Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut Oil

Options
  • 21-06-2010 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭

Been advised to take this by the nutritionist I go to, been taking it a few days now and i love it,definitely feel more hungry since iv been taking it.

Anyone else use this amazing stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭LeahK

Makes your more hungry? was going to try it but will hold off if it increases your appetite!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

LeahK wrote:
    Makes your more hungry? was going to try it but will hold off if it increases your appetite!eek.gif
    Never heard this. Go ahead and use it. Its' spectacularily good for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭LeahK

Its on the shopping list,

I've heard a load about it recently but am unsure about how to take it etc. What does it actually do?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Never heard of coconut oil increasing appetite, in fact livestock farmers in the 1950's tried supplementing their animal's diets with coconut oil in an effort to fatten them up only to find that they got leaner as a result! Different digestive systems than humans obviously but I though it was an interesting result.

If you still find it increases your appetite then it makes a great moisturiser and make-up remover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It can be used as a regular cooking oil. Don't be fooled by the amount of saturated fat and that saturated fats are all bad. Majority of it is available for the body to use quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I just bought a jar of the biona organic virgin coconut oil. Have to say it's quite yummy and is also helping with my sunburn :D

Is there a recommended brand? And do we need to buy virgin for food and skin purposes?

taconnol wrote: »
    I just bought a jar of the biona organic virgin coconut oil. Have to say it's quite yummy and is also helping with my sunburn :D

Is there a recommended brand? And do we need to buy virgin for food and skin purposes?

That's the brand I get, I'd be very surprised if there was any difference in other brands tbh.

I actually haven't seen non-virgin oil for sale but I've only been looking in healthfood shops.

I use mine as a tanning oil so I can maximise vitamin D production in the skin in a shorter space of time (20 mins midday sun) - DON'T do this if you have fair or freckly skin - I also endevour never to get burnt. It seems to result in a more brown tan although I could be imagining that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

That's the brand I get, I'd be very surprised if there was any difference in other brands tbh.

I actually haven't seen non-virgin oil for sale but I've only been looking in healthfood shops.

How much does it cost you in the hf shops? I get it for €2.30 per 500ml in the asian market on Mary St. The labelling is spartan to say the least. Reckon there's a quality difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I also get the small jar of Biona. Do you just put it on your skin like EVOO or Sunflower? Is it good for sunburn? Im a bit burned after waterfall diving in the sun yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭anneboleyn

is it good for digestion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

anneboleyn wrote: »
    is it good for digestion?

Works wonders for you if you are finding yourself in a bit of a bind ;) 2 tspns will do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I use it on my hair its fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

When i say it makes me more hungry,I think thats because it pumps up your metabolism a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

sillymoo wrote: »

What do you do with it for your hair?

sillymoo wrote: »

I slather it on my hair too, you need to melt it first though. You need to shampoo the heck out of it to get it off but it's worth it.

It really has replaced so many bottles in my bathroom it's not funny.

Re: the virgin/non-virgin question, I reckon if it's not hydrogenated then it's ok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

It really has replaced so many bottles in my bathroom it's not funny.
    What else can you use it for? I've heard mixing it with sea salt makes a good body scrub.
    Re: the virgin/non-virgin question, I reckon if it's not hydrogenated then it's ok.
    Through my shameless use of wikipedia, I think if it isn't virgin, it's RBD - refined, bleached and deodorized. Although I'm not sure what impact that would have on the characteristics of the final product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

My stuff doesn't explicitly say its virgin oil, I got it from the asian shop. They also have special jars for hair care and stuff, dunno if there's any difference, the cosmetic stuff might possibly be processed to be soft enough to squeeze out or something. Must check/buy some when I'm in again.

What else can you use it for? I've heard mixing it with sea salt makes a good body scrub.

Through my shameless use of wikipedia, I think if it isn't virgin, it's RBD - refined, bleached and deodorized. Although I'm not sure what impact that would have on the characteristics of the final product.

You'd know about it if it were deodorised, the smell is distinctive when it hasn't been. Why the hell would they bleach it? Isn't is already white? I guess refined usually means heated and some solids are removed.

I use it as:

Hair mask
    Make-up remover
    Body moisturiser
    Face moisturiser
    Lip salve
    Spot cream (it's antibacterial)
    After-sun
    Tanning oil

It's supposed to be great for eczema too..

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

So i finally got my hands on some coconut oil today. Got the Holland & Barrett tub for €15.99. Think I can probably get it a bit cheaper somewhere else but was just dying to try it out after hearing so many good things about it.

Used it to fry some veg for dinner and I have to say the taste of the veg was amazing. Totally different taste to other oils.

Also had a bite of the oil off the spoon and it wasn't too bad. Is it good for constipation?

I also put a little bit on my arm in the car on the way home. It blended into my skin nicely but I think the smell would put me off using it as a moisturiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

It makes a great overnight hair masque, you can add in a few drops of chamomile oil for blonde hair or rosemary oil for dark hair too. If your hair is really damaged add a few egg yolks and cover your head in cling film for a few hours, totally repairs it! You can add nice essential oils to it to make it more appealing as a moisturizer too, I make one with coconut oil, cocoa butter, citrus (orange, lemon, mandarin, grapefuit and lime) and bergamot esential oils it's excellent and smellls really tasty ;)
    Geez that would want to be one hell of a tub for 16 euro though :eek: I think you got burned there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Asian shops as mentioned. I got 1L for €6 in the spice bazaar shop in blackrock market in dublin -"double horse" brand
    If it is hydrogenated it should have trans fats. My stuff had nutritional info and trans fats listed as 0g. Dunno why they would hydrogenate it unless it is in really hot countries or something.
    Through my shameless use of wikipedia, I think if it isn't virgin, it's RBD - refined, bleached and deodorized.
    Mine is not virgin, and definitely smells of coconut. Wiki is often wrong, esp. on stuff like that, dunno why they would be so definite about all of it having all 3 processes.
    Sapsorrow wrote: »
    If your hair is really damaged add a few egg yolks and cover your head in cling film for a few hours, totally repairs it!
    I steal those plastic bags for meat or bread in tesco, they are a perfect fit for my head! I leave them on overnight. I have (had!:D) scalp psoriasis and used it to moisturise, along with UVB light therapy and my psoriasis is now 99% gone after only about 5 weeks. The UVB is what really did most.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Whats the best way to get good quantities of coconut oil into you. Recommended is 3 tablespoons a day, 1 with each meal?
    I wasnt eating anything that I could put oil into so had some with orange juice and hot water but felt really sick afterwards, my mouth tasted like I had soap in it! Yuk! Any advise I dont wanna give up after one try. :o

alanajane wrote: »
    Whats the best way to get good quantities of coconut oil into you.
    I cook with mine, like oat pancakes with lots of oil, I like greasy food so it is no problem for me. Or cook eggs in it, I put some chilli in it like franks hot sauce as the coconut taste on its own can seem a bit odd with some foods. I imagine it would go very well with curries as many would have coconut anyway.

I fry on a low heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Obaraten wrote: »
    does it go great with oatmeal?
    Dunno about straight with it, but flapjacks were mentioned the other day. It is solid at room temp so should work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Apparently 3 tablespoons a day is the optimum amount of coconut oil to take - it is very hard to eat large amounts of coconut oil or any fat. I have been experimenting with it for a few weeks and find the easiest way to take it internally is to melt a tablespoon it in a little boiled water, top up with milk or water and add a few drops of vanilla extract and drink - it shouldn't be nice but it is lovely. I have it every morning on my cereal, do the above but I leave out the vanilla and pour over my cereal, really nice. I have spread it on toast instead of butter which I thought I would hate but again it is lovely and if I am frying any food now I use it. I have found a huge difference in my skin - much softer, clearer and tans much easier than ever. It also stops food cravings, I don't want so many sugar hits anymore and eat far less bread. Energy levels much better and PMT much easier to handle. I also rub on my skin and hair after a shower. I would only use raw organic oil as anything else has been tampered with which takes away the beneficial properties - it costs more but is well worth it. I have been using Biona which is good but last week bought Veridian which is expensive but is very high quality. There are some videos on YouTube and the link here is a good starting point to find out more on the basics.
    http://www.coconut-connections.com/faqs.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Why not use extra creamy coconut milk, it's easy to incorporate into foods (add to smoothies, porridge, fruit salads etc) and has a very high fat content, plus it's delicious!

A tip for coconut oil if it is in a bottle is to heat it in hot water and pour it into an old sauce jar. Then you can spoon it out easier. I have some in the fridge now and it goes very hard, I was able to scrape it with a fork and it all flakes off and looks like dessicated coconut.

I then grated some sweet potato, diced some onion, mixed in an egg, franks hot sauce and garlic, cornflour and some water and then mixed my cold scraped coconut oil in. I put it in one of those "tosta bag" things and popped it on a george foreman after squashing it down flat. These toasta bags are great since they keep the grill clean and keep all the oil in, also the moisture coming off steams the food so cooks it well.

Mine is not an actual tosta bag but the magic brand ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What's the end result like, a potato cake/rosti sort of thing? Sounds interesting, I'm trying to like sweet potatoes more lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I doubt the health benefits, but it's a great replacement for sunflower oil if you want to cook authentic-tasting Indian food.

Advertisement