Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swype

Options
  • 12-06-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

*I have only tried this on the Desire*

Great app for fast text input.

Here is what it does.

You can download it here.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?nxmdgynzryd
    Version 1.56.30.7625

1. Download the file.
    2. Plug your phone into your computer
    3. Drop the file into the root directory of your micro sd.
    4. Plug out cable from phone..
    5. Open Astro, find the apk and install it from there.
    6. Close Astro.
    7. Go to settings - language and keyboard.
    8. Check the swype button.
    9. Open a new text message and hold your finger in the text entry box. (may take a few try's to bring up the menu)
    9. Select input method and select swype.

more videos

http://swypeinc.com/tips-tricks.html

There is a tutorial included in the app.

I have only tried this on the HTC Desire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

...or just click the link. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I tried shapewriter from the market, thought it was terrible. Presume this is pretty much the same thing? I find two thumb typing on the desire in landscape mode really fast already.

Suppose this would be good for doing it one handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Yeah, two thumb works well in landscape but I generally want just want to send a quick message/email in portrait mode. I got Swype about a month ago and I have to say I find it much better in portrait. It takes a little bit of getting used to but it's very intuitive and it learns your vocabulary quickly.

If I am using the phone in landscape I sometimes switch back to the original keyboard (just long press on a text box to select text input) to compare and there's not a huge difference. I'll stick with Swype for now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Been using Swype for a few months and I have to say I would never go back to any other form of text input.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Downloaded it and after only a couple of mins using it I can already say it's well worth it, typing is a lot faster and with a lot less mistakes.

Only thing is I wish double tap of space bar gave a full stop, and any idea how to turn off the sound?

• Advertisement

Menu > settings > keyboard and language > swype settings.

The full stop is beside the space bar, and you can set spaces to auto. ;)

I forgot to lock my phone earlier today and Swype sent this text;
    let's cPSYCHOSalgtch up soon. i'll be Leftright there.v lsd HEART lgf lgf

:D

JustinOval wrote: »
    Menu > settings > keyboard and language > swype settings.

The full stop is beside the space bar, and you can set spaces to auto. ;)

But it'd be nice if it had the HTC input method feature where after you double tap the space bar it inserts the full stop.

I thought maybe you could get around this by swyping over the full stop but that doesn't seem to work.

Also, it's a nice touch illuminating the chosen letter rather than the HTC method of the hovering letter, it's alot easier that way to confirm that you've hit the right letter.

edit: If this isn't via the Market, how do we know if there's an update available?

Does it use a lot of battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Cianos wrote: »
    Does it use a lot of battery?

Yes, in my experience. It's included under 'android' in the battery stats page and I've noticed that stat jumps by 10-20% with swype installed. I stopped using the last version on account of it.

Downloaded that new version this morning, sent five very short emails, one text and had one brief chat on talk and Android is at 50% for me now (would usually be less than 30 for the same sort of usage).

• Advertisement

That's interesting, I didn't realise it would have such an effect on battery life...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Andrew 83 wrote: »
    Been using Swype for a few months and I have to say I would never go back to any other form of text input.

Exactly this. I'm really interested to try out Swype on a tablet as well.

To those concermed about battery life - I haven't noticed a difference. If anything, Swype probably improves my battery life because I type faster and don't have the screen on for as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Seriously, go a day or two without swype and at the end of each day note your Android percentage in the battery use screen.

Then do the same with swype installed for a couple of days. Bet you'll see an increase of at least 5-10% under the Android stat.

In my experience it's costing me between 1 hour and 4 hours of battery life per day (depending on how much I'm actually using the keyboard).

Could be wrong of course, but I tested the old version quite a bit before giving up on it. This new one seems to be even more of a battery hog, on first impressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Love Swype, but got a message today to say that the trial version has expired. How do you update to latest version for Hero?

Yeah, mine has quit too. :rolleyes:

Scratch that, I was on v1.25, uninstalling and installing the version in the OP is working fine, looks nicer too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Love swype and will continue to use it regardless of it's effect on battery lifetime.

Does anyone ever encounter this problem?

The second word of the second sentence of most my entries usually gets capitalised. It's not a major issue but something that happens quite often and is mildly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Mine didn't expire, its v 1.56 which I got from the marketplace and it does look better than an older version I used to have a while back but un installed.

Anyone know if there's an option to have a hide keyboard key?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi Guys

have downloaded this to the SD root. Activated it from the Settings > Langauge & keyboard Menu

However when I select text message input settings I cannot see 'Input method' anywhere in the list. it doesnt exist in my settings. anyone have similar issues?

have power cycled several times and re-installed with no change.

Just hold your finger in any text box and then select the input method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭listermint

made a hames of the holding down of the key.

got it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭igor420

listermint wrote: »
    made a hames of the holding down of the key.

got it! :)

Yea, i takes a few goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭New.White.Socks

I can't believe how good this is! Much better than I thought it would be even after seeing the video on it.
    My only issue is that the voice input button that was on the bottom left of my old (nexus one) keyboard gone. Does anyone know if it's possible to get that back?

Nah, you need to switch keyboards to get the voice function.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Techcrunch has this to become available to all on
    [url]Http://beta.swype.com[/url]
    from tomorrow.

Do yourself a favour and check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,798 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What's the best way to go about swyping unknown words? I liked the way in android, if you typed something, you got the option of what exactly you typed to the left of the suggested word, in swype however, the pop up box of suggestions doesn't contain the letters you mainly swyped so I think the only alternative is to press each letter individually?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I press all the keys individually and then swpe automatically adds it to my dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

long_b wrote: »
    Techcrunch has this to become available to all on
    [url]Http://beta.swype.com[/url]
    from tomorrow.

Do yourself a favour and check it out.

Registered but never got a confirmation email and cant log in. Anyone have a download link?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,798 ✭✭✭✭cormie

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I press all the keys individually and then swpe automatically adds it to my dictionary.
    Ah didn't know that, must keep an eye out so :)
    GStormcrow wrote: »
    Registered but never got a confirmation email and cant log in. Anyone have a download link?

What's the point in registering at that site? Is everything we need not in the first post of this thread already? What's special about the link? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

cormie wrote: »
    What's the point in registering at that site? Is everything we need not in the first post of this thread already? What's special about the link? :)

The link isn't the official app and a modded version with the license.dat file edited so it shouldn't expire..

but, this has been the case on earlier modded versions and they expired as well :(..

so the beta is the official release from Swype inc. and they publish the update to those who are in the beta..

I could be wrong but i've been using mod versions since march and this is whats happening as far as i know..

Advertisement