Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options
  • 25-03-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12561_6833878,00.html

I'll start off with Kahn Fotuali'i who has signed a two year deal with the Ospreys. He was one of the players of the autumn internationals with Samoa. It's a serious signing for the Welsh side and Fotuali'i will provide serious competition for Mike Phillip's jersey. The All Blacks were considering capping him before he decided to play with Samoa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ospreys/9434573.stm

Ospreys have also recruited George Stowers from London Irish, boosting their already plentiful riches in the backrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/12829737.stm

Looking at the Premiership, Sale Sharks are the side who are rebuilding. Mike Brewer was sacked as coach (apparently he was unpopular among the players) and new coach Steve Diamond wants to make a team based around strong forward play. They are losing Charlie Hodgson to Saracens, Eifion Lewis Roberts to Toulon and Chris Jones to Worcester. They have recruited the likes of Tony Buckley and Taeasa Laeva and another few forwards whose names aren't familar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    Why would they bother ;)

Oops. :D

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3824_6832825,00.html

Hurricanes scrum-half Tyson Keats is joining an unnamed Magners League club. What's he like as a player?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The Premiership just gets weaker and weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Heard for Connacht they are going for Benson Stanley,don't have a link just got it from a very reliable source in Connacht rugby.would be some signing

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

its_phil wrote: »
    Heard for Connacht they are going for Benson Stanley,don't have a link just got it from a very reliable source in Connacht rugby.would be some signing

Wow that would be a big signing. There's a good chance Connacht will be playing HEC next season so that will help Connacht in their negotiations.

I assume Ta'auso is on his way out then? They'll hardly be allowed two NIQ centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

The Premiership just gets weaker and weaker.

Seems to be down to the salary cap. They just can't compete financially with the Top 14 or ML sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Seems to be down to the salary cap. They just can't compete financially with the Top 14 or ML sides.

Who'd have thought that a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Chesney was supposed to be joining Sale after agreeing a deal with them but instead has decided to stay with Toulon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

profitius wrote: »
    Who'd have thought that a few years back.

Well I'm pretty sure the likes of Leicester and Northampton could afford the marquee names if it was raised or removed. But it'd cripple the smaller clubs.

Well I'm pretty sure the likes of Leicester and Northampton could afford the marquee names if it was raised or removed. But it'd cripple the smaller clubs.

Thats true. It goes to show how weak the league is at the moment in England. Leicester and Northampton are not allowed move forward.

I think they'd be better off raising the salary cap and allow Northampton, Saracens and Leicester put up a greater challenge for the HEC.

Its great for a league when one of their teams are champions of Europe. I had much higher opinion of premiership rugby a few years back when English teams were regularly winning the HEC but not anymore and I bet its the same with English fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Connacht rumours in : Benson Stanley (Auckland Blues)
    Stewart Maguire (Leinster)
    Fetu'u Vainikolo (Otago)

I'm led to believe that the Maguire deal is done, don't quote me on it though. The other 2 are just rumours, but it's nice to be linked to big names, particularly Stanley.

Fetu'u Vainikolo (Otago)

I'm led to believe that the Maguire deal is done, don't quote me on it though. The other 2 are just rumours, but it's nice to be linked to big names, particularly Stanley.

Are there many current Connacht players who've not yet signed for next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

There is a few actually. A little bird told me that O'Halloran might be on his way south.

There is a few actually. A little bird told me that O'Halloran might be on his way south.

He's potentially a very good player but injury prone. It wouldn't surprise me to see him play international rugby in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

Fetu'u Vainikolo (Otago)

And why would any one here quote you on anything? You are not an official representative from any rugby club. You're contributions here are merely speculative.
    Don't worry. I won't be quoting some anonymous contributor to anybody.
    I mean who knows you?
    In the bar later, I say hey guys. Huddle round me. Got some latest transfer news on the rugger front. Very reliable source too. Porterbelly says x,y and z.
    Wow. Well if he has said it, it must be true. Sure he is a mine of information.
    Pssst. don't quote me on it. Cos Porterbelly in his contribution to the rugby section of Boards.ie asked us all not to quote him.
    Really, yea really. God that guy has his finger on the pulse. Or is it a woman?
    Don't know. Just has great sources. But don't quote me on that.

The confirmed list of players for next season are :

Gavin Duffy
    John Muldoon
    Johnny O'Connor
    Rodney Ah You
    Adrian Flavin
    Brett Wilkinson
    Ronan Loughney
    Michael Swift
    Mike McCarthy
    George Naoupu*
    Andrew Browne
    Ray Ofisa
    Eoghan Grace*
    TJ Anderson*
    Frank Murphy
    Niall O'Connor*
    Miah Nikora
    Matthew Jarvis*
    Keith Matthews
    Eoin Griffin
    James Loxton*
    Mark McCrea*

*New signings

Fetu'u Vainikolo (Otago)

I'm led to believe that tomorrow is Saturday, deffo is. Don't quote me on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Fetu'u Vainikolo (Otago)

have the 2 young welsh players been confirmed? wasnt there an issue regarding their eligability for Ireland.

kevin99 wrote: »
    And why would any one here quote you on anything? You are not an official representative from any rugby club. You're contributions here are merely speculative.
    I mean who knows you?
    In the bar later, I say hey guys. Huddle round me. Got some latest transfer news on the rugger front. Very reliable source too. Porterbelly says x,y and z.
    Pssst. don't quote me on it. Cos Porterbelly in his contribution to the rugby section of Boards.ie asked us all not to quote him.

Christ we're only speculating on what we hear. I don't claim to be any official at Connacht rugby. It's transfer rumour time.

Take a look at the title of the thread 'Transfer Rumours'.

The confirmed list of players for next season are :

Gavin Duffy
    John Muldoon
    Johnny O'Connor
    Rodney Ah You
    Adrian Flavin
    Brett Wilkinson
    Ronan Loughney
    Michael Swift
    Mike McCarthy
    George Naoupu*
    Andrew Browne
    Ray Ofisa
    Eoghan Grace*
    TJ Anderson*
    Frank Murphy
    Niall O'Connor*
    Miah Nikora
    Matthew Jarvis*
    Keith Matthews
    Eoin Griffin
    James Loxton*
    Mark McCrea*

*New signings

Thats 22 there so there should be plenty more signings to come especially from Munster and Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Is Keatley definitely on his way to Munster? So far we've signed Botha from Ulster which is a great signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

James Hook to Perpignan
    David Skrela to Clermont
    Sean Cronin to Leinster
    Lee Byrne to Clermony
    Regan King to Clermony
    Byron Kelleher to Bayonne
    Lionel Beauxis to Toulouse
    BJ Botha to Munster
    John Afoa to Ulster
    Niall O'Conner to Connacht
    Ian Keatley to Munster
    Dan Hipkiss to Bath
    Mathe tait to Leicester
    Shontayne Hape to London Irish
    Ryan Caldwell to Bath
    George Stowers to Ospreys
    Joe Ansbro to London Irish
    Ryan Lamb to Saints
    Vasili Artemiev to Saints
    Tom May to Saints
    Nathan Hines to Clermont
    Bakkies Botha to Toulon
    Max Evans to Castres
    Matt Giteau to Toulon
    Alexis Pailisson to Toulon
    Paul Warwick to Stade Francais

...That's all I can think of right now.

As far as rumors, Wyn Jones has been linked with Clermont,Thorn to a french club, Cory Jane to Ulster is one that was floating about a while ago.

Toulon are taking it too far IMO, they can't even use all these players in a HC game can they?

That's Contepomi/Wilkinson/Giteau/Sackey/Botha/Heymans/Van Nierkerk/Smith/Lobbe...and more.

In terms of Conacht rumours that I've heard about,
    Maguire,Dave McSharry and now Benson Stanley:eek:

I wouldn't think they could lure a player of his calibre. Brilliant signing if it's true.

Is Keatley definitely on his way to Munster? So far we've signed Botha from Ulster which is a great signing.

The Keatley deal is done, he'll be a Munster player next year. Great signing for Munster, serious potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I mean who knows you?

OTT response there, you do realise this is a thread on rumours??

Thats 22 there so there should be plenty more signings to come especially from Munster and Leinster.

Could see a few more current players being retained as well. The likes of Shane Monahan, Troy Nathan and Cillian Willis should get another year.

Then the likes of Eoin McKeown, Tiernan O'Halloran, Dave Heffernan and Aaron Conneely may get development or full contracts next year.

I'd say if we're getting anyone from Munster/Leinster we won't hear about it til the end of the season. They'll want to see how they're fixed during the world cup and make sure they're well covered.

Could see a few more current players being retained as well. The likes of Shane Monahan, Troy Nathan and Cillian Willis should get another year.

Then the likes of Eoin McKeown, Tiernan O'Halloran, Dave Heffernan and Aaron Conneely may get development or full contracts next year.

I'd say if we're getting anyone from Munster/Leinster we won't hear about it til the end of the season. They'll want to see how they're fixed during the world cup and make sure they're well covered.

Qualter too. Qualter is over 18st according to his profile so hes big enough to play for Connacht. McKeon and Conneely will need to bulk up a bit.

Christ we're only speculating on what we hear. I don't claim to be any official at Connacht rugby. It's transfer rumour time.

Take a look at the title of the thread 'Transfer Rumours'.

Well why are you asking us not to quote you then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

While it'll be great for us (Munster) if we do sign O'Halloran, it's a massive kick in the teeth to Connacht, whatever about signing guys like Keatley or Cronin, if the big provinces actively poach Connacht's homegrown players then they'll never compete. As long as Munster can bring circa 20,000 more punters to a home game we'll always be able to outbid Connacht, but should be allowed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Well why are you asking us not to quote you then?
    kevin99, Do not post again on this thread.
    Everyone else, back on topic

• Advertisement

Qualter too. Qualter is over 18st according to his profile so hes big enough to play for Connacht. McKeon and Conneely will need to bulk up a bit.

Ya forgot about Qualter, he'll get a few games next year. Big lad alright, and Swifty will be 34 next year so he's not going to play every game. The most durable man ever to play rugby is Swifty but at some stage the games have to catch up on him. Could see us in the market for a 2nd row as well though as I'd say Bernie Upton will be on his way out.

Advertisement