Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olive oil unhealthy when heated!

Options
  • 26-07-2010 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Unfortuanately I can't find a link for this but this was published in Sunday World Magazine yeasterday.
    Don't use unsaturated oils like olive oil to cook with
    These are excellent as salad dressings, but in fact unsaturated fat is extrememly unhealthy and carcinogenic when heated. Saturated fat is far more stable for cooking with. "If you have to fry something, I'd recommend that you go back to using real butter. Or if you are roasting you could use goose fat instead of oil," says Alison Kingston, nutritional therapist.

Is this scaremongering? For the past 10 years I have only used organic extra virgin olive oil for frying and roasting. I wouldn't be happy to use saturated fats whatsoever, so I'd prefer to dry fry which I do anyway whenever I can. But roasted carrots and parsnips - they'd taste vile with goose fat!

I've put the title into google, and a few pages were brought up which seem to prove this point.

In the words of Victor Meldrew - I don't believe it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Go for coconut oil. Yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Does it not taste, em, coconutty?

I couldn't imagine it on my carrots!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Not really. Its an excellent medium chain fatty acid which means its readily available for the body to use as energy (much like carbs). I use either coconut oil or butter when frying. Might try the goose fat though, never tought of that. Yeah olive/sunflower etc become unstable beyond certain temps and so can become rancid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kelle wrote: »
    For the past 10 years I have only used organic extra virgin olive oil for frying and roasting.
    extra virgin is never meant to be used for cooking, I expect if you read your bottles it already has it written on them. I have heard other olive oils are OK for cooking, you can get mild/light ones in supermarkets, these are light in taste, not calories. But I have read sat fats are probably better.
    I wouldn't be happy to use saturated fats whatsoever,
    Well coconut oil is very high in sat fat, I fry all the time with it, I enjoy the light coconut taste, though I am usually cooking chinese food or pancakes which it goes with. I also fry in lard & butter, I prefer the coconut oil as it is meant to be quite healthy so actually use more fat than normal.

rubadub wrote: »
    extra virgin is never meant to be used for cooking, I expect if you read your bottles it already has it written on them. I have heard other olive oils are OK for cooking, you can get mild/light ones in supermarkets, these are light in taste, not calories. But I have read sat fats are probably better.

I never even thought to read the label - I thought I was doing so much good for my family and I!
    Well coconut oil is very high in sat fat, I fry all the time with it, I enjoy the light coconut taste, though I am usually cooking chinese food or pancakes which it goes with. I also fry in lard & butter, I prefer the coconut oil as it is meant to be quite healthy so actually use more fat than normal.

I wouldn't be as queasy about using this, I will try it. Thinking about frying in animal fat turns my stomach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I never even thought to read the label - I thought I was doing so much good for my family and I!

I wouldn't be as queasy about using this, I will try it. Thinking about frying in animal fat turns my stomach!
    thinking about frying in olive oil turns my stomach - denatured oil swimming around your body!!

Transform wrote: »
    thinking about frying in olive oil turns my stomach - denatured oil swimming around your body!!

That post is discriminatory towards denatured oil (that's a new one by me!).

At least it won't clog your arteries!:pac:

And it looks the same in the pan afterwards - no horrible white layer forming when cooled - bleurgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

This one seems to have been gaining a following in recent months, my mother said it came up at her nutritionists last week as well.. quoting:

''When extra virgin olive oil is heated above 350 °F (177 °C), the unrefined particles within the oil get burned. This leads to deteriorated taste and possible toxicity due to the creation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons''

I'm using cocunut oil (and no, it doesnt taste cocunutty- not if you heat it sufficiently before putting in the food- also it makes a great mosturiser!) and sesame oil.. the latter needs steam applied too if you're stir frying, or else things tend to burn

The evidence against heating olive oil is definitely mounting and a lot of it makes sense, so i'm only using it for salad dressings these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Does saturated fat clog your arteries?

That post is discriminatory towards denatured oil (that's a new one by me!).

And it looks the same in the pan afterwards - no horrible white layer forming when cooled - bleurgh!
    what a massive misconception so this might help -

“Although it is commonly believed that saturated fats and dietary cholesterol "clog arteries" and cause heart disease, such ideas have been shown to be false by such scientists as Linus Pauling, Russell Smith, George Mann, John Yudkin, Abram Hoffer, Mary Enig, Uffe Ravnskov and other prominent researchers. Dr Stephen Byrnes www.powerhealth.net

“On the contrary, studies have shown* that arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats, particularly polyunsaturated ones(e.g. olive oil), and not the saturated fat of animals, palm or coconut.” Dr Mary Enig
    * Felton CV et al. Dietary Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids and Composition of
    Human Aortic Plaques. Lancet. 344:1195. 1994.

Its in more detail in my article on this - Fats that heal - http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/fats-that-heal-fats-that-kill/

its a starting point in getting your basics right with regards to fats and their benefits.

• Advertisement

Sat fat will clog your drain, thats about it, I let it go cold so it sets then scrape it into the bin, that is one other advantage it has over oils which are harder to get rid of.

Trans fats are the bad ones to watch for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

crete / italy / greece have been using olive oil to fry for centuries
    and the cretan diet is one of the healithiest in the world

so i wouldnt worry about it , just use refined ( light ) olive oil - this looks yellow and runs thin.

dont use the heavy green virgin stuff to fry .

I'll use up what I have left of my current bottle (it did cost a bomb!) and I'll definitely buy coconut oil next time.

Rubadub and ULStudent, where do you buy Coconut oil? i've tried Dunnes and Tesco - no luck. I got grapeseed oil instead as it was stated on the label it is suitable for shallow and deep-fat frying!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Great thread, I never knew this. I'll be converting my frying oil to either coconut oil or butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

This is actually very old news, any oil when heated is not good and olive especially should be used cold. I attended a talk many years ago given by Udo Urasmus of Udo's oils if anyone is familiar with it and he was very interesting on the whole topic. He had a book called I think, Fats that heal Fats that kill or something like that. It was very interesting and I have always used clarified butter to fry with since then, mind you he disagrees with frying in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I love butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I'll use up what I have left of my current bottle (it did cost a bomb!) and I'll definitely buy coconut oil next time.

If it cost a bomb, the last thing you should be doing is cooking with it, irregardless of health issues. That's like putting sirloin beef into a stew. Extra virgin olive oil is more expensive as it has the least defects; this is what gives it a stronger olive taste. Once it has been exposed to any serious heat it loses the flavour that you paid for. You're as well off cooking with a €3 bottle of olive oil out of Lidl. In the states, extra virgin olive oil is labelled "fancy" - keep your fancy stuff for dressings and dips, cook with the plain stuff under low heat, and if you're frying, use something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

DaDumTish wrote: »
    crete / italy / greece have been using olive oil to fry for centuries
    and the cretan diet is one of the healithiest in the world

so i wouldnt worry about it , just use refined ( light ) olive oil - this looks yellow and runs thin.

dont use the heavy green virgin stuff to fry .

Traditionally they also use lard and butter when frying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Would ghee be a good bet?

It does quite well on the smoking point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

• Advertisement

Rubadub and ULStudent, where do you buy Coconut oil? i've tried Dunnes and Tesco - no luck. I got grapeseed oil instead as it was stated on the label it is suitable for shallow and deep-fat frying!

I got 1L for €6 in the spice bazaar shop in blackrock market in dublin -"double horse" brand. Coconut oil is not cheap, most asian supermarkets will have it, I think I have seen it a little cheaper in others. That double horse brand is not virgin oil however it did have trans fats listed as 0g so that should show it is not hydrogenated (which I hear some could be). In health food shops you can get virgin coconut oil but it costs a fortune. I would save your olive oil for salads, somebody else mentioned sesame oil, that is usually not fried too, just added to cooked food at the end, not sure if it goes bad or just destroys the taste -I think a bit of both.
    taconnol wrote: »
    Would ghee be a good bet?
    Not sure but it is also got in that shop in blackrock, expensive but cheapest I have seen was in that shop.

here are threads on coconut oil http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055946359
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055238028

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I just ate the equivalent of 3 heaped tbs of ghee with my breakfast... wonder how that'll turn out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I got 1L for €6 in the spice bazaar shop in blackrock market in dublin -"double horse" brand. Coconut oil is not cheap, most asian supermarkets will have it, I think I have seen it a little cheaper in others. That double horse brand is not virgin oil however it did have trans fats listed as 0g so that should show it is not hydrogenated (which I hear some could be). In health food shops you can get virgin coconut oil but it costs a fortune. I would save your olive oil for salads, somebody else mentioned sesame oil, that is usually not fried too, just added to cooked food at the end, not sure if it goes bad or just destroys the taste -I think a bit of both.

I'm beginning to feel that virgin coconut oil is just a marketing ploy tbh...Does anyone know what criteria are required before a product can be considered virgin coconut oil, what processes it has to go through or can't go through?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I'm beginning to feel that virgin coconut oil is just a marketing ploy tbh...Does anyone know what criteria are required before a product can be considered virgin coconut oil, what processes it has to go through or can't go through?

Has to be cold-pressed using solely mechanical means as far as I understand. Not sure if there's any advantage though. I do know that generally due to it's incredibly long shelf life, non-virgin coconut oil is rarely hydrogenated. Can't understand the massive difference in price between EVCO and the stuff you buy in Asian supermarkets. Price gouging??

Ah, just found this:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/what_is_virgin_coconut_oil.htm

Not the most unbiased source considering that they sell the stuff, but it would seem that the differences relate to method of extraction, anti-oxidant content and whether or not it has been bleached and deodorised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The stuff I buy in the asian shop isn't deorderised, it still smells and tastes of coconut. That link says there's no industry standard, so I'm going with marketing ploy by health food outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

I'm pretty sure there is an industry standard for virgin coconut oil, however there is no differance between extra virgin and virgin coconut oil! Coconut oil is also one of the most stable oils when heated and doesn't go rancid.

I love love love coconut oil, I originally started to use it last summer as I developed an allergic eczema on my feet, nothing would clear it except the coconut oil, i also use it to cook with and I eat it by the spoon sometimes as it's great for boosting your metabolism, everyone needs this stuff, It use it on my skin, in my hair and it also cleared up my babies nappy rash, it's amazing! You'll get it in any health shop or probably in Asian food shops, shop around though because prices can vary a good bit. I sound like i'm selling the stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I use seasme oil when stir frying..

I must give Coconut oil a try and see what it tastes like?

The stuff I buy in the asian shop isn't deorderised, it still smells and tastes of coconut. That link says there's no industry standard, so I'm going with marketing ploy by health food outlets.
    agreed and not as big a difference between say the bog standard olive oil and extra virgin olive oil.

I would just go for the cheaper option

Advertisement