Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"We can rebuild her!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »
    You're bulletproof missus.
    If I was bulletproof I wouldn't get injured this often :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

If I was bulletproof I wouldn't get injured this often :p

Bulletproof now!

Planned for today - 70 minutes easy. Did 12km / 7.46 miles today at 9.54/mile average pace. Looking at the paces on my Garmin log makes it really obvious where I was running in and out of the wind, was trying to keep it a consistent effort but paces range from 9.35ish/mile to well outside 10 min/mile! Thankfully the rain stayed away for the duration of my run. :)

Week: 32.9 miles - first 30+ week post-Barcelona :D

Would like also to mention a certain text from a certain person (who will remain anonymous) yesterday evening. "Oh when the saints go marchin in :)" - Talk about counting your chickens before they were hatched :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great running this weekend... and for braving that wind! Once this marathon is done and dusted, I'll have to join you for some hill reps!

jcsmum wrote: »
    Great running this weekend... and for braving that wind! Once this marathon is done and dusted, I'll have to join you for some hill reps!

Might actually start putting that session up on the group training sessions thread, I'm sure there are a few other people around who might like to have their legs burnt by that hill :)

Plan for this evening - 50 minutes easy. Did 8.05km / 5.01 miles at 10.08/mile average pace. Slow, but pace is really irrelevant when half the run is into a wind as strong as what it is today (and I wasn't exactly feeling full of energy today because I slept really badly last night). Still miles in the bank anyway! Intervals tomorrow at the track.

Intervals at UCD track today, with menopause, claralara and digger. Plan was 4x200, 1x600, 2x400 (200m jog recoveries) + 15 min easy warm-up and cooldown.

Splits for 200s:
    1:25 (310m, dunno how that happened)
    0:52
    0:53
    0:54

600m:
    2:57 (way slower than the intended 2:45! :( )

400m:
    1:51

Followed this up with quite a decent amount (nearly 5km!) of easy-paced cooling down. Total distance covered 10.37km. Good to get some intervals in, but I am now rather worried about Saturday! No zip in my legs at all, feels like I've lost so much sharpness since I've been injured. Back in January I was doing 10x400m sessions with all the reps faster than those 1:51s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Intervals at UCD track today, with menopause, claralara and digger. Plan was 4x200, 1x600, 2x400 (200m jog recoveries) + 15 min easy warm-up and cooldown.

Splits for 200s:
    1:25 (310m, dunno how that happened)
    0:52
    0:53
    0:54

600m:
    2:57 (way slower than the intended 2:45! :( )

400m:

Followed this up with quite a decent amount (nearly 5km!) of easy-paced cooling down. Total distance covered 10.37km. Good to get some intervals in, but I am now rather worried about Saturday! No zip in my legs at all, feels like I've lost so much sharpness since I've been injured. Back in January I was doing 10x400m sessions with all the reps faster than those 1:51s...

I wouldnt stress about the times too much. Your 600 was bit slower than intended but the 200s were also quicker than planned which is something you need to take into account and the wind was prob a factor.
    Just get out and enjoy the race on Sat plenty of time to be chasing times and "sharpness" you are still in very early stages of your come back so dont worry and just give it a lash. The race itself will help bring you on leaps and bounds

I'll be on the hill with the mini slows to cheer you on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good luck at the weekend RK and enjoy your first race back from injury, the time will look after itself.

Saw over on the Yoga and Pilates forum that there's a 4 week Yoga for Runners class starting up on Wednesday nights next week - gonna give that a go :)

Saw over on the Yoga and Pilates forum that there's a 4 week Yoga for Runners class starting up on Wednesday nights next week - gonna give that a go :)

There's other forums???:confused:

There's other forums???:confused:

Just a few others, for example - Fashion and Appearance will tell you how to dress for when you and Digger have to wear pink compression socks :)

Just a few others, for example - Fashion and Appearance will tell you how to dress for when you and Digger have to wear pink compression socks :)

It ain't happening, two of you three 'ladies' will have a forfeit to face for failing at Dunshaughlin. (Insert Evil Cackle):pac:

It ain't happening, two of you three 'ladies' will have a forfeit to face for failing at Dunshaughlin. (Insert Evil Cackle):pac:

Details of said forfeit please :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That the one on Wicklow street? They emailed me about that, alas, I'd go but the effort of going back into town at that time...

That the one on Wicklow street? They emailed me about that, alas, I'd go but the effort of going back into town at that time...

South William Street. Suits me because I work in town. :)

Aye, thats what I meant :o Wicklow Street/South William Street all one and the same the 'holistic centre of Dublin' :rolleyes: thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it :pac:

Aye, thats what I meant :o Wicklow Street/South William Street all one and the same the 'holistic centre of Dublin' :rolleyes: thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it :pac:

*points* Thar be hippies! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Ah yes i used to collect my "wages" there in the post office every Tuesday for 2 years :D

• Advertisement

Details of said forfeit please :pac:

The winner is exempt from running the race series dressed in stockings, suspenders and a slutty french maid's outfit!!!

The winner is exempt from running the race series dressed in stockings, suspenders and a slutty french maid's outfit!!!

When or where did I say I was entering the race series? :pac:

When or where did I say I was entering the race series? :pac:

I'm sorry, did I make it seem like you had a choice?

Best of luck in the 5k at the weekend. You've put in all that patience during your injury and recovery, now it's time to reap the rewards! :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Best of luck in the 5k at the weekend. You've put in all that patience during your injury and recovery, now it's time to reap the rewards! :)

Fingers crossed! (currently trying to stop a tickly throat from exploding into full-on manflu :eek:)

Best of luck to yourself this weekend missus! Which day is your race on?

Fingers crossed! (currently trying to stop a tickly throat from exploding into full-on manflu :eek:)

Best of luck to yourself this weekend missus! Which day is your race on?

Sunday :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Right so, have just decided to pace claralara at 10 minute miles ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Right so, have just decided to pace claralara at 10 minute miles ;)

You've Perky to beat!

I'd already swapped yesterday's 50 minute run to today (felt like I'd been hit by a bus when I got in from work yesterday, that coupled with getting in late meant that the swap was the only reasonable choice). Woke up this morning with a very tickly throat and a nice little cough to go with it - just my luck 2 days before my first race in nearly 3 months. Deeply unimpressed at this. Anyway. Today's run. The usual 8km / 5 mile loop, dead slow because I just did not have any energy at all tonight (10.13/mile average pace), any stretch of the legs at all felt draining. Absolutely flopped into my chair too when I got home. Think I'm going to have to grab some Berocca Boost on the way into work tomorrow and hope I feel better on Saturday morning...

I'd already swapped yesterday's 50 minute run to today (felt like I'd been hit by a bus when I got in from work yesterday, that coupled with getting in late meant that the swap was the only reasonable choice). Woke up this morning with a very tickly throat and a nice little cough to go with it - just my luck 2 days before my first race in nearly 3 months. Deeply unimpressed at this. Anyway. Today's run. The usual 8km / 5 mile loop, dead slow because I just did not have any energy at all tonight (10.13/mile average pace), any stretch of the legs at all felt draining. Absolutely flopped into my chair too when I got home. Think I'm going to have to grab some Berocca Boost on the way into work tomorrow and hope I feel better on Saturday morning...

You need Glutamine Missus!!!

• Advertisement

It's worse this morning, throat has gone from tickly to just feckin' sore, and I'm feeling like I really don't want to be in work right now.

/whine

I told you we're both cursed. :) Hope you feel better tomorrow.

It's worse this morning, throat has gone from tickly to just feckin' sore, and I'm feeling like I really don't want to be in work right now.

/whine

Just throw down all the standard fixers and take actifed going to bed!
    I told you we're both cursed.

Don't be dragging her down with the likes of you :P

Bahaha, this is going to be an epic clash with every item of running gear I own when I next replace my shoes :D

Bahaha, this is going to be an epic clash with every item of running gear I own when I next replace my shoes :D

I like them, could you not get them in pink though?:D

I like them, could you not get them in pink though?:D

My current ones are white and pink and I fcuking hate that colour scheme :pac:

My current ones are white and pink and I fcuking hate that colour scheme :pac:

Don't be a hater, embrace the pink! :)

Don't be a hater, embrace the pink! :)

Not gonna happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Yeah I had a pair of those pink & whites, no matter how grubby I got them that pinkness just shone through. Those blue 17s look good.

• Advertisement

Very short, easy run with a few strides this evening. Average pace 9.38/mile overall, 2.58 miles covered. Felt tougher than it should, though I'm *still* partly blaming the wind for that. **** sake, will it not just go away? :eek:

Really hoping the sore throat fecks off soon too, it's incredibly annoying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck tomorrow - hope cold clears up. As for those new 17's....:eek: is all I can say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Good luck tomorrow. Difflam spray great for sore throats numbs the hell out of it, works for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best for tomorrows race RK. I hope that cold/sore throat clears up for you.

On the Glutamine - I don't know Mr Slow, so won't comment on his bowel movements - but from a bit of research: "At the time of this writing, the most commonly experienced side effects while taking glutamine include: constipation and bloating."

Well that was crap. 26.02 - my worst 5k since March 2009.

Sinuses decided to join in the fun this morning, meaning that I didn't just feel like crap but breathing was tougher than it should have been. Really should have stayed in bed today, I knew 400m in that it really wasn't there today - everything felt much tougher than it should have been. My first km was 4.56, which is slower than my normal 5k pace, and it only got worse from there.

Garmin link, if anyone is interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

What a shame RK, sorry to hear you so disappointed. Now go mind yourself and be better for Cork.

Oh and even though 26.02 might be a bad time for you, its a time I would love to get some day. So therefore I think your brill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

You have been sick all week, just write it off to experience that next time your in bad shape the week before a race just draw a line thru it and get a new race somewhere to run a week later or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah crap, sorry to hear it was a bad one - I'm with Bally8 though, think it's quicker than my 5k pb, so I'm saying nice one! Now, on to Cork...:)

First missed session in May today (had 70 min easy run scheduled). Really not feeling right at all, going to try and get to the doctor tomorrow. Down with this sort of thing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

First missed session in May today (had 70 min easy run scheduled). Really not feeling right at all, going to try and get to the doctor tomorrow. Down with this sort of thing. :(

Better of resting up and listening to the body. Running for the sake of running is only gonna make things worse and do more harm than good. Get better soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That's a shame RK :(
    Best to keep your energy for getting better now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement