Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Ireland Pre-Pay Mobile Broadband Dongle: €9 (out of stock online, try instore)

Options
  • 30-12-2010 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

50984-s.gif

3 Ireland are currently offering (Clearance Sale) a Huawei E1550 Mobile Broadband USB stick (on pre-pay tariff) for €9, including delivery. Details here.

It supports "up to" 3.6 [Mbps] download speed. (Good luck trying to get those speeds, consistently :-) ). Full technical specifications on this device here.

You can't get a better priced pre-pay mobile broadband dongle, as far as I can see, not even on ebay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

and go through bethrifty for 11.50 cashback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Serious thanks for this guys - was looking at getting a dongle to try out and this fits the bill as I think it also comes with 1GB free data allowance.

Yup looks like it comes with 1GB too. It just gets better and better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

does it need a sim for broadband only to work?
    so an extra 5?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Few questions about this:

Do I have to have a 3 mobile sim to use this?
    How do I pay for it, like the tariff for data downloads?
    Does it work with windows 7?
    Do you top up your data download allowance like buying credit or how does this all work?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Should I see the 11.50 on my betrifty account immediately after completing the transaction?

Tinie wrote: »
    Do I have to have a 3 mobile sim to use this? No one is included with modem.
    How do I pay for it, like the tariff for data downloads? Buy top up credit in shops or online. Top up your account & buy a allowance. 1 day/week/month
    Does it work with windows 7? Yes
    Do you top up your data download allowance like buying credit or how does this all work? Yes you buy credit either online or in strores.

Answers above :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

im on payg 3 dongle they are rubbish 10 euro for 2gb and internet speed painfully slow and whenever you ring them to complain all they say is "sorry sir but it seems to us you have very good signal in your area, then why the **** am i calling you then complaining about it ??????????????????????? my advice is steer clear

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Should I see the 11.50 on my betrifty account immediately after completing the transaction?

No, will take a few days/weeks to show.

Answers above :)
    I still dont really understand it...

It says pre pay in the OP, does that mean I top it up with credit like a phone and I cant charged that way or can some one explain it me? Thanks

• Advertisement

No, will take a few days/weeks to show.

Should it not show up as 'due to be paid' in my account. Just haven't used it before and wondering sorry for all the questions.

It is prepay. You buy credit online or in a store. Just ask for €10/20/30/40/whaever amount three credit. Go online via my3 and enter in the top up code. You will be asked do you want to convert it to an addon. You select which addon you want. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month access.

If the add on was less than the top up you can buy another addon with the balance. Hope that explains it..

I still dont really understand it...

It says pre pay in the OP, does that mean I top it up with credit like a phone and I cant charged that way or can some one explain it me? Thanks

ya you buy normal phone credit from the shops then go to the 3 website using your dongle as this website is always free to use then you click on top up an prepare to be ripped off and have painfully slow internet speeds enjoy :cool:

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Should it not show up as 'due to be paid' in my account. Just haven't used it before and wondering sorry for all the questions.

No it always takes a while to show up. Wouldn't suprise me if it took around a month.

It is prepay. You buy credit online or in a store. Just ask for €10/20/30/40/whaever amount three credit. Go online via my3 and enter in the top up code. You will be asked do you want to convert it to an addon. You select which addon you want. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month access.

If the add on was less than the top up you can buy another addon with the balance. Hope that explains it..
    Oh right cheers. Got a link to where I can see the tariffs and data allowance etc. for €10, €20 etc. top up?

colm1234 wrote: »
    ...prepare to be ripped off and have painfully slow internet speeds enjoy :cool:

Or in my case a steady 2.5+ download speed which is far better than my vodafone at home internet! Its luck of the draw really but for €9 you cant go wrong.

No it always takes a while to show up. Wouldn't suprise me if it took around a month.

Sound cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

you,d get quicker internet with a cloths peg, them dongles are all a rip off

Or in my case a steady 2.5+ download speed which is far better than my vodafone at home internet! Its luck of the draw really but for €9 you cant go wrong.

you must be living directly under a mast then :D seriously do you consider 35 euro for one month 20gb usage value for money ??????

you must be living directly under a mast then :D seriously do you consider 35 euro for one month 20gb usage value for money ??????

When you consider my only other option is constantly dropping, high ping & painfully slow adsl yes I consider 35e very good.

• Advertisement

Oh right cheers. Got a link to where I can see the tariffs and data allowance etc. for €10, €20 etc. top up?

http://www.three.ie/products_services/broadband/index.htm#prepayBB

When you consider my only other option is constantly dropping, high ping & painfully slow adsl yes I consider 35e very good.

well my only option is this 3 dongle but does not mean i should consider it good value because thats all i can get. they are a rip off because people take up this attitude and pay them anyway come on 10euro= 2gb = 2 films downloaded so thats 5 euro just to download a film not to mention it takes aroud 3 days to download

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

I Bought one of these today at the car carphone warehouse and was charged 28.99. I asked about the 9euro one and was told that was only for contract customers.
    after looking at the three.ie website it is in fact a prepay offer. the carphone warehouse obviously have have it wrong.

I dont mind either way cause I will be returning it next time im in town, all I am able to get out of it is 2 bar coverage and thats hanging it out the window!

We cant be having that when its pi$$ing raining out :mad:

Edit Bit¬
    Carphone warehouse definitly have it wrong, its priced at 49.99 on there own website LINK

spongbob wrote: »
    I Bought one of these today at the car carphone warehouse and was charged 28.99. I asked about the 9euro one and was told that was only for contract customers.
    after looking at the three.ie website it is in fact a prepay offer. the carphone warehouse obviously have have it wrong.

I dont mind either way cause I will be returning it next time im in town, all I am able to get out of it is 2 bar coverage and thats hanging it out the window!

We cant be having that when its pi$$ing raining out :mad:
    welcome to my world buddy :D take it back an let it stay there. trust me it will have you banging your head off the walls

well my only option is this 3 dongle but does not mean i should consider it good value because thats all i can get. they are a rip off because people take up this attitude and pay them anyway come on 10euro= 2gb = 2 films downloaded so thats 5 euro just to download a film not to mention it takes aroud 3 days to download

Well it is mobile internet not designed for heavy download and there is no contract so of course it will be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Just ordered through bethrifty. Thanks op. They're really expensive for data add-ons though. I'd rather if it was €10 for 1gb no-time-limit data as I will only use it very rarely (i.e., a weekend at a time) when I am away on holidays where meteor don't have coverage.

Will probably try unlock it after the 1gb is gone and use a vodafone sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Just ordered through bethrifty. Thanks op. They're really expensive for data add-ons though. I'd rather if it was €10 for 1gb no-time-limit data as I will only use it very rarely (i.e., a weekend at a time) when I am away on holidays where meteor don't have coverage.

I hope your not expecting your cashback any time soon, I bought a phone through Bethrifty on 21st of october I was logged in on the Bethrifty website and followed the link to vodafone ect and was promised 12.50 cash back.. several weeks later I sent Bethrifty an email asking when I should see the cashback in my account they said it could take up to 90 days ( 3 months ) 2 months later and still nothing - Never appeared on my account for payment pending or anything. So I doubt I will get it now..

Dear Sir

Yes please ensure you log into your BeThrifty account and visit Vodafone via BeThrifty. Please note that it will take 24-48 hours for the transaction to appear on your account and a further approx 60-90 days to be paid.

Many Thanks

Glenn

BeThrifty.ie | Shopping Online Makes Cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

from the t&cs
    "This offer is only available to new 3Pay broadband customers purchasing a 3Pay modem or 3Pay Modem SIM between 1st November 2010 and 31st January 2011 and activating their SIM Card before 16th February 2011.
    Eligible customers will receive 1 Gigabyte (GB) of data usage free which will be preloaded on to 3Pay broadband SIMs
    The usage is valid for 30 days from date of activation or if earlier, until consumed"

Anyone having a problem getting it accept cc details. Maybe have to wait till morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Jackobyte wrote: »
    let us know how you get on:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

wil wrote: »
    let us know how you get on:)
    I have a link to unlock huawei modems on my windows bookmarks. On ubuntu at the moment.

EDIT: Found it with google here. BTW, I've never tried it myself so if anything happens, don't blame me.

Advertisement