Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 + Mobile Broadband (Vodafone)

Options
  • 29-03-2010 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭

I have vodafone mobile broadband, and heard all you need to do to play ps3 online is to connect through the comptuer onto the vodafone network, insert an ethernet cable from the laptop into the ps, and enable sharing..
    When I connect the usb, connect to vodafone then insert the ethernet cable, it disconnects from vodafone, stopping me from play ps online :mad:.
    Can anyone help? I'll be your friend... :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

What I mean to say is, I can connect to vodafone network grand, once I insert the ethernet cable into the ps and then the laptop, the computer disconnects from vodafone network, and says it's connected through the LAN connection...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've never done it, but i'd imagine you'd need to set your PS3 and Laptop static ip addresses.

EDIT: also isnt there some settings on the vodafone connect where it will use wired or wireless before the dongle if available, maybe you need to disable this

I tried to prioritise wireless over lan, but lan remains stickied to the top of the list. Also I set it to not to change to new connections, yet it still does.
    I removed the lan connection, and still when I click in the ethernet cable, it disconnects :mad:
    Sorry for askin again, but I'd love to play cod on mobile b-band :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

When i connected my xBox that way I had to bridge the connections to get it to work.

This thread is for xBox but there might be some tips in there you can use.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055211456

EGriff wrote: »
    When i connected my xBox that way I had to bridge the connections to get it to work.

This thread is for xBox but there might be some tips in there you can use.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055211456

Thanks, but I haven't gotten as far as to connect the playstation with the ethernet cable, when I connect it into the computer, vodafone disconnects from it's own network, and seems to connect to the lan connection. Maybe I should go tech forum? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Laptop:

I went into 'Network and Sharing', and then into 'Manage Network Connections'. Right click on the vodafone icon (or whatever ISP you're with), and click 'Properties'. Go into 'Sharing' then tick 'Allow other users to share this computer's internet connection'. In the box below this ('Home Networking Connection), choose 'Local Area Connection'. Press 'OK'. It will advise you of some stuff, but just press 'OK'. As long as you haven't diabled any relevant services (networking/sharing), your computer won't 'voice' any objections.

Now for the PS3:

Make sure you've connected the ethernet cable from your computer's ethernet interface to your PS3's ethernet interface. Go into 'Settings', then 'Network Settings'. Now choose 'Internet Connection Settings'. It will then say 'If you perform Internet connection settings, the system will be disconnected. Press 'YES'. Select 'EASY'. It will check for 'Network Configuration'. For 'IP Address Setting', choose 'Automatic. For 'DHCP', choose 'Do Not Set'. For 'DNS', choose 'Automatic'. For 'MTU', choose 'Automatic'. For 'Proxy Server', choose 'Do Not Use'. For 'UPnP' choose 'Enable'. The list of everything you've chosen will then be shown. Press 'X' on your controller. Press 'X' again to test the connection. Your PS3 will test the connection. You should be successful in obtaining an IP address, and with establishing an internet connection. It may tell you to update your PS3's software.

Say I'm connected grand to vodafone, typing this message, once I connect the yellow ethernet cable into the laptop, it Immediately disconnects from vodafone, connects to the LAN connection, thus, making my laptop go offline from the internet, and the playstation disconnected from the internet also.. This is disgustingly annoying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sounds like an IP address conflict. Both the USB Vodafone dongle and the laptop/PS3 are trying to use same "default gateway".
    What gateway address is assigned for vodafone dongle and the laptop?
    Its usually something like 192.168.0.1

Stupid Question: How do I find these out, I vaguely remember trying AGES ago..

EDIT: Got it, for the computer's connection it's set as defualt for both the tv/ip 4 and tv/ip 6 connection thingy-ma-bobs, lol, don't know about the vodafone, checking atm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

Whats OS are you using? XP, Vista or W7?

• Advertisement

Vista.
    My main problem is when I'm connected to the internet as I am at the moment, it disconnects straight away once I connect the ethernet cable (that's already connected to the ps)

Did you follow the steps i told you?

Disabling the firewall seemingly helps a bit as well.
    Although in this instance it might not.

I have a vodafone dongle, ill set it up now.
    DO you have windows xp, vista or 7?

It goes from this:
    26805701.jpg

To this:
    afterdj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I just followed eddhorse instructions and it worked for me on Three. I had the same problem as Leeg17 the first time I connected ps3 and laptop with network cable. Not sure how I fixed it, most of my changes were on the ps3 so Im guessing something there was causing a conflict. This time out I used auto settings and it works.

Will try that, thanks.

Well the good news is someone was helped :D

Nvm, thought you were the guy whose problems were solved

I tried doing a quick restore on the playstation, plugged in the ethernet cable into the laptop (was already on internet on it) .. Both connections were active, then as soon as I began setting the wired connection on the laptop.. The vodafone connection was terminated :confused:.. Seriously!! Bout to smash the vodafone dongle to bits :mad::mad::mad:

eddhorse wrote: »
    Well the good news is someone was helped :D

Spent many an hour trying to find a solution, muchas gracias.

Spent many an hour trying to find a solution, muchas gracias.

You are welcome :p

• Advertisement

Ok it works for me with my vodafone dongle and i have been doing screenshots along the way so i will post a document probably tomorrow.

Ok you are on Vista so my screenies are going to be a tad different.
    I did notice that is does set the IP address of the LAN to static 192.168.0.1 which ONGARITE suggested.
    Is the cable directly connecting into the PS3 or are you going to some other device in the middle first? ie a switch, router or access point?

I then got the operation timed out message when trying to get an IP address on the PS3 but that was resolved by turning off my firewall.
    But you arent getting that far...

When you do lose connection when you plug in your cable to the laptop, go through the settings on the ps3 and choose everything to be automatic just in case there is some similar IP on it

Ok i have made up some screenshots in a pdf for Vodafone in Vista and XP.

Mods can you sticky as these threads are a dime a dozen, even create a new thread/sticky with just the PDF's, i have a mac one somewhere as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I will be doing this at some stage. What is the speed like? Can't be that great for playing online?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Im pretty sure the ops problem is to do with the Vodafone settings, that Vodafone application has a setting where you chose what connection takes preference, by default it will try use Wired and Wireless before using the vodafone connection.

I checked my version which is older by the looks of things.
    And couldnt find any similar settings.
    I will update to the newest one and check...

Insurgent wrote: »
    I will be doing this at some stage. What is the speed like? Can't be that great for playing online?

I still dont know! I can get online but I need to do a system update. When I download the update it states an error has occurred. Going to try via storage media tonight.

Sincere thanks to eddhorse, for all the time that went into that guide.
    Mods: Sticky that if possible, looks like it'd help ALOT of people.

But my problem isn't necessarily with the logistics of how to get online with the playstation, as the poster above me said:
    When I connect the ethernet cable from the playstation *directly* into the laptop, I'm booted from my current (and otherwise active) vodafone connection, and connected to the new LAN connection.

-> Sometimes, *and rarely*, when I connect the ethernet cable first, then connect to vodafone, both are active, but when I try to create a new wired connection on the playstation, I'm immediately booted from vodafone, as before... *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

eddhorse wrote: »
    Ok i have made up some screenshots in a pdf for Vodafone in Vista and XP.

Mods can you sticky as these threads are a dime a dozen, even create a new thread/sticky with just the PDF's, i have a mac one somewhere as well

Dont need it but nice work ...credit where credits due !

Spot on no bother, will be easier for everyone involved. :D

Leeg17 i will be testing the updated vodafone dongle shortly.
    Which one do you have? :
    http://www.business.vodafone.com/site/bus/public/enuk/support/10_productsupport/usb_stick/p_usb_stick_2row.jsp

I have the Huawei E220 :
    http://www.business.vodafone.com/site/bus/public/enuk/support/10_productsupport/05_vmc_usb_modem/p_usb_modems.jsp

• Advertisement

Got a MAC document together :

Advertisement