Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sights and Sounds of 9/11

Options
  • 04-09-2010 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Anyone just see this documentary on Channel 4?

I thought it was really good, loads of footage I hadn't seen before... also the emergency radio conversations were neatly laid in

For anyone who missed it you can watch it on Channel 4 OD http://www.channel4.com/programmes/1...ca/4od#3119675

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Yeah I found it interesting to watch. 9 years went quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

I just watched it, the quietness of some of it was very eerie (as expected).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

hard to believe it's 9 years :eek: I was just starting 6th year when it happened...

sigh, I'm getting old :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I was in work. The first reports said 'plane crashed into....' and for some reason in my mind I had pictured a Cesna or some similar light aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Not seen the documentary but I'll never forget that day, prob the last time I cried for non family reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Just watched it - was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

I was pulling a sicky from school and so watched it all live on the tv.

For anyone who missed it you can watch it on Channel 4 OD http://www.channel4.com/programmes/102-minutes-that-changed-america/4od#3119675

Highly recommend it :)

It was actually called 102 minutes that change America... my bad:P

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Brilliant documentary.

At first I was a bit disappointed with no commentary in the background explaining what was going on but its amazing how little words and more visual images adds to the intensity of what happened,like you can almost place yourself there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's a great documentary alright.. it's a bloody scary scenario and was laid out very well through personal footage and candid dialogue. It really puts into perspective how people reacted to it before all of the political weight was added to the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

was this the one made from footage people shot, and pieced together chronologically? if so, I've seen it, and I thought it was excellent, very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Really good documentary.

Outside of the harrowing nature of it, the way that some of the deserted streets were captured with the light coming through the thick dust were eerily beautiful: like weird moonscapes.

Brought you right back to the panic and disbelief of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭last name ever. first name greatest

Cmdr Keen wrote: »
    Anyone just see this documentary on Channel 4?

I thought it was really good, loads of footage I hadn't seen before... also the emergency radio conversations were neatly laid in

For anyone who missed it you can watch it on Channel 4 OD http://www.channel4.com/programmes/1...ca/4od#3119675

TV Forum >>>> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=227

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Needlessly long name Forum >>>> ... Oh wait, yeah that doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I thought of this the other day - imagine if Twitter had existed in 9/11 to the extent it does today.

That'd have really been something - messages from the Towers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

hmm call me cynical but loads of that looked staged to me very odd some of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I remember i was in the bookies and was more concerned about winning back the money i had lost than watching it, 9 years:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

catthinkin wrote: »

you're quite cynical

I remember i was in the bookies and was more concerned about winning back the money i had lost than watching it, 9 years:eek:

obviously you didn't relise the significance of what was happening or you have one hell of a gambling addiction... which is it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

It was an excellent document.

It was almost like the aftermath of a nuclear attack in certain sections and was quite unsettling. There was a lot of footgae that I'd never seen before

well isnt strange nobody was swearing ?? they all seemed quite composed considering the situation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

well isnt strange nobody was swearing ?? they all seemed quite composed considering the situation ?

No one said much at all, seemed more shell shocked

erm I heard swearing... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Staged? I'm not so sure.

However, there are some reasonable questions that remained unresolved shall we say.

I was never entirely sold on the idea of it being staged but I believe it's reasonable to ask if more could have been done to prevent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Amercians dont sware as much as people think!

I thought some parts showed how people didnt grasp the reality of the situation
    anyone see the partwhere the guy was explaning
    "I was 15 minutes from being in that building, I work in there!"
    "wow you must know alot of people in there"
    "yeah everyone on my floor, BUT I was 15 minutes from being in there, Monday night football saved my life! 15 minutes"

As other posters said alot of previously unseen footage, IMO alot of other documentries teel the story through someones eyes with there opinion ie. with commentary. I think the great thing about this one is there is no commentary and you listen to your own thoughts abot what you would think if you were there and not what someone in commentary would be saying.
    I found the part where the camera was in Times Sq. and the part Itilain guy ( I think) said "we should be going to war right now" This comment was made before it was stated who carried out the attacks. I feel Different opinions for George Bush now, If the majority public out look was anywhere near that guys outlook then he would have been under sever pressure to go to war in the first place.

ok well maybe i am wrong but it just felt like a nice repackaged sanitised version of what happened . The couple with the cutes kids in the apartment going oh my lord those poor people when people were falling out of the towers. When in reality when people were falling out of the building people in the streets were laughing and shouting for them to jump and cheering when they did.

I would prefer a documentary on the attack on the pentagon havent seen many on that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

anyone see the partwhere the guy was explaning
    "I was 15 minutes from being in that building, I work in there!"
    "wow you must know alot of people in there"
    "yeah everyone on my floor, BUT I was 15 minutes from being in there, Monday night football saved my life! 15 minutes"

Thought he just sounded in shock myself.

Or just American, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

If the guy who said that there was 30 or 40,000 people per building was correct then it was actually an incredibly good rescue effort that the total was 3,000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

stovelid wrote: »
    Thought he just sounded in shock myself.

Or just American, maybe.

I suppose its unfair for me to judge! I cant put myself in his position!:o

Advertisement