) I know there are those here who wouldn't do this unless they could give it a guaranteed 100%. But if its a choice between giving it 75% or not doing it, well, I'm still going to go for it as much as I can.

For others info - there's a group of approx 30 signed up from Limerick Tri Club for IMAT12 as a club race. That posse has a lot of front (incl MCOS) and mid-pack people but I'll be chasing that pack and there may be a few others with me. If I can make those splits I'll be happy! One step at a time ;) Looking forward to the journey :D
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Good man RedB. Enjoy the journey. Be warned - IM's are addictive!
    see above :) I've a VERY strong feeling this will be my one shot for the foreseeable future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck RedB, looking forward to reading this log.

Just getting back into training again after a few weeks off. I cracked open my elbow during my last event and it took over 3 weeks to close up so I did no swimming in that time. I took the last 2 weeks of September off completely and did a small bit of running and cycling in the first week of October (2 x 8.5km runs, 1x31km cycle, 1 x 1:40 Turbo session during Ire v Wales Rugby match :rolleyes:). Last week I tried following Finks off season maintenance programme but didn't hit it fully. The plan was 2 swims, 2 cycles, 2 runs and 2 x weights. The reality was 1 swim, 1 cycle, 3 runs and 2 x weights

w/c 10th October|Plan|Actual|Metrics|Comment
    Mon|Rest|0:45 Run|8.3km, 43:10, 5:12/km|Post work run
    Tues|0:45 Run|0:25 Swim + 0:20 Weights|500m+300m, 3/4 set|Eve - struggle, time constained
    Wed|0:30 Swim + 0:30 Weights|Rest - Travel to Dublin||Early start
    Thurs|0:45 Cycle 100+RPM|1:00 Run|10.95km, 57:38, 5:15km|Nice aero run
    Fri|0:30 Swim + 0:30 Weights|1:00 Weights|2 sets of 12 reps|Post work - elbow sore, time const'd
    Sat|2:00 Cycle|1:15 Run|14.53km, 1:15:09, 5:10/km|Nice aero run. 12 x5:16/km, 2.5 x 4:35/km
    Sun|1:00 Run|2:20 Cycle|62.37km, 2:22:12, 26.3kph,128bpm|My limit - Newport Rear Cross Figure 8

The week started out ok but I had to juggle the plan around a bit as I was travelling on Wednesday and to suit life. I got squeezed for time on Tues and Fri evenings which shows me that its not good to put sessions into those slots. It was my first time doing weights in the gym so I was mainly just figuring out where and what the machines were and how to use them properly and my swimming was incredibly bad. I intended to do more of it on Friday but had to bail out to help get a birthday party organised for Sat when I got a call. The elbow was really sore after the weights though so I may adjust the sets to suit. I go cycling with a few local lads whenever I can and Sunday morning suited best to meet them so I did the long run Sat. However I only intended to go for an hour but my loop was too long and I had to hammer it home to get ready for the party. The long cycle was just enough as I wasn't able to keep up with the 2 others, one who has just come back from 4 days cycling in the the Alps with Alp D'Huez as a 'highlight'.

Overall I'm happy with my first week of 'basic' training but there's a long way to go to beat this body and schedule into shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

We're both doing Austria then with MCOS, you can rein back that time in to sub 12 no problem I'd safely say.

These IM's are certainly addictive BE WARNED once you start theres no turning back.

Have to get my on log started once DCM is out of the picture, then its try and catch MCOS time :D

Look forward to following your progress

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I've only spotted this now. Good luck with your training which I will be watching closely!

handangeo wrote: »
    Have to get my on log started once DCM is out of the picture, then its try and catch MCOS time :D

Now there's a log I'm looking forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Now there's a log I'm looking forward to!

Your just going to laugh at my swimming or lack thereof :D

Last week I again tried following Finks off season maintenance programme but AGAIN didn't hit it fully :(. The plan was 2 swims, 2 cycles, 2 runs and 2 x weights. The reality was 2 swims, 1 cycle, 2 runs and 2 x weights. This log is my attempt to keep myself honest to a training plan and I need to toe the line better as time management is key to my IM goal at this stage. I'm a bit sloppy regarding scheduling of training sessions and I need to get my act together in that regard. If I can't manage it for a maintenance programme then I'm screwed when the main programme starts :o.

I missed a 45min cycle on a day when I had to travel with work but I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't factor that travel into the plan better and work around it. I could have resheduled the plan for the week and made it a rest day or knocked it out very early that morning but I had told myself that I'd do it when I got home that evening. The reality for me is that I can't put in a long day at work and then disappear from family life for a session that evening. Evening sessions will be scarce on the ground so it'll be mainly mornings from now on to ensure I make the session. The flip side of that is that I'm going to have to improve my evening family routine so that I literally 'get my house in order', sort out the domestic stuff, spend time with the family and get to bed at a proper time. Adequate sleep and recovery time will be very important so I'll have to try to work on the time management of that side of things also. I need to get better at 'lining up my ducks' :rolleyes: so that they can be knocked down more efficiently :). Now I just need to throw in a bit about 'moving forward' and I can get Business Jargon Bingo Card finished :D. The good news was I learned my lesson and was able to do my Friday session before travelling with Work

w/c 17th October|Plan|Actual|Metrics|Comment
    Mon|Rest|Rest||
    Tues|0:45 Run|0:45 Run|8.48km, 45:01, 5:18/km, 150bpm|AM run, minor hills
    Wed|0:30 Swim + 0:30 Weights|0:25 Swim + 0:25 Weights |1000m straight, 2 x 12 sets|Mainly leg weight pre swim
    Thurs|0:45 Cycle 100+RPM|Rest - Travel to Dublin|:(|
    Fri|0:30 Swim + 0:30 Weights|0:30 Swim + 0:25 Weights|2 sets of 12 reps|1000m split due to lane traffic
    Sat|2:00 Cycle|1:00 Run|12km, 1:00:27, 5:02/km, 149bpm|Ran at 150bpm limit
    Sun|1:00 Run|2:30 Cycle|Turbo x 2|50min Russ Pryamids x 2sets Max HR 151, 1:40 at 201Watts avg, 29.9kph, 115-132bpm

Apart from the missed session it was a good week. The week again started out ok but I had to juggle the plan around a bit at the weekend. Swims were poor but improving. I'm getting up to speed doing light weights in the gym but I avoided any arm work as my right elbow is still painful. The local cycle lads cancelled our Sat spin due to the heavy rain so I did my run Sat pm instead and did the Turbo on Sun am. I was very satisfied with the weekend sessions as I feel I had definite goals for the sessions and I hit them. I wanted to run at upper Z2 pace which I estimated at 150bpm and I bounced roughly around that in a controlled way coming in on 149bpm at an ok pace for me of 5:02/km. We had another birthday party Sat so it was a busy day and it was actually a bit awkward even getting out for the hour but I had my slot booked :). I got up early Sun morning and did one of Catweazles recommeded 50min Russian Pryamids on the Turbo which I enjoyed the challange of. Due to the hairdryer-like noise associated with that I was hiding in the Conservatory so as not to wake the house but I moved into the Kitchen then to watch the Rugby World Cup final and did another 100mins holding a target of 200watts. It was handy for the first half hour but then I had to concentrate a bit more for the next half hour as the quads started to feel it. For the last 40 mins the HR was rising slowly and I had to really concentrate on the display every half minute or I'd find myself drifting off the pace easily and have to spurt back. Came out at as 201 Watts average which is pretty poor I know but its a baseline to work from :p.
    While reasonably satisfied with myself I did notice that I was tired and cranky the rest of the day so I need to work a bit more on proper rest and nuitrition to try and sort that out :o. I had a good sleep last night and feel better today but I'm really concious of bad habits in that regard that need sorting.

Overall I'm happy with my second week of 'basic' training but need to work a bit more on my time management.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Am having similar time issues and like you I know its going to get worse. If you crack how to do it, please share :)

The plan and the reality was 2 swims, 2 cycles, 2 runs and 2 x weights so I'm reasonably happy that I generally stuck to the schedule and got all my sessions in.

w/c 24th October|Plan|Actual|Metrics|Comment
    Mon|Rest|0:45 Run|0:45 Run 8.5km?, 45:35, 149bpm|Kept it at top end of Z2
    Tues|0:45 Run|Rest||Travel to Dublin with work
    Wed|0:30 Swim + 0:30 Weights|0:27:15 Swim + 0:25 Weights |1100m straight, 2 x 12 sets|Mainly leg weight pre swim
    Thurs|0:45 Cycle 100+RPM|0:50 Russian Pyramid Turbo Avg 128bpm, Max 156||
    Fri|0:30 Swim + 0:30 Weights|0:30 Swim + 0:25 Weights|6 x 200m on 5mins. in on 4:25-4:45|Tough going :o
    Sat|2:00 Cycle|1:00 Run|11.86km, 1:00:43, 5:07/km, 146bpm|Ran at 150bpm target. Heavy legs.
    Sun|1:00 Run|2:00 Cycle|210Watts avg, 31kph|62km Turbo|

The week started out by juggling my rest day to facilitate a work travel day but generally kept to plan apart from the weekend where I again altered the run/cycle days. Swims were still poor but definitely improving. I'm up to speed doing light weights in the gym but I avoided any arm work as my right elbow is still painful. I woke early Sat morning and just did my run before anyone awoke and then did the Turbo on Sun am. I was again very satisfied with the weekend sessions as I feel I had definite goals for the sessions and I hit them. I again wanted to run at upper Z2 pace but it felt tougher this week with heavy and tight legs. I targeted an average of 210watts for my 2 hour turbo and hit that solidly. No major problems and was cruising nicely throughout. No TV or music so did some visualisation and pictured myself in Austria for 2 hours :o.

Overall I'm happy with my third week of 'basic' training but need to start upping the weekly hours now.

Hey Red, good work. Is that the Flow you are using? If so, set the brake to +1. I did all of my turbo on zero last winter and looking back it was all a bit easy. +1 simulates the road better. You heading out to the dinner on the 19th?

I started off last weeks training with great intentions but they rapidly backfired on me slightly :o. I had to drive to Dublin Tuesday morning so I decided to HTFU and get my 45min run in beforehand a la good examples set by JB, MCOS, etc. The problem was that I has a horrendous nights sleep the night before wakening every hour because I was anxious to ensure I didn't sleep in :(. I was all set for the run when it came to get up at 5:30am but I was knackered later in the day with the lack of proper sleep and had a splitting headache driving back from Dublin that evening. I was zonked on Wednesday also and cut short my swim session when I had half an excuse (got busted by MrsB on way into pool when she was dropping No 1 to Athletics training. Volunteered to bring No 1 home when she was ready so only had time for Weights and a bit of a swim. My heart wasn't in it). Looking back now it seems like only a wobble but I was disheartened from Tues am until Thurs pm when I got back on track with a decent brick session and the rest of the week was grand.

My elbow is still injured so I'm avoiding any arm weights. It feels like tendon damage but is recovering slowly from a bike fall over 7 weeks ago. I'm slightly concerned it'll affect my swimming but it hasn't bothered me yet in the pool.

The brother was in the US for 2 weeks so I arranged to ship some stuff from Amazon to him and avail of cheap prices and delivery ;). I picked up a Swimsense watch, a set of paddles for my Tri Club sessions, a Garmin bike mount, a copy of Going Long and an Ipod Shuffle which is now dedicated to the IMTalk podcast for those work travel hours :).

w/c 31st October|Plan|Actual|Metrics|Comment
    Mon|Rest|Rest||
    Tues|0:45 Run|0:45 Run|9.09km, 47:10, 5:11/km 147bpm|6am run pre-travel to Dublin with work
    Wed|0:30 Swim + 0:30 Weights|0:15 Swim :( + 0:25 Weights |4 x 100m straight, 2 x 12 sets|Didn't want to know about the swim :o
    Thurs|0:45 Cycle 100+RPM|Brick 0:50 Russian Pyramid Turbo plus 2M run|Bike Avg 136bpm, Max 161, Run 3.27km, 16:15, 4:58/km, 146bpm| Daddy's home! :D
    Fri|0:30 Swim + 0:30 Weights|0:40 Swim :) + 0:25 Weights|400m WU 9:32, 27 Strokes per 50m Lenght, 6x100m on 2:30. in on 2:09-2:19, 2x200m on 5:00, in on 4:50-4:52, 100m WD 2:32|Tough going for the second half :o
    Sat|2:00 Cycle|2:00 Cycle|58km?, 2:10?, 26.75kph?|Garmin battery died. Broadford with neighbours. Nice spin but cool
    Sun|1:00 Run|1:00 Run|11.45km, 1:00:02, 5:14/km, 144bpm|V. Cold night run. Tired for last 25mins.|

Did a good bit of housey stuff over the weekend and was sneezing like a mad thing yesterday due to a dust allergy :o. Tried running it off last night but the head is still bunged up this am and the noise is running like a tap. Just in time for my Tri Club swim sessions which are starting this evening and I'm slightly dreading! I feel 'out of my depth' in terms of pace and distances involved but its time to get stuck in :). Babysitter arranged for the next 7 weeks as MrsB is doing a course so no backing out. BTW MrsB has been doing a few of the UL Boat Club Winter Series Runs on Thurs evenings. She's feeling the better of it and is aiming to do the Great Limerick Run Half Marathon in May. Positive vibes in the house on the exercise front at the moment as the kids are all go too with their own stuff :). I'll probably target that HM myself as well as the North Tipp Sprint and Tri an Mhi HIM as I probably need a few intermediate goals along the way. I'm also thinking about the Ballycotton 10M again but only if I can give it a decent lash and target sub 70. That's a fair jump from my 2009 PB of 78:00 (?) but I'm also dreaming about a sub 40 10km which is also a far cry from my 2009 PB of 43:50(?) (Must recheck those times). I figure I'm going to be doing the bulk of the base training anyway so hopefully it'll be no harm to try to stretch those PBs also.

Overall I'm happy with my fourth week of 'basic' training despite the sleep wobble and I feel ready to progress. I'm going to start my 'proper' base training this week as I want to give myself a few weeks 'float' so its about to get a bit more interesting :D
    Hey Red, good work. Is that the Flow you are using? If so, set the brake to +1. I did all of my turbo on zero last winter and looking back it was all a bit easy. +1 simulates the road better. You heading out to the dinner on the 19th?

Won't make the 19th as I'll be on the tear the week before and the week after and I couldn't hack 3 weeks in a row :D. Thanks for the +1 Turbo tip on the Flow. That definitely helped extend the sweat lake! The calibration needs looking at also as I usually just jump straight into a workout. Time to RTFM :)

My first week of semi-official IM training started with more of a whimper than a bang as I was smothered with a head cold and then had a hectic work week with 4 days on the road followed by an overlong bike ride meaning I didn't even get to complete the easiest schedule of the plan :(. I was drained by the end of the week and coming out with coldsores, mouth ulcers, headaches and even pains in my teeth from tiredness. Not a good week but not a bad week either :rolleyes:. I did manage to get some stuff done but it just wasn't when or what I had originally planned.

w/c 7th November|Plan|Actual|Metrics|Comment
    Mon|Rest|1:00 Tri Swim Session|400m WU, 1000M TT 24:42 2:21/100m,27strokes/L, 2.6s/stroke,1.8m/stroke|Felt like I had only 1 lung :(
    Tues|1:00 Swim 0:30 Run|Rest||Headcold. Travel to Carlow with work
    Wed|0:45 Brick|0:45 Run|8.89km, 45:54, 5:09/km 149bpm|AM run pre-travel to Kerry with work
    Thurs|1:00 Swim 0:30 Cycle 100+RPM|0:35 Swim|1300m straight 32:26, 2:29/100m, 29strokes/L, 2.6s/stroke,1.7m/stroke| AM swim pre-travel to Wexford with work
    Fri|0:30 Run|Rest||Rundown :o. Travel to Dublin with work.
    Sat|1:00 Cycle|4:23 Cycle :eek:|113km, 21kph and 27.6kph|Keepers Hill, Tulla, Feakle with neighbours. Nice spin but too long. Underestimated the distance out.
    Sun|1:00 Run|Rest :o|||

Plan 6 hours. Actual 6:45

I had intended going for a run on Sunday AM but I was at the Munster match on Sat night and was out for the evening resulting in a no-show for the run :(. I did go for a hike Sunday afternoon up part of Keeper Hill with the cubs but its not the same :p. What I did think I learned this week related to mental toughness and pushing myself beyond my comfort zone though you mightn't think it to look at the table. It was a tough work and health week but I clawed as much out of it as I could without whilst trying to keep it sustainable. It wasn't pretty but I made the most out of it. I got to listen to plenty of Kona Super Special IMTalk Podcasts and broke in my swimsense watch so more numbers to crunch in future :). Only 4 sessions :eek: but I made them count. Its got to get better!

Hey Red, quick question about that swimsense. You are recording circa 27-29 strokes per length. Is that per length of UL? 27-29 strokes per 50m is very very efficient swimming but considering the pace is 2:29/100m you are either gliding for nearly 3 seconds each stroke or recording a stroke with both your left and right arm as one stroke? :confused: Just wondering as it takes me about 38 strokes to cover the 50m in UL

• Advertisement

Hey Red, quick question about that swimsense. You are recording circa 27-29 strokes per length. Is that per length of UL? 27-29 strokes per 50m is very very efficient swimming but considering the pace is 2:29/100m you are either gliding for nearly 3 seconds each stroke or recording a stroke with both your left and right arm as one stroke? :confused: Just wondering as it takes me about 38 strokes to cover the 50m in UL

Its per length of UL but its counting them as cycles (of 1 arm) rather than strokes (each arm) :rolleyes:. I had to dig into the manual to confirm that "Stroke Count represents the number of strokes taken by the arm wearing the Swimsense™ device." It does do the calcs based on the pool length and Stroke Count (2:29/100m, 29strokes/L, 2.6s/stroke, 1.7m/stroke). I was wondering if I was efficient there for a few minutes as I do tend to overglide and have a slow stroke rate but alas that just means I'm slow! :) Much much much more pool time needed.

Got most stuff done but again it just wasn't when or what I had originally planned.

w/c 14th November|Plan|Actual|Metrics|Comment
    Mon|Rest|7km run + 1:00 Tri Swim Session|Run 7.15km 36:51, 5:09/km, 150bpm. Swim 300m WU, 300m? Drills, 6 x 100M off 2:30? |Lunchtime run. Dodgy swim stats.
    Tues|1:00 Swim 0:30 Run|13km run|1:09, 5:19/km, 139bpm|Overnight travel to Dublin with work. Ran with work buddy aft work.
    Wed|0:45 Brick|Rest||Travel back from Dublin and to Ennis rtn
    Thurs|1:00 Swim 0:30 Cycle 100+RPM|0:40 Swim|1500m straight 37:55, 2:31/100m, 28strokes/L| Elbow not getting better :(
    Fri|0:30 Run|0:45 Brick|30min holding 175W, 15min run at 5:00/km|10pm. Struggle on 2nd half of run :o
    Sat|1:30 Cycle|1:00 Run|11.67km, 5:09/km|Bit sluggish after Brick
    Sun|1:00 Run|2:18 Cycle|69.1km, 30kph, Max 53.2kph|Croom Bruff Tri club cycle|

Plan 7 hours. Actual 7:30

First time out with the Tri Club cycle and I enjoyed the experience. It was easier to ride in the chain and accouted for the higher than normal average speed. I managed to stay with them for a bit when the pace picked up near the end but when the hammer went down passing Ballyneety I went flying out the back :p. Put a smile on my face when the speed hit 37kph but when it hit 47kph I pressed the Eject button and limped the last 5km home with my tail between my legs :D. We'd dropped a few others before that so I didn't feel too bad.
    Swimming is still a struggle and the elbow may need physio as the tendon/ligiment type stuff is painful during and after sessions. Ground out 1500m but got a shocking migrane like headache near the end. May be too tight goggles or hat so will sort that out.
    I'm going to have to update here more frequently as I can barely remember last Monday's swim session and am vague on what we did as a result :rolleyes:. My schedule means I don't get to do the sessions when planned but I'm still trying to squeeze them in when I get a chance.

Tri Club swim session
    300m WU - 3 x (50m fc, 50m back)
    200m drills - superman?
    3 x (2x100m on 2:40, 1x200m on 5:20)

A bit messy as different abilities in same lane. Struggled.

Mid Week update:

Mon - Tri Club pm Swim and Dublin work trip - see above
    Tues - am run - 9.47km, 48:39, 5:08/km
    Wed - am turbo - 30min at 175W Avg + 15min run (3.2km, 15:12, 4:45/km :))

My swim session was poor as I was anxious about holding up the lane and never got into a comfortable rhythm as a result plus I was hitting traffic. Quite disappointed with them so far as I don't think they're helping. I'm only feeling pressure and not enjoying it or seeing any benefit. I'm going to have to increase the frequency of swims to 3 per week if I'm to see any improvements.
    My run was comfortable but I'd like to work on form more. I think my posture is ok as I try to run 'tall' but my cadence and foot strike probably need improvement. I'll have to check out drills or other sources on those issues.
    Bike cadance and technique also needs work as the Group cycle last Sun highlighted how much better it could be. The better guys seemed to be spinning faster than I was at the same speed so I'll have to work on that also. I missed a few high rpm turbos in the last few weeks and I didn't get bothered as they were 'just' short 'easy' spins. Now I see the necessity of the high rpm side of things especially on the bricks where it carry forwards into the run. Having said that this mornings session wasn't one of those as I started easy and then had to go at 190-200W to get the average up to 175W :rolleyes:. Won't be so slow off the starting blocks next time!

The schedule got a right shake-up after some extended family medical dramas that burst on the scene last week and will be bubbling away for some time to come. Suffice to say that training is regarded as a privilege compared to what some people have to endure and is savoured even more so this week :(.

Wed 23/11 (cont'd) 1200m swim :(. I was intending a 1500m+ straight swim but got to 900m straight and then, similar to last week, a pounding headache started so I pulled up on 21:50 (2:25/100m, 26-32 Stroke Cycles / 50m). I had a looser hat and goggles than previous week so its hydration or oxygen to review next. I breath bilaterally but oxygen could be an issue over the longer distance :confused:. In races I generally don't breath bilaterally so I'm not used to it for extended periods :o. I was a bit pressed for time anyway so I finished out the set with 3 x 100m on 2:30 coming in on 2:15 and 27-28 Strokes/L.

Thurs 24/11 0:45 100+RPM am Turbo. Wasn't at all as easy as I though it would be :o. Travel with work to Wexford.

Fri 25/11 1:45 Long Turbo. I had intended a third swim today but my weekly Schedule was well shot to pieces by much more important stuff so ended up effectively doing this from 11pm-12:45am. Tried holding an average of 200W but again started slowly and played with the callibration for a few minutes so had to hammer it up to 280-290W near the end to hit it. Got there though with help from my 9year old's IPod ;). Not as bad taste in music as I'd have thought apart from too much Hanna Montana!

Sat 26/11 Rest. Got out for Munster V Edinburgh match at 8:30pm and considered ditching it for a long run but thought better of it :rolleyes:

Sun 27/11 Long Run. 12:26km, 1:04, 5:13/km. Misplaced my HR strap so no HR data. Heavy legs for the first half, tight legs for the second half. Need to do some stretching some day :).

And we're back....:D

Mon 28/11 0:30 Run at lunchtime around NCR, 5:88km, 5:06/km. Nice.

Tri club session this evening so I'll update again later with that.

I didn't make the weekly target of 8hours last week as I only got to 6.5hrs :(. I needed to get another 1:00hr run and another swim in but it just wasn't there with the week that was in it. Big picture priorities were called upon. I hope to squeeze a bit more out of this week even though its meant to be a recovery week but I don't feel I need it given last weeks low volume. I'm reading 'Going Long' and there's some good running drills that I hope to incorporate into the schedule at some stage too.
    My mindset varies these days as to how I view the IM event. Some days I'm very positive, break it down into manageable chunks and visualise myself 'warming up' in the swim, holding back on the bike and starting the race on the run. Other days I'm overwhelmed by the enormity of it all, the amount of training required, where I'm at now, what's ahead of me, etc. Most days though I just think of chipping away at a giant block of granite. Consistancy over an extended period should allow me to make the necessary inroads so I'll continue to chip away even though some days / weeks they're very small chips ;).

Tri club coached swim session 1600m
    200m wu
    2 x 50m catch up
    2 x 50m fist
    2 x 50m one arm
    5 x 200m on 5min (in on 4:21,4:39,4:40,4:51,4:47)
    26 strokes / L , 2:14/100m avg?, 26:08 total including 2:47 rest? (raw watch data. need to review)
    100m wd
    A bit of traffic again in the lane with mixed abilities but nothing too bad. Should have had another 200m but got pulled out a bit early again so masters group could do their thing without us interfering.

Tuesday 29/11 rest

Wednesday 30/11 Brick. 30min bike at 175w + 15min run at 4:51/km

Thurs 1/12 - 0:55min run
    Fri 2/12 - 0:30min Turbo 100+rpm, 0:30min swim 700m straight + 3 x 100m on 2:30, 100m WD
    Sat 3/12 - 1:00 Run 12.43km, 4:50/km. Focused on high cadance, shorter strides for first 20min but was feeling the effort as the pace was slightly faster than usual, 10 min normal cadence and then switched focus to leaning forward slightly so hips / trunk were over / in line with knees = JACKPOT. Faster pace with little additional effort, crusining along at 7:45/M pace. Sweet.
    Sun 4/12 - 1:20 Turbo. FTP Test = approx 230W (from Training with Power meter book)
    20min WU, 3 X 1 min 100pmm / 1 min recovery, 5 min easy, 5 min hard, 10min easy, 20min TT, 15min WD.
    WU at 169w average, TT at 240-245w average, WD 120w average
    FTP = 0.95 X 242w = 230W?
    Not sure about the exact calc but its some sort of baseline for the end of a 'recovery' week. Turbo setting was +1 but calibration was -2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

RedB wrote: »
    Thurs 1/12 - 0:45min run
    Fri 2/12 - 0:30min Turbo 100+rpm, 0:30min swim 700m straight + 3 x 100m on 2:30, 100m WD
    Sat 3/12 - 1:00 Run 12.43km, 4:50/km. Focused on high cadance, shorter strides for first 20min but was feeling the effort as the pace was slightly faster than usual, 10 min normal cadence and then switched focus to leaning forward slightly so hips / trunk were over / in line with knees = JACKPOT. Faster pace with little additional effort, crusining along at 7:45/M pace. Sweet.
    Sun 4/12 - 1:20 Turbo. FTP Test = approx 230W (from Training with Power meter book)
    20min WU, 3 X 1 min 100pmm / 1 min recovery, 5 min easy, 5 min hard, 10min easy, 20min TT, 15min WD.
    WU at 169w average, TT at 240-245w average, WD 120w average
    FTP = 0.95 X 242w = 230W?
    Not sure about the exact calc but its some sort of baseline for the end of a 'recovery' week. Turbo setting was +1 but calibration was -2.

If memory serves me right a minus calculation on the calibration means that the brake of the pedal has less resistance so your watts will be showing a higher number and more wattage than you are actually pushing out. Ideally a neutral or +.5 calibration would be better.
    I see from the main thread you might need to restest when you can and ideally reset/recalibrate quickly after each interval as Tunney suggests. I am sure you are glad to hear that after the pain of testing first time around;)

Advertisement