Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature programmes on the TV

Options
  • 29-05-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Interesting show about wildlife.
    Its on in the evenings on BBC2 @ 8. This series finishes on the 4th of June.

More info can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/springwatch/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Fran Costello

Did they get rid of Bill Oddie yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Did they get rid of Bill Oddie yet?
    Actually, he's currently in a psychiatric hospital suffering from severe depression.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1161119/Bill-Oddie-psychiatric-hospital-battling-bout-depression.html

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I recall the poor man's had a history of this!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's fronted by chris packham now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Fran Costello

Poor fella...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No offence to Bill as I like him ,have met him birding several times, and found him well informed but the programme is much better without him this year. Chris has a better all round knowledge and less of the childish antics. If we could get rid of Kate now the show would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they said on the show last night that the cuckoo is in decline in the uk, is that the case over here too....has anyone heard it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Yeah it's great to see Bill replaced, whatever knowledge he may have it didn't come across on the show.
    Pacman seems much better informed.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

In decline in Ireland too, unfortunately, thought to be due to too much disturbance of habitat (too many JCB's about!), also pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, fertiliser - usual thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

fryup wrote: »
    they said on the show last night that the cuckoo is in decline in the uk, is that the case over here too....has anyone heard it??

Yes have heard one quite regularly here in Wicklow, never set eyes on it tho!
    I wonder would there decline have more to do with the Reed Warbler dying out due to the fact that the cuckoo favours its nest??

• Advertisement

Yes have heard one quite regularly here in Wicklow, never set eyes on it tho!
    I wonder would there decline have more to do with the Reed Warbler dying out due to the fact that the cuckoo favours its nest??

Heard 2 this year having gone 3 years without hearing any.

The decline is not linked to Reed Warbler declines as such as in Ireland they use mainly the nests of Meadow Pipits, and Dunnocks. That said these birds are declining due to habitat loss so there is probably a link. The number of Cuckoos in France this year seems to be well improved so maybe there is hope for us here and we may just have experienced a few lean years.

If we could get rid of Kate now the show would be fantastic.

yes her "jolly hockey sticks" mannerisms are a bit grating:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Did anybody see the footage taken of a cuckoo chick in a nest. It was brilliantly filmed !

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

We have heard a cuckoo the last two sundays in roundwood no visual confirmation but i thought i heard three in different locations from where we were in the same spot.I am enjoying springwatch this time around more. Have they ever done kingfisher nesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

bogtreader wrote: »
    We have heard a cuckoo the last two sundays in roundwood no visual confirmation but i thought i heard three in different locations from where we were in the same spot.I am enjoying springwatch this time around more. Have they ever done kingfisher nesting?

No doubt you did hear the cuckoo. It's been here since March/April and should be leaving towards the end of the month.
    I was down West for the bank holiday weekend and it was going crazy in the field next to my parents house especially during the evening time. :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055543967

heard a cuckoo today in east clare:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Siobhan1234

I watched the new RTE wildlife series last night and thought it was fantastic. About time we start showcasing the amazing wildlife and people we have in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 spanner555

heard some good things about this. missed it though. anyone know if it'll be repeated, or is it possible to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

spanner555 wrote: »
    heard some good things about this. missed it though. anyone know if it'll be repeated, or is it possible to download.

RTÉ player

good show except for the annoyingly overblown narration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    RTÉ player

good show except for the annoyingly overblown narration

Nice footage but as you say the narration - so bad that I gave up after a few minutes. Thanks for the link. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Watched it on RTE player last night. Fantastic show. Great footage of the humpbacks underwater. It really made my jaw drop. And the salmon eggs hatching was brilliant.

Bring on the next episode!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 spanner555

cheers for the link.

watched it ok. pretty good alright.

I dunno about the comments about the narration, theres something about that ladys voice. its kinda sexy. really irishy connemara if you know what i mean. is she the same lady who used to do the ros na run ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Themagerleague

really enjoyed this programme

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mary234

Just watched the second show and loved it. Actually really liked the womens voice. Its refreshing to her a true Irish accent on a nature documentary.:)

I'm watching it and glad we have an Irish wildlife programme at last but that narration is dire. Her delivery is spoiling the whole thing for me. It's a combination of her accent and her tone. Dreadful.
    Some of the film clips are borrowed from other programmes I have seen elsewhere but overall the film is excellent.
    I might watch with mute and sub-titles on in future!:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was amazed to see only one cameraman credited.

would agree on the narration - it didn't ruin it on me, but it wouldn't have been out of place on the joy of (salmon) sex.

i was amazed to see only one cameraman credited...

Have a look at the sources thanked; such as BBC Archives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Siobhan1234

I thought the eels were fascinating. I lived in Galway for years and must have crossed the bridge to the Cathedral hundreds of times and never noticed the eel fishing going on below. I've found the whole series beautiful and spellbinding, nature is always such an inspiration. Isn't it amazing how much we take for granted and how little we still understand about the world around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Just watched the cliff jumping goslings - amazing stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

New series started on RTE last night. If you missed it, it's available on the RTE Player.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1072110

Apologies if already posted, couldn't find it when I searched.

Advertisement