Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When choosing a dog why....?

Options
  • 25-11-2010 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that when someone enquires about getting a pure breed dog that quite often that people recommend that people should adopt from a dog pound or shelter. Why give this advice if the OP is specifically looking for certain breed with good characteristics.

Its very admirable*adopting dogs from shelters but they are not for everyone.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I agree completely that the general get a recue dog instead posts are completly off topic. If posters know of a particular dog of that breed that is in a rescue or can recommend a breed specific rescue then that's fair enough but other than this these posts are off-topic and if reported will be removed by mods straight away. I started a thread a while back with the purpose being an informative resource on the specific health issues of various breeds from the perspective of those who own them, half the posts were telling people this is why they should get a rescue dog instead and claiming cross breeds where problem free/much healthier etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

If someone isn't looking specifically for a pup to show or certain work / sports a rescued purebreed from a reputable rescue can make a good alternative to going to a breeder, especially in this current economic climate there are some excellent purebred dogs being surrendered to shelters.
    You will get a dog who is temperament tested, health tested, s/neutered, chipped and vacc'd for a nominal fee plus you get to give a dog a home. Win, win situation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'd imagine part of the suggesting a rescue is that many people aren't aware that rescues and shelters are full of purebred dogs as well as cross bred dogs, and also if peope are inexperienced if can be easy to buy a dog from a bad breeder but a rescue will health check, temprement check, vaccinate and neuter the dog before they adopt it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The other thing is ...when you choose a pup from a breeder you're buying an idea. Good breeders have waiting lists and you basically commit to "your" dog before it's even born.

Getting a dog from a rescue, you have a choice. You can look at the (more or less) finished article and compare.

Especially for first timers the "seeing in the flesh" without the obligation to take it home immediately can be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There are many breed rescues which deal specifically with certain breeds. If I were after a pedigree I'd definitely check those first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

I met a great number of people who would choose a pure breed only because they know somebody with that same breed and they are in love with. Many people is not even aware that there are shelter with lots of dogs both pure breed or cross breed all equally good.
    Another good reason for adopting a dog is that as much as puppies looks fantastic, to rise one is not an easy task, especially for working singles or couples. Instead adopting a already grown up dog means no problem with chewing, no problem with house training, good chance to get over quickly with separation anxiety issues and, of course, the humanitarian factor.
    If the OP is opening a discussion about what dog to choose, in the end of the day means that he/her is willing to discuss the topic; if there is no interest in a rescue dog OP can simply skip the post and read the next one. I don't think that there is nothing wrong in remembering to everyone that out there there is an umbelievable number of fantastic dog looking for an home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Not everybody is aware that the shelters are teeming with pedigree dogs as well as crossbreeds.

There was a post a while back from someone who hadn't realised that shelters were full of puppies, they thought they only had grown dogs!

People in Ireland can be very ignorant when it comes to shelters, it's no harm to point it out the facts in case they are not aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

In saying that though, who knows the origins of a pure breed dog in a shelter? When people come here asking about buying a puppy, we all give them advice on how to choose a good breeder, see the parents, how to avoid puppy farms etc. If I wanted another cav, I would want to do all that homework to make sure I'm getting the best and healthiest dog. We all know the health issues with cavs, for example, and I for one would be wary of getting one from a shelter as there are so many questions they couldn't give an answer to. what's it's breeding history (i.e interbred with family, from a puppy farm etc), what's its family's health history (i.e heart murmers, syrngomyelia, luxating patellas etc). You say a rescue health checks but surely that's a once over from a vet and such? I wouldn't expect a PB GSD in a rescue to have IKC papers, family history and hip scores from it's parents? I know there are thousands of dogs in reScues but if someone wants a specific breed that is known to have health issues (pugs,cavs GSDs) etc then would a rescue dog not be a bit of a lottery in the future? Just a thought and I have great respect for rescues and rescuers so I'm not slating them or anything. in fact I'd love to run an Akita rescue some day.

adser53 wrote: »
    In saying that though, who knows the origins of a pure breed dog in a shelter? When people come here asking about buying a puppy, we all give them advice on how to choose a good breeder, see the parents, how to avoid puppy farms etc. If I wanted another cav, I would want to do all that homework to make sure I'm getting the best and healthiest dog. We all know the health issues with cavs, for example, and I for one would be wary of getting one from a shelter as there are so many questions they couldn't give an answer to. what's it's breeding history (i.e interbred with family, from a puppy farm etc), what's its family's health history (i.e heart murmers, syrngomyelia, luxating patellas etc). You say a rescue health checks but surely that's a once over from a vet and such? I wouldn't expect a PB GSD in a rescue to have IKC papers, family history and hip scores from it's parents? I know there are thousands of dogs in reScues but if someone wants a specific breed that is known to have health issues (pugs,cavs GSDs) etc then would a rescue dog not be a bit of a lottery in the future? Just a thought and I have great respect for rescues and rescuers so I'm not slating them or anything. in fact I'd love to run an Akita rescue some day.

I agree with you to any extent, in no way am I against anyone buying from a breeder, my own three dogs where aquired that way but it is nice to put forward the option of rescuing as many peoples' image of rescued dogs are mostly mixed breeds.
    It shouldn't be an either or situation imo, both options should be given to someone looking for a dog so they can make the best decision for their situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

lrushe wrote: »
    I agree with you to any extent, in no way am I against anyone buying from a breeder, my own three dogs where aquired that way but it is nice to put forward the option of rescuing as many peoples' image of rescued dogs are mostly mixed breeds.
    It shouldn't be an either or situation imo, both options should be giving to someone looking for a dog so they can make the best decision for their situation.
    I agree with you there and like others have said, most people think shelters only have older crossbreeds which we know isn't the case. I'm all for promoting rescues but buying a dog from a good breeder is ok too and sometimes that gets lost in threads where "go to a rescue" type replies are a majority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I've noticed that when someone enquires about getting a pure breed dog that quite often that people recommend that people should adopt from a dog pound or shelter. Why give this advice if the OP is specifically looking for certain breed with good characteristics.

I would wonder why not give this advice! Breed characteristics are the same in rescue dogs as in puppies from a breeder are they not? The only difference is that you do not generally know the history of a rescued animal. I imagine the majority of posters here are dog lovers and as such the current situation with thousands of poor dogs being put to sleep for want of a good home every year is extremely distressing to them and as such advising somebody to consider a rescue dog is the right and ethical thing to do. Saving a life in my opinion should always be the first option unless you want to show or work your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I just want to explore this a little bit more and ask why you say this? Aside from the fact that you miss the 8 months or so of "cuteness" in a puppy, what do you get from a purchased pup that you don't get from a rescue dog?

There seems to be an attitude in many quarters that a dog taken from a rescue will have behavioural problems, will be aggressive against people and other animals and overall is a lot of work. Whereas a puppy is fresh and new and no hassle at all.

Perhaps it comes back to the percieved Irish attitude that pets are property and if you go to a rescue you're getting pre-owned or damaged goods?

Rescues can have behavioural problems, I don't think anyone would dispute that. But not to any great extent. It could be as simple as a fear of loud noises. Of course, given that case, it's very rewarding to see a rescue's attitude and confidence change as it responds to your care and attention.

seamus wrote: »
    I just want to explore this a little bit more and ask why you say this?

Here's my situation, I've 3 dogs, I bought all 3 of my dogs from breeders as I work full time and my dogs are outside when I'm not home, I'm thinking there are more people in the same situation. My youngest dog is almost 17 months so I won't be getting anymore dogs for 5-10 years and when I do I want my next dog to be a rescued greyhound as I've had them before, they are terrific dogs and there are so many in need of homes. I am hoping by then to be home more so I will be a better candidate.
    I think rescuing is great, both my parents dogs are rescues and that is why I always give this as an option to people looking for dogs however I myself just can't rescue at the moment.
    I can also understand peoples' desires to to buy from a breeder they can vet for themselves. There are some lovely purebred dogs in rescues but one must also keep in mind that the majority will most likely have come from BYB's because reputable breeders will always take their dogs back, my 3 dogs have sales contract which includes the fact that they go back to their breeders if I can no longer look after them, they will never end up in shelter. With this in mind, as another poster pointed out, you need to keep in mind their health history. With a breeder pup you get more of an insight into their future health, no guarantees of course but they are in a slightly better position from that point of view.
    As I've said I can see both side, neither should be pushed down someones throat of course but both should be explored by someone looking for a dog so they can make the best descision for them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I just want to explore this a little bit more and ask why you say this? Aside from the fact that you miss the 8 months or so of "cuteness" in a puppy, what do you get from a purchased pup that you don't get from a rescue dog?

In my case I had very specific requirements which all had to be met. I have a very active lifestyle and I wanted a dog that would be part of my life as a whole and fit in with that lifestyle. I have 4 young kids here on a daily basis and a bunch of rescue horses so I had to either know the whole history of the dog and ensure I was being told the complete truth about it or start with a blank slate that I could mould into what I wanted it to be, I chose the later and I honestly couldn't be happier about the decision as it is turning out brilliantly. It also involved a little bit of selfishness in that having had dogs all my life this is the first 'brand new' puppy I've had since I was 4 (which was a terrier cross that was born blind, I overheard the owner tell my father it would be drowned and screamed untill he agreed to bring it home with us :o). I had always fancied the challange of rearing a puppy up to adulthood. This last point really wasn't a deciding factor though, more of an aside.

<ETA> My first experience of posting on API was a thread asking for an owners perspective on a few breeds I was looking into, basicly all I got were posts telling me that I had gone for very active breeds, I wouldn't be able to handle them and I should get a rescue dog anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I have a siberian husky here that has just turned one and I have his papers, he is registered. He is stunning, the reason he ended up in rescue was because his owner had very low fencing and he went to play with some sheep. He's coming to Galway tomorrow for his first mushing experience, going by his size and speed, I think he's going to be a fantastic sled dog:D

I have had a good number of dogs come into me that were IKC or KC registered, mostly a change in owner's circumstances led to them being surrendered.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

When i initally was looking to get my dog I did look at rescuing a dog and was completely put off rescuing becasue i rang a rescue centre in Munster bout a puppy i had seen on the website that i wanted to find out more about one of the first questions i was asked was did i work full time and i said yes i was then told Sorry no we won't let you adopt a dog someone has to be there with the dog. Now i understand a dog has an adjustment when it comes to your house but I was told no way would they let me have a dog and I have to say I will not look at rescuing a dog again. I have to say I was soo put off of a rescue centre then and just decided to go to a breeder to get my dog which i did and now have a beautiful cav.

Unfortunately tho I did do research on the breed but not enough research on my cav's breeding background but against that you live and learn and while he has had health issues he is fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DonnchaMc

I agree completely that the general get a recue dog instead posts are completly off topic. If posters know of a particular dog of that breed that is in a rescue or can recommend a breed specific rescue then that's fair enough but other than this these posts are off-topic and if reported will be removed by mods straight away. I started a thread a while back with the purpose being an informative resource on the specific health issues of various breeds from the perspective of those who own them, half the posts were telling people this is why they should get a rescue dog instead and claiming cross breeds where problem free/much healthier etc.

To be honest i think a lot of it started as a campaign to encourage people who werent sure or were in 2minds about details to consider an IGNORED option etc.. but it kind of has run out of control a bit with every pet comment being diverted to adopting and now people just repeat what they have pumped with for so long ( i mean no disrespect)

Adopting is a great idea, but its not for every1

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

kiersm wrote: »
    When i initally was looking to get my dog I did look at rescuing a dog and was completely put off rescuing becasue i rang a rescue centre in Munster bout a puppy i had seen on the website that i wanted to find out more about one of the first questions i was asked was did i work full time and i said yes i was then told Sorry no we won't let you adopt a dog someone has to be there with the dog. Now i understand a dog has an adjustment when it comes to your house but I was told no way would they let me have a dog and I have to say I will not look at rescuing a dog again. I have to say I was soo put off of a rescue centre then and just decided to go to a breeder to get my dog which i did and now have a beautiful cav.

Most rescues wont allow you to take a puppy unless someone will be there for the day. Its because they need to be fed so often during the day. We got a pup from a rescue last year, my father is out of work so at home all day. The pup also had to be kept inside.

My friend bought a cav a week before we got our pup. Instead of feeding him 4 times a day like she was supposed to she switched his meals to twice a day straight away and his growth was clearly affected. He used to go at least 9 hours without a meal. And she had him living outside from january because he wasnt toilet trained. But no one was at home to train him! our dog stayed inside until may.

If you wanted a dog to show then I def agree with going to a breeder. But if it is just for a pet then the size and temperment you want is more important. We have no idea what breed our dog is. But he was just so friendly that we had to have him. Our only requirement was that we wanted a small to medium sized dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Just wanted to point out that rescues quite often know the history/background of the dogs in their care. This is particularly true of purebred dogs, because generally those dogs are surrendered as unwanted, rather than picked up as strays. We can learn a lot about the dog from the family that are relinquishing it - even the details of the breeder and the dog's IKC papers. The number one reason that purebred dogs are surrendered is, as peasant put it, they were bought as an "idea" and the owners honestly didn't anticipate just how much training and exercise goes into keeping them happy and sane members of the household.

Also I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of pups bought in this country come with no health checks done, no pedigree history... Hell, they're lucky if they have been wormed! I think it's great if people have a particular breed in mind and go to a very caring, responsible breeder to source their pup. But in fairness most people just buy their pet off the small ads. It's a complete lottery as to what health problems that pup will suffer in the future, and what it's temperament will be like. So in that case, the person might as well get the same breed from a rescue, where at least they'll be able to get an idea of the dog's temperament and the rescue will have checked for some of the health problems associated with the breed. And the dog will be neutered, wormed and vaccinated.

There seems to be an attitude in many quarters that a dog taken from a rescue will have behavioural problems, will be aggressive against people and other animals and overall is a lot of work. Whereas a puppy is fresh and new and no hassle at all.

Great point Seamus! I have two dogs, one I got as a 12 week old puppy and one when she was about ten or twelve months. While the puppy was tremendous fun, she was also really hard work for those first months. I was lucky that I was studying at home at the time so I could give a lot of time to housetraining her and breaking up her meals. I can't imagine how I could take on a puppy while working full time. All the training would take much longer, I'd have less time to socialise her, and it would break my heart to leave a little pup on its own for eight hours a day. Plus my little pup grew into a very nervous adult dog with issues around other dogs and she is very fearful of people she doesn't know. It's mostly down to genetics in her case - her type has a predisposition to fearfulness/shyness if not socialised rigourously early in life. Her parents should never have been bred from as their pups shared their nervous disposition.

My other dog, the one adopted when 10/12 months old is an absolute dream who has never put a paw wrong - in fact she has just qualified as a therapy dog and we'll be visiting a retirement home weekly soon. She is as closely bonded to me as if I'd had her from a tiny pup. :)

I wouldn't swap my first dog for the world, but when I adopt another dog in the future, I'll definitely go for an adult, because the dog's temperament will already be clear to see and the puppy phase will be over (along with all the hard work and time that goes with it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Why do people get so hung up over breeds & their supposed characteristics ?. Dogs reflect their owners far more than their breed. There is this huge misconception that one breed of dog is more trustworthy, gentler, easier to train etc etc etc.

I have met hundreds of dogs & they are individuals not breeds. Whatever trait you assign to a breed there will plenty of examples that buck the perceived trend. I have just spent some time with the distraught owner of a beautiful St Bernard that has just bitten for the third time.

Why do many of us suggest a rescue ?. Maybe because we are sick to death of the fact that thousands of wonderful dogs die unnecessarily every year. If just some of the people that buy a puppy took a rescue we could save a lot of lives.

Now here is a suggestion. Breeders love dogs so how about a an agreement to reduce the number of puppies being bred & a campaign to save unwanted dogs from being killed. Lets get our killing down to the level of other comparable countries & then we can all start buying pedigree puppies with a clear conscious.

If you love dogs I cannot understand how you can buy a puppy & not save a life instead. It really is that black & white.

Sorry Rabbit but i dont agree with you there, my OH was at home at the time and when i got my cav i took some time off to spent with him and train him etc and we never fed him 4 times a day we only ever fed him twice as thats what his breeder had been doing and I guarantee you it has not halted his development in any way, as far as cav's go my dog is huge!!! :) and we did all the socialising, training etc that was needed while i was working full time as he is my dog I wanted to do it myself and my OH helped me. We took him to a trainer etc, i did at one time think bout breeding from him but changed my mind as he's not suitable for that. I think if rescuing is for you great but thru my own personal exp I won't be rescuing because of the attitude of the person i spoke too. I have to say having had him froma puppy I've learned loads thanks to him and eventho he was & is hard work sometimes i still wudn't have gotten him any other way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

kiresm, you seem to be basing your opinion of all rescues on one phone call with one individual. Its a shame you are choosing to write off a rescue dog on that basis alone

I'm not cos before i got my first dog I went to a rescue centre a few times looking for a dog and i could never see one i liked or wanted. So initally i did think bout rescuing a dog but i wanted a puppy and unfort i couldn't get one and as time went on i decided to buy a dog because then i could decide what i was getting and pick what i wanted.

The rescue will only be thinking of the pup's best interests, and it is widely accepted that a young pup should not left on its own for long stretches. Sure a lot of people get a pup when they are out working all day and will tell you the pup is just fine. Personally I don't agree and neither do most rescues. We just want what's best for the pup - it's usually come from a pretty sh*tty situation and we want to make up for that with the best possible start in its new home.

I agree with you boomerang but i wasn't told that i was just rudely told no way there wasn't any discussion or wasn't explained to me why. The person just told me a flat out no. I understand why now as i've had to house train my cav etc but her attitude on the phone left an awful lot to be desired, I was in the animal rescue in Kilfinane and the peps there couldn't have been nicer or more helpful but my opinion has been coloured by the other person i talked to at some other rescue mite i add not the one in Kilfinane. But i had my heart set on a puppy & i could never seem to get one at a rescue so that's another reason i went to a breeder

There is no excuse for rudeness, I'm really sorry you had that experience.

Me 2 but now i have a most beautiful cav who is the most lovable pet & is currently sitting with me keeping me warm so I still came out the best end of that one. My only fear is how many other people has she put off rescuing an animal with her attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

just ask a vet how many dogs are destroyed each year in ireland, it's a ridiculously large number. It's logistically and ethically a more intelligent choice to rescue and abandoned dog, imop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kiersm wrote: »
    I was in the animal rescue in Kilfinane and the peps there couldn't have been nicer or more helpful but my opinion has been coloured by the other person i talked to at some other rescue
    It's such a pity that you had a bad experience and a good one and the bad one is the one which has coloured your view on rescues. :(

Some of them really need to be more careful of how the public sees them. You get some people who just can't deal with people. Please don't let it put you off if you're ever going to get a dog again.

Advertisement