Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Barcelona Results Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

shels4ever wrote: »
    another 800m world record :)

Did you see it? How good did he look?

Breaking it twice in quick succesiion indicates that there is more there. A low 1.40 could be on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Did you see it? How good did he look?

Breaking it twice in quick succesiion indicates that there is more there. A low 1.40 could be on the cards.

Didnt get to see it, online feed packed in after about 100m and then just got to see the time.

I liked the way he raced the other night too, can see him going unbeaten for a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

1 Wallace Spearmon USA 19.85
    2 Angelo Taylor USA 20.23
    3 Marc Schneeberger SUI 20.42
    4 Paul Hession IRL 20.72
    5 Matt Davies AUS 20.82
    6 Roberto Donati ITA 20.89
    7 Lancford Davis JAM 21.07
    8 Alessandro Cavallaro ITA 21.44

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Damn it that link cut off to show La Liga!!!:mad::mad:

Any live feed for Zagreb? The links on myp2p wont work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

http://veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#4c7e769e4059f

The veetle link is working but it's a bit jumpy. Derval is running in 2 mins

Derval 6th (of 7) in 13.18. Lolo Jones won in 12.87. I dont know what the wind reading was, but i'm guessing there was a headwind, otherwise they are some very slow times.

From reading her blog it seems like she is dying for the end of the season to come. Lets hope she can pull one great race out of the bag on sunday.

Blanka entertaining the home crowd here. Just gone clear first time at 2.02. She went 2.08 here last year. Can we dream of a World Record? Unlikely as she hasnt been jumping as high this year but if she is going to do it then no better place than in Croatia!

04072511 wrote: »
    Blanka entertaining the home crowd here. Just gone clear first time at 2.02. She went 2.08 here last year. Can we dream of a World Record? Unlikely as she hasnt been jumping as high this year but if she is going to do it then no better place than in Croatia!

A bit optimistic from me there! 3 failures at 2.05. A pity.

Tyson Gay wins in 9.91

Anyone got a link to the Continental Cup? The link on myp2p has basketball at the moment!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Great run by David Greene to win the 400mHurdles in 47.88. Rypakova jumped 15.25m to win the Triple Jump. :eek:

Men's 5k, huh? Why not make it a 400m race? Bell in 13:06, Lagat wins the sprint in 51.6.

Have to say I'm really enjoying this. The new format is so much better than the old one where countries competed against continents!

The al-jazeera link is a nightmare for me today. It just keeps "buffering" and stopping and starting and the screen starts freezing aswell at times. I missed Derval's race as a result. I've tried refreshing so much that I've just given up at this stage! Anybody else having the same problem.

Official results from the 100m Hurdles

http://www.iaaf.org/documents/pdf/4435/AT-100H-W-f--1--.RS1.pdf

Derval 5th in 12.99. She got off to a great start and from what I could see she was well up there at the half way point. Faded badly though by the looks of things. Not a great run at all to be honest. Her post Barcelona from has been patchy, but deserves a well earned break now after a great season.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

Cragg listed to run in a stellar field at next Sundays Philadelphia Half Marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Last Sunday Galways Gary Thornton came a very creditable fifth position in the Great Yorkshire 10k in a time of 29.30 . The race was won by Craig 'Buster' Mottram outsprinting Britains Chris Thompson over the last quarter mile or so. Great running by Thompson to come that close to beating Mottram. Thornton only 40 seconds back on the pair.

Last Sunday Galways Gary Thornton came a very creditable fifth position in the Great Yorkshire 10k in a time of 29.30 . The race was won by Craig 'Buster' Mottram outsprinting Britains Chris Thompson over the last quarter mile or so. Great running by Thompson to come that close to beating Mottram. Thornton only 40 seconds back on the pair.

Forget Bolt V Bekele, what the Athletics public needs is Craig "Buster" Mottram V Andreas "The Stick Thrower" Thorkildsen. Maybe it could be some sort of Duathlon event. We can dream anyway :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

Fagan 7th: 01:03:24
    Thornton 14th: 01:05:24
    McAllister 19th: 01:06:46

Full results:
    http://www.greatrun.org/Results/Default.aspx

May have slipped by without notice but Cragg followed his solid half marathon the week before with a 3.58.xx mile on the road in the 5th avenue mile to finish 17th. Both him and Fagan (13.55 5k winning) showing good ranges after their respective half marathons. Both should probably look to focus almost solely on their road racing careers now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Gordon Kennedy followed up his semi final appearance in the European track champs with a score of ten on the odd one out quiz on the ray darcy show today. An excellent score.

Gordon Kennedy followed up his semi final appearance in the European track champs with a score of ten on the odd one out quiz on the ray darcy show today. An excellent score.

Did Gillick show up for the team version of it? Gordon may not talk to him again if he didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Was "Murphy, Gregan, Gillick, Kennedy" a question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

thirtyfoot wrote: »
    Was "Murphy, Gregan, Gillick, Kennedy" a question?

yeah he answered Gillick and explained he was the only one who didn't run on the relay. Ray took the point away as he said while Gillick was the correct answer the reason he was the odd one out was because he had run sub 45 seconds. Pity a score of 11 would have been magical :D

Very worryingly the provisional list for the World Half is released and no Irish look like taking part?

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/document/competitions/competition/05/84/91/20101011095112_httppostedfile_at
    .el2-1_22539.pdf

NCAA Prenationals XC

Mens Blue Race

Ciaran O Lionard 10th
    Dave Rooney 11th
    Craig Murphy 35th

Class running from these guys in a loaded field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭downwithfacses

great to see o lionard showing his annual flash of brilliance
    big step forward for dave rooney...great to see him making progress
    craig murphy..fantastic to see him proving that steven macklin was a crap coach and that ricky santos and gavin kennedy are bringing the best out of him

great to see o lionard showing his annual flash of brilliance
    big step forward for dave rooney...great to see him making progress
    craig murphy..fantastic to see him proving that steven macklin was a crap coach and that ricky santos and gavin kennedy are bringing the best out of him

Are you kidding me? Under Macklin Craig was Irish National cross country champion in both schools and clubs
    3k Irish National champion in schools
    Top Irish Finisher at the 2008 World Junior XC Championship finishing 48th overall
    Top Irish Finisher at the 2008 European Junior XC Championship finishing 19th overall and is times as a junior were savage

800: 1:55
    1500: 3:50
    3k: 8:20
    5k: 14:28

I think Macklin did a great job and he did not go near these times during the summer on track proving to me that Iona havent been at there top since the loss of Mick Byrne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭downwithfacses

first of all, it's a bit much to call his track times as a junior as 'savage' seeing as he never qualified for any major track champs be them european or world juniors...so you'll have to take that statement back...savage times=making it to at least a european juniors...your hyperbole is baffling in this regard

secondly, being top irish juvenile at a time when his contemporaries were hardly setting the world on fire is not worthy of him being some kind of saviour to irish distance running. it's not hard to be the best when you're not up against much...and hang on, before ye all say crap like 'you can only beat what's in front of you', i accept that..but no one talks about the schools 400m champs from back in the day when we were weak in sprints and how 'savage' they were..murphy was a good, solid junior who capitalized on a down year talent wise.. we're always hearing from the greats likes sonia and jerry that we just don't have the talent coming thru. in the 800 and 1500 we've got good junior guys coming thru but not in the longer distances.

also, last time i checked he ran 819 indoors for 3k last year..isnt that faster than 820 he ran as a junior?? you said that he didn't touch any of those times in his first year at iona...clearly you were wrong and should check the stats before making statements that clearly are not even true.

as far as iona not reaching the heights since mick left...last time i checked iona finished 2nd in rickys first year (defeating mick's wisconsin badgers in the process)..lost their 2 top runners (ledwith and khadrouri) and still came 8th the next year (2009) and now theyve reloaded and should be in the hunt this year again for a top ten finish...hardly a complete slump from the days of mick byrne...even you would have to admit that no?
    as far as my statements that macklin isn't much of a coach, it's my opinion...he had a decent runner in murphy so it wasn't hard to have success given what murphy was racing against and murphy being a talented runner.

now we'll start to see what murphys made of and so far hes turned his career around on the back of this great result at prenats and hopefully he keeps it going and finishes top 100 at ncaas...i think that would be a fantastic result for him.
    as far as your post...there are several holes in your argument and maybe you shouldn't buy so much into the macklin hype machine. he's a nice guy, but hardly the svengali you seem to believe he is...Iona will be the making of craig murphy...not steven macklin.
    ecoli wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? Under Macklin Craig was Irish National cross country champion in both schools and clubs
    3k Irish National champion in schools
    Top Irish Finisher at the 2008 World Junior XC Championship finishing 48th overall
    Top Irish Finisher at the 2008 European Junior XC Championship finishing 19th overall and is times as a junior were savage

800: 1:55
    1500: 3:50
    3k: 8:20
    5k: 14:28

I think Macklin did a great job and he did not go near these times during the summer on track proving to me that Iona havent been at there top since the loss of Mick Byrne

first of all, it's a bit much to call his track times as a junior as 'savage' seeing as he never qualified for any major track champs be them european or world juniors...so you'll have to take that statement back...savage times=making it to at least a european juniors...your hyperbole is baffling in this regard

secondly, being top irish juvenile at a time when his contemporaries were hardly setting the world on fire is not worthy of him being some kind of saviour to irish distance running. it's not hard to be the best when you're not up against much...and hang on, before ye all say crap like 'you can only beat what's in front of you', i accept that..but no one talks about the schools 400m champs from back in the day when we were weak in sprints and how 'savage' they were..murphy was a good, solid junior who capitalized on a down year talent wise.. we're always hearing from the greats likes sonia and jerry that we just don't have the talent coming thru. in the 800 and 1500 we've got good junior guys coming thru but not in the longer distances.

also, last time i checked he ran 819 indoors for 3k last year..isnt that faster than 820 he ran as a junior?? you said that he didn't touch any of those times in his first year at iona...clearly you were wrong and should check the stats before making statements that clearly are not even true.

as far as iona not reaching the heights since mick left...last time i checked iona finished 2nd in rickys first year (defeating mick's wisconsin badgers in the process)..lost their 2 top runners (ledwith and khadrouri) and still came 8th the next year (2009) and now theyve reloaded and should be in the hunt this year again for a top ten finish...hardly a complete slump from the days of mick byrne...even you would have to admit that no?
    as far as my statements that macklin isn't much of a coach, it's my opinion...he had a decent runner in murphy so it wasn't hard to have success given what murphy was racing against and murphy being a talented runner.

now we'll start to see what murphys made of and so far hes turned his career around on the back of this great result at prenats and hopefully he keeps it going and finishes top 100 at ncaas...i think that would be a fantastic result for him.
    as far as your post...there are several holes in your argument and maybe you shouldn't buy so much into the macklin hype machine. he's a nice guy, but hardly the svengali you seem to believe he is...Iona will be the making of craig murphy...not steven macklin.

Granted savage was prob a bit too strong of a word but certainly quite talented times the more impressive is the range which is something similar to that of John Travers.

Regarding that 3000 if you compare that one second to the 15.XX he ran that season and 3.53s it seems that this was the height of the season. Granted this could have been down to adapting to new mileage or new training from the US but in the peak development stage of his career his times should not be so stagnant.

His first year in charge 2nd yes but how many of them were recruited by ricky. I think the next 2 to three years will show rickys talents as a coach/ recruiter

I wish Craig the best of luck and he has made a great start to the year hope it may continue. I am not buying into the "macklin hype" to be honest i dont even know the chap but i do know what he is done with craig murphy and a few others and felt to call him a crap coach and make an all out attack on him is a bit harsh

I should hope that Iona is the making of him sure isnt that why he went the fact that he is in the age in which development is at his highest means that these are the years in which he should be making the biggest strides towards developing into a competitive Irish distance runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

downwithfaeces seems to have a bit of a chip there. I was down in Cork a while back. Went to Macklin Towers. Impressive setup. There were 3 or 4 people working full-time on the PR and Marketing of Brand Macklin...............are you having a laugh, I hear he is bringing out a shoe soon once he gets the waffle maker up and running again. Macklin Hype Machine, I've heard it all now, that is hilarious.

All athletes should improve as they get older. Those that don't are probably burnt out and had the **** run out of them in late teens. For those that continue to improve in early-mid-late 20s you could look at what their formative coach did. That coach may have built a foundation of training, a work ethic, an appreciation of whats required when it comes to being consistent in your sport. We see loads of kids who go to the States (or elsewhere for college) who stagnate. In most cases the **** was ran out of them in their teens by coaches who wanted to win the club title here or a medal there.

The fact that Murphy may be improving now is probably of credit to his formative coach who has guided him to this and laid the foundations. We have many athletes who go to the States (or elsewhere for college) and stagnate. Its not that their Irish coach is better than the US coach, its usually their Irish coach ran the **** out of them and when the intensity is lifted further in the States they are found out and can't handle it as they don't have the stomach or the appreciation for the battle.

While entitled to your opinion, its a pretty astonishing attack on Macklin who after all is out there doing it, coaching, mentoring and doing his shift for the sport and getting on with it. If we had more of him we'd be doing all right I tell ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

thirtyfoot wrote: »

While entitled to your opinion, its a pretty astonishing attack on Macklin who after all is out there doing it, coaching, mentoring and doing his shift for the sport and getting on with it. If we had more of him we'd be doing all right I tell ya.

+1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement