Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build up to the 2010 European Championships, Barcelona (Steve Colvert qualifies)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Very impressive from a guy who is still learning the event. 1500 is definately his distance. 3.36 this season is a distinct possibility.

Its all down to his 12 XC runs in the park:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Dr Watson wrote: »
    Kennedy broke 48, running in very windy conditions, in Bedford last Sunday.So def have him on the relay.

There were winds of 6 m/s and he ran 47.9 so a welcome return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

runjb wrote: »
    I think Claire Brady (11.60), Derval (11.70) and Kelly Proper (11.70) will be on the team for Geneva, last place then between Niamh Whelan and Ailis McSweeney. Could go either way.

Strong team no doubt.

According to derval's blog its currently mcsweeney, dor, proper, brady with whelan sub. Also doing baton practice already.

Good to see Mary Cullen down for the 3000 at the ETC as I had heard she was injured again a while but obviously she must be ok and it wasn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Derval O'Rourke in action over the hurdles in Bydgoszcz tomorrow against a loaded field:

OROURKE Derval 91-01-01 IRELAND 12.67/09

-
    KOCIELNIK Joanna 83-03-11 KS Orzeł Warszawa

-
    JONES Lolo 82-08-05 UNITED STATES 12.43/08 12.63w

-
    LOPES-SCHLIEP Priscilla 82-08-26 CANADA 12.49/09 12.69

-
    ENNIS Delloreen 75-03-05 JAMAICA 12.50/07 12.73

-
    FELICIEN Perdita 80-08-29 CANADA 12.46/04 12.80

-
    WELLS Kellie 82-07-16 UNITED STATES 12.58/08 12.86

-
    ŠKROBÁKOVÁ Lucie 82-01-04 CZECH REPUBLIC 12.73/09 12.97

-
    ADIGUN Seun 87-03-01 NIGERIA 12.88/09 13.16

-
    YANOWSKA Olena 90-02-15 UKRAINE 13.8h/10 13.67w

Tingle wrote: »
    Good to see Mary Cullen down for the 3000 at the ETC as I had heard she was injured again a while but obviously she must be ok and it wasn't true.

Think she did get injured again. Hopefully just a blip, she deserves a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

Gillick gets his season underway tomorrow in Rabat, Morocco, followed by the Diamond League on Thursday in Rome. It'll be an interesting week, I'd say he is in good enough shape and has nearly another 2 months to peak for Europeans.

Derval is facing a strong field in her first hurdles race of the season. She will probably be a little rusty but it'll be good to get things rolling for her.

Chamney's 3.39 was super last night, let's hope now he can continue to progress. He could be a dark horse to do well in Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Gregan also in action this weekend in France. Given his season opener was his fastest by .5 so optimistic season ahead for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 anotheronebites

big red mccarthy...1:48.19 to hit the standard at tullamore
    alan o brien 1:48.47 for second
    david mccarthy 1:49.2

good running from them

Good going by McCarthy senior - two major championships in one year.

Alistair Cragg returns from the dead in the 1500m at the Adidas New York Diamond League meet.

Some good results coming in from Belgium:

An Irish 1-2-3 in the 200m:

1 2 9718 STEVEN COLVERT IRL Sen 21.39
    2 3 9722 RUSSEL CHRIS IRL Sen 21.43
    3 4 9556 DARRAGH GRAHAM IRL Sen 21.59

A couple of PBs, perhaps?

Some of the races were experiencing strong negative winds, but Niamh Whelan won the women's 100m by .47 with 11.96 into a -1.8 wind, and with just one other competitor in the race! Clare Brady and the rest of the field DNS.

In a second race, both Whelan and Brady ran 11.72 (+0.1).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

Some good times there. The season is finally starting to get going. Where are you getting the results from belgium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lacticsmygame

Rineanna wrote: »
    Some good results coming in from Belgium:

An Irish 1-2-3 in the 200m:

1 2 9718 STEVEN COLVERT IRL Sen 21.39
    2 3 9722 RUSSEL CHRIS IRL Sen 21.43
    3 4 9556 DARRAGH GRAHAM IRL Sen 21.59

A couple of PBs, perhaps?

Yeah, that was the heats though. Russell won final with 21.66 with Graham the second Irish athlete home and 3rd overall with 22 flat. Colvert DNF in final. Pb's for Colvert and Russell, not sure about Graham. The race to Barca is heating up big time!! :D

Goofy wrote: »
    Some good times there. The season is finally starting to get going. Where are you getting the results from belgium?

http://www.ifam.be/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=108

Gillick/Gregan/Hesh/McCarthy

Strongest two on first so we dont fall to far behind the Brits (france and belgium wil lbe strong as well), Hesh latching onto the third leg runner and outsprinting him do:Dwn the home straight :D and McCarthy using his 800 strength to hold off Martyn Rooney to bring home Gold for Ireland haha :D

Alot of people are forgetting about Brian Murphy who clocked 47.07 last year. He will be hoping to get the individual standard this year (46.75) let alone the 4x4 so I can't understand why no one has been mentioning his name. Gordon Kennedy is back in some kind of form now too which is good to see. As for Hession doing a 4 leg...that just wouldn't happen and wouldn't be wise for him or the Irish team.

Can't believe the increase in quality of Irish sprinting this year!

Mark Kenneally misses Euro 10.000m qualifying standard, placing 22nd at the Euro 10,000m cup with 29'36''48.

Gary Thornton ran 30'22''27 in the B race, while Ava Hutchinson ran 34'10''75.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭TrackFan123

If GB hurdler Andy Turner can clock a 46.1 relay split, then Hession certainly can.

47.07 is ok, but he's gonna get raped in Barcelona running around that time!

If GB hurdler Andy Turner can clock a 46.1 relay split, then Hession certainly can.

Presuming he got the 46.75 which is a reasonable presumption and he ran that time in his heat he would only be 2/10ths off the slowest qualifier to a semi-final based on the last European Championships.

Also, based on last year's rankings, only 6 countries had 4 athletes who ran inside the qualifying standard - GBR, GER, BEL, RUS, POL, FRA. If Brian Murphy ran 46.75 and was our 4th fastest man then we would have a decent team.

Unfortunately, it now looks that neither O'Rourke or Gillick are running today. Neither are on the respective meet's start-lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

Derval is definitely not competing. She is training today so that rules a trip to Germany out. She hasn't been doing too much training over hurdles recently, mainly focusing on her speed so maybe she needs another week or two to tune things up, probably wise!

Surprised Gillick is not competing, he seems mad to race. So his opener will probably be the Diamond League meet in Rome next week - what a way to open the season!!

Brian Gregan ran 46.65 to win in France yesterday. Very encouraging.

• Advertisement

Do u think hession could beat the likes of Brian Gregan in a 400? I really doubt that. Hession is an extremely tense and tight runner with a short stride - characteristics which would see him reach 300 and then die a grueling death. I really don't think he would hit a low 46. That is serious running. Maybe he would though but I don't know...I'd love to see him give it a whack anyway!
    Also, based on last year's rankings, only 6 countries had 4 athletes who ran inside the qualifying standard - GBR, GER, BEL, RUS, POL, FRA. If Brian Murphy ran 46.75 and was our 4th fastest man then we would have a decent team.

Exactly. Hopefully the likes of Kennedy will push for the individual standard too leaving Ireland with a competitive team, as you said. I think he'll get the standard too as (I heard today) he ran 47.3 over the weekend in Copenhagen or somewhere.

Another junior ran 48 today, Kervick at Leinster champs in 48.3. 5 juniors have run 48 outdoors this year.

Do u think hession could beat the likes of Brian Gregan in a 400? I really doubt that. Hession is an extremely tense and tight runner with a short stride - characteristics which would see him reach 300 and then die a grueling death. I really don't think he would hit a low 46. That is serious running. Maybe he would though but I don't know...I'd love to see him give it a whack anyway!

Exactly. Hopefully the likes of Kennedy will push for the individual standard too leaving Ireland with a competitive team, as you said. I think he'll get the standard too as (I heard today) he ran 47.3 over the weekend in Copenhagen or somewhere.

No I dont think Hession would beat Gregan but i think he would run faster splits than Murphy, Kennedy etc

Another junior ran 48 today, Kervick at Leinster champs in 48.3. 5 juniors have run 48 outdoors this year.

Crowe, Maher, Dowling, Scanlan and now Kervick, with Harvey running well indoors.

Looks like another relay team hopefully at the Worlds. Looks stronger than the one that went to Serbia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Athletics25

Kervick 48.52 according to Leinster site.

What an U/20 Championship it could be

Kervick 48.52
    Crowe 48.58
    Dowling 48.92
    Scanlan 48.94 (48.38 Indoors)
    Maher 48.99
    Hannon 49.14
    Harvey 50.67 (48.76 Indoors)

I think that is right?

Kervick 48.52 according to Leinster site.

What an U/20 Championship it could be

Kervick 48.52
    Crowe 48.58
    Dowling 48.92
    Scanlan 48.94 (48.38 Indoors)
    Maher 48.99
    Hannon 49.14
    Harvey 50.67 (48.76 Indoors)

I think that is right?

That and the U23 100m could be the race of the day at those champs;

Colvert
    Russel
    Adams
    Holmes
    Hynes
    O'Shea?

Is Smyth still U23?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 letsbefriends

gillick has pulled out of rome

Paul Hession in action in Warsaw today, in Rome and then in Turin at the weekend.

gillick has pulled out of rome

:( He did tweak his hamstring in training last week according to his blog, so hopefully it's just precautionary.

Rineanna wrote: »
    Paul Hession in action in Warsaw today, in Rome and then in Turin at the weekend.

:( He did tweak his hamstring in training last week according to his blog, so hopefully it's just precautionary.

Actually, it turns out that after pulling out of Rabat as a precaution, the Rome meet director gave away his lane!

From the horse's mouth:

http://www.davidgillick.com/blog/Shafted!!.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 anotheronebites

sucks to be him..wheres he racing next so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement