Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest half decent Android Tablet?

Options
  • 08-12-2010 8:09pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Are there any real basic & cheap but usable Android tablets available? I saw one a while back on some offer in my email for €120 which looked pretty decent but for the life of me I cannot find the thing. Thinking of getting one for xmas. I Just want it for the basics, I really cannot justify the price of an ipad etc

Any recommendations anyone?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Archos 101. Buy one in peats for e350. Has several bugs tho, waiting for software update. All other tablets are garbage, steer clear of samsung + toshiba.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, looks nice alright but not sure I've been enough of a good boy for santa to spend 350 on me. All I went it for is internet, reading pdf's etc really nothing difficult - mainly when I'm sitting on a plane or bored in the airport. Is there really nothing in the cheaper range worth a look?
    cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Recently bought myself a ZT-180 for around that price. Waiting on delivery of it. 10 inch screen. 1ghz processor. Resistive touch screen though (not so great, but it looks responsive enough in the youtube reviews). Really looking forward to it. Plays back 720p content no bother.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Anyone know much about these:

http://www.lightinthebox.com/wholesale-Android-Tablets_c4781

Any use or should I stay away?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id definitely go with the Advent Vega
    And if you load the custom Modaco rom on it you get all the google features :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

there were 2 of these left in maplin yesterday, dublin,cant find code now for the stock check... same as on ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.ie/7-Android-2-0-Netbook-Tablet-PC-Notebook-Netbook-M005-/190472836559?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item2c5910d5cf

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

If 7" is acceptable form factor (not too small), then Archos 70 is the best value there is atm, me thinks. Xtravision have them for 170euro. Highlights include, capacitive screen, 1ghz, froyo, full market (easy to sideload) and quite good reviews (sorry no links). Check out this community. Some people may prefer bigger resolution, but on 7" 800x480 is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

The Notion ink Adam looks like its finally going to be announced properly in the next day or so, and going on the specs its definitely one to look at.
    It should come with 2.2, and apparently will get an upgrade to 2.3 shortly after release.
    I've been keeping an eye on it since it was announced, hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a huge disappointment.
    http://www.notionink.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

If 7" is acceptable form factor (not too small), then Archos 70 is the best value there is atm, me thinks. Xtravision have them for 170euro. Highlights include, capacitive screen, 1ghz, froyo, full market (easy to sideload) and quite good reviews (sorry no links). Check out this community. Some people may prefer bigger resolution, but on 7" 800x480 is ok.
    Are you sure it's this model for 170 in Xtravision?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I wouldn't say so.
    Prob the 7 home tablet not the 70 Internet tablet..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Rooted Nook Color (good luck getting one).

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so.
    Prob the 7 home tablet not the 70 Internet tablet..

401px-Facepalm.jpg

Think you may be right. Will double check tomorrow. Although market can be loaded onto archos 7, it is a very different (lesser) beast to archos70 and not really that much of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I bought the ZT -180 too, it was delivered yesterday but its a pressie for my sons so it wont be opened til Chritmas day. Paid €202 incl del from America.

I hope its an ok model, im not computer savvy so hoping they wont be disappointed.

Khannie wrote: »
    Recently bought myself a ZT-180 for around that price. Waiting on delivery of it. 10 inch screen. 1ghz processor. Resistive touch screen though (not so great, but it looks responsive enough in the youtube reviews). Really looking forward to it. Plays back 720p content no bother.

What did you pay for your one?

Sorry to break this bad news to you....but I paid 130 for mine including delivery. I got it on pandawill. Now delivery takes forever so mine may not get here before Christmas. They do have a fast delivery option for another tenner. I'm just too scabby to pay it. :D

Can you give the link to the exact one, i might buy another one!!! I cant seem to see it.

Have you bought from this site before? And its 100% legit?

It's legit alright. They're not without people bitching about them, but overall it seems to be an ok site. I have not bought from them before. This is my first purchase from them and it hasn't arrived yet (though they say it has shipped). I bought it on the 1st of December.

Hmmm...here's the one on their site, but it doesn't list the reviews for me.

http://www.pandawill.com/zenithink-zt180-epad-new-version-10-inch-mid-android-21-wifi-720p-gravity-sensor-1ghz-cpu-rj45-adapter-silver_p37662.html

I found a 5% discount code on your first purchase in the reviews (which brought the price down to 130 euro). I note that this says "new version", whatever that means? (I know there were 1024x576 screens before the 1024 x 600 version...maybe that's it?)

edit: Maiden: Before you start using your, or your sons one, you should root it and do the txpower fix. I'll dig you out a link on how to do that. Not doing it can result in eventually arsing up your wifi transmitter as I understand it.

edit2: link: http://www.ibeau.net/tech/easy-root-txpower-fix-on-zenithink-zt-180/

edit3: The 5% discount code is 15450. Not a referal code. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

android 2.1 doesnt support flash though does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

What is the best tablet out there for the least bucks? How does the ZT-18o compare to the Mobii http://http://www.backfromthefuture.ie/product_info.php?products_id=1414&osCsid=598da4f94fc2afc4f6a7335d508398c6in Back From The Future shop in Dublin.

• Advertisement

android 2.1 doesnt support flash though does it?

There's "flash light" or something. I think that covers up to version 9.1. To be honest, having had an iPhone for the last year I can honestly say it doesn't really matter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the replies guys. The Zenithink looks great, and at a fantastic price, however it says battery life is only 2-3 hours??? I heard the ipad gets 8-10 - isn't there something somewhere in between??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Yep, there's 4-7.

Hang your head in shame Baza. Shame on you.

The battery life is actually better than that as I understand it. 3 with wifi on, 4 with wifi off. There is also a battery mod that you can do if you're brave enough (I currently am not) that will bring it up to around the 7-8 hour mark.

I couldn't find anything that compared to the zt-180 in its price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Bought a Point of View Mobii 7". To be honest, I'm dissapointed with it. Was told it's upgradable to 2.2.......but according to POV website, it's not ...yet. I've tried to download some apps, but failed. Goes so far, and then restarts. Shop has no problem in taking it back, but is checking if it can be upgraded to 2.2. I made it clear that I was only interested in it if it can run Flash. Would be interested if anyone else has experience of them. Cost me 179. At this stage, I'm tempted to return it and pay the extra for the Archos 10".

The device needs to have ARMv7 cpu or better to run flash, irrespective of which android version is on it.

Hmm I really cannot decide between the Archos 101 and the ZT-180. I really really did not want to spend 350 - but reading some reviews of the ZT it says that the wifi antenna is awful and you have to be pretty much right beside the router or it drops.

I'm expecting mine to arrive next week. I think that wifi issue gets sorted with the txpower fix I linked earlier in this thread. I'll let you know.

Good review here of the Zenithink:

Going to order one tonight. How long does Delivery take? Did anyone get stung for taxes at customs etc?

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    It's legit alright. They're not without people bitching about them, but overall it seems to be an ok site. I have not bought from them before. This is my first purchase from them and it hasn't arrived yet (though they say it has shipped). I bought it on the 1st of December.

Hmmm...here's the one on their site, but it doesn't list the reviews for me.

http://www.pandawill.com/zenithink-zt180-epad-new-version-10-inch-mid-android-21-wifi-720p-gravity-sensor-1ghz-cpu-rj45-adapter-silver_p37662.html

I found a 5% discount code on your first purchase in the reviews (which brought the price down to 130 euro). I note that this says "new version", whatever that means? (I know there were 1024x576 screens before the 1024 x 600 version...maybe that's it?)

edit: Maiden: Before you start using your, or your sons one, you should root it and do the txpower fix. I'll dig you out a link on how to do that. Not doing it can result in eventually arsing up your wifi transmitter as I understand it.

edit2: link: http://www.ibeau.net/tech/easy-root-txpower-fix-on-zenithink-zt-180/

edit3: The 5% discount code is 15450. Not a referal code. :)

Khannie how do you apply the discount code I'm trying to order now...
    tx

Advertisement