Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Customers - Get out of contract!

Options
  • 16-06-2010 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!
    O2 are changing call charges outside the bundle of minutes included in your iPhone Price Plans from 12th July 2010.
    This change in call charges constitutes a change to the terms of the contract between O2 and you, the customer. Therefore you are free to be removed from contract without penalty.
    The changes in rates are minimal but you might just want to get yourself out of contract.
    Act fast though because if you do not contact O2 requesting to be removed from this contract in advance of 12th July you will be assumed to be accepting of the change in terms.

All info available on O2.ie under 'Terms and Conditions'

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/conne...r+Notification

Your welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Shredneck wrote: »
    O2 are changing call charges outside the bundle of minutes included in your iPhone Price Plans from 12th July 2010.
    This change in call charges constitutes a change to the terms of the contract between O2 and you, the customer. Therefore you are free to be removed from contract without penalty.
    The changes in rates are minimal but you might just want to get yourself out of contract.
    Act fast though because if you do not contact O2 requesting to be removed from this contract in advance of 12th July you will be assumed to be accepting of the change in terms.

I'm getting a not found on your link. http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About%20O2/Terms+and+conditions/Customer+Notification should work. Well done for spotting this and thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Thanks for the information. I'm about 6 months into my 18 month contract, so where would this leave me should I contact O2 looking to get out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm about 6 months into my iPhone contract also and was hoping to get the new iPhone 4 when its released. Presumably I won't be allowed upgrade but if I do this does that mean its the end of my number or will O2 issue me with a prepay sim on the same number?

I like O2 and despite many reported flaws theyre the best provider for me. I'd also like to get the new iPhone4 on bill from O2, will cancelling this affect my chances of that happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

The Link Does not link Too anything ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

If I buy a I phone now and sign up too bill pay.

can I use the get out of jail free contract thing ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Very good question I was just going to ask myself - anyone have a view?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You will probably find the new customers are going directly on to the new contract and this only effects existing ones.

SOunds to me like you have to leave O2 if you exercise this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would love to know this!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Our company O2 A/C manager told us that if anyone rang up and said they rejected the changes then they wouldn't apply to them and they would be left as is for the duration of their contract.

They're counting on people not being aware of the changes and automatically accepting them by default.

• Advertisement

Our company O2 A/C manager told us that if anyone rang up and said they rejected the changes then they wouldn't apply to them and they would be left as is for the duration of their contract.

They're counting on people not being aware of the changes and automatically accepting them by default.

Even that sounds like they're pulling a fast one. The notice on the O2 website says:

Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) regulations 2003 an operator shall not shall not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification. If you wish to exercise your right under Regulation 17 please contact O2. The continued use of O2 services after the effective date of the change is deemed acceptance of the change.

Doesn't say anything about O2 being able to withdraw the proposed modification on an individual basis and hold you to the original contract. I suppose the best bet would be to call ComReg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Do you have to move your account then if you pull out of the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I wonder if they're leaving it open for O2 customers, affected by this change in contract, to leave without penalty and then sign-up again on a new contract with a new handset? No doubt current iPhone customers looking to upgrade to the iPhone 4 will be pleased.

One thing to note. O2 UK are allowing current iPhone customers to avail of an early upgrade, 6 months early, so they can avail of the iPhone 4; albeit it's a ploy to get them to stay on their network. It might be cynical of me to think this, but could O2 be giving customers a way in which they could do the same, i.e. allowing them out of contract and then allowing them to sign-up to a new contract in order to get the iPhone 4? The big difference, however, is that there's nothing stopping O2 Ireland customers from simply leaving O2 altogether and going to Vodafone for the iPhone 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Do you have to move your account then if you pull out of the contract?

No. Your account stays the same, same price plan same number just without the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I'm talking with one of their online agent now and he said this "We'd recommend see whether the changes do increase your costs." sounds like a trap to me.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 24 irishstu

From what I've read on the o2 forums when I was seeing what my options are for an iPhone 4 upgrade, if you are out of contract and want to sign up as a new customer, you have to leave o2 (i.e. not be a customer of theirs) for three months before you can sign up again. I guess this is because they typically offer better deals to new customers than existing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shamrock135

Yes i can confirm what shredneck has stated.. i called O2 and asked..im now a free agent!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

O2 are being idiots lately. What are they up to? With the speakeasy data cockup, uk roaming etc etc. They must want to lose customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

It worked for me!

They had to look up how many minutes I used per month, as they said it wld only apply if I went outside the minutes on my plan.
    Although I went over on my minutes, it was because I had free weekend and eve calls.
    I argued that this was a free add on and I cld change AND that I had agreed to 20c calls and not 22c calls.

I think she agreed to end the commitment just to get me off the phone!
    Nice one OP! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The title of this thread should be changed, It's all o2 bill pay phone customers who can get out of contract not just iphone customers.

• Advertisement

Just spoke to them, told them I want to exercise my right under reg 17 to withdraw from my contract. She said that's fine but I will have to go to another network. I told her that's not part of the t&cs and that I was previously on the o2 network without being under contract. Some one will ring me this afternoon to baffle me with bull :D They must think folks are thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

that link no longer works and its not on the o2 site anymore?

i called this morning, and asked again, nice girl said yes no problem you can withdraw from contract, asked could i put the number ok speakeasy and she said sure no problem, and did it there and then!!! its a bit of hit and miss who you talk to.. so the number was taken off contract then converted to speakeasy, thus not encurring termination charges!!

but its a bit worrying that that page is no longer on the o2 site.. have they changed their minds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

ingen wrote: »
    that link no longer works and its not on the o2 site anymore?

i called this morning, and asked again, nice girl said yes no problem you can withdraw from contract, asked could i put the number ok speakeasy and she said sure no problem, and did it there and then!!! its a bit of hit and miss who you talk to.. so the number was taken off contract then converted to speakeasy, thus not encurring termination charges!!

but its a bit worrying that that page is no longer on the o2 site.. have they changed their minds?

Link is still there http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About%20O2/Terms+and+conditions/Customer+Notification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DunkXL

Hi everyone

Can somebody please tell me if this is works for o2 Ireland customers only?
    I'm in the England and was wondering if I can take advantage of this too.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I have considered moving but Vodafone but they are way too expensive and Meteor & 3 are not worth going to so it looks like I am stuck :(

DunkXL wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Can somebody please tell me if this is works for o2 Ireland customers only?
    I'm in the England and was wondering if I can take advantage of this too.

Thanks in advance

It's an EU-wide regulation, so you should be able to, but only if your contract with O2 in the UK has similarly changed. Just because it's changing for Irish customers doesn't necessarily mean yours is too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DunkXL

gizmo555 wrote: »
    It's an EU-wide regulation, so you should be able to, but only if your contract with O2 in the UK has similarly changed. Just because it's changing for Irish customers doesn't necessarily mean yours is too.

Ok cool,thanks for your reply.

angel01 wrote: »
    I have considered moving but Vodafone but they are way too expensive and Meteor & 3 are not worth going to so it looks like I am stuck :(

Your right about Vodafone there more expensive than o2 but i doubt the 1.5 million odd peope on 3 and meteor would agree with you, they all left 02 and Vodafone already and there in rush to move back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Your right about Vodafone there more expensive than o2 but i doubt the 1.5 million odd peope on 3 and meteor would agree with you, they all left 02 and Vodafone already and there in rush to move back

I am looking for a data plan, moving to Vodafone for 45 Euro per month with 2gb data is less than what I am on now. I pay 40 Euro per month, 100 off net texts, free o2 calls & texts, 150 minutes, 10 MMS and unlimited internet with O2.

Vodafone are simply too expensive. Meteor have issues with their internet and cant cope with smartphones so they are out. That leaves 3 and most of their packages are false advertising.

• Advertisement

angel01 wrote: »
    That leaves 3 and most of their packages are false advertising.

Which ones are false, there cheaper than o2 and Voda, you can also tether with their data add on's not like o2, voda & meteor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement