Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little bit of everything, just faster

Options
  • 26-04-2011 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

About time I started a log. Been reading lots of training logs and the advice contained within is great.

My background is I started running about 2 years ago. Did DCM09 and while it was good, I wrecked myself getting around in over 4 hours 10 mins. 2010 did a few multisport races and IMRA Leinster league. Built up a solid base and remained injury free which was great.

So 2011 and I want to see some improvements. I'm a bit all over the place in terms of targets for the year and straddling the multisport/marathon/triathlon line. Mainly I'm just enjoying my running and cycling and choose events based on location and general funness. I kicked off the year with Art O'Neill hybrid, great craic and hope to run the full course next year.

I haven't run any standard distance races since Great Ireland run in 2009 so plan to start putting some PBs down starting over the next two months with attempts of a sub 19 5km and sub 40 10km. Top 50 for Gaelforce and Achill Roar would be superb and then see about DCM in October.

My cycling is pretty poor so that'll be something I plan to focus on.

Also hoping to do an Olympic Distance Triathlon at some stage but sure see how it goes. :pac:

Monday
    Quick 6km. Was feeling bloated from a weekend of good food, wine and beer in Galway. Came home and keen to get some form of exercise but not wishing to miss final of Masterchef.

Average pace was 4.30 per km but 2km of that was at 3.50 pace with the remaining 4km around 4.50 pace

Tuesday
    31km cycle at average speed of 30.8km per hour
    Cycled around the phoenix park. Did the route of upcoming duathlon series in the park. Found it tough to keep the speed up and was tiring by end of third lap. After the 3 laps, did two bigger loop of the park. Was pleasantly surprised that I managed to keep speed over 30kms.

Anyway, looking forward to talking nonsense with some of you as well as looking on jealously at some serious impressive training logs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Wednesday 28-4

IMRA Bray Head Race. 5.6km in 29 mins 30 seconds.

First Leinster League race of the year. Was a bit apphrensive about this race. Was feeling a bit sluggish and arrived to the race far too early so lots of hanging around.

Scoped out the first 1km of the run and saw the potential for a bottle neck so planned to be up front from the start. So did everyone else.

First 200 metres and I find myself behind Peter O'Farrell so knew I was going too fast but there were about 40 of us bunched tightly behind him, no-one willing to pass him.

Managed to get through the bottle neck at full tilt. From then on, it was a matter of hanging on. Popped out at the cross quick enough and struggled to get the legs turning over, the incredible views helped. I was passed by about four people between cross and trig point and back again.

Made about five places on the technical descent and in one sweet move, took about four runners at once as they chose one line and I went for the steeper section and popped out in front of them. I was knackered at this stage but the adrenalin was pumping so pushed hard to put off the chasing runners.

Lace opened just before the steps so last section was a bit hairy. Great race, top 40 finish and pleased to see that I put in about 30 seconds into those I passed on the descent.

Forgot how beautiful Bray is. Hard to believe it was April in Ireland with hundreds of hill runners under a blue sky with a few hardy souls cooling off in the sea afterwards.

Thursday 29-4

12km in 55mins. Avg 4.35

Was in two minds whether to go for a spin on the bike or run.

Originally planned to do some intervals but was feeling tired from last night and wanted to spend an hour or so in the sunshine. Opted for 12km handy run and enjoy the sunshine.

I'm crap at doing slow runs and always end up picking up the pace so it wasn't that handy in the end. I just wanted to loosen the legs up but about 7kms in I got the idea that i was just running junk miles so decided to run the last 3km at potential marathon pace to see how the legs felt. Last 3km were 4.29, 4.21 and 4.12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi nerraw I think I remember from last year that you live close to marlay. I and a couple of others will be doing reps beside the main house every Thursday at 7pm if your interested.

Cheers Woddle.

I live in city centre but might take you up on the offer, only a 30 minute cycle away.

Monday May 2
    100km cycle, average speed 25.9 kmph (moving) 1044 metres climbed.

Didn’t manage to get out for a run/cycle all weekend which is the norm but hopefully get to regularly running/cycling 6 days a week.

Wasn’t planning to do 100km but with weather in Wicklow being so nice, I ending up to doing 100km by mistake. Which was great as it was my longest cycle yet.

Headed up to The Sally Gap via Cruagh Road without much effort although the wind heading towards Glencree had the bike sideways. Decided to follow the last leg of the Wicklow War upond reaching the Gap as it was just a joy to be in the hills. Blue skies, decent roads and it all felt very effortless.

Headed towards to Drumin and then Laragh. Stopped for a quick coffee and a chocolate cake at café before realising that I had 50 odd km to cycle home rather than the 30 ish I thought.

Legs were heavy at this stage and was a hard slog until I rounded Sugar Loaf. Felt great after that until I somehow managed to cycle up Killiney hill, again by mistake. Quick lap around the block to bring me to 100km.

Not sure what the plan is for rest of the week. Considering either the duathlon in the phoenix park or Howth IMRA tomorrow. A work leaving do the same night complicates things. Will see how the legs feel.

Giving the Le Cheile 5km a go on Saturday for my first sub 20 attempt. Never ran a 5km race before so unknown territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

fair play in starting up a training log Nerraw111. You are mixing it all up with road races, IMRA races, adventure and tri - variety is the spice of life and all that!

All the best with the log, the training and you upcoming 5km race.

When I saw the title it reminded me of nomadic's log 'Tri a bit of everything' - if you can do a 'little bit of everything' and do it 'just faster' than nomadic then you will be doing well! :)

Cheers Macanri. Will see how the summer goes before settling on any particular discipline. Just enjoying have a decent fitness base to take part in such events.

Tuesday May 3
    2km WU, 4 * 1km reps with 90 second recovery, 2km WD.

Decent session last night. Fairly uneventful but doubts creeping in about sub 20 5km attempt at the weekend. Was hitting 3.45 per km without a problem, with a 3.38 thrown in for good measure. But the 90 second breaks were a big help in doing that. Stringing five consective sub 4 kilometres will be tough

Still in two minds about IMRA Howth Head tonight. It's a great work out and ideally would like to trot around it but I've found it so far impossible not to burst a gut in an IMRA race and fight for every place. ho hum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    doubts creeping in about sub 20 5km attempt at the weekend. Was hitting 3.45 per km without a problem, with a 3.38 thrown in for good measure. But the 90 second breaks were a big help in doing that. Stringing five consective sub 4 kilometres will be tough

Thats just crazy talk, keep the faith. When I ran sub 20 I used to do a similar session to yours. 5x1k at 3'50 with 2 minute recovery.

Le Cheile 5km race

Preparations for this race was nothing short of disasterous. Man flu or stomach bug on Friday had me in bits. Was in two minds about running it but woke up Sat feeling ok and figured I'd chance it. Managed to miss the train as Irish Rail decided to change the platform at the last min without telling the people who were sitting on a train on the right platform so had to get a taxi.

The plan was to run within myself, first 5km road race so it was unknown territory. Race started on time and surprisingly found myself with a decent amount of space after 200 metres. 1st km went fine and had to work to keep myself from going off too quick.

Found the uphill drag ok and made some places up. Constantly checking the garmin to keep it as close to 3.55 as possible. Started to enjoy the race around 3km as myself and another guy started to reel people in. Last km was tough and legs were getting tired. Managed to kick on the grass track and passed a few people. Finished in 19.42 for a PB with a bit left in the tank.
    My splits were a bit all over the place: 3.49, 3.56, 4.00, 3.57, 3.47.

Confident I can go quicker but yesterday was about enjoying it and banking a time. Might be something in this road racing lark after all.

Monday 16km - 88 minutes - 5.03min/km pace

Did my long run on Monday, lovely route along Clontarf, on to bull island and on to the nice trail through the dunes. Continued along to set front and finished at Sutton to get the Dart back home. First time I did a proper LSR in a while without messing around with pace. Took it easy the whole time

Wednesday IMRA Prince William

Great race. Was keen to run this as I ran it last year and it's about a year on from my first Imra race so be interested to compare races. I never feel that comfortable at a start of the race and took a while to get the legs going. Plan was to keep in touch with a group to the top but conserve something for the descent. A great descender passed me early on so decided to follow in his footsteps. Before I know it, we're steaming past runners thanks to his downhill ability. On the fireroad I thought I might be able to pass him but the finish came too quick and he was too strong. Compared to last year, I've improved by 50 odd positions. The downhill section was slightly changed so can't compare race times but I was 3 minutes quicker to the top compared to 2010 and five minutes quicker to the point where the course changed.

Thursday cycle 31km, avg speed 23.8kmph, 390metre climb

First time out on the bike in 10 days. Decided to head to Cruagh Road and cycle the lap for the Hellfire Duathlon. Took it leisurely through rush hour traffic. Still find this climb difficult despite doing it dozens of times. I decided to cycle on the second lowest gear as opposed to the lowest. Tough but was dismayed to find that when I got to the top I was actually in the lowest. Not too worried about the low avg speed as it was very stop/start to and from the hill with traffic.

Still, need to get a pair of SPD pedals. Using a crap pair of toe clips at the moment.

Plan for rest of week is some intervals this evening depending on work, either temp or cycle on Sat/Sun.
    The Hellfire Duathlon is on Tuesday. Looking forward it but the run seems relatively flat so there goes any advantage I might gain before the bike leg.

Then Powerscourt uphill the following day. Favourite race from last year.

• Advertisement

12km on Monday

Mixed it up a bit and ran 3km at 4.17 pace or thereabouts. Good session but was flagging towards the end. My first run since Wednesday. Really need to be more consistent.

Tuesday Hellfire Duathlon 4km run, 17km cycle, 2km run

Was looking forward to this race. I initially thought the 4km trail run was very flat which wasn’t ideal as I was hoping for some hills to get some time advantage on the fast bikers. As it turned out, it had a nice long uphill. Went out fairly quick and found myself in third place after 1km. Eventually the faster guys woke up and came through and I stuck with them. Made back some places on the descent. It was an easy descent so was puzzled why some people appeared to be holding back.

Got into transition in sixth place in 16.15 and was out on the bike in 20 seconds and down the fast descent. Was using toe clips so no need to change shoes. I’m not great on the bike so was happy enough to hold off people till the middle of the climb and was caught by a 3 people or so.

Started to cramp a bit at the start of the second lap and another 3 caught me which was a bit disappointing but that was down to bike fitness rather than effects of cramp. Was 16th on the bike leg. Took the start of the last 2km run handy as was still feeling the odd twinge in my calf. Got into the run better than normal and made up some places and finished strong to finish 14th on the second run for 13th position overall.

Happy with the result, my bike is improving but still annoying to put over a minute into someone on a 4km run and then lose a whopping five minutes to them on the bike over 17km. I plan to get some SPD pedals at the weekend so I'm hoping that they will a pancea to my cycling.

Great race and well organised. The sun was out and the roads were very quiet. Thanks Queenie. Any traffic out there was well marshaled.

Wednesday Intervals 5 x 1km, 90 seconds rest

3.46, 3.48, 3.48, 3.57, 3.50

Happy enough with the session as two of kms was over and back on a trail with a small hill.

Thursday Howth Head cycle 38km - 84mins

No average speed as I created three seperate workouts on garmin and not pushed trying to work out overal speed.

The reason for seperate workouts is that I happened to arrive at the start of the Howth climb during a time trail for Dublin wheelers. So decided to give a TT a go and quickly started a new workout. Buried myself going up the hill and clocked 10.07 for the course. Was gas, I was getting cheered on by some of the wheelers and even ended up on Flickr page of Dublin Wheelers! At the finish line, organiser was roaring at me to give him my number. I was fecked and could only manage a barely audible "no number." Hung around to see some of the other cyclists finish. Tough work coming back along Clontarf seafront, that wind is b'stard.

Sunday 17km 1.23 / 4.53 min/km pace
    Enjoyed this run. Brought my rain jacket, didn't rain of course, was actually fairly hot. So sweated quite a lot. Was an out and back route, wind at my back on the way out and a 8.5km slog into the wind on the way home. Was feeling pretty good so decided to open the rain jacket to deliberately create a bit of drag and thus give a harder workout. No idea if it actually had an effect but good mental work out.

Good week overall, probably my biggest running mileage this year, which is just over 22 miles and two decent cycles. Excellent.

Supposed to hit the MTB trails in Three Rock today, still considering it but the wind is howling and don't fancy the 8km cycle on the roads to the trails on a MTB.

Plan more of the same this week including IMRA race.

Haven't done a lot in past 9 days or so.

Twisted my ankle at last week's IMRA race on Wednesday and haven't chanced running on it since. Probably a mistake finishing the race but feck it, didn't want to see all that hard work wasted.

Since then, I had two endurance events that didn't help my ankle, a family wedding, followed by a weekend in Ibiza. Ankle still swollen and extensively bruised 5 days after twisting. Feels a bit tight but will try running at the weekend.

Did a short 35km last night, up Cruagh road and around two rock. avg speed of 26kmph with a climb of 442 metres.

Totals for month of May.
    Running 138.6km
    Cycling 192km.

Thought I did far more than that but least there's a bit of consistency

Two bike sessions this week.

Ankle is still sore. I reckon I could run on it no problem but when i put my ankle in a certain, albeit un-natural position, its quite sore. Not sure if that's just bruising. Will see how the weekend is before booking a physio.

Tuesday Howth loop - 35 km avg speed 29.5kmph
    I've been training blind on the bike in just getting the miles in so decided to do some intervals on the Clontarf speedway, one min, one min off. Then headed up the hill which I find slightly easier than normal and hard slog coming

Thursday Cruagh Road, Lambs cross, 39km avg speed 22kmph (can't remember exact time

Decided to head out during a small break in the weather. Was fecking freezing out, toes were frozen, hands numb and could see my breath. Bizarre. Climbed from the Tallaght side and past Hellfire club, down the descent and turned right to Lamb's cross. Took it handy on the descents as first time descending on a road bike in the wet. Met some poor soul at Lamb's cross who was waiting for an hour for a cyclist to come by so he could pump his tire. Luckily I had mine. Decent session.

Due to enter the Wicklow War in Glenmalure next week and I need to run IMRA on Wednesday if I want to qualify for the league. Not ideal and ankle is gettign a bit frustrating at this stage given that it appears ok. Might drop down to sport in War. Shall see.

Going to resurrect this. Wasn't doing much training for the last month due to sprained ankle, holidays etc but still entering the odd race.

Main focus now is Gaelforce in 6 weeks or so. This will be my third time doing it. I like the event, great route and a challenging course. So lots of hill running, intervals and cycling between now and Aug 20th.

Monday July 11

Double session today, day off.

AM 16km in Phoenix Park, avg pace of 4.36 min/km. All ran on trails. Great run, lots of deer and their fawns.

PM
    Cycle - Clontarf
    20km average speed 31.9

Pleased with this cycle as legs were feeling a bit tired. It must be the 'heat' but had two seperate encounters of knobbish behaviour. Clontarf cycle path can be a pain in the backside at hte best of times.

First was a taxi driver roaring at me to get onto a cycle path that had not even started. Met him again 20 minutes later where he proceed to talk crap at me while holding up traffic behind him. Second was a bunch of kids deliberately blocking the cycle path and acting tough in front of each other.

Plan for the rest of the week is IMRA race on Wednesday and half marathon plod on Sunday. Thinking i need to concentrate on cycling as seems to be where i lose the most time.

Tuesday 12 July

38.62km avg speed 24.7 kmph. 513 metres climb

Back on the bike. Legs were a bit tired but decided to go up to Hellfire Club and onwards towards Johnnie Foxes, coming around Two Rock and into Dundrum. Felt a bit dizzy after last climb after crossroad at Glencullen. Had to stop for an emergency mars bar.

Tough session but was happy enough with the distance, climb and speed.

Wednesday IMRA Kippure
    9.2km 308 metres climb 50.59

Felt surprisingly fresh going into this but didn't last long and it turned into a hard slog. My lowest position this year but still happy enough given the training earlier this week. Beautiful evening for it.

Might do a light run tonight and then rest up for marathon plod on Sunday

Sunday July 17 IMRA mountain plod

Didn't get a chance to go for a run since Wednesday due to work etc

Felt fresh coming into the race. Did the race last year and was hoping to knock a fair bit of time off, so had 1.45 in mind. Ran in trail shoes last year but opted for road shoes this time round.

Started off near the front as I knew there might be of a bottle neck at the bushes. Recgonised a few faces from IMRA that are of similar ability to me so kept them in sight. The plan was to take it easy until Tibradden and then push on.

Found the first 4km handy enough and soon enough we were in Masseys. A couple of lads passed me but restrained myself from chasing them. The woods wasn't that muddy so no issue re grip. Managed to get the two lads before the stiles. Felt really strong at this point but was still had to rein myself in.

Into Cruagh and I had already made the decision I would walk the initial steep section to catch my breath and keep the legs from burning. Enjoyed this section, as you can power up the hill without going too much in the red. Pretty much had this section to myself. Took a High 5 isogel here which was suprisingly refreshing. Caught a lad on the descent into Tibradden and grabbed a cup of water. Last year, I completely blew up on this climb. Got into a steady pace and grinded out a decent work rate till the Dublin Mountain way. At this point I was caught a group of three. Was feeling ok so decided to hang on with them. We were going a fair whack across the top of the mountain, probs a bit too fast for me. I decided to let them go at the sharp left that leads up to the Fairycastle.

This section is quite rocky and can be frustrating. I kind of fluked this section and managed not to trip once with the result that I had caught the group of three for the descent.

Passed one on the narrow trail and ran with the other two. I felt strong on this section and decided to put the foot down. Two other lads also felt strong so we were still together when we came Kilmashogue lane. According to my garmin, we did the last 5km in 18.30. The legs were really sore on this section and i thought the two lads had the measure of me.

At the M50 flyover, I upped the pace, it was less than a km to go. Only there wasn't, it was about 2km with the small loop of the park. Two of us were still together with the other guy dropping off. I was fading at this stage so lost about 20 metres when the guy behind me gave me a shout to say we missed the turn. I shouted to the guy in front who had to turn back. I was lucky that I didn't lose any time and made a place. The last 200 metres was a hard slog but crossed the line in 1.40 and finished 25th.

Delighted with the result, knocked a full 19 minutes of last year's time. Great race.

Might have to up my Gaelforce target. I did GF last year in 4.47 and was aiming for sub 4.30. With yesterday's run, that looks like it's a very achieveavle target if I prepare properly.

Training for rest of the week will be tough, includes Hellfire Duathlon tomorrow and then IMRA Sugarloaf the following evening.

Hellfire Duathlon

Last in the Hellfire races, great series.

Felt ok after the plod two days earlier. Lots of skinny triathletes were out. The run is straight up the Hellfire, over the top, loop around it, another small climb and down to the bikes. About 150 metres of climb Went out hard enough on the run and was 9th or so onto the bike.

The cycle is a tough course, two laps of about 8km, total 450 metres climb. Found it slightly easier than usual but as expected, the fast tri guys soon caught me. Lost about 2 places on the second lap so was happy enough going onto the second run for a repeat of the run which is murder on the legs. Made up a place on the run to finish in 12th and about 8 minutes quicker than last year.

Sugarloaf 6km 376 metres

Was feeling the last two races in the legs but needed to run it to qualify for league. Great but tough little race. Legs didn't really respond so was a bit of a slog. Still a pint and a burger at the end made it worthwhile and I did enough to finished 30th in the league overal. Sweet.

Tough week so some light core work tonight, a bit of a rest, chocolate and beer.

In last four days I ran about 1300 vertical metres so decent training for Gaelforce.

Probs will leave the trail running for a couple of weeks and work on cycling, intervals and hill repeats over next 3 weeks before small taper.

Great going nerraw, You're getting some work done with races and everything. You must be getting towarsds the 'skinny triathlete look' yourself with all this hard work!

Macanri wrote: »
    Great going nerraw, You're getting some work done with races and everything. You must be getting towarsds the 'skinny triathlete look' yourself with all this hard work!

Cheers Macanri.

Alas, I like my pints and chocolate too much to qualify for skinny tri look. I'm barely working the two vices off!

Sunday 12.5km
    As usual, didn't get a chance to train since Wednesday besides some core work on Thursday. Inconsistency is a terrible habit.

Had no set plan but legs felt great so decided to increase the pace over the distance, starting off around 4.30 min per km, to a few 4.20s down to 4.03 and 4.07 for the last two km.

Monday 78 kms, avg speed 25kmph

This felt tougher than it should've been. Up Cruagh Road and by Glencree, over Sally Gap and down by Lough Tay and home via Bray, Dalkey.

Enjoyed the first 30km, great weather and views and the roads were empty. Was knackered by 65km so decided to coast home along the coast road and enjoy the views. 914 metres of climbing and it felt like it. Was almost forced to walk up the hill on Vico road.

• Advertisement

Tuesday intervals 5 x 1km with 90 sec recovery

Absolute torture. Decided to do these out on the Phoenix Park polo ground. Lovely surface and a great evening for it. I usually do the reps over a random course, never repeating the same circuit. Problem with the polo pitch is that you know exactly how much you've to run! Didn't think I'd complete them all, first one was too quick.

The five reps were: 3.40 3.43 3.45 3.44 3.47

Wednesday bike 20km avg speed 32kmph

Two laps around the Phoenix Park in perfect conditions

Thursday

Was fairly knackered so did a bit of strength and core work.

Saturday
    9km - 38.41 - avg pace 4.17 min/km

Long day in work so went out for a short 10km for a fast run to blow the cobwebs off. Great run, out by the sea. Started out in around 4.20 min/km pace before speeding up. Felt fairly comfortable, good booster.

Trying to suss out my race pace for the first 14km for Gaelforce so splits were a bit all over the place.

Monday 16km LSR 80 mins, average pace 4.58 min/km

Lovely trot around the Phoenix Park trails. Ran with full GF kit. Used the innov8 rain jacket/waist pack, that I got for the IMRA leinster league. Here: http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG4&L=26&P=5050973261

Mandatory kit fits in no problem and was barely noticeable on the run. Really impressed with it, nice bit of kit and for free.

Tuesday cycle 40km 96mins, avg speed 25.5km ph. 618 metres climb

Great cycle. Decided to do my normal route in reverse. Up through Dundrum, Burrow road, past Johnnie Foxes and and onto Kilkee road.

Managed the hills at a decent clip and added another climb for good measure. Felt like a break through cycle, first time I noticed a significant increase in performance. Climbed the hills in a higher gear etc. Avg speed isn't great but I'm putting that down to the amount of traffic lights out and back.

Decided to take the plunge into triathlons, I can't resist the onesie suits any longer. Planning to hit the pool around end of Sept with next season in mind.

Decided to take the plunge into triathlons, I can't resist the onesie suits any longer. Planning to hit the pool around end of Sept with next season in mind.

Hah, good man. How is your swimming at present?

Macanri wrote: »
    Hah, good man. How is your swimming at present?

I can swim. That's about it. I'm going to go for a swim on Monday and assess how bad I am. I'll be happy if can manage more than 100 metres freestyle without stopping. There was a time, three years ago, where I could swim comfortably for about 30mins.

Wednesday intervals 5 * 1km, 90 sec recovery

Legs were a bit heavy today. Did a 3km warm up before the pain started.

Pain, with the usual feelings of 'I'm never going to do 5' after the 1st 1km. Managed to grind them out, 3.43, 3.43, 3.46, 3.46 and 3.45, followed by a 3km warm down. I don't think I was in danger of not finishing the reps but just a case of HTFU mentally.

I can swim. That's about it. I'm going to go for a swim on Monday and assess how bad I am. I'll be happy if can manage more than 100 metres freestyle without stopping. There was a time, three years ago, where I could swim comfortably for about 30mins.

I think I was only managing 75m at a time when i started out.
    The best advice I could give would be to go get a few lessons - that can be join a leisure centre group of 10 lessons for about €100, or one on one. Its up to you. You will learn lots. Better to start with proper technique than to build your swim fitness but at the same time reinforcing bad habits.

It takes a bit of time to get the swim fitness up, but spending time in the water is the only way to do it. You will get back to where you where before (plus some).

Cheers Macanri.

Thursday 16km 1 hour and 20.

This was a struggle. Not sure why I decided to this run but niggling doubt that I’m not spending long enough on my feet. Shoulders and right calf were very tight afterwards.

Saturday bike 30 km – 75 mins. 350ish of climb
    Did this in the rain with a roaring hangover. Hangover probably replicated the last 30 minutes of a long race! Did usual loop around the Hellfire club.

Was in the mind to turn back at several points but plodded on. I hate the idea of not being able to do something because of a hangover so as a result, I’m more likely to do something with a hangover!

Descent in the rain was a bit hairy, Gatorskins are on the bike which are supposed to be a slippy. A driver got stuck behind me as I was going pretty slow. They gave me lots of space and after about 2 mins of very slow progress, I was able to wave them through on a clear stretch. They then gave me a flash of their hazard lights to say thanks! Nice gesture.

Monday 62km, 1203metres of climbing, avg speed 23.1kmph

Bit of an epic ride due to crazy weather conditions in August. Plan was to head to Laragh via Sally Gap and then loop back via Drummin.

Got to Glencree and the heavens just opened. Ploughed on but by time I got to Powerscourt mtn climb, the rain was horizontal with some hailstones thrown in. Couldn't see a thing, face was stinging so decided to turn back about 5km away from the Gap. Didn't want to waste the day so did some loops of Hellfire via Cruagh and Kilkee in the rain.

Some good training for bad weather conditions I suppose. Tried a High 5 Isogel Plus, with caffeine, which seemed pretty good, felt fine on the last climb. High 5 energy bar also went down well, very palatable.

Tuesday night 11km

Hill repeats in the park. Lovely evening for it, love the park on days like that. Amazing how often you find yourself on a trail, winding through trees and not On the trails off the Kyber Road.

Right calf was getting a bit tight towards the end of the session which is a slight concern. Last time that happened, i pulled it a few days later. It's down to the tightness of my foot. A tennis ball under the foot should loosen it up. Plan to get a sports massage to loosen it up too

• Advertisement

Not doing a lot since the twinge in my calf, just to be on the safe side. Got a sports massage on Thursday which was ridiculously painful. Confirmed my right leg, from hip to calf was extremely tight. How I managed to last the session is beyond me. Was sweating buckets with the pain. Seems to have done the trick.

Saturday 20km
    A handy enough spin out to Wheelworx to leave bike in for a service. Legs still feel thrashed from the massage, a bit achy.

Plan for the rest of the week is to do a short fast-paced kms and generally keep things ticking over till 6.30am next Saturday at Glassilaun beach.

Advertisement