Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best take-away in Waterford.. (Now with Poll)

Options
  • 23-01-2011 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

Right it's time for some serious discussion and debate,lets all forget about the recession economy etc,and discuss what in your opinion is the best take-away in the city :D

Ok so when i say take-away,you can pick between your favorite chipper and that includes McDonald's ,Burger King ,Supermacs etc,also included is Chinese,Indian,Thai etc.

And we cant forget your Favourite Pizza place :)

Now this is restricted to take-aways in the city only,and if you want you can include places in a bye gone era,like burgerland wimpy etc.

So here is my favourites.

Best Chipper:It's between Johnny Walkers & The Cleaboy Chipper,but when it comes down to it ill go with Walkers.

Best Chips:Same again between the top two,but i will go with the Cleaboy this time.

Best Fish: This one was between Dooleys and Johnny Walkers,but Walkers win this one again for me.

Best Battered Sausages: Now this is a tough one,because they are good in most of the chippers,but i narrowed it down to The Cleaboy and Emerald Isle,but im going to go for The Cleaboy at €1.40 you cant go wrong.

Best Burger:Ok im not a big burger man,but i do enjoy them and have eaten one from most places in town,but for this one im going to say the Smokey Bacon burger in Supermacs.

Best chicken breast,burger etc: Now this i know about,and the Cleaboy wins hands down,all there chicken is great and cheap.

Best Pizza: Now everybody has there favourite Pizza,and in Waterford its hit and miss sometimes,but for this one im going to go for Mizzoni's.

Ok so that in my opinion is my favourites,and i didn't include any Chinese or anything in my list, that's because im not a big fan of the food.But i know my chippers and i have eaten out of every single one in Waterford City ;)

What is The Best Chipper 432 votes

The Marian
    0% 1 vote
    The Cleaboy
    11% 50 votes
    Johnny Walkers
    16% 71 votes
    Dooleys
    19% 85 votes
    Emerald Isle
    15% 69 votes
    Supemacs,Burger King, Mc Donalds.
    5% 23 votes
    Another
    6% 29 votes
    I have no soul and dont eat take aways. :)
    24% 104 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Hard one as my tastes vary on level of booze but I'll go for (when sober)

Chipper: The Marian Angelo Is a top bloke and always a decent feed.

Chips: Johnny walkers

Fish: Johnny Walkers again.

Battered Sausage: The Marian. They are a meal on their own.

Burger: I liked the m burger from mc d's when they had it but Istanbul can do a decent one.

Chicken: Hillbillies and Marian neck and neck but I'll give it to Marian.

Pizza: Domineos, I LOVE their garlic pizza bread so much b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Yeah i agree the Sausages in the Marian are HUGE,fair bit of eating in them!

I had Hillbilly's on Friday night after town,and i forgot how nice there gravy is,i had a burger too but i cant remember what it tasted like!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Hmmm I don't eat all the ones mentioned but my favourites are:

Burgers McDonalds Hamburger... I just love them.

Chips Aaron's Bacon & Cheese Chips or Gentiles (Ferrybank)

Pizza There is no pizza better in the world than Coney Island

Chicken Not sure about this one... Like it in a lot of places to be honest. Hillbillys is good after a night on the beer though

Fish/Suasages/etc Don't eat them often enough to have an opinion on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Too right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Even Italy???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

dayshah wrote: »
    Even Italy???

Even Italy... I know cos I've tried them all

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Anyone who doesn't have cheese on their Garlic Bread doesn't get a valid opinion on Puzza :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Best Chipper: It's gotta be the Cleaboy. Overall it's just el perfecto!

Best Chips: Cleaboy again!

Best Fish: Don't eat fish enough from chippers to have an opinion.

Best Battered Sausages: Oooooh. My favourite battered sausages (for taste) are Brennans but they're feckin' tiny! The Cleaboy ones are great but don't taste as nice. If you could make brennans sausages the size of the cleaboy ones I'd be in heaven. It's a toss up between the two.

Best Burger: Burger King hands down!

Best chicken breast,burger etc: Cleaboy again!

Best Pizza: I'm a dominos man myself.

Best Chinese Silver Star!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Garlic bread with pizza is too much bread. Salty chips is what ya want :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Best Chipper: Johnny Walkers hands down, they could charge double and it would still be my treat for the month. 2nd place Emerald Isle on the quay, much bigger menu.

Best Chips: Johnny Walkers, with loads of Chef tomato sauce.

Best Fish: Johnny walkers again but I think they should try more fish varieties as it would taste so good there people would buy it.

Best Battered Sausages: Vegie!

Best Burger:Vegie!

Best chicken breast,burger etc:Vegie!

Best Pizza: Gino's, though I haven't had in ages because of the price and the fact they don't deliver.

Domino's even though it's not even a pizza, more like a pizza pie it's got so much bread in it. But still love it especially garlic pizza bread with all the dips!

Indian: Curry in John's St, had it last night and it was top notch, always loved Eastenders but we got some last month and they must have has a trainee chef working because it was unrecognisable.

Best sandwich: Quiznos upstairs in City square, just a pity they don't stay open after 3pm.

Take away I wish we had: A mexican....Taco Bell would do.

Great thread for January, much better that disusing the price of gym membership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Best Chipper: The Marian

Best Battered Sausages: The Marian
    Best Taco Chip: The Marian
    Best chicken breast,burger etc: The Marian

Best Pizza: Domino's

Best Chinese
    : The Uluru
    Best Thai: Sabi

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Best Chipper: The Cleaboy
    Best Fish: Danny's (when Danny ran it) now Johnny Walkers or Emerald Isle
    Best Chicken: Emerald Isle. Their Chicken Fillet burger is the best in town
    Best Burger: Don't really go for them so cannot comment
    Best Battered Sausage: Cleaboy or Emerald Isle
    Best Pizza: La Teverna
    Best Chinese: Johnny Jumbos

It looks like The cleaboy,Johnny Walkers,The Marian,Emerald Isle,are the favourites in town,and I couldn't agree more,im trying to decide where ill go tonight hmmmm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

best takeaway ever is mixed meat and chips from istanbul .it tops everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

deise48 wrote: »
    best takeaway ever is mixed meat and chips from istanbul .it tops everything

got 1 of them for the first time at xmas and it was sublime! Even after I dropped it on the ground while walking home with Odats didn't take away from how good it was! :D

Dan133269 wrote: »
    got 1 of them for the first time at xmas and it was sublime! Even after I dropped it on the ground while walking home with Odats didn't take away from how good it was! :D

They sound nice,i had the chicken one and it was deadly, what's the meats in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

They sound nice,i had the chicken one and it was deadly, what's the meats in it?
    chicken and kebab meat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Can we do something about the food/takeaway/pub/restaurant threads every other day?!

JPA wrote: »
    Can we do something about the food/takeaway/pub/restaurant threads every other day?!

What you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shalashaska

Best Chipper: Although it's the other side of town, I have to say that the Cleaboy is the best chipper overall.

Best Chips: There seems to be a tussle between the Cleaboy and Johnny Walker's for the title of best chips on this thread, but since I never had chips in Walker's, I have to give it to the Cleaboy.

Best Fish: Not a fan, so I can't give a comment.

Best Battered Sausages: Same as above.

Best Burger: I have many :D, but my favourites are the 5oz Burger from Supermac's and the Double Whopper from Burger King. I occassionally have the Quarter Pounder from the Golden Fry which is quite ample in size.

Best chicken breast,burger etc: I loved the Chicken Breast Burger when Danny's was around, but the Chicken Ciabatta Roll from Supermac's is nice too.

Best Pizza: Whilst I'd eat any pizza put in front of me, I prefer pizzas with the authentic thin base from the likes of Gino's and La Taverna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Went to walkers for the first time last week in about 3 years. Was just horrible, and the way the wrap up food is shocking.

Went to dixies tonight and was very tasty. Dinner box ftw.

Went to walkers for the first time last week in about 3 years. Was just horrible, and the way the wrap up food is shocking.

Went to dixies tonight and was very tasty. Dinner box ftw.

Im sorry but i have been going to Walkers for about 20 years and I never got horrible food there,the way the wrap the food is the traditional way,every chipper in Ireland should be wrapping the food that way.

Im sorry but when i said it to people they said they had stopped going there years ago that it just wasnt the same. I dont eat there fish but then again i dont anywhere, prefer to catch my own.

Is traditional wrapping one layer of paper around a chip and handed to you like that? No brown paper bag or nothing, had to carry everything seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

might as well chip in with my own 2cents! ;)

Best Chipper: Cleaboy, been going there since I was 3 years old. Nuncio remembers me and all :D

Best Chips: Johnny Walkers

Best Fish: Walkers

Best Battered Sausages: Brennans

Best Burger: McDonalds or Eddie Rocketts.

Best chicken breast,burger etc: Chickking formerly K Recipe. I usually buy 2 after a night out because they cut the fillets in half for the unsuspecting drunks.

Best Pizza: Dominos.

Jesus I'm starving.

Im sorry but when i said it to people they said they had stopped going there years ago that it just wasnt the same. I dont eat there fish but then again i dont anywhere, prefer to catch my own.

Is traditional wrapping one layer of paper around a chip and handed to you like that? No brown paper bag or nothing, had to carry everything seperate.

Yep thats the traditional way,but more than one layer of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Best Chipper: The Marion

Best Fish: Dooleys

Best Battered Sausages: The Marion

Best Burger: Dixies Buster Burger

Best chicken breast,burger etc: The Marion Chicken Fillet Burger

Best Pizza: Dominos

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Best Chipper: Johnny Walkers
    Best Value Chipper: Walsh's (Yellow Road)

Best Battered Sausage: Johnny Walkers
    Best Chicken Goujons: Walsh's (Yellow Road)
    Best Pizza: Pizza Hut Delivery
    Best Chinese: Blue Jade or Treasure Inn (Ballybricken)

Yep thats the traditional way,but more than one layer of paper.

Well it was just the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Dan133269 wrote: »
    might as well chip in with my own 2cents! ;)

Best Chipper: Cleaboy, been going there since I was 3 years old. Nuncio remembers me and all :D

Best Battered Sausages: Brennans

Best Burger: McDonalds or Eddie Rocketts.

Best chicken breast,burger etc: Chickking formerly K Recipe. I usually buy 2 after a night out because they cut the fillets in half for the unsuspecting drunks.

Best Pizza: Dominos.

Jesus I'm starving.

So the best chipper doesn't have the best chips,fish,sausage,burgers or Chicken :p I give them the best Curry Chip though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Best Chipper: Walkers

Best Chips: Walkers (best Scallops too)

Best Battered Sausage: Walkers

Best Burger: Not a fan of burgers

Best chicken breast,burger etc: Hillbillies

Best Pizza: Sopranos

Advertisement