Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rise and Rise of Sinn Fein

Options
  • 27-02-2011 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

Do ye think that Sinn Fein could become a major force in Irish politics in the future. Unbelievably they are close to the seats of FF
    Or is this election about as good as it gets for them ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Do ye think that Sinn Fein could become a major force in Irish politics in the future. Unbelievably they are close to the seats of FF

They rise in bad times, fall in good times. That's my prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

Even the PDs had 14 seats once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I think to get more of the moderate vote they would have to drop alot of the republican element of the party.

People dont like voting for a party that supports terrorists and garda murderers.

I think that SF will be there or abouts as the main opposition party this time but after a while their policies will be become evident as what they are - empty, hollow unrealistic promises.

SF to have a good 3 year period then fall into the back benches and eventually lose their seats next time around.

I think that SF will be there or abouts as the main opposition party this time

If we say FG/Lab form the Govt, then FF are expected to get 19/20 seats and SF 15. Also, there are Independents out there who will, eventually, join/rejoin FF. My thoughts are FF will be the main opposition party, not by much, but true going on those numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Sundy wrote: »
    I think to get more of the moderate vote they would have to drop alot of the republican element of the party.

People dont like voting for a party that supports terrorists and garda murderers.

They need to drop Gerry Adams if they want to make in roads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sundy wrote: »

Sinn Fein would even get more votes, if there were less people with an attitude like that. In my opinion, Sinn Fein are more and more on the way to distance themselves from the dark past, so why is it so hard to give them a fair chance to prove themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I hope this is just a once off. Their flag waving kinda annoys me. I can understand why they wave the tricolor in NI but why are they doing it here? When you take out their recent history I still wouldn't vote for then because their economic policies are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Their economic policies are not realistic, therefore they will never be a force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It depends if their current success attracts more "up the 'ra" barstool merchants, I think they will have the FF working class vote for quite some time, esp in Dublin. Gerry Adams is an issue for the party (someone will be on here soon to tell me to fck off back home and that Adams is here for life).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭GSF

better hope SF dont propose a tax on internet connections (since their still relatively small voter base seem to spend most of their time online)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Can't trust them.

Why don't they disband the IRA ?

Why can't they come up with some economic policy that makes sense ?

Raiding the pension fund is just daft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I entered this thread thinking it was a discussion about their rise - its not - its just another thread about bashing them.
    Thread title then misleading (through no fault of the OP).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Left-wing parties tend do well at times like these, but once things improve again you will see left-wing independents and SF start to lose support again. The only way Sinn Fein's supports will rise further if they move towards the centre- who knows they might meet fianna fail moving slightly to the left along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Its actually people saying why they wont vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭applejam

I think that SF will be there or abouts as the main opposition party this time but after a while their policies will be become evident as what they are - empty, hollow unrealistic promises.

SF to have a good 3 year period then fall into the back benches and eventually lose their seats next time around.

Agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Pal wrote: »
    Can't trust them.

Ehhhhh they did disband the IRA.....

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Didn't they decommission the weapons but the organisation remains ?

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Didn't they decommission the weapons but the organisation remains ?
    Weapons are all gone, Army Council doesnt meet at all, IRA is gone.

OK. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭paul71

Hi Wolfe Tone, keeping an eye out for you here today, looks like you may push out to 16 seats, pretty much what was targetted. I have seen a few posts here about future of FF, I personally beleive the wipeout will psuh the stump left and that over next 10 years SF will slightly soften their harder left leanings. Do you think a merger or more likely and absorbtion of FF into SF will happen? Not now maybe 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Can't trust them.

The IRA that was associated with SF (the Provos) is long long disbanded, the Continuity IRA and the Real IRA are nothing to do with SF, they are associated with other groups.

And as for raiding the pension fund, all the parties informed the electorate that they would be "raiding" it.

And some of their policies make great sense. A 1% tax on the super rich is a great idea. 1% means toss all to them lads yet bringing in revenue!

paul71 wrote: »
    Hi Wolfe Tone, keeping an eye out for you here today, looks like you may push out to 16 seats, pretty much what was targetted. I have seen a few posts here about future of FF, I personally beleive the wipeout will psuh the stump left and that over next 10 years SF will slightly soften their harder left leanings. Do you think a merger or more likely and absorbtion of FF into SF will happen? Not now maybe 10 years?
    I expect people who used to vote FF will vote SF, but I dont expect the parties to amalgamate. I expect long term SF will stop being hard left, but I dont know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The IRA that was associated with SF (the Provos) is long long disbanded, the Continuity IRA and the Real IRA are nothing to do with SF, they are associated with other groups.

And as for raiding the pension fund, all the parties informed the electorate that they would be "raiding" it.

And some of their policies make great sense. A 1% tax on the super rich is a great idea. 1% means toss all to them lads yet bringing in revenue!

Have you asked all the super rich then?
    Eric Pinchet, author of a French tax guide, estimates the wealth tax earns the government about $2.6 billion a year but has cost the country more than $125 billion in capital flight since 1998.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/15/AR2006071501010.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

This is a good base for Sinn Féin to build upon. We've seen in the north where Sinn Féin went from relative obscurity to the largest party in the space of a generation. People are starting to listen to Sinn Féin, and are sick of the other parties that want us to bail out private debt. 15 potential seats is an amazing feat, and despite what the detractors say - this is a great moment for Sinn Féin.

It is a great moment for Sinn Fein but for them to push on into the mid 20's or have a chance as a junior party they will need to move more centre. The problem then becomes losing out on transfers from far left voters. Fianna Fails rebound will also be a problem for them.

mike65 wrote: »
    It depends if their current success attracts more "up the 'ra" barstool merchants, I think they will have the FF working class vote for quite some time, esp in Dublin. Gerry Adams is an issue for the party (someone will be on here soon to tell me to fck off back home and that Adams is here for life).

Fuc.....

Oh, wait, no, I agree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Sinn Féin voters are well informed, and are realistic about the current economic situation in this country. Were the doubters of Sinn Féin, just my opinion, are are easily swayed by the mass opinion, even though, Sinn Féin were being intellectually honest to the Irish electorate from the very beginning of this election!

The Irish state will likely default in a year or two on all "Debts" owned by us both private and public, that will be catastrophic for everyone in this economy, so continuing along the same road of paying back this loan from the ECB and THE IMF, that we'll simply can not afford, it so ignorant it giving me a severe headache at the moment.

The IRA also ended their war in 1994 and it now 2011 let us move on?

The FF party only cares about its own wellbeing, that is why the leader of the FF party keeps binging up what happened in the North in the past,some people obviously fell for it. It was done so to confuse distort a manipulate the honest message Sinn Féin were putting out there to the Irish people.

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    Sinn Féin voters are well informed, and are realistic about the current economic situation in this country. Were the doubters of Sinn Féin, just my opinion, are are easily swayed by the mass opinion, even though, Sinn Féin were being intellectually honest to the Irish electorate from the very beginning of this election!

The Irish state will likely default in a year or two on all "Debts" owned by us both private and public, that will be catastrophic for everyone in this economy, so continuing along the same road of paying back this loan from the ECB and THE IMF, that we'll simply can not afford, it so ignorant it giving me a severe headache at the moment.

:pac: Yet none of these "well informed voters" were ever able to tell people how SF where going to run the country after we burnt the bondholders and told IMF/EU to get bent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Have you asked all the super rich then?

1% of their incomes, though massive to us is menial money to the likes of large business men, If those on minimum wage were expected to give up 11% of their income in the last budget, those who have more than a million to spend on anything can well afford 1%! It is not about asking them it is fact!

No one asked me when the government made my degree to costly to do with a child and forced me onto the dole queue.

Did anyone ask the blind and those looking after their dependant family members did they mind another 8% off their incomes? Doubt it.

We are in a recession and we all need to feel the pinch, not just the working and lower middle class!

Advertisement