Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Have a read of this:
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer

Save the bookmarks to html, transfer the file to your other pc on a memory stick and import. It's the same procedure to import, just select import from html.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks Steve, I will need himself to hover behind me while I try that. Much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Hello, I'm a long time lurker on this thread but this is my first time question which I hope someone can help me with.
    I've no TV so use my PC to watch everything, especially Champions League. It comes through loud and clear on TV3's player, no freezing, dropping the signal (or whatever it is) but often with RTE the picture is rubbish, it freezes, skips or disappears altogether. I tried to watch 6 Nations today on the RTE Player but had no joy whatsoever, it said 'now playing' on the web page but it certainly wasn't on my computer.
    Everything else, DVD's Youtube, Eurosport etc plays perfectly but not RTE. I think it may be their problem rather than mine ;) but why should everything else play and is there anything I can do about it? Thanks very much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

RTE spend all their money on sh!tty presenters and think the internet is 'Out to get them'. I've a top notch computer with 50mb speed upc internet and I get that crap also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Same happened me today, watched the first half in the pub and tried to watch the second half on rte player - total crap.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I was getting a bit paranoid in case my not having a TV licence might be the cause. Why should the State broadcaster have such a crappy online service when TV3 get it spot on? Broadcasting tax my :D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

There is a crowd called Aertv that stream Irish channels for free legally. You can buy a subscription also. They are the best rte streamers I've seen.

Thanks, will definitely look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi folks, hope you can help me out.
    I hung around the Technology Forums for a while, but did not post, as I did not understand a word of any of the replies, posted, and did not want to look like a total gobshyte.

Anyway, I got one of them IPad things, from Apple, I have mastered Skygo, so I am watching box sets, while herself watches " pointless"

So I have some DVD,s and I am flying to Switzerland soon, I w ant to put a film on the IPad, to watch on the plane, or in the hotel

I have managed to load up loads of music, from Cd,s but how do I get a movie onto this yoke

Cheers for any suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

martinn123 wrote: »
    Hi folks, hope you can help me out.
    I hung around the Technology Forums for a while, but did not post, as I did not understand a word of any of the replies, posted, and did not want to look like a total gobshyte.

Anyway, I got one of them IPad things, from Apple, I have mastered Skygo, so I am watching box sets, while herself watches " pointless"

So I have some DVD,s and I am flying to Switzerland soon, I w ant to put a film on the IPad, to watch on the plane, or in the hotel

I have managed to load up loads of music, from Cd,s but how do I get a movie onto this yoke

Cheers for any suggestions.

You need a piece of software called a DVD ripper. Google 'DVD ripper' and pick your poison.
    Any of these programs will take a DVD and give you an MP4 video file. Copy that file to your tablet and you are good to go.

• Advertisement

ken wrote: »
    There is a crowd called Aertv that stream Irish channels for free legally. You can buy a subscription also. They are the best rte streamers I've seen.

No joy there either! Just getting a black screen which according to the trouble shooting means the broadband isn't up to scratch - although I have both requirements they specify, ie continuous broadband(via Eircom landline) and 1 Mb.
    Is there anything else I can try, t'is the Champions League next week again and I get very grumpy if I can't watch it :mad:

Could someone put me straight about Linkedin please? I have three friends who are sending me regular emails asking me to 'connect'. These are three ladies in their 70's who don't have jobs or do any kind of 'professional' work. Why are they luring me into Linkedin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Could someone put me straight about Linkedin please? I have three friends who are sending me regular emails asking me to 'connect'. These are three ladies in their 70's who don't have jobs or do any kind of 'professional' work. Why are they luring me into Linkedin?

LinkedIn are terrible for this in my experience. Same thing happened to me, as in I was sending requests to everyone I ever e-mailed to "connect" with me. I must have agreed somewhere while signing up to send those out. I would be sure your friends have done something similar without noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

fleabag wrote: »
    Is there anything else I can try, t'is the Champions League next week again and I get very grumpy if I can't watch it :mad:

RTE Player doesn't work for me when I use Firefox, but it works just fine when I use Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Grimebox wrote: »
    LinkedIn are terrible for this in my experience. Same thing happened to me, as in I was sending requests to everyone I ever e-mailed to "connect" with me. I must have agreed somewhere while signing up to send those out. I would be sure your friends have done something similar without noticing.

I'm actually on linkedin and find it annoying! I get emails from recruiters, inviting me to congratulate strangers on their "work anniversary"! If you ignore them, you'll get constant reminders.

Anyway, your friends aren't really sending invitations to connect. Linkedin's language is deliberately vague, encouraging unintentional and fully automatic actions. You can contact your friends through linkedin's own version of email but I'm uncomfortable using that. Sometimes, a more direct email address is included in the person's linkedin "profile".....which you can use to encourage your friends to use facepalmpagebook, or, better still, boards.ie instead!

Thanks Brens. So that's why when I asked my friends why they had sent me 'please connect' emails, they couldn't remember doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

This one is unbelievably embarrassing. I have never uploaded a photo from my phone, and wouldn't mind a quick tutorial? :o

What kind of phone is it?

Samsung Ace GT S5830i

Have you tried plugging it into your PC using the USB lead? That normally works.. all need to to is find where the photos are in explorer.

Or are you looking to do something more sinister like post it here or to bookface?

• Advertisement

In fact I haven't really tried anything. Just have to find that lead, I suppose. and no, nothing sinister.... yet! ;)

haha, try that so and let us know how you get on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

Eeden wrote: »
    This one is unbelievably embarrassing. I have never uploaded a photo from my phone, and wouldn't mind a quick tutorial? :o

If you have set up your Google account on the phone then you can configure it to automatically upload your pictures to Google+.

Go to Settings app / Accounts and Sync / Google, then check the box marked 'Sync Google+ Photos'. One you do that then next time you log in to GMail look for the Apps button and you will see an item for Photos. Your images from the phone will be there.

Ah yes, I have yet to upload photos from my fancy yancy phone. I can do it from my camera but haven't tried the phone yet. I prefer using the camera for photos. I expect its the exact same procedure anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I have dropbox installed on my phone. Whenever I connect to the wireless in my house, it automatically uploads all my pictures. This was a default setting of dropbox. Very convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭cobham

I send photos as attachents to an email even to myself then they are there in your email on main laptop and can be put somewhere else if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭cobham

Prompted by this thread I got the wee wire that came with phone and hooked it up to laptop..... yes that is way to go, now all photos are transferred and I can clear stuff off the phone to make space.

I am pleased to report that I have now managed to transfer music collection from an old MP3 mini music player onto the fancy phone using a laptop as a go between.

I have 'dropbox' on laptop... must see about putting on smartphone, something else useful for it to do :)

I think you are losing the run of yourself cobham! There is nuttin' you cannot do!! :D Good old O & O's!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Onward and upward... now with Dropbox on smartphone, it automatically saves any new photo/video. Pity I did not have that on last phone that got stolen :(

Any more clever tricks for smartphone to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Another ''Linkedin'' question.

I have about 80 '' connections'' or whatever they are called.
    usually someone in a similar occupation as myself, or an interest in my area of activity. I find it useful to read any contributions they might make, and if I have a question, I will get replies from someone in my Industry.

Anyway recently some of these Guys have been ''endorsing'' my achievements, or qualities,
    none of them, actually know me, or have seen any of my work, other than perhaps pic's on my F/B Page.

I am also getting messages from Linkedin asking me to return the favour, and endorse those among my connections.

What's this all about??

It's like a reference on a CV, from someone who does not know you.

Advertisement