Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'd like to see it done online tbh!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'd like to see it done online tbh!

I'd be more worried about people abusing them in money tournaments.

Still, I don't know about their feasability, I am not really an MK player.

I'd be more worried about people abusing them in money tournaments.

Still, I don't know about their feasability, I am not really an MK player.
    Would be pretty hard tbh, trapping someone in a corner can be hard enough cos of the block and breaker. Getting a whole combo like that they'd pretty much have to let you.

The raiden one looks more possible but I doubt it happens 99% of the time you do that combo

Would be pretty hard tbh, trapping someone in a corner can be hard enough cos of the block and breaker. Getting a whole combo like that they'd pretty much have to let you.

The raiden one looks more possible but I doubt it happens 99% of the time you do that combo

Indeed, but it depends on the specifics of the combos- you can be damn sure there'll be people trying to find easier ways to land them.

It's also not unknown for big players to discover stuff and keep it secret until a big tournament to earn the prize- won't be good for MK9 if something like that appears on an internationally streamed tourney. Anyways, that's just wild speculation.

Sometimes glitches can be good things too though, the most famous being the concept of cancelling moves which apparently was a glitch in the very first build of Street Fighter 2. The use of the DHC glitch in Marvel is currently having whole teams built around it too. Whether that's good or bad is up to debate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Sub-Zero glitch is much worse. Sub-Zero can easily get you to the corner with his slide combos and cause an irreversible freeze glitch that ends the whole match.

It can be done midscreen too:

Raiden's can be done anywhere on the screen, but its avoidable by the opposing player and can be fixed. It only occurs if you try and crouch block the Electric Fly at the end of that combo, if you try and crouch block, it'll happen 100% of the time, if you stand block it, you'll block the Electric Fly and no glitch occurs. Even if it were to accidently occur in a match, you can be knocked out of the float by a neutral jump attack.

Eep. That aint so good.

I assume it'll be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Mortal Kombat was the biggest selling game for April folks, even beatind Portal 2 :D (in U.S. anyway)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6313540.html?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Mortal Kombat was the biggest selling game for April folks, even beatind Portal 2 :D (in U.S. anyway)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6313540.html?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B8
    Means nothing until Valve release Steam sales figures.

Which they won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

It's strange, the more I play this, the more I'd prefer to be playing Street Fighter or Blazblue, and I adored it when it came out. It's not just the block system, it's a lot of things. I can't put my finger on it.

Still, challenge tower is a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

Thomas-G wrote: »
    It's strange, the more I play this, the more I'd prefer to be playing Street Fighter or Blazblue, and I adored it when it came out. It's not just the block system, it's a lot of things. I can't put my finger on it.

Still, challenge tower is a blast.

I know what you mean. I think its the cheap tactics and spamming of special moves. Don't get me wrong its a great game but does not seem to have the depth of SSF4 or MvC3 to me so far. Will give it some time and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It's clunky. Only way to describe it.

Also that Sub-Zero glitch is hilarious. I guess we know who's going to win that 21K tournament :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

It's great to play for fun but not competitively. For me at least. Although one thing I love is that most moves are 526 as opposed to 5236. Gives a lot more freedom with the stick, since you can bang them out dragon punch style if you're not feeling too precise.

Orim wrote: »
    It's clunky. Only way to describe it.

Also that Sub-Zero glitch is hilarious. I guess we know who's going to win that 21K tournament :pac:

I now have a mental image of a guy in a sub zero costume on the evo stream freezing people mid fight.

That's a pretty awesome mental image, actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You could imagaine a rule being set up that if this happened in a tourney than the sub player loses the round.

I don't think subzero is that high tier anyway so we wouldn't be seeing many in tourneys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Might want to hold off on that Sub Zero bet, Sindel would like to have a word with you.

all these combos are great in practice mode, still waiting to see an actual video of them in a fight

You'll never see these in proper matches since they'll all be tournament banned. Sub-Zero's breaks the game, and Sindel's just gives her 100% combos. Yes you can breaker her combos, but you need to wait until you've built up enough meter from her doing huge damage to you.

It's crazy that the game has only been out for a few weeks and people have already discovered its riddled with glitches and bugs that need to be patched out.

GorySnake wrote: »
    You'll never see these in proper matches since they'll all be tournament banned. Sub-Zero's breaks the game, and Sindel's just gives her 100% combos. Yes you can breaker her combos, but you need to wait until you've built up enough meter from her doing huge damage to you.

It's crazy that the game has only been out for a few weeks and people have already discovered its riddled with glitches and bugs that need to be patched out.
    not even tournaments, Online play.

Well they've only just been discovered, and you'd have to be a real dickhead to go online and make the MK online experience even more enjoyable for others with these glitches

• Advertisement

GorySnake wrote: »

Tournament banning 100% combos? How could that possibly be enforced?
    Plenty of games have touch of deaths that are all perfectly accepted.

The Raiden/Sub-Zero glitch combos are indeed pushing it a bit though.

Sairus wrote: »
    Tournament banning 100% combos? How could that possibly be enforced?

Easily, its a glitch. If they successfully land more than one scream in a combo with Sindel, they're doing her float cancel glitch.

Traded this today for portal :). SSF4 and MvC3 are just more fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Had to stop myself from trading it for portal today.
    It ain't a bad game, it just ain't no SF.
    I will give it more time methinks.These glitches are very off putting

My copy's fecked up that achievements aren't unlocking anymore, will keep it though tis a fun game to play with the lads having a few drinks and has the pick up and play ability that sf doesn't hAVE FOR SOME GAMERS sorry for caps there. I'm a total mk fanboy though

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

PDP American national MK championship has started streaming on Team Spooky's justin.tv channel.

Alex Valle is looking pretty good with Lui Kang. He's throwing out some nice combos. Also Tom Brady is not allowed to enter the tournament so it'll be interesting to see who takes the 10gs.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

Neeknak wrote: »
    Also Tom Brady is not allowed to enter the tournament so it'll be interesting to see who takes the 10gs.
    Im glad he isnt allowed enter the last tourney he won against perfect legend was great until he picked noob and it just turned into a boring keep away clone game

Why is he not allowed to play?

Why is he not allowed to play?

He was employed as a play tester during the game's development so according to the tourney rules, he's disqualified from entering.

On a side note, Jop's Raiden is sick. Really sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mickles_86

eco2live wrote: »
    Traded this today for portal :). SSF4 and MvC3 are just more fun

Shame! even though PSN is down i'm having a blast, challenge towers completed, ladder finished with all characters, next i plan to get those ridiculously hard hidden trophies : (

• Advertisement

Mickles_86 wrote: »
    Shame! even though PSN is down i'm having a blast, challenge towers completed, ladder finished with all characters, next i plan to get those ridiculously hard hidden trophies : (

I have nearly cleared Portal already :rolleyes:

Portal is a great game but I should have rented it. I found it very easy. Will try and return it later after finishing it. Should have kept kombat :( and waited for the updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

What are these updates?
    I just want them to make online an enjoyable experience but i can't see it.They would have to rewrite all the code from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

PSN is back up. PSN store is not, making it impossible to redeem online kodes. I am not amused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Naphiel wrote: »
    PSN is back up. PSN store is not, making it impossible to redeem online kodes. I am not amused.

Some lad on the other MK thread in the games section said he has playing online on PSN already. Im not sure but maybe you can redeem the online kode through the game itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

I'll give that a try in a little while. I just presumed since the store wasn't up yet that you wouldn't be able to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You cant redeem the codes yet. I get an error message 80710D36

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mickles_86

Played online since PSN came back on, not as laggy as i thought it was gonna be and a few games were just like playing offline which made it easier to string combos together.
    The stats are a bit messed up though, i left a lobby with a record of (1v1)44/8 and (tag) 13/0 but when i went into a different lobby it had (1v1) 26/5 and (tag) 9/0.........dunno what thats all about :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

You can't redeem your kode, but you can just use the 48hr trial for now.

Justin Wong takes the 10k in the PDP tourney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Are the vids of the games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Wish I hadn't started my trial at stupid o clock. I'll be raging when that runs out and I've to wait til the store goes back up.

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Are the vids of the games?

http://www.justin.tv/teamsp00ky/b/285960966

Kung lou dominated the tournament. Nearly everyone used him. Infinites and glitches where banned of course. (so you can only do half an infinite?? :rolleyes:)

What struck me from watching it was how much zoning was going on. Whole rounds of nothing but special moves. Justin and a few others had their 40% + combos down. Very relaxed tournament and people where joking a lot. Few comments and jokes about people slagging the sticks even after PDP fronting up the 20k. I am sure it will be edited.

I am sure people are not using most of the characters to their potential yet but I don't know if MK9 has the depth to last in the long term. Early days.

One annoying thing was the lack of costumes that made it hard to distinguish players. In verses matches you would think that the colors would vary more then red to dark red.

eco2live wrote: »
    One annoying thing was the lack of costumes that made it hard to distinguish players. In verses matches you would think that the colors would vary more then red to dark red.

This is one thing that annoys me a lot about the game. Some characters are easy to tell apart, like Sindel mirrors, but others are barely noticable at all.

I remember watching a smoke mirror in a UMK3 tournament and the commentators had to reassure the watchers the costumes were, indeed, slightly different shades. :D

Another little indicator Netherrealm don't quite "get" tournaments yet. I am sure they'll address it in Super MK9 Arcade edition deluxe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Played a few matches online this morning (won em all:D) and the amount of teleport abuse is amazing. The lag wasnt that bad but enough to make me block after i dashed forward incase my opponent used a teleport attack. Im sure i looked real stupid if you watched the vid and didnt realise lag was involved :P

Played two matches where there was minor lag and i could react to a Smoke teleport attack, but still kouldnt komplete the end of my Scorpion kombo (jumpkick - teleport - jumpkick -EX teleport)

Gonna go have a look at that PDP tourney, toodles

Ok, You know what? A-trak was correct.

One of you needs to run a MK9 tournament. And I am going to offer some advice, despite, myself, being exceedingly bad at running them.

If any of you want to play in one and think, nah, someone else will, you're wrong because everyone is thinking that. Man up and do it. You'll get help I promise.

Here's what to do:

Pick a Saturday. Yes, a Saturday, no one comes on a sunday, weekdays are usually difficult too.

Start a thread here looking for players. Open a poll. Also guage interest as to which system is being used. Most of the SF players have dual modded sticks but I suspect the average MK player will use one of those pad things people keep telling me about :P So the choice will be important.

If people want to take it seriously, they should be able to get a pad converter online, one of the best Irish SF players, the hound, uses a PS3 pad with a converter.

Charge between 5 (if you just want to pay costs) or ten (small prize money) for the tournament per person playing.

Roll into XGC on Liffey St on the day. Plan for the sign ups to run from 12-2 and the tourney to run 2-6. Rent 1 machine for every say 3-4 people there.

Run a groups into double elim tourney. There WILL be a couple of the SF players along to help you out. It's just the way we roll :P

If you give me enough notice, I may be able to record the tournament in HD. This will mean if someone searches for "mortal kombat tournament Ireland" they will find you.

Then grab a few beers after the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Minus the beers, that's pretty much what I did for WoH =3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

eco2live wrote:
    Few comments and jokes about people slagging the sticks even after PDP fronting up the 20k.

From my friend's facebook post, it sounds like one of the sticks was actually broken & noone realised :rolleyes:

Skarlet will be available sometime in the next few weeks along with some "free stuff."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/301922/news/mortal-kombat-dlc-character-in-next-few-weeks/

• Advertisement
Advertisement