Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri-ing my best...

Options
  • 20-05-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Decided to start a log here so I can review my progress over the year (or what's left of it). I do blog as well but I think me writing mainly about training on there is a little boring for my family and friends who read it :D

Over the last few years (probaly closer to 10!) I've got into a bit of a routine of putting weight on in the rugby off season, only to struggle to get fit pre season and then be off the pace for 90% of the season. I've now retired from playing so after my wife suggested it, I decided to do the Dublin Triathlon at Olympic distance. I was 19st 10lb at Christmas 2010.

January and February had me travelling a lot for work and I found training hard to fit in but I continued on and eventually did my first triathlon last weekend (Blanchardstown Sprint) and got the following result:

Swim: 18:36
    T1: 3:57
    Bike: 38:58
    T2: 2:31
    Run: 25:38
    Total: 1hr 29m 39s

I was happy with that and if I did it again tomorrow I think I could probably shave 3-4 minutes off the swim and transitions.

I've been following a plan I got in 'Triathlon Plus' which is a 3 weeks on 1 weeks recovery cycle. Roughly my current training plan is:

Mon: am - Weights, pm - Swim
    Tue: pm - Run
    Wed: am - Weights, pm - Swim
    Thu: pm Run
    Fri: Day off (sometimes pm slow swim)
    Sat: pm - Long Cycle
    Sun: pm - Bike/Run Brick

I'm now down to 18st and am looking to get down towards 17 for the Dublin City Triathlon (although from a picture I saw of myself at the Fingal tri I look more like 28st!). I'm not sure what kind of sprint times I am wanting to target for year end as I am not sure what is attainable. Probably something like:

Swim: 15 minutes
    Cycle: 35 minutes
    Run: 22 minutes

Including transitions then around 75 minutes which will be about an 8% increase on my ~90 minute time at the weekend.

I am thinking of joining a club. Either a masters swim and a cycle club or just a tri club. Main obstacle has been the places they train but theres a new club in Blanchardstown called Activ Multisport that train at the NAC/Phoenix so when they get their joining page sorted I might consider it if they are begginner friendly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Fri 20/05
    Planned: Rest Day
    Actual: Gym session and Swim

Friday is meant to be a rest day but I rarely feel like resting. I'm used to doing 5 gym sessions a week plus rugby training and matches so despite my weight I am not totally unfit and I don't feel like I'm over training. Gym session consists of a quick run to warm up and then a weights session.

Swim was just a slow 800m, 100m warm up and then 6x100 off 3mins (I know really slow but it gave me around 45 seconds rest!) and then a 100m warm down.

Sat 21/05
    Planned: Slow 1hr cycle with the wife
    Actual: 48.69km - 1:52:06 - http://runkeeper.com/user/couerdelion/activity/36340909

I had decided not to bother training today as my wife decided to go shopping instead and I was gardening. Felt a bit guilty though so decided to go out for a spin and get some miles in my legs. I had done a route a few weeks ago from Tyrellstown down to Ratoath across to Dunshaughlin then on to Clonnee and back to Tyrellstown. This time I did the same but added in a lap of the industrial estate via Cappagh and Hollystown.

The weather was terrible and I was soaked. The wind was pretty strong and although it helped on the way out the two thirds after Ratoath were horrible and really brought my speed down. I was faster than two weeks ago but only by an average of 1 second per km. Still I rode further and quicker so I'm improving :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Swim: 18:36
    T1: 3:57
    Bike: 38:58
    T2: 2:31
    Run: 25:38
    Total: 1hr 29m 39s

Besides seeing transition times which are worse then mine they aren't bad times at all, particularly the bike! I am guessing wioth those times while you are 18+ stone you are 6 foot+ and not a prop forward. Good luck with the log

Two loggers on here are in that club Macanri and El Director (might be a boards record for clubs so pm them for info)

catweazle wrote: »
    Besides seeing transition times which are worse then mine they aren't bad times at all, particularly the bike! I am guessing wioth those times while you are 18+ stone you are 6 foot+ and not a prop forward. Good luck with the log

Thanks and yes I'm 6ft 4in, a prop in Rugby League but second row / back row in Union.
    catweazle wrote: »
    Two loggers on here are in that club Macanri and El Director (might be a boards record for clubs so pm them for info)
    I probably will, I've read El Directors blog and he's pretty fast!

Sun 22/05
    Planned: Easy Cycle/Run Brick Session with the wife.
    Actual: Cycle: 22.23km - 42:33 - http://runkeeper.com/user/couerdelion/activity/36462009
    Run 5.52km - 32:14 - http://runkeeper.com/user/couerdelion/activity/36467547

I was up early enough this morning for a game of golf. My worst game of the year and I probably racked up extra milage zig-zagging around the course. I got back and decided to get out before the weather turned bad. My wife bailed on me again and tried to cajole me into having a lazy afternoon watching TV. I'm made of sterner stuff these days though so off I went...

I decided to cycle to Ratoath and back, via Kilbride, taking in some of the Fingal SPrint Tri course. Legs were a little sore from yesterday but I still went at it full blast and set a PB for the distance averaging 31.34kmh.

The run I decided to take easy, perhaps a little bit too much, and finished it averaging 5.50 min kms. I was cramping quite a bit in my left hamstring at the end. I think this was down to the long walk playing golf and poor nutrition this morning. Still another brick done and a PB in the cycling. Weigh in tomorrow and hopefully a loss. I had a sneaky look today and I saw 17 on the scales for the first time in a few years :D

Mon 23/05
    Planned: Gym Session and Swim
    Actual: Gym session and Swim

Gone back to a high intensity interval training routine in the gym. I was given it by a rugby league conditioning coach a couple of years ago and its meant to help me burn fat. It basically consists of three tri-sets with no rests in between sets. HIIT Day One looks like this:

(3x12)
    Machine Leg Extensions
    Lat Pulldowns
    Bicep Curls

(3x12)
    Machine Leg Curl
    Seated Row
    Bicep Concentration Curls

(3x12)
    Machine Leg Press
    Pullovers
    Bicep Hammer Curls

I then finished off with swiss ball curls (2x30) and boxer curls (2x20). I would normally add in woodchoppers but both cable machines were being used and it was not possible to jump in.

Swimming this evening was about trying to improve my technique and not worrying about speed. I was able to get down to 20 strokes per 25m length and the slower pace made it easier to get my breathing effortless. 1000m done and I feel I've made a small improvement. One thing I hate about swimming though is how I always seem to get water in my ear and can't clear it out. Most annoying!

Woke up late this morning so will weigh in tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Keep it going man !

I'm planning to do a half marathon on June 26th so gonna try and do 9 to 10 miles tonight to gauge how i am on that distance !

Weights are something i'm going to have to start to look at. I'm in for a transfer in work to another town so i'm holding off in case that goes ahead and i can join a gym there.

Tue 24/05
    Planned: 45 min interval run
    Actual: Cycle: 45 min interval run

Easy enough run to be honest. I use an app on the iphone called "lolo treadmill" which takes a bit of guess work out of it for me. Basically it gives me a graph showing speeds and then talks me through (annpying american femal voice) the settings from a 5 minute warm at say 9.0kmh upto a final 2 minutes at 13.6kmh.

I recently updated it and she spent most of the time telling me to keep my core tight today and to relax my shoulders.:rolleyes: The only slight problem is that it gives the speed in mph and I have to convert in my head to kmh. I always round up too so I work harder than I need to.

Any way including my warm-up I managed to complete over 8k and hit the 8k mark in 43.26 and burnt 1000kcal, although you never know how acurate the machines are.

I'm doing an 8km race in June so I would hope to hit around the 40 minute mark for that this year. Running is one part sat the moment that I cannot see much improvement in but to be honest I haven't been looking to set fast times each run.

Full Race Schedule for the year (so far) is:

15th May - Fingal Triathlon (Sprint) - 1:29:38
    04th June - Tri-Athy (Super Sprint) - Entered
    21st June - Dublin Docklands Run (8km) - Entered
    26th June - Skerries Triathlon (Sprint) - Entered
    16th July - Muckno Mania (Sprint) - Entered
    31st July - Rosses Point Triathlon (Sprint) - Entered
    14th August - Tri the Lough (Sprint)
    20th August - Frank Duffy 10 miler (Road Race) - Entered
    28th August - Dublin City Triathlon (Olympic) - Entered

Keep it going man !

I'm planning to do a half marathon on June 26th so gonna try and do 9 to 10 miles tonight to gauge how i am on that distance !

Weights are something i'm going to have to start to look at. I'm in for a transfer in work to another town so i'm holding off in case that goes ahead and i can join a gym there.

A half marathon is still way off for me at the moment. I aren't sure I'd have the patience to run for that long :D Just booked the 10 miler today and have said I'll run it with a lad from work. Only aiming for 9 minute mile pace but even that seems like a long time.

I enjoy doing weights and it means I get to the gym every day. This is good if only because it means I only have time to grab a wrap for my lunch and therefore stop myself eating crap..

A half marathon is still way off for me at the moment. I aren't sure I'd have the patience to run for that long :D Just booked the 10 miler today and have said I'll run it with a lad from work. Only aiming for 9 minute mile pace but even that seems like a long time.

I enjoy doing weights and it means I get to the gym every day. This is good if only because it means I only have time to grab a wrap for my lunch and therefore stop myself eating crap..

I'm doing that 10 miler myself ans the 5 a few weeks later. 9 min mile pace would be perfect for me.

I enjoy the long slow runs, great for clearing the head. I just don't enjoy the gym at all so the idea of doing a weights session is hell for me, but it will have to be done.

My fastest 8KM was 43:30 last yr, i'd love to get below it this yr.......sub 40 is dream land stuff for me currently.

Wed 25/05
    Actual: Gym session - Swim missed due to injury.

Another high intensity interval training routine in the gym for day two of the programme.Day one was Legs, Back & Bicep, Day two is Chest, Shoulders & Triceps. HIIT Day Two looks like this:

(3x12)
    Chest Press
    Shoulder Press
    Tricep Machine Pushes

(3x12)
    Dumbell Press
    Shoulder Raises
    Tricep Cable Pulldowns

(3x12)
    Pullovers
    Barbell Raise
    Tricep Dips

I've reduced the weights quite a bit from what I used to be lifting but am still finding it challenging enough. Reason for the reduction is that I don't need to carry the mass I did when playing rugby (although a lot of that is probably fat :o ). Difficult enough session today.

I've strained a muscle/ trappeda nerve in my back/neck/shoulders and I was in a bit of pain last night. It's been ongoing for a week or so but hasn't really affected me till yesterday, because of this I missed out my ab excercises (neck strain) and decided to give swimming a miss tonight to help it fix. It kind of feels like my heads too heavy for my body!

I'm pretty fed up to have missed a session already but I will be back into it tomorrow and I'll make Fridays swim a little bit longer. I hate missing swim sessions as its the discipline I really need to work on the most. Talking of which I might have decided to join Activ Multisport Club. There next swim coaching block starts 6th June and there the most local club to me (NAC/Phoenix park). Just waiting for a bit more info before finally commiting.

• Advertisement

I'm doing that 10 miler myself ans the 5 a few weeks later. 9 min mile pace would be perfect for me.

I enjoy the long slow runs, great for clearing the head. I just don't enjoy the gym at all so the idea of doing a weights session is hell for me, but it will have to be done.

My fastest 8KM was 43:30 last yr, i'd love to get below it this yr.......sub 40 is dream land stuff for me currently.

More than welcome to join us at that pace if you like. I can't promise even splits or anything like it though :D

My outside runs to date have been below that kind of pace except when I have competition. So in the Tri I was only just off 5 min km pace and training last week when another runner crossed the road going at a faster pace I was bang on 5 min km as I overtook her andtried to leave her behind. She stuck with me for 3km! Competitve me?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

I hate missing swim sessions as its the discipline I really need to work on the most. Talking of which I might have decided to join Activ Multisport Club. There next swim coaching block starts 6th June and there the most local club to me (NAC/Phoenix park). Just waiting for a bit more info before finally commiting.

Hey, good stuff couer...
    There is also a group swim session on a Thurs morning in the NAC @ 06:30. 50m format.
    Hope you decide to join us! Happy training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Hey lad, I read this in the 1st tri 2011 thread:
    Next up I'm doing the try-a-tri at Athy.

A couple of reasons for the shorter event... Brother in laws first event and he's just learnt how to swim, my first time swimming in a wetsuit, and my wife is doing the Ladies Mini Marathon on the Monday so doesn't want to do a sprint on the Sunday and I can't really justify a trip on the Saturday for her and one on the Sunday for me.

Just to let you know that there are a few heads from Activ Multisport doing this. If you want to say hi to a few of them drop them a line throught the web site or their facebook page. I won't be there myself as I'll be on my 2 week summer holiday.

Well done on your first tri - Fingal - nice racing. And all the best for Athy.

Macanri wrote: »
    Hey lad, I read this in the 1st tri 2011 thread:

Just to let you know that there are a few heads from Activ Multisport doing this. If you want to say hi to a few of them drop them a line throught the web site or their facebook page. I won't be there myself as I'll be on my 2 week summer holiday.

Well done on your first tri - Fingal - nice racing. And all the best for Athy.

I'll be on the mic all weekend so remind me closer and i'll give them a shout out when they go through transition !

Macanri wrote: »
    Hey, good stuff couer...
    There is also a group swim session on a Thurs morning in the NAC @ 06:30. 50m format.
    Hope you decide to join us! Happy training.

I saw that alright but at the moment I can't see my self getting up at those kind of times.:eek: Good luck to those who do though! I'll hopefully have a met a few of you before Athy so will say hello if anyone is around on the Saturday.

Tue 24/05
    Planned: 1 hour run
    Actual: 1 hour run

Well the idea behind this was to see if I was in shape to hit my 40 minute target for the 8km dockland run. I reckoned if I could run an hour at the pace then the 40 minutes would seem easy when I come to race it.

I set the treadmill to a 0.5 gradient (I don't usually bother with a gradient) and off I went. I hit the 8km mark at 39:23, the 10km mark at 49:09 and then ran the hour out to finish with just over 12km on the clock. My longest run this year and happy to know that I can do that kind of pace easily enough. When I say easy I don't mean I could have done it 1km faster or anything, more that although my mind wanted to quit my body was fine and even though I set a small incline it was still the fastest time I've ran 8km or 10km.

It wasn't all plain sailing though. I've someone managed to get chaffing injuries on one thigh and on the back of one arm. A mixture of sweat and seams I'm assuming. :mad:

Fri 27/05
    Actual: Gym session - Swim missed due to injury.

Another high intensity interval training routine in the gym and another swim missed due to injury. Neck back was feeling ok till I got in the car when a pain shot across it. Decided to give it more rest. The gym work doesn't seem to be affecting it.

Sat 28/05
    Planned: 2 hour cycle
    Actual: 2 hour 37 cycle - http://runkeeper.com/user/couerdelion/activity/37214707

Long cycle day to get miles in the legs (longest one so far!). Played golf this morning out at Knightsbrook - long course especially in the wind. Didn' get back till well after 3pm. Brother in law had said he fancied a long cycle so he met up with me at mine and off we went. Usual route from Tyrrelstown out to Ratoath and on to Dunshaughlin, took a detour here out on the new road and then turn back to Dublin via Batterstown. Once I got to Clonnee I left the brother in law who was tired enough and headed to Leixlip then onto Lucan and on towards Strawberry beds. For some strange reason I decided to head up Somerton Lane to Castleknock. Man it was tough! Finally made it home after 2:37 and an average speed of 25:52 which I was happy enough with considering the wind, my longest ride by 18km and how slowly I climbed Somerton lane :D

Sun 29/05
    Planned: Easy recovery cycle
    Actual: 53 minute cycle / 24km

Usual route just to ease my legs out and burn a bit of fat. The wind seemed to be blowing in my face both ways which wasn't good and I felt like I had a lack of strength in my legs in some parts. Not sure if that was the effects of yesterdays cycle or getting up and going straight out without any food. Easy enough pace at ~27kmh

Doing well man,

I was in Athy yesterday at the swimming event. Good flow on the river so that should help you and its all down stream !

I think i'll just do sprint in Dublin as my swimming is bad and to be honest i don't think i could hack 1500 with half it up stream.

Winds are meant to die down later in the week so i hope to actaully use this new bike:D

• Advertisement

Doing well man,

I was in Athy yesterday at the swimming event. Good flow on the river so that should help you and its all down stream !

I think i'll just do sprint in Dublin as my swimming is bad and to be honest i don't think i could hack 1500 with half it up stream.

Winds are meant to die down later in the week so i hope to actaully use this new bike:D

Looking forward to trying the wetsuit out. Yeah, 1500m in the liffey isn't my idea of pleasure, I guess it's more the challenge that I'm looking forward to. I'll come and say hello in Athy. There won't be too many people aking you if you're Elvis :)

Mon 29/05
    Planned: Benchmark 5km
    Actual: Benchmark 5km

I read in the triathlete training bible about the importance of regularly measuring performance so decided that it was a good time to measure where I am at now and then conduct a monthly test. With it being a treadmill test then the weather, venue and warm-up are controlled and as I eat the same for breakfast every morning fuelling will not be different between tests. This should provide good feedback for a measure of progress.

I ran the 5km in 21 minutes 53 seconds. Speed averaged 13.7 or 4min 22 second kms. Just over a month ago this run was taking me 24:48. I reckon when I attempt this again next month, with additional weight loss I should be able to beat 21 minutes! (Fingers crossed although that is 14.3km)

Mon 29/05
    Planned: Benchmark 5km
    Actual: Benchmark 5km

I read in the triathlete training bible about the importance of regularly measuring performance so decided that it was a good time to measure where I am at now and then conduct a monthly test. With it being a treadmill test then the weather, venue and warm-up are controlled and as I eat the same for breakfast every morning fuelling will not be different between tests. This should provide good feedback for a measure of progress.

I ran the 5km in 21 minutes 53 seconds. Speed averaged 13.7 or 4min 22 second kms. Just over a month ago this run was taking me 24:48. I reckon when I attempt this again next month, with additional weight loss I should be able to beat 21 minutes! (Fingers crossed although that is 14.3km)

Your starting to annoy me:D

Tue 31/05
    Planned: 60 min run
    Actual: HIIT Wieghts session / tag rugby training

I was hoping to get a long run in but as soon as I started it just didn't feel right. My shorts were riding me and the seam was rubbing against my legs. Decided to scrap it and do weights instead: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps and then took a tag rugby training session later on, I didn't do that much running really as I was coaching but it kept me active. Hopefully I'll get the run in today instead...

Wed 01/06
    Planned: Long Run (rearranged from yesterday) and Swim
    Actual: Long Run and Swim

1 hour run at an easy 11.5km (5.13min km) speed.
    Was really tired after this and even contemplated going to bed when I got home and missing swimming.

I didn't though and still went for the swim, having to dodge a couple of people who decided to use the lane as a paddling pool sat on the edge dipping their feet. Concentrated on stroke rate and technique.

Thu 02/06
    Planned: HIIT Weights
    Actual: HIIT Weights and Run

Legs/Back/Biceps day in the gym and then decided to do a slow run. Started off at 10kmh (6min km) then added 0.1 to the speed every minute finshing at 21 mins and 12 kmh (5 min km) Felt really easy although that;'s because it is :D

No training tomorrow. Going to make sure I take my day off. Starting to feel tired and then have a race Saturday, just a try a tri at Athy. Just treating it as a training session. Possibly a long ride Sunday. Thinking of doing the An Post Meath Heritage Cycle in July... hmmmm what distance?...

Well after Thursday's post about feeling tired I came down with a bad sore throat and sinus infection Friday and almost decided to take sick time. Luckily I felt slightly better Saturday so decided to do Triathy as I had entered it.

I was enterd in the try a tri as it was my first open water swim and only my secind tri. After the briefing we had to walk to the start line and somehow I ended up being given the Bolivian flag to carry in the parade behind a pipe band. One thing I willl mention, loads of signs welcoming visitors from every country (Phillipines, Poland, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland... every county from the registration list that had entered except mine. The queen was over last month surely england isn't still a dirty word!).

Anyways, first open water swim. I found it really hard to put my head under the water as I could see nothing. Ended up moving my head side to side every stroke. Finished in 6:37 but felt dizzy going through T1 and sat down to remove wetsuit and put cycle shoes on. T1 ended up being 2:44.

Cycling was good. I powered it and completed in 31:55. Now, it was meant to be 13.6km but I do not believe that as my 31:55 time would work out as 47 min 20km which is rubbish. I was riding much faster than that according to my speedo and I didn't get overtaken at all.

T2 was slow. Took me an age to remove cycle shoes and put runners on: 2:12.

Run was ok. Was hard for the first 1-2km running up the hill but along the river I settled and ended uo sprinting for the line in a race with a girl I had overtaken 100m prior. We crossed together and I offered her my hand and congratulated her on the race. Run time 18:40.

Total time was 1:02:12 which was 4th in my age group and 29th overall. I'm very happy with that although I was hoping to beat 1 hour.

Must say hello to Elvis too who did a great job MC ing the event and was a firm disciplinarian of the tranasition area, in his own words... "If Fiana Fail was in power and Hitler was in charge I would be Hitlers number two!"

Sun 05/06
    Planned: 50 km cycle
    Actual: 46km cycle - http://runkeeper.com/user/couerdelion/activity/38202200

Tyrrelstown --> Clonsilla --> Lucan (loop) --> Clonee --> Ratoath --> Tyrrelstown.

Was going to go out by myself for an easy cycleto spin the legs out but after a last minute text I met up with the brother in law 7km in. I think he felt he had something to prove after I beat him in the tri on Saturday, as he pushed the pace most of the way round and I just hung on. I had nothing in the tank and the legs were dead. I pushed it every now and again if I felt he was slacking (didn't want to look like I was weak :-) !)Probably didn't help only having a slice of toast that morning. Average was about 28 kmh on cycle computer as it excluding stop waiting for Bro-in-law

Mon 06/06
    Planned: 10 km run
    Actual: 10.8km cycle - http://runkeeper.com/user/couerdelion/activity/38341860

Ballycoolin Industrial Estate loop. The wife had gone out to do the Mini Marathon so I had to make sure I did something. Set my phone to let me know how I was faring against 5:45 pace. Pretty much kept to it all the way round slowing down when the lady in the phone told me I was running too fast. First run I have felt really comfortable on and not felt like I was running out of energy. I could have run for ever at that pace. Probably need to up it a little next time.

Thu 02/06
    Planned: HIIT Weights
    Actual: HIIT Weights

Legs/Back/Biceps day in the gym.

After doing the womens mini marathon race yesterday and checking her diary the mrs decided that the Dunshaughlin 10k would be her next 10km. I agreed to do it and entered online after she told me we had nothing on that weekend. I've since realised I am doing the skerries sprint tri the day after. Ah well, Skerries is only a 'C' race that I entered to give my brother in law a bit of moral support. It'll be a busy week with the Docklands run only 3 days before :eek:

Fly out to Sardinia tomorrow for 5 days. There will be no training planned as I will be indulging in the local food, wine and beer with a mate (wife couldn't get time off :D). I like to think of it as resetting my body so it no longer thinks it's in starvation mode. my wife calls it binge drinking... :D

• Advertisement

Enjoy the few days off and it all begins again on the June 14th !

Advertisement