Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Buffalo Wings with Franks Sauce

Options
  • 18-06-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

I spent a bit of time trying to copy the wings in Elephane and Castle and I have come up with a very close match ;-)

Obviously you need Franks hot sauce.

2233425972_b35707e1ce.jpg

You can get this in several places, see other threads (Fallon and Byrne etc.)

Then add ghee, Pride was the one I found good in Aisa Market on Drury St, D2.

egyptian3-thumb.jpg

Mix 70% hot sauce with 30% ghee in a pan and heat till hot enough.

Whisk it to combine the sauce and fat.

The more you heat it the less punch the hot sauce will have.

Make about 10g/ml for each wing.

They are real close to E&C!

Any suggestions or variations are welcome ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I usually just use butter but am interested in trying Ghee instead.
    I could also use the Ghee for homemade Sheek Kebabs and the likes,i`m always meaning to pick some up.
    Was it expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mayflyatr

Love the stuff, have it on everything!!! You can buy ready made wing hot sauce.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Ghee is about €4 for 500g, about 3g per wing so not dear.

The ready made stuff is truly awful, knock this up to compare ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

make your own ghee, it's just clarified butter.

It is but the results are better with this product than kerrygold ;-)

Also it lasts forever as there is only fat and no milk solids in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Add a tablespoon or two of white wine vinegar - it gives the sauce a kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mayflyatr wrote: »
    Love the stuff, have it on everything!!! You can buy ready made wing hot sauce.:D
    no you can't. what you can buy is franks with some crappy artificial butter substitute in it and pay twice the price for something half as good.

anyone who can't melt some actual butter in a pan with their franks hot sauce shouldn't be allowed to eat it at all. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mayflyatr

I don't feel that strongly about it. :p
    vibe666 wrote: »
    no you can't. what you can buy is franks with some crappy artificial butter substitute in it and pay twice the price for something half as good.

anyone who can't melt some actual butter in a pan with their franks hot sauce shouldn't be allowed to eat it at all. :p

The milk solids and salt in butter ruin the flavour.

Try the ghee and see what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

cgarrad wrote: »
    Try the ghee and see what i mean.
    i used to know a pimp that used that same slogan. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

when do you guys ad the sauce to the wings? Before or after cooking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I baste the wings about 10 mins in and then constantly until the end of cooking time. YUM!

Just had them. Not even close to Eddie rockets buffalo wings

Sonovagun wrote: »
    Just had them. Not even close to Eddie rockets buffalo wings

Eh Eddie Rockets wings are what we are trying to avoid.....

Elephant and Castle is the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I tried them with that exact ghee and it wasn't as nice as butter imo... too oily.

+1 for the white wine vinegar. It's crucial!

Eh Eddie Rockets wings are what we are trying to avoid.....

Elephant and Castle is the goal.
    What you on about Eddie Rockets wings are gorgeous!

Stop trolling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Any suggestions or variations are welcome ;-)

Very similar, mine was a tiny bit less hot at 60/40. See here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Great thanks for the tip off. My brother tried this sauce before and warned me off it - said it was ridiculously hot! Obv there are ways around that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

looking forward to trying some of these tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mr j tayto

Try cooking the wings first, when they are done throw them into a bowl and smother in Franks sauce just on its own,absolutely delicious, nyum nyum. however something that nice cant possibly be good for you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Where can I get Franks sauce in Cork???:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Where can I get Franks sauce in Cork???:o

Dunnes in Douglas Court of Supervalue in Grange.

Not found it in the city centre yet!!
    (Tesco Paul Street had it a while back but delisted it as they're competing in the Most Disimproved Tesco in Ireland Awards - they should win too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dunnes in Douglas Court of Supervalue in Grange.

Not found it in the city centre yet!!
    (Tesco Paul Street had it a while back but delisted it as they're competing in the Most Disimproved Tesco in Ireland Awards - they should win too!)

Update:

Dunne's on Patrick Street have it in stock now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What's the deal with this sauce, it seems quite famous on boards. :pac: Don't think I've ever seen it on sale, must track it down some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What's the deal with this sauce, it seems quite famous on boards. :pac:

Not just on boards. Frank's is now officially the best hot sauce in the world :)

In stock in any Superquinn, €2.99

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Thanks lads, heading into town on the hunt for it this evening, also this is semi off topic but has anyone on here from the meath area ever eaten in a place called francinni's in trim? they have the ultimate wings but the sour cream you get with is unbelievable! Wondering does anyone know whats in it or any good suggestions of your own would be appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nails by sinead

I just love love love buffalo wings, since living in new york several years ago i always remembered the guys in the kitchen flaming up buffalo wings with lovely cool blue cheese dressing. I always fry the chicken wings in corn flour an flour, remove, then toss in buffalo wing sauce. I buy the wing sauce, franks, in dunnes stores in the sauces aisle. Cook them once or twice a month, a fav in my house.
    Gregsor wrote: »
    I usually just use butter but am interested in trying Ghee instead.
    I could also use the Ghee for homemade Sheek Kebabs and the likes,i`m always meaning to pick some up.
    Was it expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nails by sinead

HI, you can buy a buffalo wing sauce in dunnes stores, brand name is FRANKS. its in the sauce aisle. fry ur wings in corn flour an flour, remove, them mix ur sauce with warm ghee butter an add the wings, toss an serve, use a v cool light dressing as in blue cheese or type in the blue cheese recipe to google an make ur own, so yummy, we eat these all the time, hot hot hot, enjoy......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 tdiman

anyone care to give some step by step instructions on the cooking process from start to finish. I've asked a few folks about getting the elephany and castle recipe just right - some mentioned oven baking the wings orther have mentioned deep frying? Nails by Sinead - you mention 'I always fry the chicken wings in corn flour an flour'....?

Thanks!

Advertisement