Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shmalentine

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a nightmare situation here so any help/ advise would be greatly appreciated as I haven't been able to get through to the passport offices at all.
    I'm flying on the 17th September but stupidly lost my passport over the weekend in Dublin. I'v accepted its gone forever so iv began applying for a new one.
    I am an Irish Citizen but I was not born in Ireland ( Born in the Isle of Man,I'v just got off the phone with the registration offices there and hopefully i'll be getting my long birth certificate in around 3 or 4 days). My parents are also Irish Citizens and have been for over 30 years but they were also not born in Ireland. Because of all this I'v ticked 'Foreign Birth Registration' (correct me if thats wrong).

What I am confused about now is what documents I have to put in with my application because the website and the information on the application form are different. The application form says I would need to submit the long birth certificates of one of my parents but this will not be possible as my parents were born in Pakistan and the process of getting that if they even could would take weeks, time which I dont have. But the website just says that I need to submit 1) MY long birth certificate 2) My passport from the country I was born (dont have this as I was a very young and under my mums passport) and a Foreign Birth Certificate (hopefully my dad has this).

Can anyone clarify exactly what documents I need. I'm very stressed at the moment because the reason I'm flying is to sit an extremely important exam which cost a lot of money.
    Sorry for the long winded message.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a nightmare situation here so any help/ advise would be greatly appreciated as I haven't been able to get through to the passport offices at all.
    I'm flying on the 17th September but stupidly lost my passport over the weekend in Dublin. I'v accepted its gone forever so iv began applying for a new one.
    I am an Irish Citizen but I was not born in Ireland ( Born in the Isle of Man,I'v just got off the phone with the registration offices there and hopefully i'll be getting my long birth certificate in around 3 or 4 days). My parents are also Irish Citizens and have been for over 30 years but they were also not born in Ireland. Because of all this I'v ticked 'Foreign Birth Registration' (correct me if thats wrong).

What I am confused about now is what documents I have to put in with my application because the website and the information on the application form are different. The application form says I would need to submit the long birth certificates of one of my parents but this will not be possible as my parents were born in Pakistan and the process of getting that if they even could would take weeks, time which I dont have. But the website just says that I need to submit 1) MY long birth certificate 2) My passport from the country I was born (dont have this as I was a very young and under my mums passport) and a Foreign Birth Certificate (hopefully my dad has this).

Can anyone clarify exactly what documents I need. I'm very stressed at the moment because the reason I'm flying is to sit an extremely important exam which cost a lot of money.

Thanks

It would sound like FBR alright so you will certainly need that.

I might be wrong but I think you will need proof of how your parents became Irish citizens. You will need your long form birth certificate.

Anyone know the best way to contact the office. No replies to emails and the phone never seems to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is a replacement for a lost passport with issue date of the 26th August and is needed for travel to the US on the 2nd September (so ESTA will need to be done etc) worthy of a panic yet?

AGC wrote: »
    It would sound like FBR alright so you will certainly need that.

I might be wrong but I think you will need proof of how your parents became Irish citizens. You will need your long form birth certificate.

Could I send in one of my parents passports as proof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

Does anyone know how long the status usually stays at " is being checked"?
    Its been like this for 24 hours now and the Issue date says 19/08/2014 which is today

It stays at that for how long it takes to check it which really varies upon the circumstances. Like, they may be trying to call the guard who witnessed your application or even just the station but some of those places keep funny hours. There's the other document checks to be done as well, I suppose, which can take time. It just all depends, but normally it takes less than a day if everything is in order, as far as I know.

Anyone know the best way to contact the office. No replies to emails and the phone never seems to go through.

It's crap, but the offices seem to be virtually uncontactable for some during the summer months at least, but then you hear other people saying that their email was promptly responded to, so I don't know. I'm guessing it comes down to dumb luck of sending an email which hits the top of their inbox just as an office worker is sitting down to answer a few. As for the phone, I'm fairly convinced they just send it straight to hold regardless....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Thanks

It sounds like your parents are naturalised Irish citizens? If this is correct, then it is possible that they used FBR to pass their Irish citizenship onto you, although it is also possible that they moved to Ireland, became Irish citizens through naturalisation, and also applied for naturalisation for you as well. Without having more information, it is impossible to say whether you are an Irish citizen through FBR or Naturalisatipn.

In any case, however you acquired Irish citizenship, you would have been issued with a certificate (I'm assuming it's either an FBR cert or a Naturalisation cert). You would need to provide this certificate, along with your civil birth certificate, civil marriage certificate (if appropriate), any deed polls / divorce certificates if you have changed your name / divorced, etc. If you have misplaced / lost / can't find this certificate, you will need to get a replacement.

On top of all this, unfortunately, because you have lost your most recent passport, you will need to provide: copy of photo ID (driver's licence, work ID, student ID, etc), documentary evidence to show use of name (e.g., payslips, social welfare letters, bank statement, college registration, etc), evidence of residence at address (e.g., utility bills, letters from public/private organisations, etc)

As you were born on the Isle of Man and your parents were Irish citizens, would you have an entitlement to a UK passport by the way? Would this be faster than getting an Irish passport (given that you're travelling in a few weeks' time)?

fxotoole wrote: »
    It sounds like your parents are naturalised Irish citizens? If this is correct, then it is possible that they used FBR to pass their Irish citizenship onto you, although it is also possible that they moved to Ireland, became Irish citizens through naturalisation, and also applied for naturalisation for you as well. Without having more information, it is impossible to say whether you are an Irish citizen through FBR or Naturalisatipn.

In any case, however you acquired Irish citizenship, you would have been issued with a certificate (I'm assuming it's either an FBR cert or a Naturalisation cert). You would need to provide this certificate, along with your civil birth certificate, civil marriage certificate (if appropriate), any deed polls / divorce certificates if you have changed your name / divorced, etc. If you have misplaced / lost / can't find this certificate, you will need to get a replacement.

On top of all this, unfortunately, because you have lost your most recent passport, you will need to provide: copy of photo ID (driver's licence, work ID, student ID, etc), documentary evidence to show use of name (e.g., payslips, social welfare letters, bank statement, college registration, etc), evidence of residence at address (e.g., utility bills, letters from public/private organisations, etc)

Thank you so much for your reply, Iv been emailing someone at the offices who has basically said the same thing as you. She is also saying though Im not entitled to apply for an emergency passport because I'v lost this one? This cant be right? Surely the priority service is also available for those who have lost/ stolen passport as well as those who are looking to renew on an emergency basis.

Does anyone know if she might be mistaken?

• Advertisement

Thank you so much for your reply, Iv been emailing someone at the offices who has basically said the same thing as you. She is also saying though Im not entitled to apply for an emergency passport because I'v lost this one? This cant be right? Surely the priority service is also available for those who have lost/ stolen passport as well as those who are looking to renew on an emergency basis.

Does anyone know if she might be mistaken?

What she probably means is that you won't get an emergency passport unless you are travelling abroad for a medical emergency / someone in your family is critically ill / died.

Emergency passports are not issued for holidays, especially if you have a few weeks left till you travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

As you were born on the Isle of Man and your parents were Irish citizens, would you have an entitlement to a UK passport by the way? Would this be faster than getting an Irish passport (given that you're travelling in a few weeks' time)?

You haven't been keeping up with the news. The UK passport office is a complete shambles.

You haven't been keeping up with the news. The UK passport office is a complete shambles.
    I am aware of that. I am trying to give the poor fella some options.

What she probably means is that you won't get an emergency passport unless you are travelling abroad for a medical emergency / someone in your family is critically ill / died.

Emergency passports are not issued for holidays, especially if you have a few weeks left till you travel.

Well to be honest its not a medical emergency but its certainly not for a holiday either. It's to sit a very important exam.. My flight isn't until the 16th but my long form birth certificate wont arrive until Friday at the earliest so I'll be cutting it ridiculously close if I get the application out on the Friday seeing as its minimum of 15 working days.

Would it be worth my while to book an appointment with the post offices anyways and plead my case?

I am aware of that. I am trying to give the poor fella some options.

Well you're not giving him/her much hope if you're suggesting that applying to the UK Passport office could be a better option than applying here. The delays for overseas applicants are horrendous.

Well you're not giving him/her much hope if you're suggesting that applying to the UK Passport office could be a better option than applying here. The delays for overseas applicants are horrendous.

I'm only noticing this point now. I can't apply for a British passport unfortunately. I already have dual citizenship and also I think the requirements for becoming a citizen from the Isle of Man are a lot more than just being born there.

Thanks though

Personally, I would be making an appointment for the assurance of getting a passport before I travel.

Where did I say it's a better option? It's just another option. He/She could lodge applications in both offices, and play the odds.

Anyway the poster has just replied saying they've investigated that route and it's a non-runner.

Where did I say it's a better option? It's just another option. He/She could lodge applications in both offices, and play the odds.

Anyway the poster has just replied saying they've investigated that route and it's a non-runner.

I stand corrected. You didn't say it would be a better option. You said it might be faster. Even worse.

I stand corrected. You didn't say it would be a better option. You said it might be faster. Even worse.

Ah lads there's no need for a petty argument. He/She was just trying to be helpful and I appreciated it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I have to fly for work on sept 7th and just realised my passport has expired. I know I need to go to the passport office in person do I need to have all the photos signed by Garda or can the people in the passport office do this? And do I need to make an appointment now to go there or is there still the option to just go there and wait my turn? Lastly do I have any chance if getting a passport issued in time? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

screamer wrote: »
    I have to fly for work on sept 7th and just realised my passport has expired. I know I need to go to the passport office in person do I need to have all the photos signed by Garda or can the people in the passport office do this? And do I need to make an appointment now to go there or is there still the option to just go there and wait my turn? Lastly do I have any chance if getting a passport issued in time? Thanks

You have to make an appointment. You have to get your forms and photos stamped by the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 does not compute

Thanks to the guys in the passport office. Am collecting the passport today after emailing them. Very decent folks indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Would like to thank JohnMearsheimer for dealing with mine and my boyfriend's passports, was lovely on the phone and they came on time. Flying to England today thanks to him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

So, I'm getting a bit concerned about my application now. Its been on Checking status for 7 days and was supposed to be issued yesterday.

Anybody had this happen before?

Can't actually get through to the Passport office either.

Tried Emailing them yesterday but got no reply yet and also ringing on 6797600 and 6711633.

Got auto reponses on both lines which pretty much said use the website to check status.

I'm due to travel on 31st but need to apply for visa before hand. Visa should only take a day or two though I believe

Any ideas/help?

alph wrote: »
    So, I'm getting a bit concerned about my application now. Its been on Checking status for 7 days and was supposed to be issued yesterday.

Tried Emailing them yesterday but got no reply yet and also ringing on 6797600 and 6711633.

Got auto reponses on both lines which pretty much said use the website to check status.

I'm due to travel on 31st but need to apply for visa before hand. Visa should only take a day or two though I believe

Any ideas/help?

I'd be making my way to the Passport office with proof of travel and make your case to the person at reception, explaining that you need to apply for a visa.

Any ideas/help?

7 days? That's a long time to be with a checker, I think, and would strongly point to the suspicion that they're trying to verify some information you provided,, but can't. If that is the case, they really ought to be ringing you, not the other way around. If (horror of horrors) the application gets rejected, you will get a letter back in the post stating the reasons for that rejection with a phone number you can call, presumably the person who is doing your application. Just hopefully you get an update either way in the next day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

Right, I booked an appointment there but earliest one is on Monday 25th.

For the options, I selected I have my old passport in hand (although I don't as I submitted it with my application). Is this ok?

Will I need a new passport application + photgraphs?

Bit of a nightmare this, would be nice if they could contact me about any issues, they have 3 methods to contact me on the application :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

AdMMM wrote: »
    Is a replacement for a lost passport with issue date of the 26th August and is needed for travel to the US on the 2nd September (so ESTA will need to be done etc) worthy of a panic yet?
    Anyone have any advice on this?

Is the estimated issue date usually pretty accurate? I'll have limited time to deal with this next week if there is a delay, but if there's likely to be one, I can plan in advance to deal with it.

• Advertisement

Right, I booked an appointment there but earliest one is on Monday 25th.

For the options, I selected I have my old passport in hand (although I don't as I submitted it with my application). Is this ok?

Will I need a new passport application + photgraphs?

Bit of a nightmare this, would be nice if they could contact me about any issues, they have 3 methods to contact me on the application :(

I would get all the required documentation (filled out form, birth cert, 4 identical passport-sized photos, 2 of them signed AND stamped by the same guard witnessing the application form, plus additional form of photo ID such as driver's licence, student ID, documents showing a record of your name and address) that a first-time applicant would need. Not necessarily because you'll need it all but to prove to the passport office that you are who you say you are. Ideally, you should be able to quote them your passport number as well so they can look it up. I would have to assume they keep records of pictures and all that, so if you tell them your number and present them with that information, they should be able to advise since your passport application is in a bit of a limbo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement